Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

grogi wrote: »
    VRT of a six hundreds or so (14% of 35k minus 5k of VRT relief grant). €5000 SEAI grant on top.

My figures are strong, it comes down to €38.5k today :) how much Tesla wants to load us, is different story, but in any case I doubt it will be more than 40k.

So it’s
    35,000*1.14=39,900 ( is vrt on Pre or Post Duty and VAT price?)
    39,900*1.1*1.23=53,900USD=47,900euro-5k VRT
    Price =42,900 -5K SEAI= 37,900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ted1 wrote: »
    So it’s
    35,000*1.14=39,900 ( is vrt on Pre or Post Duty and VAT price?)
    39,900*1.1*1.23=53,900USD=47,900euro-5k VRT
    Price =42,900 -5K SEAI= 37,900

Ok, you've fixed it :)

Net price [usd] $ 35,000.00
    Exchange rate 0.89
    Duty 10%
    Price with duty [eur] €34,247.29

VAT € 7,876.88
    OMSP € 44,483.74
    VRT € 6,227.72
    RRP € 48,351.89
    Price for customer € 38,351.89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

True story, I once shared a flight with Tesla's former VP of Sales for Europe. We touched tangentially on local pricing; it's not quite as straightforward as carrying over the US price and adding levies etc; they look at the individual market dynamics, competitor pricing and so on.

Of course, none of that is particularly surprising, and in any case it's clear that Tesla are being aggressive with the Model 3 so no I've no doubt it'll be competitively priced once it lands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

We once had a dedicated sales guy working for us who said:
    • You set a base price sufficiently low so that you don't lose customers but make loads of stuff optional so that you don't lose any revenue from those with bigger budgets.
    • And the price for things is never based on what they cost to produce, it's how much you think the customer is prepared to pay for them.
      Then again he never sold much for us so who knows if he was just talking out of his proverbial.
      But I'd be surprised if Tesla don't try to extract the maximum they can from big spending Irish customers

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

But the key difference is the lack of supporting dealers.

Really? I don't particularly want to pay for a set of 'dealers' in their expensive glass box showrooms and huge service centers out the back - that's a few grand extra at purchase time. That engine/gearbox/brake servicing cash cow is ending.

If I'm making the second biggest purchase of my life, and for something as personal as a new car, then I'll get my ass to Dublin for a test drive. Once Model 3s become more common, they'll advertise themselves to any locals.

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
      Really? I don't particularly want to pay for a set of 'dealers' in their expensive glass box showrooms and huge service centers out the back - that's a few grand extra at purchase time

Neither do I , but my mother and her generation and many others do. And that’s what will hold them back. The micra, Yaris , focus drivers etc will want to buy from a dealer.

Many people won’t want to travel to Dublin to test drive a car. You need to look at the bigger picture.

Do you think Dacia would sell cars without dealers ?

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭CFC007

4. Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

CFC007 wrote: »

For a M3 - I think I'd take my chances here an not go for autopilot and wait for the inevitable price drop in the future.

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

CFC007 wrote: »

So the complaints about a price reduction by existing customers have caused a reversal of that reduction, so future customers will pay the higher price.

Ye could not make it up! :D

6. Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

So the complaints about a price reduction by existing customers have caused a reversal of that reduction, so future customers will pay the higher price.

Real tail wagging the dog stuff.

7. Advertisement
    8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Musk is in complete panic mode with Tesla, he runs around like a headless chicken...

He really should step down as CEO, maybe retain ownership over technical aspects of the company, but that's it.

9. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

grogi wrote: »
      Musk is in complete panic mode with Tesla, he runs around like a headless chicken...

He really should step down as CEO, maybe retain ownership over technical aspects of the company, but that's it.

They are scaling up in real time and just slightly winging it. No other manufacturer is ramping up at the same rate as they are

10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They are scaling up in real time and just slightly winging it. No other manufacturer is ramping up at the same rate as they are

I am not saying they aren't. But he certainly cannot cope with the challenge on his own. He needs to delegate the communication to other people, have a buffer of a few days before announcing any ideas.

11. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭conor_mc

To be fair, I think the reversal is down to complaints about store closures. Keep the stores = higher prices.

I would agree that there is a certain lack of testing their market hypotheses though!

12. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

conor_mc wrote: »
      To be fair, I think the reversal is down to complaints about store closures. Keep the stores = higher prices.

I would agree that there is a certain lack of testing their market hypotheses though!
      Oh they tested their market hypotheses. We just were all witness to the test :D

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Neither do I , but my mother and her generation and many others do. And that’s what will hold them back.

I doubt your mother and her generation are Elon's target market.
      No offense like.

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Soarer wrote: »
      I doubt your mother and her generation are Elon's target market.
      No offense like.

Going for a mass market car like the model 3, a 4 door saloon, I think they maybe.

What do you think his target market is for Tesla, and bearing in mind the y is being announced on Thursdays

15. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Going for a mass market car like the model 3, a 4 door saloon, I think they maybe.

What do you think his target market is for Tesla, and bearing in mind they is being announced on Thursdays

I would have thought the younger market who can't afford the model S and also the older market could be a perfect fit for the M3. Also the tech-minded consumer will like the M3. We will see a lot of them around silicon docks in Dublin for sure.

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
      Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Would everybody stop calling the Tesla Model 3 an "M3"?

This is an M3 :cool:

bmw-m3_1.jpg?itok=HrzpuFGt

17. Advertisement
    18. Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

and this is the M3 :pac:
      IMG_1733.jpg

19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TCP/IP wrote: »
      I would have thought the younger market who can't afford the model S and also the older market could be a perfect fit for the M3. Also the tech-minded consumer will like the M3. We will see a lot of them around silicon docks in Dublin for sure.

The younger market in many cities are moving away from car ownership.
      A mass market car needs to appeal to more than just tech minded consumers.
      Many of the older crowd have there houses paid off no mortgages and want to move to an electric car.

20. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Many of the older crowd have there houses paid off no mortgages and want to move to an electric car.

And there lies the problem they will mostly go for a car from Japan or Korea not Tesla.

21. Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

Partially true, but as was pointed out recently on a "fullycharged" podcast that while childless young people were quite happy not owning cars and using services like Uber and any of the pick - n- drop car hire.

Once baby arrives, the novelty of having to carry a car seat everywhere soon wears off, so families are likely to remain majority car owners, simply due to the convenience of lugging all the child related junk everywhere.

22. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Really? I don't particularly want to pay for a set of 'dealers' in their expensive glass box showrooms and huge service centers out the back - that's a few grand extra at purchase time. That engine/gearbox/brake servicing cash cow is ending.

If I'm making the second biggest purchase of my life, and for something as personal as a new car, then I'll get my ass to Dublin for a test drive. Once Model 3s become more common, they'll advertise themselves to any locals.
      Neither do I , but my mother and her generation and many others do. And that’s what will hold them back. The micra, Yaris , focus drivers etc will want to buy from a dealer.

Many people won’t want to travel to Dublin to test drive a car. You need to look at the bigger picture.

Do you think Dacia would sell cars without dealers ?

When long range replacements for the likes of Yaris, Micra, Fabia, Focus or similar smaller, non-performance cars become available, we might find there are local dealers/stores to sell them.

23. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Partially true, but as was pointed out recently on a "fullycharged" podcast that while childless young people were quite happy not owning cars and using services like Uber and any of the pick - n- drop car hire.

Once baby arrives, the novelty of having to carry a car seat everywhere soon wears off, so families are likely to remain majority car owners, simply due to the convenience of lugging all the child related junk everywhere.

Do agree younger generation nowadays might do without a car when they live in the city CENTRE but once families come about in their lives car is a must. Also most wont be able to afford the Tesla price when responsibility’s like house and childcare come into play.

24. Advertisement
    25. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Do agree younger generation nowadays might do without a car when they live in the city CENTRE but once families come about in their lives car is a must. Also most wont be able to afford the Tesla price when responsibility’s like house and childcare come into play.

Hah! You have it the wrong way round. We lived happily in a city centre and maybe would have stayed there with the kids, but it was the schools that did for us. Had to move out to the suburbs for them, made our school run negligible at the expense of our own commutes.

