Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building a pvc wall in the garden

Options
  • 01-04-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

my husband and I have a cat, which has been always indoor. Now we have bought a house with garden, and there is a dangerous part in which in the cat can jump and go out.

We want to give him the freedom of being in the garden without supervision, so we are thinking of building a PVC wall, which will split the garden in two. That's why we want to use clear plastic, like the walls in a sunroom. We will need also a door (sliding or regular).

It should be 5,60 m long and 2,10 tall.

I am trying to contact builders and sunroom/conservatories companies, but I don't have much info yet. How much should I expect to pay for this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Clear plastic will discolor over time even with the best UV protection. Think its a terrible idea to be honest and to make it worse i cant think of another solution for you. (I hate giving bad news without some sort of solution)

My OH sister has two cats and as far as i can tell, they are able to circumvent nearly every option put in front of them to hinder them.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭akesha

And using glass? Being that high (2,10 m) and with anything in which the cat can hang with the claws is enough to maintain them safe.

We are using a harness right now, so we have to go with him, and he spends almost all the time now crying for letting him go out.

I don't like much the idea either, but I only can think about that or maybe a net/fence like this one: http://www.purrfectfence.com/images/slider/img-slider-7lg.jpg
    But this is much uglier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

akesha wrote: »
    Hi all,

my husband and I have a cat, which has been always indoor. Now we have bought a house with garden, and there is a dangerous part in which in the cat can jump and go out.

We want to give him the freedom of being in the garden without supervision, so we are thinking of building a PVC wall, which will split the garden in two. That's why we want to use clear plastic, like the walls in a sunroom. We will need also a door (sliding or regular).

It should be 5,60 m long and 2,10 tall.

I am trying to contact builders and sunroom/conservatories companies, but I don't have much info yet. How much should I expect to pay for this?

Thanks!

I think I know the kind of thing you mean. Came across a website recently. I don't know anything about them but they hava gallery of various constructions using pvc (?) Plastic construction materials. Might give you some ideas what to look for / is possible.

Just checked and I don't think I can put up links on the forum?

Have pmd you

Thanks, I will get a quote from them, it is similar of what I have in mind, which is like this:

Conservatory8a.jpe

but only the front wall and door.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thanks, I will get a quote from them, it is similar of what I have in mind, which is like this:

Conservatory8a.jpe

but only the front wall and door.

Ah ok. Lucky cat!

The plastic coriboard may be a cheaper alternative to glass

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2.1m high. Will planning be an issue?

kceire wrote: »
    2.1m high. Will planning be an issue?

Will be? I didn't think so because it is not an extension, and it is in the back garden. But I actually don't know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Will be? I didn't think so because it is not an extension, and it is in the back garden. But I actually don't know.

The height of any wall to the rear cannot exceed 2m IIRC.

Advertisement