Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cnocbui wrote: »
    You should be more discerning and pick good ones. ;)

Ohh I do.
    That’s why they sell so easy, and every one of them at a profit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You should be more discerning and pick good ones. ;)

I swap cars every 18-24 months. I get bored very quickly

Jeez, I've owned 7 cars since 1977.
    Same here, I tend to buy as new as possible (3-5 years old) then keep them for as long as possible. 8 years on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kceire wrote: »
    I’ve lived with Renault EV, Nissan EV and BMW EV.
    By far, the bmw is the best built and premium feeling. It’s probably my 12th bmw at this stage but in between I’ve had S3’s, Skoda VRs, Evo 5 etc etc so I’m
    By no means a badge snob.

They all have their ups and downs. My Nissan Leaf was technically the best built. No rattles, everything works exactly how it should. The bmw is more premium but it has its known flaws with interior rattles. The Renault was just a plastic box.

I had the Tesla 100d last week, a 191 version and the interior improvements are fantastic when compared to the 2017 model I was in before that. They are improving all the time.

If I had 100k tomorrow and I had to buy an EV, would I buy an eTron, an iPace, a Tesla or other brand.........I’d take my chances with a new Model S to be perfectly honest.

Tbf I've owned a number of BMW's.including an M3.

BMW's are plastic boxes. Their interiors are boring as hell. I'd classify Audi's as nicer inside and I've never owned an Audi but my father and brother have.

Anyone thinking BMW's arent a dull place to be in well .. polish the glasses. Plastic everywhere

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf I've owned a number of BMW's.including an M3.

BMW's are plastic boxes. Their interiors are boring as hell. I'd classify Audi's as nicer inside and I've never owned an Audi but my father and brother have.

Anyone thinking BMW's arent a dull place to be in well .. polish the glasses. Plastic everywhere

Agree. Audi interior is far superior. My S3 was a nicer place to sit than the much newer E46 M3 I had. Merc also, currently their interiors are stunning. My mate has an E350 AMG with glass roof and the full digital dash board that extends all the way over to the centre console.....stunning.

P.S. when I said in my post the bmw was by far the best interior and premium feeling, I was comparing it in EV terms against the 2 other EV’s I had that I was describing in that post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are BMW/Audi any more reliable than Skoda, Renault etc..?

Most people buy BMW/Audi for the badge, so the "cool" factor with Tesla may never wear off just as it hasn't with those German brands.

Bear in mind that the Tesla is massively rare, so there will be an added cool factor from that until they can get the prices down and volumes up. Right now in Ireland it’s a niche luxury brand, with just 22 sales this year to date.
    My kids (and I) are primed to say ‘there’s a tesla’ whenever we see one on the road. We don’t have the same reaction to anything else.
    Hence currently they are definitely cool imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

I see 2 or 3 Teslas each day, I think they're massive and unwieldy for tight urban roads.
    I think the German guy who brings his kids to school in the 1800cc Beetle is cool.
    As is the guy who nips into the car park behind us 3cm off the ground in his 50 year old Mini Cooper.
    Maybe I watched too much Herbie and Italian Job when I was younger.:)
    And then there's the guy in the 68 fastback Mustang I sometimes see...
    Tesla are innovative, but will never be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

duty_calls.png

sk8board wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the Tesla is massively rare, so there will be an added cool factor from that until they can get the prices down and volumes up. Right now in Ireland it’s a niche luxury brand, with just 22 sales this year to date.
    My kids (and I) are primed to say ‘there’s a tesla’ whenever we see one on the road. We don’t have the same reaction to anything else.
    Hence currently they are definitely cool imho

Not cool.....people think they look cool if they buy one. That’s the difference. As person said above a Mustang, restored mini...really cool is the electric mini restoration people are doing

My point is after they sell a few in Ireland and the next car comes along what do Tesla do them? You will just have a poorly build American car which isn’t “cool” anymore, then I can see the poo hitting the fan

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not cool.....people think they look cool if they buy one. That’s the difference. As person said above a Mustang, restored mini...really cool is the electric mini restoration people are doing

My point is after they sell a few in Ireland and the next car comes along what do Tesla do them? You will just have a poorly build American car which isn’t “cool” anymore, then I can see the poo hitting the fan

What’s cool to you may not be cool to me.
    I have zero interest in classic cars, absolute zero. To me they are not cool.

Horses for courses.

What’s cool to you may not be cool to me.
    I have zero interest in classic cars, absolute zero. To me they are not cool.

Horses for courses.