A Tesla has been a loooong term goal, so I will be treating myself to one, only the pricing will determine when.

26. Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I live in the city (well 3km from O'Connell Bridge), have a family and kid, no car.

It really isn't as difficult as people think. If you are lucky enough to live in a city with public transport and facilities around you. Even with a kid it really isn't that needed.

Easy walking distance to a selection of great schools. Lots of sporting clubs, shops, cafes, gym, restaurants, etc. within easy walking distance.

Use the bus a lot, 10 to 20 minutes into town. Taxi the odd time if public transport isn't handy, we bought a very light and portable car seat, very easy to carry around when needed, but seldom used.

We have been all over the country and even across the world with our little one, no car.

It isn't as hard as people think. I'm not saying I'll never get a car, nor would I say that some families don't need one if living outside the city, but you might be surprised at the numbers that are choosing differently.

27. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

bk wrote: »
      I live in the city (well 3km from O'Connell Bridge), have a family and kid, no car.

It really isn't as difficult as people think. If you are lucky enough to live in a city with public transport and facilities around you. Even with a kid it really isn't that needed.

Easy walking distance to a selection of great schools. Lots of sporting clubs, shops, cafes, gym, restaurants, etc. within easy walking distance.

Use the bus a lot, 10 to 20 minutes into town. Taxi the odd time if public transport isn't handy, we bought a very light and portable car seat, very easy to carry around when needed, but seldom used.

We have been all over the country and even across the world with our little one, no car.

It isn't as hard as people think. I'm not saying I'll never get a car, nor would I say that some families don't need one if living outside the city, but you might be surprised at the numbers that are choosing differently.

Quite possibly but the vast majority would be thinking different wait till kid turns into kids hey each to their own if it works.

28. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hah! You have it the wrong way round. We lived happily in a city centre and maybe would have stayed there with the kids, but it was the schools that did for us. Had to move out to the suburbs for them, made our school run negligible at the expense of our own commutes.

A Tesla has been a loooong term goal, so I will be treating myself to one, only the pricing will determine when.

I can understand a high-end Porsche/BMW/Merc/Aston etc been a long term goal but a Tesla that's like saying a Hyundai is a long term goal.

29. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I can understand a high-end Porsche/BMW/Merc/Aston etc been a long term goal but a Tesla that's like saying a Hyundai is a long term goal.

Tesla is in vogue

A following

Hyundai comparison is silly

Even BMW one is silly, no aspires to a BMW or they shouldnt

Not saying Tesla is compable to Porsche or Aston, it has a following

30. Advertisement
    31. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Mike9832 wrote: »
      Tesla is in vogue

A following

No one aspires to own a BMW M5 or M3?

32. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mloc123 wrote: »

Lambo, Ferrari. Porsche yes. BMW no thanks.

33. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I aspire to own a Nissan (GTR).

34. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Sorry for not reading back through the thread but is the Model 3 any nearer to going on sale here and is there a Irish cost on it?

Also in relation to the previous few posts I would love to have a BMW M3/M5.

35. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Tesla is in vogue

A following

Even BMW one is silly, no aspires to a BMW or they shouldn't

Not saying Tesla is comparable to Porsche or Aston, it has a following

I think you hit the nail on the head by saying it has a following and I would agree but only in electric car forums, anyone else would not care less as its such a plain jane looking car. It's just another electric car straight out of the poorly built camp like the other crap currently on the market. Save you money and bye an Audi E-Tron at least that looks decent and has a bit of class to it.

36. Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Tesla is in vogue

A following

If the height of your car aspirations is a Tesla then something is seriously gone wrong

I wouldn’t compare to a Hyundai but a Tesla would have a similar ranking as a VW if you put a list together of cars you wanted to own....of course the VW would win by the simple fact it won’t fall apart.....hahaha

37. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Shefwedfan wrote: »
      If the height of your car aspirations is a Tesla then something is seriously gone wrong

Pretentious much? Would the fact that I have been driving for 20+ years while having never owned a car change your tune? Yes, if I win the lottery tomorrow, a lock-up garage will be bought and I'll restore an old car, but that's aspiration is still not practical.

