Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

liamog wrote: »
    I think any competant driver would of avoided that one, didn't look too fast and was somewhat predictable.

Absolutely. I would regard the Tesla's driving as being below my personal standard and am the opposite of impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It was obvious the car in front of the VW had braked before the Tesla changed lane.
    The VW driver must have been inattentive, and the Tesla driver no less so.

I suppose what this says is that the Tesla can sometimes overcome bad driving by stopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The video where it seems to predict the accident beforehand is more impressive:

https://twitter.com/HansNoordsij/status/813848411611025408

Is there a speed reading on that video? I was unable to read it.

It certainly seemed to trigger a second or so before a driver would react.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Looking for some feedback

I’m a Model 3 reservation holder (Day 2). I reckon I may get delivery in early 2020 (will wait for standard or mid range with RWD ) if I go with it the Model 3.

However, I am now also considering the Jaguar iPace and possibly the Audi e-Tron although both would be a stretch budget wise. I had a test drive on the iPace and its a fantastic car to drive. However, range is a bit disappointing given the size of the battery. Audi e-Tron will have the 150kW charging and I’m a big fan of Audi’s. I’m not particularly looking for an SUV/Crossover and as I mentioned they’d be pretty expensive options for me.

I see the con’s of Tesla as questionable build quality and inferior materials in the cabin vs Audi/BMW/Jag etc.

The big pro’s for me are the over the air (and continuous) updates and the focus on autonomy. They also have the Supercharger network - but this may be less of an issue once Ionity gets going.

I have tried out the i3 and its not for me - not crazy about the look, range still a bit limited and only 50kW charging.

Nissan Leaf / Hyundai & Kia options etc are not really my cup of tea - I have a thing about having a good quality (i.e. premium) interior and a stylish looking exterior, with a sporty drive - prepared to pay for that bit extra to have this. Plus I reckon it’ll be very important to have min 100kW charging capability built in.

Thoughts anyone ? Anyone in a similar conundrum ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

caster wrote: »

Just buy the Audi.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I’m a Model 3 reservation holder (Day 2). I reckon I may get delivery in early 2020 (will wait for standard or mid range with RWD ) if I go with it the Model 3.

However, I am now also considering the Jaguar iPace and possibly the Audi e-Tron although both would be a stretch budget wise. I had a test drive on the iPace and its a fantastic car to drive. However, range is a bit disappointing given the size of the battery. Audi e-Tron will have the 150kW charging and I’m a big fan of Audi’s. I’m not particularly looking for an SUV/Crossover and as I mentioned they’d be pretty expensive options for me.

I see the con’s of Tesla as questionable build quality and inferior materials in the cabin vs Audi/BMW/Jag etc.

The big pro’s for me are the over the air (and continuous) updates and the focus on autonomy. They also have the Supercharger network - but this may be less of an issue once Ionity gets going.

I have tried out the i3 and its not for me - not crazy about the look, range still a bit limited and only 50kW charging.

Nissan Leaf / Hyundai & Kia options etc are not really my cup of tea - I have a thing about having a good quality (i.e. premium) interior and a stylish looking exterior, with a sporty drive - prepared to pay for that bit extra to have this. Plus I reckon it’ll be very important to have min 100kW charging capability built in.

Audi will have crap range like the Jag

Buy a Model 3 performance and blow the doors off the Audi/Jag and about every other car on the road outside of V10 supercars :)

Seriously in terms of whole package the Model 3 is untouchable

Range/Performance/Charging it's number one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are the S and X not in the same price range as the e-tron or I pace ?

ted1 wrote: »
    Are the S and X not in the same price range as the e-tron or I pace ?

The Model S is, but I'm reluctant to part with that kind of money on a Tesla until they have a better build quality

VW ID Crozz would possibly be an option for me but its looking like 2020 before that's available to order. Also Polestar 2 could be interesting but again that may be 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The Model S is, but I'm reluctant to part with that kind of money on a Tesla until they have a better build quality

VW ID Crozz would possibly be an option for me but its looking like 2020 before that's available to order. Also Polestar 2 could be interesting but again that may be 2020.

There always be something just 2 years away...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don’t have a model 3 reservation but in the countless reviews and videos I’ve seen I’ve never heard of any internal build quality issues....

The Crozz will be similar to the e-Tron. You will be able to buy with a single or dual motor. My guess is you will spec it up and if you put everything on you will be in e-Tron money but without the Audi badge. Crozz brings the base model down in price so more of a mass market. Still it won't be an Audi

Crozz will also be probably 2021 as it is released in US first before coming to Europe

If it was my money I would go for the Jag or the Audi. Audi myself because I love Audi cars, they are just beautiful to drive and the interior is incredible on them. Depends on your personal taste I suppose.....

slave1 wrote: »
    I don’t have a model 3 reservation but in the countless reviews and videos I’ve seen I’ve never heard of any internal build quality issues....

It's more of an overall Tesla quality/reliability thing - but yes particularly the Model S & X, I guess its early days for the Model 3

In terms of cabin materials and feel, I have been in a Model 3, and for me its a step down from Audi/BMW etc i.e. its ICE competitors and possibly below the level of VW Passat (my current car) etc

It's more of an overall Tesla quality/reliability thing - but yes particularly the Model S & X, I guess its early days for the Model 3

In terms of cabin materials and feel, I have been in a Model 3, and for me its a step down from Audi/BMW etc i.e. its ICE competitors and possibly below the level of VW Passat (my current car) etc

Model 3 will be a step down from Model S and X, it’s the mass production version versus their premium...

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Crozz will be similar to the e-Tron. You will be able to buy with a single or dual motor. My guess is you will spec it up and if you put everything on you will be in e-Tron money but without the Audi badge. Crozz brings the base model down in price so more of a mass market. Still it won't be an Audi

Crozz will also be probably 2021 as it is released in US first before coming to Europe

If it was my money I would go for the Jag or the Audi. Audi myself because I love Audi cars, they are just beautiful to drive and the interior is incredible on them. Depends on your personal taste I suppose.....

Crozz would definitely appeal if it was available in the next 12 months.

I'm with you on the Audi interiors. An A4 style/sized/priced EV by them would be perfect for my requirements.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I was in exactly the same position as you not looking for one of the lower end cheap cars. After looking at all options available I finally made my decision and bought and collected over the weekend a BMW M4. Oh my god, it was so the right decision, amazing power, looks and interior especially with the carbon fibre interior and also the carbon fibre roof. Electric cars are great for a certain type of buyer but I get the feeling that you might not be that type the same as I was not.

Electric cars are coming a long way and quickly but looks wise are as dull as dishwater. It made sense to start at the lower end of the market as the cheap running cost would be a very good business case for a lot of people to change to them.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I was in exactly the same position as you not looking for one of the lower end cheap cars. After looking at all options available I finally made my decision and bought and collected over the weekend a BMW M4. Oh my god, it was so the right decision, amazing power, looks and interior especially with the carbon fibre interior and also the carbon fibre roof. Electric cars are great for a certain type of buyer but I get the feeling that you might not be that type the same as I was not.

Electric cars are coming a long way and quickly but looks wise are as dull as dishwater. It made sense to start at the lower end of the market as the cheap running cost would be a very good business case for a lot of people to change to them.

Very much an electric car guy, have a PHEV and have grown to hate when the engine kicks in. The one thing I'm 100% on is that the next car will have no engine.

TCP/IP wrote: »

Good point

If money is no issue I can't think of a reason to own an electric car

Excluding exotic hypercar stuff like Rimac of course

I don’t believe that they have issues with their build quality.

Crozz would definitely appeal if it was available in the next 12 months.

I'm with you on the Audi interiors. An A4 style/sized/priced EV by them would be perfect for my requirements.

Launch cycle is Neo in Europe(eGolf type car but interior same size as Passat) and the Crozz is launched in Europe.

The Crozz will then launch in Europe. The Neo will never go to the US because they don't buy cars in US...

I would doubt you will see the Crozz in 2020 with the Neo just going out the door, maybe a demo end of 2020 for orders in 2021....

It looks a lovely crossover. It's a pity we don't get in Europe first but the US got first option because everyone buys a SUV in US....

• Advertisement

Launch cycle is Neo in Europe(eGolf type car but interior same size as Passat) and the Crozz is launched in Europe.

The Crozz will then launch in Europe. The Neo will never go to the US because they don't buy cars in US...

I would doubt you will see the Crozz in 2020 with the Neo just going out the door, maybe a demo end of 2020 for orders in 2021....

It looks a lovely crossover. It's a pity we don't get in Europe first but the US got first option because everyone buys a SUV in US....

Still waiting on an affordable 7 seater. That’s the real game changer.
    All the young boy mini drivers I knew are now in their 30s driving 181 and 182 mum mobiles.

Still waiting on an affordable 7 seater. That’s the real game changer.
    All the young boy mini drivers I knew are now in their 30s driving 181 and 182 mum mobiles.

You will be waiting a while

ID Buzz in 2022 will be the only one I see planned

You will be waiting a while

ID Buzz in 2022 will be the only one I see planned

Be interesting to see what small brands could do with a MEB deffo a big niche for 7 seaters

As much as I love Tesla this is worrying for a cat with 22 miles on it

https://youtu.be/FSLTNjGI8hw

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

For a car that for all intents and purposes has never been driven, that paint is atrocious. As for the panel gaps, they are equally as atrocious. The person that signed off on that needs a good slap. This is clearly a rush job with not much care.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    For a car that for all intents and purposes has never been driven, that paint is atrocious. As for the panel gaps, they are equally as atrocious. The person that signed off on that needs a good slap. This is clearly a rush job with not much care.

Agree it would atrocious for a Dacia or something really cheap, but that's a €60,000 car

I would be giving it back

My Fabia is 11 years old and has less scratches and marks on it's metallic paint lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭The lips

If the QC allow that to go out to the customer, what other bodge jobs are they allowing along the production line..... Unseen by the customer

The lips wrote: »
    If the QC allow that to go out to the customer, what other bodge jobs are they allowing along the production line..... Unseen by the customer

Frightening

I don't see it reported on InsideEVs and Electrek either or any other EV news site

I sound like Shefwedfan now lol :)

Strange as they post every kinda off a story on Tesla

A very clever mechanical engineer with 2 million subscribers on Youtube who just bought that crap for €60,000 and is who very pro EV, is worth posting

The paint damage looked to me like it might have been caused in transport, rather than a bad paint job.

• Advertisement

Mike9832 wrote: »
    As much as I love Tesla this is worrying for a cat with 22 miles on it

https://youtu.be/FSLTNjGI8hw

I’m shocked, who would of said Tesla would have quality issues......

Anyway, I wonder is that one of the cars the week they sent out 5,000? If not it might be worth doing a video of a few of those as well

The Americans might let Tesla away with poor build quality but Europe won’t....

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Frightening

I don't see it reported on InsideEVs and Electrek either or any other EV news site

I sound like Shefwedfan now lol :)

Strange as they post every kinda off a story on Tesla

A very clever mechanical engineer with 2 million subscribers on Youtube who just bought that crap for €60,000 and is who very pro EV, is worth posting

Come on you know why electrek won’t post it....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The paint damage looked to me like it might have been caused in transport, rather than a bad paint job.

Some of it perhaps, yes. The speck of dirt underneath the clear coat certainly isn't from shipping though.

News coming out that Larry Ellison (Oracle) has been appointed to Tesla's board.

He had previously revealed he had a large stake in Tesla ..... maybe he is getting nervous about his investment :D ..... else someone needs to clean up after Musk's brush with regulators?

News coming out that Larry Ellison (Oracle) has been appointed to Tesla's board.

He had previously revealed he had a large stake in Tesla ..... maybe he is getting nervous about his investment :D ..... else someone needs to clean up after Musk's brush with regulators?

Their will be some change if Larry is taking over or starting to run some
    Operations......Sales guys Worldwide are now looking at the jobs sections

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If they follow the Oracle model they'll sell every Model 3 as a the long range performance version for the price of the short range. Then at the end of year they'll run an audit, if you accelerated too fast or went too far they'll send a bill for the extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL, no Oracle pre sales consultants tell you they will sell you the long range dual motor Model 3 with enhanced AutoPilot, but when you've signed the contract, paid for the car and taken delivery, it turns out to be the 35k base version with no options :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ROTFL... Tesla will sue other car makers for using the same driver interface (aka steering wheel) as them.

I think I seen mention model 3 pricing is out in Europe? What is the 35k $ version when converted to €?

I think I seen mention model 3 pricing is out in Europe? What is the 35k $ version when converted to €?

A few months away yet.

A few months away yet.

But the pricing is out? found this

https://electrek.co/2018/12/05/tesla-model-3-europe-configure/

I do love the bit at end.......:P:P:P

Electrek’s Take:

The timing here couldn’t really be better. Tesla is pouring all of its inventory into getting its US customers vehicles before the Federal $7500 tax credit expires. Then as 2019 starts and US demand slows, it starts putting Model 3s on boats for Europe where unquenched demand is untapped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Basically they've only published the Performance price and the Long Range AWD. No sign yet of the medium range available in the US or the standard range $35,000 model. If it was VW people would be calling the standard range vaporware.

liamog wrote: »
    Basically they've only published the Performance price and the Long Range AWD. No sign yet of the medium range available in the US or the standard range $35,000 model. If it was VW people would be calling the standard range vaporware.

Lets have a quick look at Tesla.ie

Designed to attain the highest safety ratings in every category, Model 3 achieves 220 miles of range while starting at only 35,000 USD before incentives.

Model 3 is a smaller, simpler, more affordable electric car.

Both statements are incorrect. I think it is time someone got onto the ASAI about false advertising. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Is there any indication of when they will be available over here?

But the pricing is out? found this

https://electrek.co/2018/12/05/tesla-model-3-europe-configure/

I do love the bit at end.......:P:P:P

Electrek’s Take:

The timing here couldn’t really be better. Tesla is pouring all of its inventory into getting its US customers vehicles before the Federal $7500 tax credit expires. Then as 2019 starts and US demand slows, it starts putting Model 3s on boats for Europe where unquenched demand is untapped.
    If the price is out, you would know it as it would be posted in the article you linked.

The base model is months away and no price has being released.

Lets have a quick look at Tesla.ie

Designed to attain the highest safety ratings in every category, Model 3 achieves 220 miles of range while starting at only 35,000 USD before incentives.

Model 3 is a smaller, simpler, more affordable electric car.

Both statements are incorrect. I think it is time someone got onto the ASAI about false advertising. :P

You are going to have to let go off the chip.

If the price is out, you would know it as it would be posted in the article you linked.

The base model is months away and no price has being released.

So if the base model is not out, no sign of it and no pricing then it is false advertising

Below is what they should have

Designed to attain the highest safety ratings in every category, Model 3 achieves 530km which is best in it class

Model 3 is a smaller, simpler, electric car.

So if the base model is not out, no sign of it and no pricing then it is false advertising

Below is what they should have

Designed to attain the highest safety ratings in every category, Model 3 achieves 530km which is best in it class

Model 3 is a smaller, simpler, electric car.

You are talking nonsense and coming across as quite foolish.

It’s more affordable than than the Model X and S so their statement is correct.

As for the 35k that usd and is more than likely correct. As you need to add VRT and VAT on for Irish prices.

You are talking nonsense and coming across as quite foolish.

It’s more affordable than than the Model X and S so their statement is correct.

As for the 35k that usd and is more than likely correct. As you need to add VRT and VAT on for Irish prices.

Ahh will you relax. The posts are tongue in cheek :P

I was just amazed that with all the posts and the Tesla love in for the last 3 years since this thread was created it suddenly went very very very quiet....especially when finally after 3 years pricing comes out in Europe....I expected the fanboys to lose the plot....not a single post

Might the price for the "affordable" Tesla be a little bit more expensive than expected ?

As long as there is pent up demand for the high end models and the maker is production constrained there won't be a Model 3 SR for sale.

For now Tesla selling anything else than the high margin models does not make sense until they get more production capacity online. It's exactly the same as with Nissan dropping the L40 XE and Hyundai only selling the Kona 64 kWh. Rake in the money while the competition has no capacity or where there is no real competition.

samih wrote: »
    As long as there is pent up demand for the high end models and the maker is production constrained there won't be a Model 3 SR for sale.

For now Tesla selling anything else than the high margin models does not make sense until they get more production capacity online. It's exactly the same as with Nissan dropping the L40 XE and Hyundai only selling the Kona 64 kWh. Rake in the money while the competition has no capacity or where there is no real competition.

Thank god for VW

Those great fellas gonna save us all with 48kWh Neo for 25k

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement