Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used Tractor Purchasing Advice

Options
  • 01-04-2016 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to buy a used tractor from a proper contractor. Although I am no stranger to the use and function of tractors, I have never bought a tractor before. I really want to have a knowledgeable mechanic examine the machine before I buy.

I was wondering if any mechanics offer this kind of service where they will travel to examine a tractor for a certain price. If so, what kind of money would a mechanic look for? (I assume it largely depends on how far they have to travel)

I am in Galway and the contractor is in the Tuam area.

Are there any crucial pieces of information that are essential to have when buying a used tractor? (I know year, hours, prior users, master cylinders, brakes, clutch and PTO are probably the most important)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Theres alot of contractors that are pretty hard on tractors and put alot of hours up. How big of a yoke you on about buying??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Do you mean a contractor or tractor dealer ? Do you know any local tractor mehanic to you ? Id say most of them would take a look with you if you knew one and I'd reckon the price could vary alot , some mightn't charge at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Bullocks wrote: »
    Do you mean a contractor or tractor dealer ? Do you know any local tractor mehanic to you ? Id say most of them would take a look with you if you knew one and I'd reckon the price could vary alot , some mightn't charge at all

I meant tractor dealer sorry. I don't know anyone who would do it for free... :(
    I was hoping there would be one near the dealer who does this regularly as a standard service for a fixed price.
    I think it would be best if I didn't know the person. As if the tractor turned out bad then that could cause trouble between us (not that I would hold it against anyone!!)

Theres alot of contractors that are pretty hard on tractors and put alot of hours up. How big of a yoke you on about buying??

I need one for lifting round silage bales and pulling trailers of turf + other typical farm duties (topping, rolling, fertilising etc). So I was looking for a 2WD maybe 50-60 BHP. I was thinking of getting a Zetor 5211 or 6340 as I have experience using these and they are relatively easy to repair. I have a budget of €8-12k ( I would prefer closer to €8k but will fork out more if worth it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

If I was looking for a tractor for that type of work i would buy a 7000. 90 Hp, good on diesel. You'd sell it again for the same money in 10 years!

• Advertisement

cjpm wrote: »
    If I was looking for a tractor for that type of work i would buy a 7000. 90 Hp, good on diesel. You'd sell it again for the same money in 10 years!

Interesting choice. The farm isn't all that big but I do wonder whether I would need a more powerful machine. There is a really steep hill declining onto a main road that I would have to overcome with a trailer of turf on the back. Maybe a 7000 would be more suitable for this. Zetor's brakes leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭greenpetrol

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I meant tractor dealer sorry. I don't know anyone who would do it for free... :(
    I was hoping there would be one near the dealer who does this regularly as a standard service for a fixed price.
    I think it would be best if I didn't know the person. As if the tractor turned out bad then that could cause trouble between us (not that I would hold it against anyone!!)
    Wouldn't be getting anyone near the dealer to be checking the tractor ! Those in the business all know each other best get someone local to yourself ! Donedeal couldl save you 2k over a dealer! Bring a man to check it throughly! ! Unless your buying new !dealers arnt much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I need one for lifting round silage bales and pulling trailers of turf + other typical farm duties (topping, rolling, fertilising etc). So I was looking for a 2WD maybe 50-60 BHP. I was thinking of getting a Zetor 5211 or 6340 as I have experience using these and they are relatively easy to repair. I have a budget of €8-12k ( I would prefer closer to €8k but will fork out more if worth it)

For comfort with handling bales, I think i'd be looking for something closer to 70 hp, like a 7211, available @ €5-7k would be grand and they have a comfortable cab too compared to many other tractors in that price range. Granted they have their faults but they are generally a good runner and easy & cheap to repair.

Maybe a MF 290, there's a thread on here about them at the moment, they would prob be a bit more expensive and have less creature comforts.

In any case beware of tarted up piles of crap you can get in some dealer's yards. Buying off done deal might get you something cheaper than from a dealer but carries the same or even more risks. If you are not that confident, buy off a reputable local dealer, you might even get a 3 month guarantee.

You are right to bring a mechanic with you to look over the machine, there must be someone local you can ask, even a local farmer who has/had the same tractor previously / good with machinery / has good experience of buying/reviewing tractors.

Have you moved into the area recently or new to farming?

jimmy G M wrote: »
    For comfort with handling bales, I think i'd be looking for something closer to 70 hp, like a 7211, available @ €5-7k would be grand and they have a comfortable cab too compared to many other tractors in that price range. Granted they have their faults but they are generally a good runner and easy & cheap to repair.

Maybe a MF 290, there's a thread on here about them at the moment, they would prob be a bit more expensive and have less creature comforts.

In any case beware of tarted up piles of crap you can get in some dealer's yards. Buying off done deal might get you something cheaper than from a dealer but carries the same or even more risks. If you are not that confident, buy off a reputable local dealer, you might even get a 3 month guarantee.

You are right to bring a mechanic with you to look over the machine, there must be someone local you can ask, even a local farmer who has/had the same tractor previously / good with machinery / has good experience of buying/reviewing tractors.

Have you moved into the area recently or new to farming?

I've been in Galway all my life. I have an old Zetor 6211 that I used for years when I was younger but then I went off to college and abandoned the farm. The old Zetor (1987) isn't faring too well.

I have a job now though so want to buy a reliable machine that makes working around the farm easier.

I know of plenty of people around who are into tractors but I don't know them well enough to trust them or ask them to come with me to look at a tractor (I don't really see anyone anymore since I work all week).
    I'm still in my mid 20s so making informed decisions is difficult enough...

I took a look on donedeal and although they look very pretty on the outside, I have no idea whats going on on the inside. At least the dealer that I have been speaking to says that he replaces the cylinders, brakes etc if needed before he sells.
    He seems honest enough (even though every tractor he has is a "fine clean tractor not a bother")

Just for reference he is looking for €8500 for an 87 Zetor 5211, €10,000 for a 1991 Zetor 6320, but says he can negotiate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I've been in Galway all my life. I have an old Zetor 6211 that I used for years when I was younger but then I went off to college and abandoned the farm. The old Zetor (1987) isn't faring too well.

I have a job now though so want to buy a reliable machine that makes working around the farm easier.

I know of plenty of people around who are into tractors but I don't know them well enough to trust them or ask them to come with me to look at a tractor (I don't really see anyone anymore since I work all week).

I took a look on donedeal and although they look very pretty on the outside, I have no idea whats going on on the inside. At least the dealer that I have been speaking to says that he replaces the cylinders, brakes etc if needed before he sells.
    He seems honest enough (even though every tractor he has is a "fine clean tractor not a bother")

Just for reference he is looking for €8500 for an 87 Zetor 5211, €10,000 for a 1991 Zetor 6320, but says he can negotiate.

8.5k for a 30 yr old zetor. I am sorry I am being blunt but I think you should keep looking. I know it's hard buying your first tractor. There must be someone locally or an uncle or cousin in the family that knows a bit about machinery and you can trust.

Find 3 for sale in roughly the same area, look on websites for the dealers locally, ring them they might have something else not on the website yet or coming in as a trade in.

Secondly, find someone to take with you and take a day off to go look at them, you don't have to buy the first one you see. Test the hydraulics, fusion bales are getting heavier all the time, not far off a ton in a wet year. The only good thing about a zetor IMHO is the cab, loads of room for used bale wrap and the dog.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Bad hydraulic output is one thing that drives me insane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Op, I have a couple of Zetors, including a very good 7211 that I bought in the last year which cost less than half what you're being quoted for the 5211.
    Both tractors that he is selling you are way overpriced.
    cjpm made a very good suggestion above.
    Buy a good 7000, look after it and keep it housed when not in use, including every night. It will never depreciate.

blue5000 wrote: »
    8.5k for a 30 yr old zetor. I am sorry I am being blunt but I think you should keep looking. I know it's hard buying your first tractor. There must be someone locally or an uncle or cousin in the family that knows a bit about machinery and you can trust.

Find 3 for sale in roughly the same area, look on websites for the dealers locally, ring them they might have something else not on the website yet or coming in as a trade in.

Secondly, find someone to take with you and take a day off to go look at them, you don't have to buy the first one you see. Test the hydraulics, fusion bales are getting heavier all the time, not far off a ton in a wet year. The only good thing about a zetor IMHO is the cab, loads of room for used bale wrap and the dog.

Thanks for the useful advice. I am open to other makes other than Zetor but since I have used 2 in the past that have lasted for years, I tend to want to stick to them. Also, I find that the amount of people that swear by Zetors far out number those who criticise them.

If I was a full time farmer with loads of land I would definitely fork out and get a 4WD non-Zetor. But since I'll only be using it every now and again 7-9 months in the year, you can't beat a Zetor in terms of cost, ease of repair and availability of parts.

Op, I have a couple of Zetors, including a very good 7211 that I bought in the last year which cost less than half what you're being quoted for the 5211.
    Both tractors that he is selling you are way overpriced.
    cjpm made a very good suggestion above.
    Buy a good 7000, look after it and keep it housed when not in use, including every night. It will never depreciate.

I like to hear this advice. It puts a bit more detail on the map of unknown waters I find myself in.

I think I will avoid the dealer I was in contact with. I lost confidence when he told me that one of the 'perfect' tractors he had, had 3 previous owners.

Thanks for the useful advice. I am open to other makes other than Zetor but since I have used 2 in the past that have lasted for years, I tend to want to stick to them. Also, I find that the amount of people that swear by Zetors far out number those who criticise them.

If I was a full time farmer with loads of land I would definitely fork out and get a 4WD non-Zetor. But since I'll only be using it every now and again 7-9 months in the year, you can't beat a Zetor in terms of cost, ease of repair and availability of parts.

A 7000 would beat it in terms of ease of repair and availability of parts.... Simply because they almost never break down in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Way over-priced. You should be able to get a 5211 for €4.0k and up to €6k at a dealer. 7211 around the same price as the 50hp 5211 and better able to cope with round bales, so i'd be forgetting about a 5211, only a 3 cylinder and short wheelbase.
    No real idea on the price of a 6320 (4 cylinder aprox 65 hp) but again would seem to be €2k-€3k overpriced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I like to hear this advice. It puts a bit more detail on the map of unknown waters I find myself in.

I think I will avoid the dealer I was in contact with. I lost confidence when he told me that one of the 'perfect' tractors he had, had 3 previous owners.

If his old tractor was 20 odd years old....three owners wouldn't be that unusual??

If his old tractor was 20 odd years old....three owners wouldn't be that unusual??

It's probably not unusual but the more prior owners the higher likilihood that one of them was an A-hole to tractors!! :)

Op, if you do consider a ford 7000, the original engines in these were a weak point and prone to going porous. You would want to be sure that it has been resleeved before buying.
    Every make of tractor will have weak points.

Would the person that has serviced or done repairs on your 6211in the past be willing to go with you?

Another option would be to get your 6211 refurbished. What kind of order is it in at the moment?

Op, if you do consider a ford 7000, the original engines in these were a weak point and prone to going porous. You would want to be sure that it has been resleeved before buying.
    Every make of tractor will have weak points.

Would the person that has serviced or done repairs on your 6211in the past be willing to go with you?

Another option would be to get your 6211 refurbished. What kind of order is it in at the moment?

Would a Ford 7000 be very difficult to come by if they are so popular?

Now that you mention service or repairs, I think I have a neighbour who may have done repairs on the Zetor years back when I was a wee lad. He went off to Austrailia though but I think he may have returned. I could ask him if he is back.
    I can't get the 6211 refurbished I'm afraid. It's not currently in my possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Would a Ford 7000 be very difficult to come by if they are so popular?

Now that you mention service or repairs, I think I have a neighbour who may have done repairs on the Zetor years back when I was a wee lad. He went off to Austrailia though but I think he may have returned. I could ask him if he is back.
    I can't get the 6211 refurbished I'm afraid. It's not currently in my possession.

If you have 8/12k to spend on a 2wd tractor there is great choice without having to go back to a ford 7000 .
    Have a quick look on done deal within that price range and see what looks suitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If you have 8/12k to spend on a 2wd tractor there is great choice without having to go back to a ford 7000 .
    Have a quick look on done deal within that price range and see what looks suitable

Surly pick up a 2wd fiat 100/90....I passed up one in VGC for 2.5K not so long ago
    Needed a clutch and few wiring bits done to it (would've done it myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tea_addict

a zetor 9520 is a good 2wd , there are a few on done deal right now , breens in cashel have one

great engine in those zetors

That's true bullocks. For that money you would get a mint case 856xl or 844xl, Mf 398, Ford 6810 or 7610, all of which would hold there value well and would be well capable of a days work. Oh and alot more comfortable than a 7000.

Thanks Bullocks, tomwaterford, tea addict and White Clover for the advice and suggestions.

I saw a nice Ford 7610 on donedeal. It was just put up today. 1989, 6000hrs.
    Seller was a dealer on the other side of Galway but not too far. I gave him a call and he wouldn't give me a quote or tell me what work was or will be done on it before he sells. All he said was the standard "everything is perfect, no problems whatsoever" and said I would need to come and see it to get more information.

There were other private sellers of Ford 7610s, one in Laois (1990 for €9000) and one in Cork (1988 for €8500). So I can assume that the dealer will look for €10-12k for the 1989.

The Zetor 9520s are getting me excited. There is a nice one in Roscommon (1995) but it has 4700hrs on it so I assume the brakes, clutch and water pumps could be on the way out. Unless they were replaced and now the dealer could look for a small fortune for it.

I did a search based on my budget on Donedeal but nothing jumped out at me and I'm sure I missed out on many as most don't put the pricing up. I'm surprised at the amount of tractors going up everyday though. Maybe my rose among the weeds will pop up yet :)

If you get a 7610 make sure you don't get the Rubik's cube gearbox!! Series 3 are a great tractor.

cjpm wrote: »
    If you get a 7610 make sure you don't get the Rubik's cube gearbox!! Series 3 are a great tractor.

Are those the ones that double shift? I remember getting the old Zetor stuck in reverse the odd time. I just had to open her up and knock back it into neutral with a screw driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

065.jpg
    Are those the ones that double shift? I remember getting the old Zetor stuck in reverse the odd time. I just had to open her up and knock back it into neutral with a screw driver.

Rubiks cube 'boxes were the column mounted gearboxes. They had some gear positions that were hard to change into and people didn't like them as a result.

Unless you are lucky and find a "one owner from new" tractor with someone who liked this setup and knew how to change the gears properly it would be best to avoid them as most drivers weren't careful with them.

[/QUOTE]Rubiks cube 'boxes were the column mounted gearboxes. They had some gear positions that were hard to change into and people didn't like them as a result.

Unless you are lucky and find a "one owner from new" tractor with someone who liked this setup and knew how to change the gears properly it would be best to avoid them as most drivers weren't careful with them.[/QUOTE]

Right. I see why that would be unpopular. The seller doesn't have an image of inside the cab so I would have to ask him.

Apart from the puzzle gearbox is there a consensus that the Ford 7610 is a fine tractor?

cjpm, lets say in a theoretical world a ford needed replacement parts or repair, would it be difficult/expensive?

• Advertisement

Rubiks cube 'boxes were the column mounted gearboxes. They had some gear positions that were hard to change into and people didn't like them as a result.

Unless you are lucky and find a "one owner from new" tractor with someone who liked this setup and knew how to change the gears properly it would be best to avoid them as most drivers weren't careful with them.[/QUOTE]

Right. I see why that would be unpopular. The seller doesn't have an image of inside the cab so I would have to ask him.

Apart from the puzzle gearbox is there a consensus that the Ford 7610 is a fine tractor?

cjpm, lets say in a theoretical world a ford needed replacement parts or repair, would it be difficult/expensive?[/quote]

The 7610s that you are looking at are all Super Q cab models which have floor Change gears to the right hand side.
    The series 3 were the best of them. These are identified by having a ribbed engine block. They are a good tractor but there is nearly always an oil leak somewhere on them. Just make sure the engine is sound. Its their weakest link.

Advertisement