Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a Business and Reducing Capital Gains

Options
  • 01-04-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

** Note: The below is an example, not a real life situation. I'm not an accountant or a lawyer so I don't know the ins and outs of selling a business and the below is purely an example"

---

If someone wanted to offer X amount for your business, you have €1000 in assets and the rest goodwill (name, brand, existing contracts, etc), say they offer €30,000

With Capital Gains Tax at 33%, Could you sell the business for €1, transfer all assets and IP to the new owner and then invoice them €29,000 as consultant fees?, you would have vat at 23% included but save 10% from capital gains?

this is just a barstool thought..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

jacksn wrote: »
    ** Note: The below is an example, not a real life situation. I'm not an accountant or a lawyer so I don't know the ins and outs of selling a business and the below is purely an example"

---

If someone wanted to offer X amount for your business, you have €1000 in assets and the rest goodwill (name, brand, existing contracts, etc), say they offer €30,000

With Capital Gains Tax at 33%, Could you sell the business for €1, transfer all assets and IP to the new owner and then invoice them €29,000 as consultant fees?, you would have vat at 23% included but save 10% from capital gains?

Thanks

And the year-end tax for the Consultant Fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

jacksn wrote: »

---

Thanks

As me learned colleague has enquired what about the income tax PRSI and USC.

VAT is usually irrelevant as the purchaser can claim it back.

Advertisement