Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used Tractor Purchasing Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

The 7610s that you are looking at are all Super Q cab models which have floor Change gears to the right hand side.
    The series 3 were the best of them. These are identified by having a ribbed engine block. They are a good tractor but there is nearly always an oil leak somewhere on them. Just make sure the engine is sound. Its their weakest link.

Some good tips there, thanks. Probably not ideal to have the engine as the weakest link but if it has seen 5000+hrs its unlikely that the engine will show any problems at this stage?

That's true bullocks. For that money you would get a mint case 856xl or 844xl, Mf 398, Ford 6810 or 7610, all of which would hold there value well and would be well capable of a days work. Oh and alot more comfortable than a 7000.

Well lads. Thanks for all the help. I've done a lot of research since I last posted. I have decided to move away from the Zetors and have my heart set on a Ford 7610 (Thanks White Clover). There was a nice one available in Galway last week but I missed out on it. I was sickened.

There's a Ford 6810 available right now. It has the AP cab but apparently it got the "floor change". What does this mean exactly? He told me the gears are on the floor between the legs so I assume thats it. Is this much worse than the super Q cab?

He assures me that it has the newer engine model. So can I be certain that the block is not porous or suffers from bad blow back?

It's a 1990 with 6000hrs. The seller is looking for €12k but is willing to drop closer to €11k.

I set myself a goal last week that I would have a tractor purchased within a fortnight as the fields needed rolling. The recent rains bought me time though. Would I be stupid to miss out on this opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Well lads. Thanks for all the help. I've done a lot of research since I last posted. I have decided to move away from the Zetors and have my heart set on a Ford 7610 (Thanks White Clover). There was a nice one available in Galway last week but I missed out on it. I was sickened.

There's a Ford 6810 available right now. It has the AP cab but apparently it got the "floor change". What does this mean exactly? He told me the gears are on the floor between the legs so I assume thats it. Is this much worse than the super Q cab?

He assures me that it has the newer engine model. So can I be certain that the block is not porous or suffers from bad blow back?

It's a 1990 with 6000hrs. The seller is looking for €12k but is willing to drop closer to €11k.

I set myself a goal last week that I would have a tractor purchased within a fortnight as the fields needed rolling. The recent rains bought me time though. Would I be stupid to miss out on this opportunity?

Just to set the record straight here Bfa, I wouldn't be a big ford fan 😉

On the 6810 you're talking about, that particular gearbox is bombproof. Hard to know with the engine although the ribbed block models were least likely to go porous.
    One thing about that particular tractor that is putting me off is all that fresh blue paint. Its even on the steering wheel and the hand throttle!.
    Those AP cabs were notorious for rusting so all that paint could be hiding the truel condition of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

An AP cab with floor change is the old style gearbox shift pattern from the 70's. There is no horror stories attached to it like the rubix's cube gearboxes. Just to check that it works like any other gearbox.

The cab will have a much lower level of comfort though - are you happy with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I don't mind any type tractor but don't rush yourself to buy anything especially over getting rolling done .
    Have you upped the budget aswell ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

cjpm wrote: »
    A 7000 would beat it in terms of ease of repair and availability of parts.... Simply because they almost never break down in the first place!

Apart from the engines going porous :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

By this stage 1990, ford had the porous problem sorted by using a special water filter which stopped corrosion. Make sure it's still on that tractor. Another + is the 6810 will have a rotary fuel pump instead of an in-line one. They are easier on fuel and much better to start. Cab won't have a completely flat floor, and as already said look out for rust.
    Best of luck.

http://www.hiltonmachinery.co.uk/product/used-ford-6810-series-3/361.html Red filter over front wheel in this link is the water filter.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Just to set the record straight here Bfa, I wouldn't be a big ford fan 😉

On the 6810 you're talking about, that particular gearbox is bombproof. Hard to know with the engine although the ribbed block models were least likely to go porous.
    One thing about that particular tractor that is putting me off is all that fresh blue paint. Its even on the steering wheel and the hand throttle!.
    Those AP cabs were notorious for rusting so all that paint could be hiding the truel condition of it..
    Well spotted. I wouldn't have noticed all that unnecessary paint only for you said.
    Have you had bad experiences with Fords before or do you just have preference for other makes?
    An AP cab with floor change is the old style gearbox shift pattern from the 70's. There is no horror stories attached to it like the rubix's cube gearboxes. Just to check that it works like any other gearbox.

The cab will have a much lower level of comfort though - are you happy with that?

Very useful info thanks. I can't tell if I would be happy with a much lower level of comfort as I don't have much to compare. The cab on the zetor was huge but it was kind of hard to see out of. When you say comfort do you mean space, ability to see around the tractor, available windows to open, low roof? Or a combination of all of the above?
    Bullocks wrote: »
    I don't mind any type tractor but don't rush yourself to buy anything especially over getting rolling done .
    Have you upped the budget aswell ?

That's true but the rolling usually signifies the start of the summer's work for us, and there is nothing worse than not rolling the fields on time! I am sort of hurrying to get one before I need to rush to get one. But there seem to be around 30-40 tractors going up on donedeal per day so maybe I should take my time and wait for a beauty.

I haven't upped the budget. I would ideally like to spend €10k but would spend up to €12k if it is really worth it.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    By this stage 1990, ford had the porous problem sorted by using a special water filter which stopped corrosion. Make sure it's still on that tractor. Another + is the 6810 will have a rotary fuel pump instead of an in-line one. They are easier on fuel and much better to start. Cab won't have a completely flat floor, and as already said look out for rust.
    Best of luck.

Thanks, I find this kind of info very useful.
    I found a thread on 6810s on a lesser british website...;) Apparently the Ford 6610s were getting complaints as they were leaving the factory underpowered and the manufacturers were struggling to tune the pumps to rectify the problem. So what they did was relaunch the 6610 as a 6410 and derate the 7610 to fill the gap between itself and the 6410. They called this model the 6810.

I might go and see the 6810 tomorrow and check out the potential issues mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is it me or the price of 20-30 year old tractor Are f""kin mad

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is it me or the price of 20-30 year old tractor Are f""kin mad

Tractors are funny things. Unlike cars, they are built to last forever. As long as you look after them properly, they will. It's not unusual for a 20-30 y.o to work like a dream around the farm. Hence the high value.

Another reason for the high costs is that they don't really make 2 wheel drive tractors any more as most farmers want the pull power of a 4 wheel drive. Hence, 2WDs are in high demand for a number of reasons (lower turn radius, cheaper tyres and less things to go wrong)

That's why I started this thread; it's tough to pay so much for something that could have a very interesting/disturbing past! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Thanks Bullocks, tomwaterford, tea addict and White Clover for the advice and suggestions.

I saw a nice Ford 7610 on donedeal. It was just put up today. 1989, 6000hrs.
    Seller was a dealer on the other side of Galway but not too far. I gave him a call and he wouldn't give me a quote or tell me what work was or will be done on it before he sells. All he said was the standard "everything is perfect, no problems whatsoever" and said I would need to come and see it to get more information.

I went to see a tidy 8145 zetor for 10k a while back.
    dealer said more or less "everything is perfect, no problems whatsoever" brakes done new hydraulic pump. been thru the workshop
    on inspection,
    clutch slipping,
    power steering not right(no oil to start with, then it never came right with oil and blew it out in the yard)
    thermostat was removed,
    suspected something wasnt right inside the front axel,
    bottom of mudguards rotton and bonnet starting to rot.
    front of mudguard had been replaced by a folded plate welded to the cab
    windscreen cracked in 2 and scratched from bad wiper blade,
    Half the lights and indicators not working
    Nearly everything in the cab was seized, hand throttle , multipower lever, pto lever, 4wd cable etc. Rough loader

Not impressed. The funny thing is its sold now so someone believed him or he fixed the things in my list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

9935452 wrote: »

Not impressed. The funny thing is its sold now so someone believed him or he fixed the things in my list

Someone just chanced it i would imagine. If the dealer fixed all those things he'd never sell the tractor at a profit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

cjpm wrote: »
    Someone just chanced it i would imagine. If the dealer fixed all those things he'd never sell the tractor at a profit

Quite likely . i think my problem with it is he was asking a premium for a tractor that looked tidy and was rough. Realistically in my mind worth 5 or 6.
    In comparison 2 years back a friend bought a 10145 off him for 7, another tidy tractor nearly new tyres good tanco loader which coincidently got parked up fairly soon after with injector trouble.
    I think i should stop looking at tractors in his yard .

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭trabpc

Ive a late 91 ford 6810. Great tractor. Got her 4 yrs ago. Very clean. Paid12k. 9k hours on it.no rust which is unusual for the Super q cab. 4wd and much easier to start than older 6610. Im told i can turn pump up same as 7610 to 103hp but the 92hp i have is just fine. Not hard on diesel either. Digital dash can give a litte botger but easily sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Even the engine in the series 3 Fords can and do go porous. Impossible to get heads for these fords. Even with the water filter it is an issue. If you have a good one let the water out and refill her with undiluted coolant and never again put water in her. One thing about Ford tractors a lot were virtual contractor tractors for the start of there lives in the 90's.

With what you are doing OP any good 70HP+ tractor will last you for a few decades.More than likely any tractor you buy will have a few flaws and over the first 2-3 years you will have to put a bit of money into it. Unless you need 4WD i be sticking with a 2WD tractor. It will be easier to come across a clean and they are cheaper to run. dare I say a 2WD MF 390 can now be got for 10K. Fairy easy to come across ones with less than 6K hours. Biggest fault with any tractor 20+ years old is starting them I be putting a hi-speed starter in them if I bought one.

Here is a tractor if she is straight and kept in a shed will last 30 more years.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-690/11953022

She should be well within budget. Put an electric fuel pump in her and a hi-speed starter and she will run forever if you service her once a year.

However if you could increase your budget to 15K and above you open up a huge variety of 2WD tractors and some very new one. Often these have very low hours and dealers will often give very good warranty's not the usual 300 hours or 3 months. I know a lad that got a 12 months warranty or 300 hours on such a tractor as he explained to the dealer he hardly did 200/year. Some thing like the case or New Holland below

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-cx-70/11798241
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1996-new-holland-5635-only-3400-hours/12075339

You would even pick up a 4WD with a loader
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1996-new-holland-5030-c-w-loader-15995/11270742

and you would have a good pick of 00 and newer zetors.

Slava Ukrainii

Hello,
    I don't plan on sharing my experience with every tractor I view but I just thought I would give an update on the 6810. I took a half day today, viewed the 6810 and went window shopping around a few different dealers.
    The seller was up front in telling me before I viewed that a few small things needed to be fixed. He assured me however that there was no rust on the cabin and also that it was a ribbed engine block and there was no current or potential porous issue.
    When I viewed the tractor, it wasn't as clean as I was expecting but maybe it was as good as you can get.
    (I don't seem to be able to post images yet) :( . Is there any way I can show images without getting banned?

Firstly, I took it for a test drive on the road and it did feel nice to drive. The engine had a good uniform sound, there was no excessive smoking and it didn't conk at low revs.
    Ah, the joys of a 2WD, I was easily able to lock the wheels and pull a tight U turn on on the main road.
    The cab was a bit of a let down (AP cab with floor change). There was in fact rust all around at the seams, if you looked closely. The seller had a job letting down the pick up hitch as the handle had broken off. It was difficult to pull the handle to raise and drop the arms. The spool valves were leaking oil but I was assured that they would be replaced. The latch on one of the doors and latch on back window was faulty but seller said he could fix. The back wheels had cracks all over (in the threads not on the walls). All the blue paint that White Clover mentioned would truly knock the eye out of your head.
    It was a Series 2 Ford. I got images of the engine but can't tell if its the ribbed block model. It did not appear to have the water filter that blue5000 mentioned but the seller assured me that he put a gallon of antifreeze in with some water.

Would I be mad if said I still want the tractor considering all these issues? Or should I turn on my heels and find a cleaner tractor like the Massey that Bass Reeves mentioned?

I had a look at it, series II didn't have a 6810 in their lineup. That tractor might be something older, 5610 or 6610 with 6810 decals. Did it have a turbo?

The seller claims its a 4 cylinder turbo on the ad. I couldn't tell when I saw it but I did take pictures of some of the codes on the block

He showed me a tax slip and it was registered as 1990. Maybe it wasn't a 6810. He had a brand new ford sticker on it with 6810, which means nothing really...

I have never seen a 2wd 6810 with the AP cab, that's not saying they don't exist, but they are rare. It's possible that the nose cone, with the series II sticker, is a replacement from an earlier tractor. Does the engine number match the tax slip? The engine number is on the right hand side below the injector pump. I've a 6410 engine from 1989 and it starts E2009** 6 digits, I'm not putting up the last two digits here.
    It should have the XX ribbed block. No water filter, is not good. Either it's an older engine, or somebody took it off. It should also have a turbo. Turbo series III ford engines have heavier components inside to take the extra HP.
    I wouldn't be too worried about leaks on the connectors, they all did that anyway.

It has a few 'issues'. It probably is a good tractor, it will probably do all the jobs you want it to do. I couldn't see on the pics, but it should also have an assistor ram on the left lift arm.

Bass if a contractor had an early 90's 2wd tractor it was probably only spraying or spreading fertiliser, most likely this was on a stock farm with a front loader. Sorry for the long post and I'm not trying to put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Blue has covered nearly all there with that post but the telling thing about all responses about the 6810 you're interested in is that many feel "it will do" is that really good enough for an 11k 2wd tractor? I'd bet a db995, mf165 or ford 4000 would do just fine for you aswell but cost a fraction of that 11k and they wouldn't be far off in comfort levels either given that it's an AP cab model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Op I think the seller is asking the price of a mint genuine low houred 6810 for what is a painted up rough tractor that may not even be a 6810.

Selectamatic makes a good point there when he says a good tractor can be got for half of the 11K.

Since you have a zetor and are familiar with them, I would recommend a 7211 again. A good one could be got for 5500 or less. There only weakness is the brakes, however if they're used regularly, you will get 10 years out of a brake rebuild.

I have never seen a 2wd 6810 with the AP cab, that's not saying they don't exist, but they are rare. It's possible that the nose cone, with the series II sticker, is a replacement from an earlier tractor. Does the engine number match the tax slip? The engine number is on the right hand side below the injector pump. I've a 6410 engine from 1989 and it starts E2009** 6 digits, I'm not putting up the last two digits here.
    It should have the XX ribbed block. No water filter, is not good. Either it's an older engine, or somebody took it off. It should also have a turbo. Turbo series III ford engines have heavier components inside to take the extra HP.
    I wouldn't be too worried about leaks on the connectors, they all did that anyway.

It has a few 'issues'. It probably is a good tractor, it will probably do all the jobs you want it to do. I couldn't see on the pics, but it should also have an assistor ram on the left lift arm.

Bass if a contractor had an early 90's 2wd tractor it was probably only spraying or spreading fertiliser, most likely this was on a stock farm with a front loader. Sorry for the long post and I'm not trying to put you off.

I looked back over the pictures there and the code is: E6NN9425XX (last 2 left out). I didn't get a picture of the tax slip so I can't see if it matches.
    It is in fact the XX ribbed block now that I see the pictures again.
    I can see that it has the mount with bolt holes for the water filter but the filter itself is not there. Must have been taken off. At €11k, I'm getting cold feet on this one.
    Blue has covered nearly all there with that post but the telling thing about all responses about the 6810 you're interested in is that many feel "it will do" is that really good enough for an 11k 2wd tractor? I'd bet a db995, mf165 or ford 4000 would do just fine for you aswell but cost a fraction of that 11k and they wouldn't be far off in comfort levels either given that it's an AP cab model.

Very true. I am keeping an open mind on all other makes and models.
    Op I think the seller is asking the price of a mint genuine low houred 6810 for what is a painted up rough tractor that may not even be a 6810.

Selectamatic makes a good point there when he says a good tractor can be got for half of the 11K.

Since you have a zetor and are familiar with them, I would recommend a 7211 again. A good one could be got for 5500 or less. There only weakness is the brakes, however if they're used regularly, you will get 10 years out of a brake rebuild.

I had a feeling that I would end right back with the Zetors. On visiting 3-4 dealers they all agree that 2WDs are hard to come by these days and they are coming with a hefty price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Zetor 7711 2wd here. Mayo, around 75hp so well adequate for what you want. looks like off farm condition, work away as is or spend a few bob tidying it up if you feel like it. ???

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1989-zetor-7711/12048330

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Zetor 7711 2wd here. Mayo, around 75hp so well adequate for what you want. looks like off farm condition, work away as is or spend a few bob tidying it up if you feel like it. ???

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1989-zetor-7711/12048330

If the brakes on that were decent it would probably cover everything I need without making a dent on my budget. A lick of paint and she would look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭trabpc

I had a look at it, series II didn't have a 6810 in their lineup. That tractor might be something older, 5610 or 6610 with 6810 decals. Did it have a turbo?

As blue5000 said 6810 only available in series 3. So sounds like an older model with new stickers. Maybe engine changed at some stage. Look for water filter and check for de compression button. Button was on series 2 not on series 3 with new rotary pump.

I looked back over the pictures there and the code is: E6NN9425XX (last 2 left out). I didn't get a picture of the tax slip so I can't see if it matches.
    It is in fact the XX ribbed block now that I see the pictures again.
    I can see that it has the mount with bolt holes for the water filter but the filter itself is not there. Must have been taken off. At €11k, I'm getting cold feet on this one.

Very true. I am keeping an open mind on all other makes and models.

I had a feeling that I would end right back with the Zetors. On visiting 3-4 dealers they all agree that 2WDs are hard to come by these days and they are coming with a hefty price tag.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-6810-series-3/11986665

Have a look at this, even has a Galway reg ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

That increases it's worth substantially!!

Right, just to give an update on my endeavor to find a suitable 2 wheel drive tractor:
    I spent ~6 hrs on the road yesterday going to 4 different dealers. I saw some good and some bad and some very bad tractors. I came out the other end with 4 interesting candidates that I would like some advice on. (I listed them below with some detailed info underneath, which is optional - not necessary to read if you don't feel like it! :))

1) MF 390 (1993, I think) 5500 hours (€?????)
    This was the cleanest tractor I've seen yet, a real beauty. There was some straw in the cabin and a slight twang of slurry so I can only assume it was used for something related to these two. Sadly though I didn't get a chance to drive it as the dealer was busy in the shop and I needed to get to another dealer before lunch. I will give them a call on Tuesday for a quote.
    I was speaking to another (apparent) private seller of a 1997 MF 390 (4800hrs) who was looking for a low low price of €18,000 - €20,000 for his.............

2) Ford 7610 (1988) 7200 hours (Dealer looking for €10,000)
    This was a series 2 with a non-ribbed engine block. It had a Q cab. This was the first ford I drove with a Q cab and I have to say, it was immensely more comfortable than the AP cab just as quietsailor mentioned. I can't tell why, it just was. I think it might be the combination of the flat floor, lack of things between your legs (gear sticks etc. not the other 'things' ;)) and also the distance from the seat to the pedals.
    What I liked about this dealer is that he had no interest in the cosmetics of the tractors, so all the tractor's battle scars were in full view displaying it's history. Apart from some fairly bad rust on the doors and a missing back window, the tractor looked great. It started no problem, had a good sound and no excessive smoking. When I was driving it around the yard, a local "unbiased, independant, neutral" observer spoke to me, giving me the elbow and the wink telling me what a good tractor it was, which kind of put me off. He also took one look at the side and said "there's no blow back, great condition".
    How does one check for blow back? Do you just check to see if there is oil seeping from the cap or dipstick?
    I questioned the dealer on the porous block issue and he said that an old local used the tractor as a car and that the dealer serviced it himself and only put antifreeze in, never a drop of water, which is reassuring. He said he himself never came across the issue.
    Bass Reeves, can the engine go porous even if antifreeze alone is used?

3) Zetor 4320 1995 (estimated 2500 hours) (€11,000)
    This was a very nice tractor. It was used in an old prison in Dublin before it closed down, so the hours are low and the tractor was kept inside for most of its life. The dealer (same as the ford) seemed reluctant to sell this one to me, probably because he said there was a man coming all the way in from the Aran Islands to look at it. So it's probably a shoe-in sale for him.

4) Zetor 6211 1991 (6000hrs) €8500
    This one was fine. It was a bit rusty inside and out and a bit jumpy to drive. The dealer (same as ford and zetor above) was keen on selling me this one. It would probably do the job for me but I wouldn't be too excited to hand over 8.5k for it.

There were 2 MF 265s that didn't make the cut. One of them was very nice to drive but it was a 1985 and the dealer was looking for €9000. It probably wouldn't handle bales very well.

Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Once I get one nailed down (be it on the list above or not), I would like to get some advice on haggling etiquette i.e. how much below the asking price is reasonable to ask for. I am quite the haggler so don't hold back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Right, just to give an update on my endeavor to find a suitable 2 wheel drive tractor:
    I spent ~6 hrs on the road yesterday going to 4 different dealers. I saw some good and some bad and some very bad tractors. I came out the other end with 4 interesting candidates that I would like some advice on. (I listed them below with some detailed info underneath, which is optional - not necessary to read if you don't feel like it! :))

1) MF 390 (1993, I think) 5500 hours (€?????)
    This was the cleanest tractor I've seen yet, a real beauty. There was some straw in the cabin and a slight twang of slurry so I can only assume it was used for something related to these two. Sadly though I didn't get a chance to drive it as the dealer was busy in the shop and I needed to get to another dealer before lunch. I will give them a call on Tuesday for a quote.
    I was speaking to another (apparent) private seller of a 1997 MF 390 (4800hrs) who was looking for a low low price of €18,000 - €20,000 for his.............

2) Ford 7610 (1988) 7200 hours (Dealer looking for €10,000)
    This was a series 2 with a non-ribbed engine block. It had a Q cab. This was the first ford I drove with a Q cab and I have to say, it was immensely more comfortable than the AP cab just as quietsailor mentioned. I can't tell why, it just was. I think it might be the combination of the flat floor, lack of things between your legs (gear sticks etc. not the other 'things' ;)) and also the distance from the seat to the pedals.
    What I liked about this dealer is that he had no interest in the cosmetics of the tractors, so all the tractor's battle scars were in full view displaying it's history. Apart from some fairly bad rust on the doors and a missing back window, the tractor looked great. It started no problem, had a good sound and no excessive smoking. When I was driving it around the yard, a local "unbiased, independant, neutral" observer spoke to me, giving me the elbow and the wink telling me what a good tractor it was, which kind of put me off. He also took one look at the side and said "there's no blow back, great condition".
    How does one check for blow back? Do you just check to see if there is oil seeping from the cap or dipstick?
    I questioned the dealer on the porous block issue and he said that an old local used the tractor as a car and that the dealer serviced it himself and only put antifreeze in, never a drop of water, which is reassuring. He said he himself never came across the issue.
    Bass Reeves, can the engine go porous even if antifreeze alone is used?

3) Zetor 4320 1995 (estimated 2500 hours) (€11,000)
    This was a very nice tractor. It was used in an old prison in Dublin before it closed down, so the hours are low and the tractor was kept inside for most of its life. The dealer (same as the ford) seemed reluctant to sell this one to me, probably because he said there was a man coming all the way in from the Aran Islands to look at it. So it's probably a shoe-in sale for him.

4) Zetor 6211 1991 (6000hrs) €8500
    This one was fine. It was a bit rusty inside and out and a bit jumpy to drive. The dealer (same as ford and zetor above) was keen on selling me this one. It would probably do the job for me but I wouldn't be too excited to hand over 8.5k for it.

There were 2 MF 265s that didn't make the cut. One of them was very nice to drive but it was a 1985 and the dealer was looking for €9000. It probably wouldn't handle bales very well.

Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Once I get one nailed down (be it on the list above or not), I would like to get some advice on haggling etiquette i.e. how much below the asking price is reasonable to ask for. I am quite the haggler so don't hold back.

id go with the 390 all the time. Solid reliable tractor. Excellent engine, easily fixed. the ones you mention seem spotless with low hours. they will always have a high value as are much sought after. 18-20k for a 2wd 1997 is nuts though. id say something if it was 4wd

• Advertisement

f140 wrote: »
    id go with the 390 all the time. Solid reliable tractor. Excellent engine, easily fixed. the ones you mention seem spotless with low hours. they will always have a high value as are much sought after. 18-20k for a 2wd 1997 is nuts though. id say something if it was 4wd

I'm eager to get a quote for that 390. I would probably pay up to €12k if a mechanic gave me the go ahead. Anything over €12k though and I am out.

Advertisement