Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't remember signing up to Contract - now being charged exit fee

Options
  • 01-04-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,
    Two issues here I'm afraid.
    I've moved house and the closing meter reading was submitted by my landlord yesterday. Today I received a closing bill with an early exit fee €50.

I rang EI and was told I'd signed up to a contract last August for an 8% discount. However, I knew I would be moving to a new house within 4-6 months so there's no way I would have signed up to a 12 month contract. I also have no record of any correspondence by email or otherwise of signing up to any contract.

To make things a bit more annoying,  the electricity at my new address (new build) is also provided by EI so I had two addresses on the same account and I was still being charged an exit fee. Safe to say if I'm paying an exit fee I'm not staying with EI at the new address.

On a separate issue, your online meter reading submission is not working properly. In the end I had to ring Customer Service to submit the reading. 
    Not too annoyed about ringing as it's probably a software glitch but then I never received a bill for the extra I had to pay nor was I told the date it was to be taken out - which was not the normal bill pay date. So I didn't know that you were going to take money out of my account. 
    I didn't have enough in the account on that day to cover the bill so the DD was refused. I was charged an unauthorised overdraft fee by my own bank and I'm also going to be charged a non-payment fee from Electric Ireland.

Surely not giving notice of the bill and the date it would be taken out contravenes the Direct Debit agreement? I'm really annoyed at having to pay two sets of charges when I'm always very careful to have enough money in my bills account to cover bills.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi ForEffsSake,

We are sorry to read of your unhappiness with your customer experience. My colleague Una has responded to your query about meter readings on another thread.

If you would like us to look into either of your queries for you, please send us a private message with the following details:
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)

Do let us know if we can be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

Advertisement