Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jarrieta wrote: »
    I still have my reservation for Model 3 but not sure what to do with it, will wait until delivery and prices are unveiled here

FWIW it looks like in the EU LHD countries the reservation was pretty meaningless. The first ship full of Model 3 only landed a week ago or so and you can already order a car coming in about two months on the next ship. Without ever having had a reservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    FWIW it looks like in the EU LHD countries the reservation was pretty meaningless. The first ship full of Model 3 only landed a week ago or so and you can already order a car coming in about two months on the next ship. Without ever having had a reservation.
    This is why I cancelled my reservation. Still intend buying a model 3 but a) on my terms and b) since RHD is going to be the last thing added, I don't see no reservation being an issue.

Wonder what the LR RWD model will cost here. That's the one to have IMO, you don't need AWD in Ireland (and I live out the sticks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Agree with you about reservations not being important especially if you're going for higher end end models. It'll be the same for Model Y. Reservations pointless outside of US market. Just a small point though. There have already been 4 ships of Model 3s into Zeebrugge since the beginning of February, another 2 due this week and 2 more by the end of the month. They're coming in at a rate of almost 1 shipful a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

With that thinking I have cancelled my reservation months ago. By the time the RHD lowerish spec will be available, it will be easily available as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Will we see RHD 3's in Ireland this year?

• Advertisement

No wonder Tesla is loosing money on Q1. Lots of cars in transit to Europe and China but not been paid for yet. The Q2 should be back to normal, i.e. the new normal of Q3/Q4 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That and the ~$1b in repayments they had to make.

KCross wrote: »
    That and the ~$1b in repayments they had to make.

Repayments don't affect profitability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

samih wrote: »
    No wonder Tesla is loosing money on Q1. Lots of cars in transit to Europe and China but not been paid for yet. The Q2 should be back to normal, i.e. the new normal of Q3/Q4 2018.

Tesla normal is to lose money and not make a profit, so yeah, expect more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

username?! wrote: »
    Will we see RHD 3's in Ireland this year?

Probably around September I think.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Tesla normal is to lose money and not make a profit, so yeah, expect more of the same.

Not the old normal but the new normal which is actual profits as you no doubt know. The cars have been profitable for quite some time but due to massive investments back to the company the net result has been negative most quarters throughout the history of Tesla.

It could also be that Tesla is planning to just become another VW i.e. continue to borrow even more money to ensure they can keep investing on the new gigafactories.

samih wrote: »
    Not the old normal but the new normal which is actual profits as you no doubt know. The cars have been profitable for quite some time but due to massive investments back to the company the net result has been negative most quarters throughout the history of Tesla.

It could also be that Tesla is planning to just become another VW i.e. continue to borrow even more money to ensure they can keep investing on the new gigafactories.

Tesla have never been profitable and the chances of them becoming so are even less with the recent price cuts. I really don't know where you are getting the idea that I ought to think they are currently profitable from. Show me the industry commentators who believe a $35,000 model 3 can be made for a profit. Tesla employ 15,000 for a 'projected' output of 500,000 vehicles this year - which I don't believe they will achieve. Nissan in the US make 640,000 cars using 8,000 employees. Tesla seem to be the least efficient N. American car manufacturer by far. Their defect rate and warranty costs are far too high for them to make a profit, even if they were efficient enough to do so.

grogi wrote: »
    Repayments don't affect profitability.
    +1
    Important difference between liquidity/cash flow and profitability.

Tesla have never been profitable and the chances of them becoming so are even less with the recent price cuts. I really don't know where you are getting the idea that I ought to think they are currently profitable from. Show me the industry commentators who believe a $35,000 model 3 can be made for a profit. Tesla employ 15,000 for a 'projected' output of 500,000 vehicles this year - which I don't believe they will achieve. Nissan in the US make 640,000 cars using 8,000 employees. Tesla seem to be the least efficient N. American car manufacturer by far. Their defect rate and warranty costs are far too high for them to make a profit, even if they were efficient enough to do so.
    3 profitable quarters so far.

ELM327 wrote: »
    3 profitable quarters so far.

Those anomalies weren't even in the same year. There is scant prospect of them making an annual profit this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tesla make most things themselves. Comparing to Nissan you would have to look at how much employees Nissan suppliers have. Seats manufacturer etc
    So it’s not straight forward.