If you buy a car just because you think you will look cool automatically makes it uncool

Currently the majority of Tesla are bought because people think they will look cool, correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I never got this thing about looking cool. I don't give a tiny rats arse what randomers think of me. Be yourself and don't worry what strangers think of you. I've had many, many cars over the years, I've never bought a car for the badge.

Probably a good thing, long term as it saved me from becoming a smoker in my youth.

If you buy a car just because you think you will look cool automatically makes it uncool

Currently the majority of Tesla are bought because people think they will look cool, correct?

It’s a fair point - if you have to explain it, then it’s not cool.

Tesla’s were cool in the early days for sure - these types of car could potentially be all of our futures and wealthy early adopters give us a view into that future.

Now you have lots of options and can even spend €49k on a Kona. I think those buyers are going to be ‘range cannon fodder’, just like people who bought the gen 1 leaf - every release has a higher range, and that is certain to kill the residuals of the current one.
    That’s not cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

They buy them because they are the only mass producers of electric cars that are comparable to internal combustion in terms of performance/range/refueling speed and have little gimmicks like autopilot/ludicrous supercars shaming speed modes etc

If autogiants like VW, Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan etc made similar, they would buy them

They don't and won't for a long time, get used to seeing Tesla around and you can blame the autogiants for it

You know all that anyway

Just your usual trolling

Mike9832 wrote: »
    They buy them because they are the only mass producers of electric cars that are comparable to internal combustion in terms of performance/range/refueling speed and have little gimmicks like autopilot/ludicrous supercars shaming speed modes etc

If autogiants like VW, Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan etc made similar, they would buy them

They don't and won't for a long time, get used to seeing Tesla around and you can blame the autogiants for it

You know all that anyway

Just your usual trolling

A model S costs €110k on their Ireland site today. Let that sit for a minute. €110k - for the base model.
    Your ‘supercar shaming’ model is closer to €175k.

One hundred and seventy five thousand euros.

The other manufacturers don’t build Tesla-like cars because in the real world of mass produced vehicles, no-one will spend that on a VW.

Hyundai are a great example, trying to compete - however I wouldn’t spend €49k on the 400km Kona - would you? The next release will probably do 600km. Depreciation is huge on electric vehicles as the market is moving so fast.

For now, Tesla is still a luxury car manufacturer that portrays itself as a car for the people. Only 26 Irish people have agreed with that assertion so far this year and put down their €110k+.

Doesn’t sound very cool to me.

• Advertisement

A model S costs €110k on their Ireland site today. Let that sit for a minute. €110k - for the base model.

The other manufacturers don’t build Tesla-like cars because in the real world of mass produced vehicles, no-one will spend that on a VW.

Hyundai are a great example, trying to compete - however I wouldn’t spend €49k on the 400km Kona - would you? The next release will probably do 600km. Depreciation is huge on electric vehicles as the market is moving so fast.

For now, Tesla is still a luxury car manufacturer that portrays itself as a car for the people. Only 26 Irish people have agreed with that assertion so far this year and put down their €110k+.

Your in the Model 3 thread boy

Let that sit in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What Tesla are doing is cool!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/volkswagen-says-electric-cars-will-make-up-20-of-irish-new-car-sales-by-2021-1.3851006?mode=amp

The above post said Tesla are comparable in terms of comparison of acceleration to ice. Your typical German tractor sold here is left for dead v a Tesla, including a tesla 3

Not correct in my book.
    I’d buy one because of the tech, performance and range.

How I look in it is irrelevant. If that’s how I thought, I would never have bought a Nissan Leaf or an MG ZR. They were bought for specific reasons at that time.

Your in the Model 3 thread boy

Let that sit in

Your figures are also out. The base spec is 96k today on the Irish website n
    The top spec Model S P100d with all options ticked is 125k.

You know all that anyway

Just your usual trolling

Thierry/Y2K and every other account you have gone under is accusing someone of trolling.....hahaha

Off topic anyway

So remind me when is the pricing for Model 3 out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

... - however I wouldn’t spend €49k on the 400km Kona - would you? The next release will probably do 600km. Depreciation is huge on electric vehicles as the market is moving so fast.

Neither would I seeing as they are €38k

You really know your stuff there, I have my EV over two years now and in that time it has suffered zero depreciation, I could get what I paid for my car two years ago tomorrow morning and you'll see other real world examples of lads selling on their EV after a year or so at a profit

Your figures are also out. The base spec is 96k today on the Irish website n
    The top spec Model S P100d with all options ticked is 125k.

(I was referring to the base model S plus the obvious options like autopilot and future proofing the self driving etc, €108k pre delivery.
    And the optioned p100d model X is €173k I believe.
    No one buying a model S should be buying the base model, or it defeats the purpose.)

Anyway, we digress I suppose - but it’s related, as the model 3 pricing is about to hit the Irish Tesla site and I don’t think it’ll be less than €65k, and much more with those few necessary options.

I was in joe Duffy yesterday and a top spec 320d with everything was (a pretty massive) €57k. I make the comparison because the optioned model 3 might actually be competing on price with a 530d m sport in Ireland (70k ish), and not a 320d se as expected.
    That makes a difference to most new car buyers - we want value over everything else.
    At 55-60k optioned, I’d honestly replace my current car for a model 3 for sure. It’s be a direct replacement really and would suit my needs.
    For €65-70k though, I’ll wait for the next one.

Tesla aren’t troubling the mass producers while their entry level price is still so high. Eventually they’ll get their pricing down on future models, but by then all the manufacturers will be delivering €40k cars with 600km of range

slave1 wrote: »
    Neither would I seeing as they are €38k

You really know your stuff there

Take a look at Carzone - all Hyundai dealer are selling the longer range Kona for €49k.
    Don’t let facts get in the way of your argument.

We’re all on the same side of the EV argument here lads - but let’s not fanboy over Tesla while their cheapest Irish car is €96k with no options and the model 3 will likely be €65/70k with the nececessary selfdrive options ticked.

Again - 26 sales in Ireland this year tells you all you need to know - Tesla’s remain a plaything for wealthy early adopters

Sk8board. You want “value more than anything else” and your looking at a new 3 series ? Enjoy twenty thousand depreciation after two years!

Take a look at Carzone - all Hyundai dealer are selling the longer range Kona for €49k.

We’re all on the same side of the EV argument here lads - but let’s not fanboy over Tesla while their cheapest Irish car is €96k with no options and the model 3 will likely be €65/70k with the nececessary selfdrive options ticked.

Again - 26 sales in Ireland this year tells you all you need to know - Tesla’s remain a plaything for wealthy early adopters

I agree with some of your comments and not others

Battery technology is now going to level out. All manufacturers will have a 40something kWh and a 60something kWh and that will stay the same for next 5 years. Ok some might put out larger batteries but that will be specific models. Your standard will stay with that. More than plenty for the average joe.

Tesla currently is a restricted market. Even when the Model 3 appears it will still be for a restricted market.

The Kona is advertised at 49k but that is because the dealers are stupid and they knock off the 10k so it is 38/39k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

On the road price for a Kona with 2 tone metallic paint and delivery charges etc is under €40K.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Sk8board. You want “value more than anything else” and your looking at a new 3 series ? Enjoy twenty thousand depreciation after two years!

Exactly

Anyone that buys a brand new BMW, Audi petrol/diesel and is not loaded is very foolish

€200 depreciation a week for a run of the mill 1.5l petrol 3 series

Absolute madness

So remind me when is the pricing for Model 3 out?

You've seen the estimates here and you know it's going to be summer/winter before it's out

(I was referring to the base model S plus the obvious options like autopilot and future proofing the self driving etc, €108k pre delivery.
    And the optioned p100d model X is €173k I believe.
    No one buying a model S should be buying the base model, or it defeats the purpose.)

Anyway, we digress I suppose - but it’s related, as the model 3 pricing is about to hit the Irish Tesla site and I don’t think it’ll be less than €65k, and much more with those few necessary options.

I was in joe Duffy yesterday and a top spec 320d with everything was (a pretty massive) €57k. I make the comparison because the optioned model 3 might actually be competing on price with a 530d m sport in Ireland (70k ish), and not a 320d se as expected.
    That makes a difference to most new car buyers - we want value over everything else.
    At 55-60k optioned, I’d honestly replace my current car for a model 3 for sure. It’s be a direct replacement really and would suit my needs.
    For €65-70k though, I’ll wait for the next one.

Tesla aren’t troubling the mass producers while their entry level price is still so high. Eventually they’ll get their pricing down on future models, but by then all the manufacturers will be delivering €40k cars with 600km of range

You said base model.
    If you want to quote prices with options then say that in English in the post. Not in your head for nobody to hear.

Also, who who spend even that money on a 320d. Madness

You are aware that the Carzone prices are excluding the VRT and SEAI grant. Please say you do. Nobody can be that clueless about a subject they are trying to argue.

With those grants removed from the sticker price, the car is 39k or 40k with metallic.

• Advertisement

Exactly

Anyone that buys a brand new BMW, Audi petrol/diesel and is not loaded is very foolish

€200 depreciation a week for a run of the mill 1.5l petrol 3 series

Absolute madness

Most BMW/Audi's outside Ireland clock huge mileage without any problem once they are serviced properly and maintained properly. Even in Ireland you will get a few.....Buying a brand new car and keep for a significant period of time can have huge TCO benefits

Buying an old heap of s**t and then spending a fortune trying to keep it on the road is hardly good money spent.....

Buying an old heap of s**t and then spending a fortune trying to keep it on the road is hardly good money spent.....

You could argue the same for restoring an old mini or trying to keep an American mustang on the road, or any classic for that matter.

Horses for courses and all that, but many posters on here seem to forget that.

You could argue the same for restoring an old mini or trying to keep an American mustang on the road, or any classic for that matter.

Horses for courses and all that, but many posters on here seem to forget that.

Horses for course nothing.......sad attempt at trying to twist a previous post.....two completely different scenario's but sure you fire ahead :confused:

Horses for course nothing.......sad attempt at trying to twist a previous post.....two completely different scenario's but sure you fire ahead :confused:

Yep. Horses for courses.
    You said it yourself. You think classic cars are cool, minis, mustangs etc
    I have no interest in them and don’t think they are cool at all. And that’s where opinions come in.

Live and let live. If you can’t understand that or accept that then you have bigger issues.

Yep. Horses for courses.
    You said it yourself. You think classic cars are cool, minis, mustangs etc
    I have no interest in them and don’t think they are cool at all. And that’s where opinions come in.

Live and let live. If you can’t understand that or accept that then you have bigger issues.

So you don’t understand the difference between restoration of a classic car and buying an old banger?

I have no issues at all...

“Buying an old heap of s**t and then spending a fortune trying to keep it on the road is hardly good money spent...”

The brother and I have about twenty years of bmw ownership combined. Typically 8-10 year old cars on average. You know how many break downs in that time that left us stranded ? 2! had a starter motor go and alternator belt, that’s it , other than the usual control arms , expansion tanks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Depreciation is huge on electric vehicles.

LOL :D

Is that something someone told you in a pub or something? Depreciation on most EVs has been tiny in the last few years. Many second hand EVs have actually gone up in value. So negative depreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shefwedfan and Idbatterim and Mike9832 threadbanned until Wednesday for offtopic postings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

unkel wrote: »

Is that something someone told you in a pub or something? Depreciation on most EVs has been tiny in the last few years. Many second hand EVs have actually gone up in value. So negative depreciation.

Lol, Musk just slashed Tesla prices and depreciated the entire sold fleet by a whopping amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

EVs are more than Tesla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about Tesla, and even just one model of Tesla.

biko wrote: »
    This thread is about Tesla, and even just one model of Tesla.
    Yes it is, but I was correcting the incorrect assumption made on thread about depreciation. There has been no model 3 depreciation.

Lol, Musk just slashed Tesla prices and depreciated the entire sold fleet by a whopping amount.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    EVs are more than Tesla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Has the whole Tesla fleet been massively depreciated.... I dont think it has.
    ELM, you're watching Model S more than most on here. Has the "whopping amount" happened?

KCross wrote: »
    ELM, you're watching Model S more than most on here. Has the "whopping amount" happened?

New prices have reduced significantly.
    The top spec Model S P100D with every option was 206k, now its about 125k

They have streamlined their options list also, everything is standard now.
    Your only options are wheel choice, colour then the AP stuff.

KCross wrote: »

Havent seen any depreciation in UK prices. However my target price range is around £35-£45k so wouldn't know if the newer ones are depreciating.

Taking us back on topic, I do expect some depreciation to happen when RHD model 3 is available.

• Advertisement

From a thread on one of the facebook groups, what do we reckon the performance model will be here, taking no options except EAP and FSD? EG black on black car.

Is it €68k in Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

unkel wrote: »

Got any proof to back that up??

I would have thought the Tesla resale values would be very good alright but saying depreciation on most EVs has been tiny would not be my experience as someone who owned and used half term rule to exit a Leaf PCP based mainly on the deprecation issue.

Any ideas what the GMFV might be from Tesla on a Model 3?

Villain wrote: »

I would have thought the Tesla resale values would be very good alright but saying depreciation on most EVs has been tiny would not be my experience as someone who owned and used half term rule to exit a Leaf PCP based mainly on the deprecation issue.

First gen leafs were the few that depreciated massively but that's to be expected with new adapters.

Nowadays people are not seeing depreciation. Leaf24 prices have risen in the last 24 months. Unkle's car (ioniq) could be sold now after 2 years of driving for almost what he paid for it!

Villain wrote: »

My 2014 leaf cost me €9,980 in March 2017. I sold it in feb 2019 for €11,000.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hyunday Galway have a 181 Ioniq advertised for only a grand less than what I paid for a 191.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement