Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used Tractor Purchasing Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭howdee

How much is a new 70hp kubota or similar make? The price of these tractors are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johal

check your per message

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Got these out of profi.
    Deutz (round 75hp) 48402 POUNDS
    John deere 5080g (80hp) 47903 sterling
    Kubota 36600 sterling

And they look to be decent tractors with good hydraulic output etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

It's just emission legislation that is driving the whole thing mad, everything in them needed to comply is all costly stuff

yes theres no machine now which can be bought new similar to a mf 390 or fiat 110-90. everthing is electronic from the main brands.

f140 wrote:
    yes theres no machine now which can be bought new similar to a mf 390 or fiat 110-90. everthing is electronic from the main brands.

Most main brands now do what's called a global tractor. One tractor for lots of countries in the world. This cuts cost and they are really basic. Mf and jd do a few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

Most main brands now do what's called a global tractor. One tractor for lots of countries in the world. This cuts cost and they are really basic. Mf and jd do a few

This is the latest MF offering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsgWxmrNhDA
    They're saying it's the new 390, wouldn't mind one my self:)

As for secondhand prices, would part of that be the cost of new machines? People unwilling to pay that much so they go looking for a sh model, thereby pushing up prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

There's a lovely looking 4wd Massey 398 for sale in Donegal on Donedeal. Asking 14K. Could be bought for a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

Id say the 390 is out of your budget straight away so stop teasing yourself with it!😀it would be my pick of those but even a rough one is 13 to 15k and thats with high hours!
    We upgraded our tractor 2years ago. We had a 6211 for the previous 15 years or so. Now your not spoiled for power but it did fairly much everything we asked of it. Anything that went wrong on it was very straight forward and parts are dirt cheap!
    Yes brakes do need attention on them but they are a great stockmans tractor on a medium sized farm!
    Youl pick 1 up for about €5k. Do you have implements for it?use some of the money you saved to buy them,or more importantly,stock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Id say the 390 is out of your budget straight away so stop teasing yourself with it!😀it would be my pick of those but even a rough one is 13 to 15k and thats with high hours!
    We upgraded our tractor 2years ago. We had a 6211 for the previous 15 years or so. Now your not spoiled for power but it did fairly much everything we asked of it. Anything that went wrong on it was very straight forward and parts are dirt cheap!
    Yes brakes do need attention on them but they are a great stockmans tractor on a medium sized farm!
    Youl pick 1 up for about €5k. Do you have implements for it?use some of the money you saved to buy them,or more importantly,stock!!

I would not agree about the 390. 2WD 390's can be bought for op budget here is what seems a nice one
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-390/12160578

BFA the dealer with the 7610 is bullsh!tting you if he never heard about the pouros blocks on the 10 series fords. Would be supprised if there was only coolant/antifreeze in it most dilute it.

The 4320 might be a good bet but she is only 60HP compared to over 70hp on the 390 and 95 on 7610. Not sure if I would bother with the 7610 as i posted previously a lot of these were contractor tractors at the start of there life. I have a 6610 4WD myself that came in from the UK. I had to get the block done on it.

A 2WD floor change 390 from the early 90's from a dealer with a warranty should be well within budget. The lad with the 97 one if it is 2wd is away with the faries. I know she would have a shuttle but even a 4WD private sale one of that vintage should be got for 15K off farm and it would want to be straight at that. Below is a 4245 in NI it is more than likely +VAT but it is not much outside your budget

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-4245/12189789

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

f140 wrote: »
    id go with the 390 all the time. Solid reliable tractor. Excellent engine, easily fixed. the ones you mention seem spotless with low hours. they will always have a high value as are much sought after. 18-20k for a 2wd 1997 is nuts though. id say something if it was 4wd
    There's a lovely looking 4wd Massey 398 for sale in Donegal on Donedeal. Asking 14K. Could be bought for a bit less.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, lads.

Joeyboy you were spot on. The seller of the 93 MF 390 is looking for €13,000.
    I have all the implements I need (except the small piece of equipment that drives them!!)
    I would not agree about the 390. 2WD 390's can be bought for op budget here is what seems a nice one
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-390/12160578

BFA the dealer with the 7610 is bullsh!tting you if he never heard about the pouros blocks on the 10 series fords. Would be supprised if there was only coolant/antifreeze in it most dilute it.

The 4320 might be a good bet but she is only 60HP compared to over 70hp on the 390 and 95 on 7610. Not sure if I would bother with the 7610 as i posted previously a lot of these were contractor tractors at the start of there life. I have a 6610 4WD myself that came in from the UK. I had to get the block done on it.

A 2WD floor change 390 from the early 90's from a dealer with a warranty should be well within budget. The lad with the 97 one if it is 2wd is away with the faries. I know she would have a shuttle but even a 4WD private sale one of that vintage should be got for 15K off farm and it would want to be straight at that. Below is a 4245 in NI it is more than likely +VAT but it is not much outside your budget

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-4245/12189789

I think you are right about the 7610, even if the block is good, I think it would haunt me to no end.

I've heard that the 390s were once the most sold 2nd hand tractors in ireland at one point. However, is there anything I need to look out for with them?

Would it be reasonable enough to haggle the dealer down to €11k - 11.5k and get him to throw in a guarantee?

• Advertisement

Wait til you hear this. Another MF 390 went up online, a 1992, 6500hrs. It had parts replaced that the dealer wouldn't specify on and the back window is missing. He's looking for €14,000!!!

If I was a cynic, (which I am) I would say all the dealers are talking to each other. There is absolutely no competition between these dealers at all. At least not in 2nd hand 2WD tractors anyway.

Someone mentioned above that a lot our tractors were exported in the last 5-6 years. Some of the dealers I spoke to hinted at this as well. I think we are in a 2WD tractor crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Wait til you hear this. Another MF 390 went up online, a 1992, 6500hrs. It had parts replaced that the dealer wouldn't specify on and the back window is missing. He's looking for €14,000!!!

If I was a cynic, (which I am) I would say all the dealers are talking to each other. There is absolutely no competition between these dealers at all. At least not in 2nd hand 2WD tractors anyway.

Someone mentioned above that a lot our tractors were exported in the last 5-6 years. Some of the dealers I spoke to hinted at this as well. I think we are in a 2WD tractor crisis.

Barmy money for 25 to 40 year old tractors.. If sterling were to blow a hole in its inflated Arse are there many such machines on the market across the water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Barmy money for 25 to 40 year old tractors.. If sterling were to blow a hole in its inflated Arse are there many such machines on the market across the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I've hinted at it before but just to reiterate a 5 figure sum for a 25+ year old 2wd machine is madness. A db995, ford 4000 or mf165 etc will easily do all the required jobs of an average livestock farm in Ireland and prices start from 1.5-5k. Granted if you want a comfy cab 90's machines are a big step up but apart from that the differences are negligible.
    However my biggest bit of advice to you is to forget about "dealers" I say this to nearly everyone I know, be it used cars, vans or tractors once you get below a certain price range the security of a dealer isn't worth the extra outlay. I would hazard a guess that the "warranty" offered by most Irish tractor dealers on a 25+ year old tractor isn't worth the paper it's written on when you consider the extra 4-5k they seem to be loading onto the price of used tractors.

Willfarman wrote: »

I'm beginning to think that may not be such a bad idea. The logistics itself of getting it over here is enough to give you a headache though. But if it means saving up to €5000 then why the fk not.
    I've hinted at it before but just to reiterate a 5 figure sum for a 25+ year old 2wd machine is madness. A db995, ford 4000 or mf165 etc will easily do all the required jobs of an average livestock farm in Ireland and prices start from 1.5-5k. Granted if you want a comfy cab 90's machines are a big step up but apart from that the differences are negligible.
    However my biggest bit of advice to you is to forget about "dealers" I say this to nearly everyone I know, be it used cars, vans or tractors once you get below a certain price range the security of a dealer isn't worth the extra outlay. I would hazard a guess that the "warranty" offered by most Irish tractor dealers on a 25+ year old tractor isn't worth the paper it's written on when you consider the extra 4-5k they seem to be loading onto the price of used tractors.

I am definitely losing respect for the chancers. That is a very good point on the warrantys.

I think I should take a leaf out of you, Bass Reeves, White clovers' and a few others book and get a nice tractor off a private seller.

Well lads,

I take back what I said about the dealers (a little bit). I was looking into the consumer protection you get when buying a 2nd hand tractor. If you buy privately you get little or no protection if something fails or if there was an underlying problem that you didn't identify before purchase. Whereas dealers, by law, are required to ensure that the tractor they sell you is both road worthy and fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. If anything goes that is not your fault, you can hold them accountable.
    It is important that this protection is not mixed up with warranties. Warranties (a scam in a way, in my opinion), are simply a thing to strengthen the dealer's sales pitch. If anything they are dangerous to the buyer because it misleads them into thinking that if anything fails outside the agreed warranty then they are not entitled to a form of compensation.
    This would explain the extra few thousand that dealers add on. Not only is it just for profit, but it's also security in case something fails after sale.

Now. It's time to bite the bullet, this has been dragging on too long and the summer is here. There are 2 Massey Fergusson 390s available for me to purchase. I am going to buy one of them. I need opinions on which one to go for:

Massey Fergusson 1
    Dealer
    1992, 5500 hrs. 3 gear sticks on floor (12x4). A man who owned it from new traded in for a new tractor. I saw this tractor in person and it looks a real beauty.
    Quote: €13,000

Massey Fergusson 2
    Private seller
    1992, 5764hrs, (12x4). New clutch 300hrs ago. This farmer owned the tractor for the last 14 years but is selling since they got a new tractor (apparently). It looks good in the pictures (then again, most do)
    Quote: €13,500 (I gave him a hard time over this quote so he came clean and he said he won't drop any more than 2k...)

I will go and view both at the weekend but I would like to hear peoples suggestions. Do I go safe and expensive or slightly less expensive with risk?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Well lads,

I take back what I said about the dealers (a little bit). I was looking into the consumer protection you get when buying a 2nd hand tractor. If you buy privately you get little or no protection if something fails or if there was an underlying problem that you didn't identify before purchase. Whereas dealers, by law, are required to ensure that the tractor they sell you is both road worthy and fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. If anything goes that is not your fault, you can hold them accountable.
    It is important that this protection is not mixed up with warranties. Warranties (a scam in a way, in my opinion), are simply a thing to strengthen the dealer's sales pitch. If anything they are dangerous to the buyer because it misleads them into thinking that if anything fails outside the agreed warranty then they are not entitled to a form of compensation.
    This would explain the extra few thousand that dealers add on. Not only is it just for profit, but it's also security in case something fails after sale.

Now. It's time to bite the bullet, this has been dragging on too long and the summer is here. There are 2 Massey Fergusson 390s available for me to purchase. I am going to buy one of them. I need opinions on which one to go for:

Massey Fergusson 1
    Dealer
    1992, 5500 hrs. 3 gear sticks on floor (12x4). A man who owned it from new traded in for a new tractor. I saw this tractor in person and it looks a real beauty.
    Quote: €13,000

Massey Fergusson 2
    Private seller
    1992, 5764hrs, (12x4). New clutch 300hrs ago. This farmer owned the tractor for the last 14 years but is selling since they got a new tractor (apparently). It looks good in the pictures (then again, most do)
    Quote: €13,500 (I gave him a hard time over this quote so he came clean and he said he won't drop any more than 2k...)

I will go and view both at the weekend but I would like to hear peoples suggestions. Do I go safe and expensive or slightly less expensive with risk?

Thanks.

If twos me I'd try buy the one off the dealer...get him to put in a clutch (give him cost price for the clutch if necessary)

And go through it from top to bottom check for leaks espially

If twos me I'd try buy the one off the dealer...get him to put in a clutch (give him cost price for the clutch if necessary)

And go through it from top to bottom check for leaks espially

Thanks for the tip Tom. Is the clutch something that generally needs replacing after 5000hrs? Are they costly to replace?

Just a quick question. I was comparing the specs of a MF 390 to a Zetor 6211. The zetor is rated to lift ~0.5 ton more than the 390. The Zetor is also slightly heavier.
    Would the 390 have any issue lifting round bales? Our Zetor sometimes struggled with bales and the front regularly lifted for some of the heavier ones.

Thanks for the tip Tom. Is the clutch something that generally needs replacing after 5000hrs? Are they costly to replace?

Just a quick question. I was comparing the specs of a MF 390 to a Zetor 6211. The zetor is rated to lift ~0.5 ton more than the 390. The Zetor is also slightly heavier.
    Would the 390 have any issue lifting round bales? Our Zetor sometimes struggled with bales and the front regularly lifted for some of the heavier ones.

It's a dry clutch....there cheap enough to do parts wise through the trade (even if not a Massey dealer) afaik

Not a huge fan of masseys...but if your going doing any heavier type work like mowing etc I'd go for the zetor/which ever backend is heavier
    (Just personal choice)

It's a dry clutch....there cheap enough to do parts wise through the trade (even if not a Massey dealer) afaik

Not a huge fan of masseys...but if your going doing any heavier type work like mowing etc I'd go for the zetor/which ever backend is heavier
    (Just personal choice)

I see.

I'll tell you what work I will be mainly doing:
    Bale handling, topping and rolling fields, fertiliser spreading, bringing turf in off the bog, pulling and reversing trailers of turf up and down steep hills. I was also thinking of getting a log splitter to attach to the back cause we have a shed load of logs to get through.

Do you think the 390 would be up to these tasks? Or would you stick to the Zetor. I worry about the dry brakes on the Zetor.

• Advertisement

I see.

I'll tell you what work I will be mainly doing:
    Bale handling, topping and rolling fields, fertiliser spreading, bringing turf in off the bog, pulling and reversing trailers of turf up and down steep hills. I was also thinking of getting a log splitter to attach to the back cause we have a shed load of logs to get through.

Do you think the 390 would be up to these tasks? Or would you stick to the Zetor. I worry about the dry brakes on the Zetor.
    390 should eat that....it would be no bother to it IMO

Look after it if ya buy it as for some irrational reason they hold value exceptionally well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

390 well up to the tasks you have mentioned and a superior tractor to the Zetor being almost 20 hp more than the 6211. It also has a longer wheelbase which means better stability under load, better brakes, easier cab access, better visibility especially out the rear. Heaviest round bales 800 /900 kg, Have a 390T here, basically a 390 with uprated engine and never any issue with round bales.

Looking at the 390 tractors you mentioned, clutch does go around 5 - 6 k hours, I know it did on ours circa 6k. cab remember the repair cost, i think €900 for parts and €300 labour to do it? Does the second one have a shuttle gearbox, these are more desirable. If it does, given the cheaper price and assuming the dealer wont cover a clutch for you, i'd go with the second one.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    390 well up to the tasks you have mentioned and a superior tractor to the Zetor being almost 20 hp more than the 6211. It also has a longer wheelbase which means better stability under load, better brakes, easier cab access, better visibility especially out the rear. Heaviest round bales 800 /900 kg, Have a 390T here, basically a 390 with uprated engine and never any issue with round bales.

Looking at the 390 tractors you mentioned, clutch does go around 5 - 6 k hours, I know it did on ours circa 6k. cab remember the repair cost, i think €900 for parts and €300 labour to do it? Does the second one have a shuttle gearbox, these are more desirable. If it does, given the cheaper price and assuming the dealer wont cover a clutch for you, i'd go with the second one.

Thanks Jimmy, that's reassuring info. They are both the same tractor, they both have 3 gear sticks on the floor. I assume this means it's not a shuttle?
    The farmer who owns the second one is either unfamiliar with tractors or is playing dumb. He had 88Hp down for his 390 and when I asked if it was a 390T he said he honestly didn't know. Now he did say he regularly got it serviced at a Massey dealer. Do you think he would have some sort of proof of service history? If so, that one may be a better option.

Right, so I'm looking at ~€1200 for a new clutch straight away on the first massey if the dealer won't play nice. I'd have to try and haggle him down to take the edge off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Thanks Jimmy, that's reassuring info. They are both the same tractor, they both have 3 gear sticks on the floor. I assume this means it's not a shuttle?
    The farmer who owns the second one is either unfamiliar with tractors or is playing dumb. He had 88Hp down for his 390 and when I asked if it was a 390T he said he honestly didn't know. Now he did say he regularly got it serviced at a Massey dealer. Do you think he would have some sort of proof of service history? If so, that one may be a better option.

Right, so I'm looking at ~€1200 for a new clutch straight away on the first massey if the dealer won't play nice. I'd have to try and haggle him down to take the edge off that.

You could be better off with the 3 sticks over the shuttle.
    My memory is a bit vague but doesnt the 300 series have a gearbox which suffers from a broken spring which gets the tractor locked into the low box and costs a grand in labour to replace. AFAIK the 3 stick gearbox wasnt the one.

Also check the engine for a blow from the breather pipe and oil filler cap.
    AFAIK the perkins 248 had one less rings on the pistons which resulted in quicker wear on them and ended up with a blow.
    Ive seen a good few masseys for sale with recon engines at around 8k hours

warfie35 wrote:
    Looking for advice ere too lads re buying 100- 120 HP tractor....going looking at jd 6320 & 30 series at wk end any advice pls......some telling me stay clear of premium 30 series

Mf 5465

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

A big consideration with two tractors this closely priced has to be the tyre condition. Wear, size and things like cracks/bulges need to be checked. The cost of a replacement set of shoes could be pushing €2k if not in good condition.

9935452 wrote: »
    You could be better off with the 3 sticks over the shuttle.
    My memory is a bit vague but doesnt the 300 series have a gearbox which suffers from a broken spring which gets the tractor locked into the low box and costs a grand in labour to replace. AFAIK the 3 stick gearbox wasnt the one.

Also check the engine for a blow from the breather pipe and oil filler cap.
    AFAIK the perkins 248 had one less rings on the pistons which resulted in quicker wear on them and ended up with a blow.
    Ive seen a good few masseys for sale with recon engines at around 8k hours

I would take the shuttle even if I had to pay the 1K to fix it. However I think that nowadays that this fix on the shuttle costs 4-600 euro as lads are well used to it. years ago onlty garages were willing to split tractors nowadays a lot of good independent mechanics will split a tractor for you. 1200 for a clutch sounds outragous. TBH I bargain with the dealer for the cheapest price possible, get a six month or 300 hour warranty, explain to him you are doing very little with the tractor. Then hope for the best trying to cover all eventuallities is impossible. Expect to spend 2-3K on the tractor over the next 5 years and after that you will have very little maintenance especially if you watch whoever is doing the repairing for you. Get a mechanic that will do the jobs in your yard.

Slava Ukrainii

Well lads,

After many, many hours of research, 708.3 km of road and a good chunk of my life savings gone, I have finally purchased a tractor.

I ended up going for the Massey Ferguson 390 from the private seller. He was a nice young farmer not unlike myself and his father. As soon as I gave it a test drive, I fell in love with her. She's a real beauty.

I actually bought it 3 weeks ago, I just didn't get a chance to update you due to all the jobeens I had to do outside.

I am very happy with the tractor so far and very relieved to have finally taken the plunge. I really couldn't have done it without all your helpful tips and advice. Thanks lads.

I had been looking on and off to get a tractor for myself for a few years and I never would have thought it would be so difficult. I really hope this thread helps anyone who is in the same situation as I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Well lads,

After many, many hours of research, 708.3 km of road and a good chunk of my life savings gone, I have finally purchased a tractor.

I ended up going for the Massey Ferguson 390 from the private seller. He was a nice young farmer not unlike myself and his father. As soon as I gave it a test drive, I fell in love with her. She's a real beauty.

I actually bought it 3 weeks ago, I just didn't get a chance to update you due to all the jobeens I had to do outside.

I am very happy with the tractor so far and very relieved to have finally taken the plunge. I really couldn't have done it without all your helpful tips and advice. Thanks lads.

I had been looking on and off to get a tractor for myself for a few years and I never would have thought it would be so difficult. I really hope this thread helps anyone who is in the same situation as I was.

Best of luck with it now.

• Advertisement

Well lads,

Well what age is the lady, can she move her ass (has 40K box), can she jive (has she a shuttle), has she be through the ropes(many hours on the engine), what was the dowry (what did she set you back).

Best of luck with her

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement