Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I might drive one, have always said that

I can tell you I would NEVER buy a Skoda

Cheap mans VW

.... and that says a lot more about you than either of those vehicle brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can tell you I would NEVER buy a Skoda

Cheap mans VW

LOL!

They're not as good value as they used to be, but the Skodas are the same cars as the Volkswagens and the Audis. People like yourself just pay 10 grand extra for a badge and a slighly nicer interior. Me, I'd take the Skoda and keep the money in my pocket...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    LOL!

They're not as good value as they used to be, but the Skodas are the same cars as the Volkswagens and the Audis. People like yourself just pay 10 grand extra for a badge and a slighly nicer interior. Me, I'd take the Skoda and keep the money in my pocket...
    I think ye've missed the subtext here lads tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It does alright

I'd buy any car

Badge snobs are a bit dim tbh

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think ye've missed the subtext here lads tbh

There is no subtext

He hates Tesla and loves VW

Its very childish, I would buy a VW EV nó prob if they ever release one

Would love nothing more than a Golf or Polo sized 50kWh VW

Only Tesla are producing them long range EV’s in volume

They should get more recognition here

LOL!

I'd love a Skoda EV

Skoda Octavia 60kWh EV for 10k less than Passat

Yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For the 1 millionth time

I do not hate Tesla. I just don't buy the bull***t the fire out. Check out the US car forums as well and a lot of people are starting to figure that out as well......

The article posted is a load of crap. Take the Tesla glasses off and read it again. They are talking about 3,000 car into Europe because Tesla will be producing 7k per week????? of course it says "reports say" which gives them a way out.

Tesla haven't even started to produce 5k cars per week and it is nearly 12 months since they said they would be able to do it, so how have they suddenly jumped from under 5k car per week to 7k per week? what is it based on? how did they transform the business suddenly they can produce 7k car per week when after 12 months of hardship they haven't manage 5k? and before you start I am talking about sustained production, not 1 week

The only child around here is the one that has to close down an account every 2-3 weeks and create a new one.

As I have said 100 times, I do like a VW. Love a Audi but really love a Saab but they went bust

If I wanted a cheap VW I would buy a Seat. Not drive around in a tractor on wheel like a Skoda......

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Only Tesla are producing them long range EV’s in volume

They should get more recognition here

The only company producing and supply electric cars at the moment is Nissan/Renault

If I wanted a cheap VW I would buy a Seat. Not drive around in a tractor on wheel like a Skoda......

You seem a very angry man

How would a Skoda EV be a tractor on wheels?

Why do you hate Skoda?

Do you not like to shop in Aldi/Lidl too?

One of those Dunnes/Supervalu folks?

The only company producing and supply electric cars at the moment is Nissan/Renault

Short range ones that gives EVs an unnecessary bad rep

Nothing long range like Tesla or Hyundai group

The CEO is in jail now too and was the mastermind behind the short range EV push, without him the Alliance will probably break up and Nissan will go back to being Jap and downsize EV operation like Mazda, Toyota, Subaru etc

• Advertisement

Mike9832 wrote: »
    You seem a very angry man

How would a Skoda EV be a tractor on wheels?

Why do you hate Skoda?

Do you not like to shop in Aldi/Lidl too?

One of those Dunnes/Supervalu folks?

You drive a Skoda, you should know why it's a tractor....

I was unfortunate enough one day to have one as a garage car.....awful

Dunnes Stores????? you class Dunnes Stores as step up? :eek:

You drive a Skoda, you should know why it's a tractor....

I was unfortunate enough one day to have one as a garage car.....awful

Dunnes Stores????? you class Dunnes Stores as step up? :eek:

I dont but you think a VW EV will be vastly superior to a Skoda EV

All diesels sound like tractors

Your making a fool of yourself as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

LOL!

They are not the same cars. Sole fact of sharing majority of components does not make the identical.

While Skoda and Seat might have similar components as a corresponding VW, Audi share much much less. There will be differences on sound proofing, interior design and finish, quality control, warranty and service etc.

hatrack wrote: »
    Prices have already been announced for a number of European countries so they’re either absorbing the extra cost, have factored it in or will do something to avoid the duty.

Agree it’s hard to see them being able to ‘assemble’ 3,000 a week in Tilburg.

With the 10% duty, the estimated prices of Model 3 in Ireland are:

$35000 - €38000
    $45000 - €52000
    $53000 - €63000 (AWD)
    $64000 - €78000 (Performance)

This aligns pretty well with the price estimations based on already announced German pricing of AWD and Performance models.

grogi wrote: »
    There will be differences on sound proofing, interior design and finish

Exactly. Same car in either jeans or in a fur coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

They are not the same cars. Sole fact of sharing majority of components does not make the identical.

While Skoda and Seat might have similar components as a corresponding VW, Audi share much much less. There will be differences on sound proofing, interior design and finish, quality control, warranty and service etc.

Yes your correct, Skoda is generally superior! If you’ve done a back to back drive in a Passat versus Superb you would know this. Check out JD survey for reliability if you want to confirm where Skoda performs within the VW group.

The biggest issue I have with Skoda’s is that they are often more expensive now than the similar VW. I’m not saying Audi isn’t a step up in cabin quality , but the poster saying he would’nt drive a Skoda drives a base model standard Golf on poxy 16in alloys and cloth seats which is a grim life, and that’s before you mention the 100 mile range

Casati wrote: »
    The biggest issue I have with Skoda’s is that they are often more expensive now than the similar VW.

Yes, no longer the bargain they once were.

About 16 years ago my mother in law was in the market for a modest new car. Her first ever (and last ever) new car. I was tasked to do the negotiations. She had a trade in worth about EUR300 (so not worth anything to the new car dealer :D)

Managed to get a green metallic Octavia 1.4 petrol (not the base model, the one with the bigger wheels, air con, electric windows) for €17k on the road. A more base spec Golf (far smaller on the inside) with the same engine would have been over €21k. So 20% discount for the Skoda - a car that's more reliable, better equipped and arguably better built (in the Czech republic) than the VW

The Octavia is still in the family. Very reliable apart from a few coil packs, nothing major has ever gone wrong with it.

Yes your correct, Skoda is generally superior! If you’ve done a back to back drive in a Passat versus Superb you would know this. Check out JD survey for reliability if you want to confirm where Skoda performs within the VW group.

Is it possible that Skoda scores better because users have lesser expectations?

I have driven many modern Skodas in my life and each of them was flawed. Engines, gearboxes, suspension - all were good. But one had a cable too short by 2cm and stress causing contact issues. Poor water ingest management. Plastic covers around the seat falling apart etc. If Skoda did something on their own, it wasnt as good as the platform parts...

I would drive a Skoda EV, no problem. They are grand cars. Typically bigger than their counterparts. But I would expect issues that will not be present on a similar VW.

The biggest issue I have with Skoda’s is that they are often more expensive now than the similar VW. I’m not saying Audi isn’t a step up in cabin quality , but the poster saying he would’nt drive a Skoda drives a base model standard Golf on poxy 16in alloys and cloth seats which is a grim life, and that’s before you mention the 100 mile range

The Superb is not the equivalent of the Passat.....the Octavia and the Passat are the same car.

The rest:P

Back to Model 3 discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The Superb is not the equivalent of the Passat.....the Octavia and the Passat are the same car.

The Octavia is the equivalent of the Golf, not the Passat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wait a min and I will ring them to ask.....

Sorry they didn't answer

So you think it’s relevant that they have shares but not how relevant how many they have? You are really showing your true colours

A VAG fan who doesn't even know their platforms? :p

The superb has always been a passat.
    Octavia is on the golf platform.

First superb was a lengthened b5(possibly b5.5?) passat.

Yes. It was a fantastic car - took the best Passat ever (of course not in terms of gadgets or fuel economy - but build quality) and made it even better. It only lacked some engine options the Passat would give the buyer. The increased length and legroom in second row became the signature of the Skoda Superb.

The second generation, this time build on Golf (not Passat) platform, also aimed to give the same ample legroom. That caused very narrow seats in the back, as the bench had to be pushed back and squeezed between the wheel arches, as well as the awfully awkward silhouette - the roof-line had to be modified as well.

The current generation seems more proportional - but the quality of interior is not superb. Rattles and squeaks very fast befriend the Superb driver (personally witnessed them in only 20kkm cars).

And for that reason I only hope that Model 3 that is sold in EU has interior properly designed and put together. In an EV rattles are faaaar more annoying than in a ICE.

ted1 wrote: »
    So you think it’s relevant that they have shares but not how relevant how many they have? You are really showing your true colours

What is the true colours? come on please share?

• Advertisement

A VAG fan who doesn't even know their platforms? :p

Sorry I have no idea about Skoda, why would I? they are awful cars.

Skoda has one of it biggest market share in Ireland. It says a lot for people that would prefer a new number plate instead of buying a decent car with some comforts in them.....

Skoda is a taxi drivers car, end of story. Ok to get home after a scatter of pints but for nothing else

A lot of people on here seem to be VW fanboys but you are all just hiding it :P

I like VW and Audi cars but I wouldn't have a clue about B5 or anything

I do know I had 2 Passats, the most I could say was they had Red DI :P which meant it was fast and was very comfy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

Sorry I have no idea about Skoda
    Then why say...
    they are awful cars.

Don't have one but family members have and they are nice cars with
    luxurious trim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What is the true colours? come on please share?

true colours of being generally anti tesla.

if they have 10 shares then they re hardly going to the bother of running a website to drive up the market price..

if they have several million shares then it might be slightly different.

or maybe they just believe in them and what they are doing and want to support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

$35000 - €38000
    $45000 - €52000
    $53000 - €63000 (AWD)

This aligns pretty well with the price estimations based on already announced German pricing of AWD and Performance models.

why are you posing this is a skoda thread???

• Advertisement

A lot of people on here seem to be VW fanboys but you are all just hiding it :P

I like VW and Audi cars but I wouldn't have a clue about B5 or anything

I do know I had 2 Passats, the most I could say was they had Red DI :P which meant it was fast and was very comfy :D

My being a fan of VW ended after the MK4 golf, B5.5 passat (and similar era Skoda and Audi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Eh... so the Tesla model 3 lads?

Not the the Skoda appreciation society

cros13 wrote: »

Didn't you know Model 3 to Model S is like Octavia to Passat. Not only cheaper, but miles better!

cros13 wrote: »

As I said above

back to the model 3 discussion

So when are they going to start these 7k Model 3 per week? ;)

ted1 wrote: »
    true colours of being generally anti tesla.

if they have 10 shares then they re hardly going to the bother of running a website to drive up the market price..

if they have several million shares then it might be slightly different.

or maybe they just believe in them and what they are doing and want to support them.

Give up with your childish comments about "anti tesla"......

Google.....loads of similar if you actually look

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/21838/the-truth-behind-electreks-dark-alliance-with-tesla

It was only after they got caught out they decided to confirm they had shares
    https://electrek.co/about/

Well hidden on the website, but it's not like they want you to find it

You see any other website about cars having to make a similar statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

$35000 - €38000 - I wish
    $45000 - €52000
    $53000 - €63000 (AWD)

Looks like I have another year of saving to do to get somewhere near the MR RWD model, roll on 2020!

Of course, the insurance may be nuts, AIG don't even insure Teslas in Ireland
    why are you posing this is a skoda thread???

Yeah, go make your own thread with Audi/VW/EVs anf hookers

As I said above

back to the model 3 discussion

So when are they going to start these 7k Model 3 per week? ;)

They can't be far off it now, most put them at average of 5.5k per week now, pretty decent.

Federal tax saving will be ending soon in the US for Tesla

Demand is gonna drop, only so many buyers for 50k+ electric saloons

Hence the 3k a week European forecast which they will have no problem selling and shipping imo

Domestic market for them has probably peaked until the 35k Model 3 comes along in who knows when

Agree Tesla has to get volume up, need to be at 10k or something to get Model 3 to 35k

VW, Hyundai etc will have no problem doing a 60kWh EV for 35k at profit once they ramp up

Tesla can't do it seems

Not sure where you getting the 5.5k? the only number I seen was circa 4k, one source below but plenty others

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Nearly 12 months after the 5k per week target was set. I don't see how they plan to get to 7k?

If proved wrong then great and hopefully Model 3 here sooner but I dont see it.

They had circa 500k reservations. They will have shipped 150k cars by end of year. That means they have 350k cars to go before you can walk in and buy one. Lets say 50k have dropped out which seems reasonable. Also lets say they get to 5k Model 3 per week sustained.

That means we are still over 1 year away from Model 3 been readily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

Just saw this video about lap time in laguna seca, looks like a really good time, in line with main competitors from Merc/BMW/Audi/Porsche/Lotus for a Performance Model 3 with better brakes/coils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOVIgVvjfH0

I know that does not ensure as nice handling as an Evora but says that you can happily take it to track days if you are up to it

jarrieta wrote: »
    Just saw this video about lap time in laguna seca, looks like a really good time, in line with main competitors from Merc/BMW/Audi/Porsche/Lotus for a Performance Model 3 with better brakes/coils

I know that does not ensure as nice handling as an Evora but says that you can happily take it to track days if you are up to it

I love electrics - but in fairness the only exciting parts were when the tyres were hitting the curb and making the vrrrrrr sound...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭carloscorreia

The model 3 performace track mode was setup with the help of Randy Pobst (race car driver and journalist for Motor Trend magazine)

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2019/tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode-release-version-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Mazda Laguna circuit lap record for an unmodified model 3 performance is 1:46.8
    For the same circuit, a Honda Civic Tppe R (FK8) has a time of 1:44.22

The UK price for the Tesla Model 3 Performance is expected to be £80,000
    The UK price for the FK8 is £30,995.

So an unmodified Model 3 Performance would get done by a car costing less than half.

That price difference would buy you enough petrol to drive about 420,000 km - which is enough to drive to the moon and a good way back, but lacking a suitable road - 10.45 times around the Earth at the equator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Mazda Laguna circuit lap record for an unmodified model 3 performance is 1:46.8
    For the same circuit, a Honda Civic Tppe R (FK8) has a time of 1:44.22

The UK price for the Tesla Model 3 Performance is expected to be £80,000
    The UK price for the FK8 is £30,995.

So an unmodified Model 3 Performance would get done by a car costing less than half.

That price difference would buy you enough petrol to drive about 420,000 km - which is enough to drive to the moon and a good way back, but lacking a suitable road - 10.45 times around the Earth at the equator.

So according to your theory M3, Evora, AMG63, RS4 don't have a reason to exist as there is a car that beat them in a racetrack way cheaper than them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

So according to your theory M3, Evora, AMG63, RS4 don't have a reason to exist as there is a car that beat them in a racetrack way cheaper than them

I'm not sure if that was cnocbui's point, but some people have applied similar logic to the Model 3 outperforming the more expensive M3 on a 1/4 mile drag.

I don't have a theory. If you start quoting a car's performance, particularly if bragging about it, then the bragging rights derive from comparison to something. In this case that something would be the performance of other cars. As electric vehicle advocates are usually very enthusiastic in advocating them on the basis of cheaper running costs, I think my example is highly pertinent.

Elon Musk is quite happy to invite comparison between the Model 3 Performance and the BMW M3. I am just using my own comparison, as uncomfortable as that may make you and others feel.

The FK8 seems special alright. But not many people could extract the maximum performance from a high revving manual Honda but everybody can enjoy the Model 3 acceleration on a straight line. Just mash the pedal and go. And even the chepest version will easily win a type R at a traffic light Grand Prix. Laws of physics apply to both and the lighter Civic can almost run in cicles around the heavy EV.

Even with that I bet most of the car buying population would rather be seen in public in Model 3 than a Honda Civic, especially the Type R which look a bit like a Halfords special to me. No hard feelings to Honda fans. The FK8 is a great car on it's own right and definitely a faster trackday car than a Model 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Can't take credits,no comments:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wouldn't have been so dramatic if the Tesla hadn't been tailgating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

cnocbui wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been so dramatic if the Tesla hadn't been tailgating.

I think any competant driver would of avoided that one, didn't look too fast and was somewhat predictable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement