Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very old Eircom Phonewatch alarm

Options
  • 01-04-2016 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a very old (Eircom) Phonewatch alarm system which is still connected and monitored by the current Phonewatch company. It predates even the Simon panel - and is called Nynex. Probably very sophisticated for its time - but I've been informed that it will not be maintained further as parts are no longer available.

So, I'm looking at my options for updating. I've been offered a "special" update price by Phonewatch, but I don't think it's all that special (considering how long I've been paying for maintenance) and their monitoring cost is very high.

So my questions are :

(1) Is it worth switching to another monitoring company, using the existing system (I'm worried it's too old and a more modern system would be better) ?

(2) I think a new system might be the best option - could any of the old wireless sensors be reused - or would that be a bad idea ?

(3) Is there a company which provides monitoring and installation - or are these now normally separate ?

(4) I've read loads of different recommendations here about what system is best - is there any way of deciding what system/who to contact. Or - it is the old "get 3 estimates and choose then" ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Nynex was actually their first range of panels, in those days they were called Telecom Eireann phonewatch so that will give you an idea.
    Nynex were an American manufacturer and used the US frequencies for their sensors which are now not allowed in the EU as those that know best have declared.

So in other words, the frequency of your alarm is 300 and something megahertz, subsequently the European one became 400 and something, this subsequently became 868 which is now the norm.

As you can imagine parts for your system would now be very difficult to source.

You can indeed move what you currently have to another monitoring company ( and have a good night out with the difference in monitoring fees :D ).

I agree that a new system would indeed be best, unfortunately as there is a frequency issue, all of your existing detectors would need to be replaced.

Yes there are companies that do installations and have their own monitoring service, but being honest don't let that have much of a bearing on your decision as to who to use as any PSA licensed installer can connect to any monitoring station, well except one, that is. :rolleyes:

We cannot advertise here as to who is best etc, as you might have seen in other threads. But those of us here who are professional installers always recommend 3 written quotations as it is best for all concerned.

Best advice i suppose would be to chat to neighbours and friends who have alarms installed by other companies and get their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You can use a quik bridge to keep the existing 319.5mhz sensors that you have. Spares can be got on eBay. The US has kept this frequency.
    It's not clear if you can or can't use 319.5mhz over here as it was the norm one time but it isn't now. That would be like saying you can't add a wireless device to a 433.92mhz system because now 868mhz is the standard.

If your existing system is working and isn't causing you trouble then don't change it. Instead just change your monitoring to another company.

Advertisement