Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving near to Smithfield area

Options
  • 01-04-2016 11:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Guys

Got a new apartment in a gated complex on Cuckoos Lane in between Bolton St and Smithfield.

Just looking for a general view on the area?

Took a stroll for the first time in years up to Smithfield yesterday and was amazed at the amount of nice restaurants

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Who cares about the restaurants, you have Walshes on your doorstep - possibly the nicest Guinness in Dublin at the moment :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Smithfield is a great area. You've the Lighthouse cinema, Dice Bar, Block T (though that'll be gone soon) and the Generator all on the square. It's a great spot to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Just past Smithfield you also have Stoneybatter within easy reach. There are plenty of pubs and places to eat around there. If you're carniverous, try the food from 'My Meat Wagon' next to the Lighthouse cinema. If you like traditional Irish music, check out The Cobblestone pub in the square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Great restaurants, cinema, bars.

There can be a few junkies skulking about the place.
    Keep your wits about you and you won't have any trouble.

Great part of town! Highly underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Don't forget Mulligans in Stoneybatter - best gastropub out there.

• Advertisement

Don't forget Mulligans in Stoneybatter - best gastropub out there.

Food gone down big time.

Never liked there beers but was great for food at one time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

You have the wonderful Mulligans in Stoneybatter, the Lighthouse, Oscars Bar.

Fab Pizza place next door to the Lighthouse.

Then there is a lovely restaurant/café called Café Oasis which is a Lebanese BYO place. Think 3 course for €40!!

Brilliant Offie in Stoneybatter as well.

Great place to live

Slattsy wrote: »
    Food gone down big time.

Never liked there beers but was great for food at one time.

I would disagree. Used to go there all the time when we lived nearby. Hadn't been there in a couple of years and went back a few months ago and was very happy with the food.

Not a beer drinker myself, but there is a good selection

John Mason wrote: »
    You have the wonderful Mulligans in Stoneybatter, the Lighthouse, Oscars Bar.

Fab Pizza place next door to the Lighthouse.

Then there is a lovely restaurant/café called Café Oasis which is a Lebanese BYO place. Think 3 course for €40!!

Brilliant Offie in Stoneybatter as well.

Great place to live

Though, was back there recently and it was like a zombie apocalypse - except with hipsters! :P

I would disagree. Used to go there all the time when we lived nearby. Hadn't been there in a couple of years and went back a few months ago and was very happy with the food.

Not a beer drinker myself, but there is a good selection

Ah that's fair enough, ate there recently got the burger - was grand like.

They could do with changing the menu though, i dont think its ever changed.

Tend not to drink their due to the zombie hipster invasion ;) so straight to Walshes after :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

There can be a few junkies skulking about the place.

More drunks than junkies really. But I've never had a problem with either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! :)

Excited to move now!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Texas Jack wrote: »

Excited to move now!
    one word of caution you will have junikes / drunks using the stairs of the apartments at the gate in the lane as a hang out. Expect broken glass, the odd needle and the lane being used as a toilet. I've lived opposite there for 30 years. Otherwise as everyone says town on your doorstep, the markets area, Smithfield even the park all within reach, Enjoy.

Excited to move now!

I suppose the best single piece of advice i can give you is this;

Don't drink in The Glimmerman!

I suppose the best single piece of advice i can give you is this;

Don't drink in The Glimmerman!

Duly noted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭weldon

It really is a great area. I miss living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Though, was back there recently and it was like a zombie apocalypse - except with hipsters! :P

*yawn*

I drink in there regularly. You get all sorts in there.

This notion that it's only "hipsters" (whatever they are) who drink in there is just unimaginative nonsense.

Also - if the beer is good in the place (which it is in Mulligan's) who cares how the person down the bar from you is dressed. And I'm presuming you're just going by how people are dressed in there. Although to be honest I see the same people drinking in Walshe's as I do in Mulligan's so if there's a "hipster" problem in Mulligan's then there's one in Walshe's too!

Certainly a different clientele in Walshes to Mulligans. You might get the odd hipster in occasionally but its quite rare. And im there alot!

Certainly a different clientele in Walshes to Mulligans. You might get the odd hipster in occasionally but its quite rare. And im there alot!

How did you identify them as hipsters as a matter of interest because I see a pretty big crossover between the two to be fair - and I'm in both places a lot!

I think people are spotting what they think are "hipsters" (again - what's a hipster actually defined as?) in Mulligan's partially because of where they are and the preconceived notions they have about the place. But if they saw the same person in Walshe's they wouldn't look at them twice because it's Walshe's.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's a huge crossover between the two to be fair. I think you just have an odd idea about who drinks in Mulligan's!

:pac:

• Advertisement

Is there any pubs with a pool table and juke box?

Frank Ryan's on Queen St. has a pool table. Don't think they have a jukebox though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭greenexile

Brilliant area - Cobblestone and Dice Bar are great pubs and very handy for town.

Loving all the brilliant feedback- thanks guys!

Glimmerman has a jukebox! And darts, but I can't even remember now if they have a pool table.

Glimmerman has a jukebox! And darts, but I can't even remember now if they have a pool table.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭weldon

The Hacienda in the fruit market (two minute walk from cuckoo lane) has the best pool tables in the city centre. It also has a jukebox, that said, I don't think there's a single song on the jukebox from any later than 1989, but that's fine by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

weldon wrote: »
    The Hacienda in the fruit market (two minute walk from cuckoo lane) has the best pool tables in the city centre. It also has a jukebox, that said, I don't think there's a single song on the jukebox from any later than 1989, but that's fine by me!
    That place is a total death trap. Locked iron gates on every exit (even windows). In an emergency, think Stardust.

Went there once- never again. Imo, people who thinks it's 'cool' are lame-brained.

Not your ornery onager

weldon wrote: »

The Hacienda also only opens around eight so no afternoon pints and pool in there.

• Advertisement

That Hacienda looks like my sort of place - dark, juke box, pool table and probably stinking of piss :D

Advertisement