Also how many if that 15,000 are working in the energy part of the company

Those anomalies weren't even in the same year. There is scant prospect of them making an annual profit this year.

You pay tax on profits.... is always take losses with a pinch of salt

2018 Q3 and Q4 were both profitable and in the same year. For Q1-> Tesla has started to build new factory in China for Model 3 so that *investment* will probably sufficiently eat into the profits this year to make the 2019 loss making. Maybe. But it will allow Tesla to move production of cheaper Model 3 to China reducing costs and also free enough capacity in Frement to start procution of Modell Y.

Hardly anomalies, when they were 2 times last year profitable out of 4 quarters.

If they had not scaled up to M3 production they could have remained profitable as a luxury marque... but as you know this is not the aim.

Sometimes the posting here of the anti-tesla folks borders on the ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

ted1 wrote: »
    Tesla make most things themselves. Comparing to Nissan you would have to look at how much employees Nissan suppliers have. Seats manufacturer etc So it’s not straight forward.

Exactly this. When Brexit did for Honda in the UK last month, the 3,400 direct 'lost' jobs rose to ~10,000 once suppliers jobs were added up.

I have an annoying habit of listening to independent experts and for the Model 3, Munro Inc, whose expertise is costing the manufacturing of automobiles stated: "the base $35,000 Model 3 can hit an 18 percent gross margin from the Fremont factory... <and> the big-battery variants could achieve over 30 percent margins." Tesla has a huge target on its back from shorters and the millions working with ICE cars, but they do appear to be ploughing their cash into expansion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Love these posts

Questioning a now 50 billion startup :)

Startup!

Sales

2007 - 73 thousand dollars
    2017 - 11.8 billion dollars
    2018 - 21.5 billion dollars

Wish the experts would give it a rest

Maybe startup your own electric car company if you think you can do better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Love these posts

Startup!

Sales

Another "startup" (well it was as much a startup then as Tesla is now) had sales of $100bn in 2000, and was bankrupt by the end of 2001. Sales are not even half the story and in isolation are nothing more than a perhaps impressive yet meaningless number.

(The company was Enron btw)

Love these posts

Startup!

Sales

And even doubling sales from 2017 to 2018 they still manage to lose money!

Tesla annual losses:
    2018: $0.98 billion
    2017: $1.96 billion
    2016: $0.67 billion
    2015: $0.89 billion
    2014: $0.29 billion
    2013: $0.07 billion
    2012: $0.40 billion
    2011: $0.25 billion
    2010: $0.15 billion
    2009: $0.06 billion
    2008: $0.08 billion
    2007: $0.08 billion
    total: $5.89 bn

11 years of loses and it's still a start-up? Since Elon made his surprise - you're fired - announcement 5 days ago. The share price has plummeted 15 % That is pretty indicative that the market consensus is that the announcement of a $35,000 model 3 was not a positive one for the company's prospects.

How can people ignore the incredible churn of Tesla's senior management? These are insiders who are intimately familiar with the company. Given the usual US incentive of stock options, you would think if they thought the company had enormous potential and rosy prospects they would count their blessings they were on board the space ship and would hang on tightly for the ride to making themselves incredibly wealthy. The only place in the US with a worse revolving door culture is the White House, due to the moron in charge. Revolving doors are indicative of serious problems.

The Chief Accounting Officer came on board in 2018 and then ran out the door only one month later. If that doesn't give you a hint there is a problem with the companies finances, what would?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

:D when you make Thierry look like the voice of reason you really are in trouble

And even doubling sales from 2017 to 2018 they still manage to lose money!

11 years of loses and it's still a start-up? Since Elon made his surprise - you're fired - announcement 5 days ago. The share price has plummeted 15 % That is pretty indicative that the market consensus is that the announcement of a $35,000 model 3 was not a positive one for the company's prospects.

How can people ignore the incredible churn of Tesla's senior management? These are insiders who are intimately familiar with the company. Given the usual US incentive of stock options, you would think if they thought the company had enormous potential and rosy prospects they would count their blessings they were on board the space ship and would hang on tightly for the ride to making themselves incredibly wealthy. The only place in the US with a worse revolving door culture is the White House, due to the moron in charge. Revolving doors are indicative of serious problems.

The Chief Accounting Officer came on board in 2018 and then ran out the door only one month later. If that doesn't give you a hint there is a problem with the companies finances, what would?

You need to align their losses with their capital expenditure. Losses don’t mean much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I worked for a big PLC for 13years, in those 13years it never made a profit, losses every single year but it was a capital intensive/cash positive company.

Losses are one element, investment and cashflow are (arguably) much better long term indicators, share prices are indicative of future cash flows and not past performance.

Anyhow, way OT....any M3 news?

:D when you make Thierry look like the voice of reason you really are in trouble
    I'm thankful someone said it and I'm thankful it wasnt me. :D

You need to align their losses with their capital expenditure. Losses don’t mean much.

I think someone needs to understand the difference between "losses" and profitability.
    Profitability in your accounts if you could have made a "loss" is bad accounting.

Most of the losses above are probably ammortization and capital expenditure. On an operational (ie opex+cos vs revenue) perspective Tesla are very profitable.

Exactly. Also if you make the investements to relevant technology and not a dead end products like a factory to build small diesel engines for city cars. As far as I see Tesla has definitely gotten the balance right although they constantly seem to be on the limit of how quickly you can come up with the new stuff.

By end of 2019 they will have manufacturing capacity to build half a million expensiveish->expensive but not outrageously so cars and battery packs for them annually. 2020 will be good one for Tesla with the next high volume car, which is Model Y, ramping up.

Once the volume cars are happening at steady rate of production Tesla will have plenty of cash to invest on new production facilities for the pickup, semi and the Roadster. The latter will probably be built at Frement or Nevada though. They'll continue to keep borrowing money to expedite the new products and facities as keeping the profits probably costs more than interest rates from borrowing and this allows for more new products and higher volumes than would be possible with just investing the profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla have succeeded in creating the market, did all the heavy lifting for battery R&D over the past 15 years - the race now is to deliver a quality hatchback with 750km of range and costing €25-30k.

It seems unlikely right now that car will be a Tesla, due to their capacity, quality and pricing constraints for most consumers, but it will probably come from Asia.
    Re-tooling an engine factory isn’t that difficult in terms of the capital cost of building and resourcing it to deliver consistent capacity and quality. Manufacturers retool factories all the time.

If the Model 3 pricing costs €70K+ here in Ireland, as seems likely now that the European RHD pricing is €60k+, how many people will be buying it over a 320d?

sk8board wrote: »
    Tesla have succeeded in creating the market, did all the heavy lifting for battery R&D over the past 15 years - the race now is to deliver a quality hatchback with 750km of range and costing €25-30k.

Nobody will be selling 750km for €30k, forget about that. You'll get this kind of range only in luxury vehicles.

For the masses you'll have ranges of ~250km (40kWh battery) to ~500km (80kWh). There is absolutely no point in inflating the costs by putting a bigger battery in das Auto.

If the Model 3 pricing costs €70K+ here in Ireland, as seems likely now that the European RHD pricing is €60k+, how many people will be buying it over a 320d?

They're not selling the $35.000 base version in Europe yet. What's the price range for a 320d?

It seems unlikely right now that car will be a Tesla, due to their capacity, quality and pricing constraints for most consumers, but it will probably come from Asia.
    Re-tooling an engine factory isn’t that difficult in terms of the capital cost of building and resourcing it to deliver consistent capacity and quality. Manufacturers retool factories all the time.

The 35kUSD version won’t cost €70K+ here

The 35kUSD version won’t cost €70K+ here
    Considering I just got an email from Tesla telling me the new Irish price for the model S was €80k now... I can't see the base model 3 being much more than half that, + ~5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

Considering I just got an email from Tesla telling me the new Irish price for the model S was €80k now... I can't see the base model 3 being much more than half that, + ~5k.

OT, I have this in my browser for the last week https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/new/5YJSB7E29JF235893 playing lotto...

• Advertisement

Cheeky of them advertising it excl VRT

Model 3 tech is looking more amazing by the day

250kW charging, thats crazy

Its now able to preheat the battery on arrival to a supercharger so fastest charge rate is always possible, no more cold or too hot battery

With its Ioniq efficiency @ 120kmh

150 km top up charge

145kW ( supercharger v2) = 12 ish mins
    250kW ( supercharger v3, maybe on Ionity) = 8 ish mins

I was anti EV for a long time,

200kW+ charge rate in an efficient 300bhp EV, with 400km of range for 40k is game changing

Honestly thought it would be 2025 before we saw that tech at that price

Tesla always said the limit at Ionity was the car and not the charger.
    I'd suggest for cars that have the software upgrade (model 3), that the speed at Ionity chargers that are capable of it will also increase to 250kW.

What a car, and available for below $30k in the US with tax rebates. This is awesome. I was already a tesla fanboy but now I'm drinking the kool aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was looking at the eniro with my dad and we were planning on trading in the Octavia for it, but if the model 3 is coming like that.. do they do trade ins? I wouldn’t assume so since no garages right? So you have to sell privately? (Noob Tesla person and new to electric market sorry haha)

Edit: just saw they do trade ins! Now this is interesting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tesla always said the limit at Ionity was the car and not the charger.
    I'd suggest for cars that have the software upgrade (model 3), that the speed at Ionity chargers that are capable of it will also increase to 250kW.

What a car, and available for below $30k in the US with tax rebates. This is awesome. I was already a tesla fanboy but now I'm drinking the kool aid.

I already have plans to use the profit from the Leaf as a deposit for an M3 and then sell the I3 in 2 years for an M3 :)

• Advertisement

Was looking at the eniro with my dad and we were planning on trading in the Octavia for it, but if the model 3 is coming like that.. do they do trade ins? I wouldn’t assume so since no garages right? So you have to sell privately? (Noob Tesla person and new to electric market sorry haha)

Edit: just saw they do trade ins! Now this is interesting

They put you in contact with a dealer but you're probably better off trying to sell it yourself.

When I bought my Model S I went to Sandyford and they took some pictures and came back with a price. When it was time to pick up my car I delivered it to a local dealer which dropped me off at Tesla.

I wonder if the Supercharger in Ireland is earmarked for v3 upgrade?

I wonder if the Supercharger in Ireland is earmarked for v3 upgrade?

The sites not finished will probably get them

From reading sounds like existing V2 chargers will be upgraded to 145kW, not replaced

Coolest new feature is the supercharger pre condition setting, thats really cool

Heats up battery before entering supercharger, basically always getting fastest charge rate possible

Nissan look like cowboys in comparison :)

Coolest new feature is the supercharger pre condition setting, thats really cool

Thats not new AFAIK.
    Bjorn mentioned that ages ago in his own Model X.

Thats not new AFAIK.
    Bjorn mentioned that ages ago in his own Model X.

Didn't know that

Cool feature

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Has anybody heard an update on the Tesla supercharger at the N4 Applegreen in Enfield? It was announced in 2017, to be built in 2018, but nothing yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Model 3 tech is looking more amazing by the day

250kW charging, thats crazy

Its now able to preheat the battery on arrival to a supercharger so fastest charge rate is always possible, no more cold or too hot battery

With its Ioniq efficiency @ 120kmh

150 km top up charge

145kW ( supercharger v2) = 12 ish mins
    250kW ( supercharger v3, maybe on Ionity) = 8 ish mins

I was anti EV for a long time,

200kW+ charge rate in an efficient 300bhp EV, with 400km of range for 40k is game changing

Honestly thought it would be 2025 before we saw that tech at that price

Did Bjorn not post a vid showing the v2 and v3 charging times and there was virtually no difference in charging time - pretty sure it was a M3 but might have been his Optimus

Comparison from Reddit

3abc3736-1e64-485d-8da2-f1615176d133-jpeg.383857

03e97656-06c1-4900-828c-ea9e70f8b3be-jpeg.383858

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

slave1 wrote: »
    Did Bjorn not post a vid showing the v2 and v3 charging times and there was virtually no difference in charging time - pretty sure it was a M3 but might have been his Optimus

The video I saw was a normal Tesla supercharger vs a 175 kw CCS (Hypercharger).

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Has anybody heard an update on the Tesla supercharger at the N4 Applegreen in Enfield? It was announced in 2017, to be built in 2018, but nothing yet.

Just called Tesla to ask there. Scheduled to be finished by the end of Q2. It will be westbound only, but with 'flyover access'.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement