Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving near to Smithfield area

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Texas Jack wrote: »
    That Hacienda looks like my sort of place - dark, juke box, pool table and probably stinking of piss :D

It's no pishy at all! The smoking area btw... that's good craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

La_Gordy wrote: »
    It's no pishy at all! The smoking area btw... that's good craic.

Does the bar get busy at all? Walked by ti a few times but was always closed, or at least appeared to be

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Isn't there more to an opinion of an area than just pubs and bars? :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Isn't there more to an opinion of an area than just pubs and bars? :confused:
    Lots of coffee shops too!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Its pretty small in side so always gets busy.

You can't just "walk in" you have to ring the buzzer at the door and the owner lets you in. Very bizarre.

It always looks closed from the outside!

Smoking area is literally a cupboard thing out the back.

Interesting place!

Looked at their facebook and they seem to attract 'celebs' - cast of Vikings, Ed Sheeran, Kodaline, Jeremy Irons and a few others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Looked at their facebook and they seem to attract 'celebs' - cast of Vikings, Ed Sheeran, Kodaline, Jeremy Irons and a few others

McConaughey used to frequent the place when he was making that dragon film in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Been to the Hacienda 2 or 3 times, once i wasn't nearly getting in but my mates were already inside so he let me in. Nice place nothing too amazing, good place to play some pool.
    Smithfield in general is a great spot, lived near there for 3 years and miss it now i'm in the suburbs. Nice place to walk around in the summer time, some nice cafes and restaurants and more opening all the time. Stoneybatter is a good spot too to grab some grub or a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

If you're carniverous, try the food from 'My Meat Wagon' next to the Lighthouse cinema.

Nowhere near the best BBQ in town, but by no means the worst either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Nowhere near the best BBQ in town, but by no means the worst either.

Well, don't just say it's nowhere near the best without suggesting some places that are somewhere near the best!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Well, don't just say it's nowhere near the best without suggesting some places that are somewhere near the best!:D
    Bison is probably the best, but I'm more partial to Texas style BBQ. If you like sweeter St. Louis style I've heard the place on George's St. is nice (I don't particularly like the sweetness myself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

It's PittBros on George's st, only been once but it was fantastic. Have been in Bison many times but never eaten. I'll change that soon!

It's PittBros on George's st, only been once but it was fantastic. Have been in Bison many times but never eaten. I'll change that soon!

I like Bison but can't stand their potato salad. It's gack.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I like Bison but can't stand their potato salad. It's gack.
    *ALL* potato salad is absolute gick and should be illegal.

*ALL* potato salad is absolute gick and should be illegal.

It can be tasty! I SWEAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Ugh, I'm born and raised in the Deep South and I thought Pitt Brothers was really, really bad. School lunch cafeteria standard, I can't understand why people think it's good.

I like My Meat Wagon and Bison Bar. Not as good as home, but still nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

cactusgal wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm born and raised in the Deep South and I thought Pitt Brothers was really, really bad. School lunch cafeteria standard, I can't understand why people think it's good.

I like My Meat Wagon and Bison Bar. Not as good as home, but still nice.

Horses for courses I guess. There are plenty of burrito places around that are great but which would probably horrify someone from Mexico. I'll bow to your local knowledge and try the others but I did enjoy Pittbros very much!

Moved in yesterday :)

Loving it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

There are plenty of burrito places around that are great but which would probably horrify someone from Mexico.

Especially because they all sell California burritos :pac:

Jaysus lads you weren't wrong about the p*ssheads knacker drinking down the lane at Cuckoo Lane, were you?

About 8 of them threw a party down the lane last night for a good 3 hours - in fairness to them they were harmless and moved on, but the NOISE out of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Jaysus lads you weren't wrong about the p*ssheads knacker drinking down the lane at Cuckoo Lane, were you?

About 8 of them threw a party down the lane last night for a good 3 hours - in fairness to them they were harmless and moved on, but the NOISE out of them :D

Get used to it, Smithfield is nothing but noise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Since everyone is posting about pubs - I'll chip in as nobody has mentioned it. Delany's at the top of Smithfield is a hidden gem. Excellent beer garden for the summer, lovely locals and toasted cheese sambos.

If you're looking for a gym 1Escape is excellent - but not cheap.

Theres a Joe Burger beside the Jameson Distillery.

The best breakfast are served by Third Space at the bottom of Smithfield (although you'll get 3rd degree burns from the plates) and Cowtown in Stoneybatter.

Kish Fish have an outlet store in Smithfield that is always worth a visit.

Looking for a fancy meal - try the modern Tapas in Boqueria at the top of Stoneybatter.

catch--22 wrote: »
    Since everyone is posting about pubs - I'll chip in as nobody has mentioned it. Delany's at the top of Smithfield is a hidden gem. Excellent beer garden for the summer, lovely locals and toasted cheese sambos.

Is it a tad on the rough side, or does it just look that way?

The best breakfast are served by Third Space at the bottom of Smithfield (although you'll get 3rd degree burns from the plates) and Cowtown in Stoneybatter.

Both places do a decent breakfast, but I think Cowtown is the better of the two by quite a distance. Wuff on the corner of Blackhall Place and Benburb St. is another good spot for a breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is it a tad on the rough side, or does it just look that way?

Nope, tis a grand spot. Good pint too.

I'd go there before Dice Bar. Actually i'd never step foot in Dice Bar again :D

Looking for a fancy meal - try the modern Tapas in Boqueria at the top of Stoneybatter.

Which one is this?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Which one is this?

On the corner of Manor St. and Manor Place. A few doors from the notorious Maureen's.

On the corner of Manor St. and Manor Place. A few doors from the notorious Maureen's.

The mad bitch!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'd agree with all of this apart from Third Space. Yuk!

There's also Urbanity and Proper Order for coffee.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The breakfasts in Java Bay are better than in Cowtown*, but the place doesn't open on Sundays which is a bit odd.

Also the chef doesn't heat the plates so if you're having eggs or something similar you have to scoff it.

* I pretty much only ever have the eggs & feta special, but the other stuff I see people eating looks good too!

• Advertisement

Is there any free parking in the area?

Advertisement