Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie Parker Series

• 01-04-2016 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi, I heard an add on the radio for the new Charlie Parker novel this morning. I read the first three books and then never came back to the series...

Has anyone kept up with them,
    would I be lost picking up the latest book?
    are there any of the books that would be worth catching up with? On the radio it said that he died and came back to life, that sounds pretty cool :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think you need to put a spoiler tag on the opening post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I've just finished the 8th novel (I think).

Anyway it's called The Lovers. Have really enjoyed the series so far.

In answer to your question, I really feel that you should read them in order if you want to get the full back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 new Author

love the Charlie Parker series and John Connolly's books am just about to start :A Song Of Shadows :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Hi, I heard an add on the radio for the new Charlie Parker novel this morning. I read the first three books and then never came back to the series...

Has anyone kept up with them,
    would I be lost picking up the latest book?
    are there any of the books that would be worth catching up with? On the radio it said that he died and came back to life, that sounds pretty cool :)

Great books. Am up to speed on them all and waiting for the next one. Q1 next year.

You would be better off reading them in order. Not totally essential but there is a lot of cross-over involving secondary characters who may be alive or not depending on how you read them so it might get a bit confusing.

this only applies to the Parker novels of course.

Enjoy. Great books. Especially like Louis and Angel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Think he goes through a bit of a lull in the middle couple of books starting with Black Angel but the last few have been quite good again.
    Even the books during that 'lull' period were still quite good and I enjoyed how the supernatural side was creeping in more and more.
    Overall, I think it's a great series that really needs to be read in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Think he goes through a bit of a lull in the middle couple of books starting with Black Angel but the last few have been quite good again.
    Even the books during that 'lull' period were still quite good and I enjoyed how the supernatural side was creeping in more and more.
    Overall, I think it's a great series that really needs to be read in order.

Agreed. Its the supernatural angle that sets them apart from other detective novels. Parker is a great character and for an Irish writer Connolly really nails the american style if you know what I mean. No Oirshness shoehorned in etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The Charlie parker series in my opinion is brilliant. Really interesting/likeable lead character, great stories with a supernatural angle as well as straight crime thriller. I have read all the books so far and am really look forward to the next one. Great series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The new one, A Game of Ghosts, is being launched in The Gutter bookshop in Dublin tomorrow.

Advertisement