ICE cars do serious damage to the environment, society and, in Ireland, one's wallet. I'm not buying a badge, I'm buying a technology that has been though out, has the range I need.

38. Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Pretentious much? Would the fact that I have been driving for 20+ years while having never owned a car change your tune? Yes, if I win the lottery tomorrow, a lock-up garage will be bought and I'll restore an old car, but that's aspiration is still not practical.

ICE cars do serious damage to the environment, society and, in Ireland, one's wallet. I'm not buying a badge, I'm buying a technology that has been though out, has the range I need.

Aspirations are aspiration....they are never practical....Porsche will have the cayman out soon....loads of vendors will have full BEV cars out....if you win the lotto you can have the badge and save the World....plus a lot better car

If you are looking for a practical car to aspire to I personally would go VW Buzz, mix of old and new....travel the world in it, sleeping in the back

39. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Aspirations are aspiration....they are never practical....Porsche will have the cayman out soon....loads of vendors will have full BEV cars out....if you win the lotto you can have the badge and save the World....plus a lot better car

If you are looking for a practical car to aspire to I personally would go VW Buzz, mix of old and new....travel the world in it, sleeping in the back
      Not every one has your love of VW.

40. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For a large section of the populace the aspiration is to eventually own a new car ...... any new car, even if it is a Micra.

41. Advertisement
    42. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

mloc123 wrote: »

Not me anyway

43. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I think you hit the nail on the head by saying it has a following and I would agree but only in electric car forums, anyone else would not care less as its such a plain jane looking car. It's just another electric car straight out of the poorly built camp like the other crap currently on the market. Save you money and bye an Audi E-Tron at least that looks decent and has a bit of class to it.

Don't disagree

Will Tesla still have that following in 10-15 years, who knows, I doubt it myself

Personally think peak car aspirations has passed, they are all in trouble

44. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Not me anyway

If you don't want to own an M3 or M5 at least once in your life your not a car guy that's for sure but that is not surprising on a thread of a glorified golf cart but with worse build quality.

45. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

If you don't want to own an M3 or M5 at least once in your life your not a car guy that's for sure but that is not surprising on a thread of a glorified golf cart but with worse build quality.

I'd agree with you, but you know you don't need to **** on other people's aspirations just to validate your own right?

46. Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm not a car guy but I'm a technology guy. I love what these guys are doing and spurring the advent of newer and better technologies. I aspire to own a Tesla one day, knowing full well all it's flaws.

47. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just see the new 3 series being advertised. Nearly 50k for the cheapest one lol! Can’t wait to see what anyone who buys one of them will get for it in six to twelve months!

48. Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Idbatterim wrote: »
      Just see the new 3 series being advertised. Nearly 50k for the cheapest one lol! Can’t wait to see what anyone who buys one of them will get for it in six to twelve months!

They will get a amazing well built car that’s a pleasure to drive.

49. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drop the BMW talk unless it's about comparing electric BMW with Tesla.
      Tesla is the topic of this thread.

50. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

For a large section of the populace the aspiration is to eventually own a new car ...... any new car, even if it is a Micra.

This! My father in law, driving slightly newer second hand cars his whole life finally got to buy a band new car, thanks to his slow trade ups and pension lump-sum. He's enjoying driving the hell out of it with no commutes.
      Aspirations are aspiration....they are never practical....

Forgive me for actually having a practical aspiration
      If you don't want to own an M3 or M5 at least once in your life your not a car guy

I am a car guy, I just have very expensive tastes (a Porsche 959 was always top of my list) and I am not 16 anymore. BMW used to be apart from other marques, but now it's just another ICE car dragging its heels in the biggest shakeup in auto history.

Anyways, back to TM3, we expect the base price to be in the early €40kbut does anyone have an idea if the Insurance companies will gouge new owners more than normal?

51. Advertisement
    52. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

10 years ago I would have loved one

Even if I could afford to run one today, would probably go Porsche, Lexus IS F, something less manic

Only reason I like electric is potentially you can have power/ low running cost/low purchase price ( eventually)

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement