Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home security systems

Options
  • 01-04-2016 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how to change/wire a astec sensor to a hkc sensor, the astec sensor has a eol 1.5 resister in it.I also need to know how to change/wire a astec window contact to a hkc contact.Thanks..........

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

An Astec system contact will not work on a HKC system. You can convert standard contacts to work with Astec but not the other way around.
    Why are you wanting to use an old Astec contact anyway.?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭tangoman

Thanks for coming back to me. Sorry for the confusion. I have an Astec alarm. On the window frame is a Astec sensor, inside it is a 1.5 EOL resistor. It also has a pre-wired contact beside it. I want to take out the Astec sensor and contact and change it to a HKC read sensor. Can you tell me how to wire this please. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ahh got ya. That's easily done.Wire the contact sensor and tamper in series with the 1.5 k at the end of line. Also wire a 680ohm resistor in parallel across the contact only.

Thanks Koolkid, I have done the following - I put in a link from 1 to 3, I also put in a link from 4 to 6, I put one end of a 680ohm resistor into 5 and the other end into 6, I then wired the red alarm cable into 5, I then connected the black alarm cable to one end of the 1.5 resistor and the other end of the resistor I put into number 2. The problem I now have is that I can set the alarm with the window open. Any idea where I went wrong?

I'm mobile at the moment and having pints so I'm trying to picture this in my head. Hopefully it is right.

Red..... 4
    Black... 1
    Loop 2-3
    1k5 resistor across 5 & 6
    680 ohm resistor across 1 & 6

• Advertisement

Thanks Koolkid, enjoy the pints! I'll try the way you just told me, I hope it will be right too, I'm pulling my hair out. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Thanks again Koolkid, it know seems to be operating fine......... I used a 680 ohm, 1 whatt resistor, can you please confirm if the wattage in this resistor is ok?

Should be Ok. The normal is quarter watt.

Fingers crossed. For future reference would the wattage for the 1.5 resistor be quarter watt aswell?

Yes.
    If you need any give me a shout. I've loads.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Advertisement