Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Islamic preachers release anti-extremism declaration

• 01-04-2016 4:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, if it's true, the Irish Times certainly picked the wrong day to print this titbit:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/irish-muslim-leaders-unveil-anti-extremism-declaration-1.2594312

...which follows on a similar declaration made in India at the end of last year.

It seems to be a good, solid step in the right direction, but will it make any difference? The full statement is here.
    A Muslim anti-extremism declaration, drawn up to ensure that all visiting Islamic speakers to Ireland abide by norms of peaceful and respectful discussion and teaching, was officially launched at Trinity College Dublin last night. It was also signed for the first time by visiting Muslim speaker Shaykh Fakhruddin Owaisi, chairman of the Council of Sunni Imams in Cape Town, South Africa. Both Shaykh Owaisi and Shaykh Dr Umar Al-Qadri, chairman of the Irish Muslim Peace and Integration Council (Impic) and head imam of the Al-Mustafa Islamic Centre Ireland at Blanchardstown in west Dublin, were speakers at the TCD seminar held to coincide with the launch of the declaration.

Organised by Impic and chaired by Dr Andrew Pierce of the Irish School of Ecumenics, the seminar’s theme was “Preventing radicalisation within the Muslim community”. The Belgian and Pakistani ambassadors to Ireland attended, as did diplomatic staff from France, Egypt, Turkey and Iran. The anti-extremist declaration was drawn up by Impic.

Under the heading “Anti- terrorism”, it states: “I unequivocally reject, disown and condemn all terrorism committed in the name of Islam by any militant group . . . I believe that terrorism is never a legitimate and honourable act of war, but is always a cowardly act of indiscriminate murder. I believe that the sanctity of human life overrides the sanctity of religious laws.” Under a second heading, “Anti-recruitment for terrorist organisations”, the declaration states: “I will not promote conflicts from other parts of the world in Ireland and, in particular, I will not encourage people living in Ireland to participate in any such foreign conflicts. “Specifically, I will not recruit any Muslim from Ireland to play an active role in any conflict in any other part of the world.”

On the issue of non-discrimination and equality, it reads: “I call for respect and tolerance for all humans and non-discrimination on any of the following nine grounds: racial group/ethnicity, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation (LGBT), civil status, family status, or membership of the Traveller community.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Don't see any mention of the Clonskeagh guys. Isn't their mosque the largest in Ireland? How meaningful is this declaration without Halawa & co signing up to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was the good Dr Selim available for comment? he hasn't being trying to sue anybody lately has he?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Al-Quadri is a well meaning guy.
    Its a pity he had to go all the way to South Africa to find a speaker who would back him up on this idea.

In the declaration itself, I notice he does not include the Ahmaddiya Muslims.
    [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]
    I consider Sunni, Salafi and Shia Muslims to be Muslims, and I will not declare them as “Kafir” (i.e. out of the fold of Islam).
    [/FONT]
    Does this mean they are still considered fair game even by "moderate" Sunnis signing the declaration?

Also I'm not sure that calling for "non-discrimination" on grounds of gender and sexual orientation is actually compatible with any form of Islam. But I suppose paying lip service is better than nothing.

Anyway, I wish the best of luck to Al-Quadri in his uphill struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

the more I hear of Al-Quadri the more I like the guy.

First and foremost, my family, my children, were born in Ireland. They were born Irish. They go to an Irish school, our local national school, and they play GAA. I hope, one day, they’ll be wearing the Dublin jersey in Croke Park. That is my family, and my children are part of the new Ireland. My wife and myself are introduced to the Irish culture through our children, and we are embracing it and we want to be embraced by it. from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

robindch wrote: »
    It seems to be a good, solid step in the right direction, but will it make any difference?
    Do Islamic preachers typically look for guidance from Trinity College Dublin and the Irish School of Ecumenics?

I'd frankly wonder who this initiative is really trying to influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the US ambassador was there ao we know which type is extremism is ok with Al-Quadri et al, illegal invasion, kidnap for torture all A OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

the US ambassador was there ao we know which type is extremism is ok with Al-Quadri et al, illegal invasion, kidnap for torture all A OK
    That's illegal invasion and kidnap for torture for FREEDOM, thank you.
    Polls have conclusively shown there's nothing wrong with doing anything if it's for FREEDOM. Nothing unre-electable anyways. And they were FREEDOM polls. For national security. So no you can't see them. But you can tell us where you live...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm not an expert in US history, but I don't recall Obama invading any countries or having anybody kidnapped + tortured - wasn't that the previous guy who did all these things to the condemnation of most of the civilized world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

robindch wrote: »
    I'm not an expert in US history, but I don't recall Obama invading any countries or having anybody kidnapped + tortured - wasn't that the previous guy who did all these things to the condemnation of most of the civilized world?

and Obama let them all away with it and imprisoned whistleblowers, and he continues to do hold people interned, and rather then just kidnap people to secret prisons as he continues to do http://www.thenation.com/article/cias-secret-sites-somalia/ he seems to prefer to assassinating them instead, so much better, also he invaded Syria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

well I know which Islamic preacher I'd have over for a cuppa tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

http://archive.is/YDYiM

Dublin boy ‘taught hate’ at Muslim Sunday school

GARDAI are investigating a Muslim Sunday school where a five-year-old boy was allegedly taught about Islamic extremism, hatred of Christians and murder.
    The investigation began after the boy drew an image of a gunman shooting people while shouting the phrase “Allahu Akbar” (God is great) in school. The slogan is synonymous with jihadist suicide bombers and gunmen who shout it before commencing an attack. The child also told his teacher he could not trust her because she was a Christian.
    The incident was reported to gardai last month by both the boy’s school in north Dublin and Shaykh Dr Umar Al-Qadri, an imam from Dublin who chairs the Irish Muslim Peace & Integration Council (IMPIC).
    Al-Qadri, a vocal critic of Islamic scholars who refuse to denounce extremism, said he was shocked and angered.
    “This is just one case where someone has tried to radicalise a very young child,” he said. “Imagine teaching a child this type of material. This is not just a problem for Irish society; it’s a huge issue for the Muslim community here in Ireland. We cannot exclude the possibility that this is happening around the country.
    “We cannot turn a blind eye to these cases as some of my colleagues are doing because the problem will only develop and get bigger and bigger until it’s too late. If one person brought up in this country does something terrible, it will reflect on us all.”
    Al-Qadri said Ireland’s imams and Islamic scholars are deeply concerned about what is being taught to Muslim children in private religious classes at weekends. “The problem is not in the mosques; radicalisation is happening elsewhere, out of sight, he said.
    “There is no control on what is being taught to Muslim children or who is teaching them in weekend religious schools. In many cases, these people are not qualified to teach the Koran. People don’t realise how dangerous this can be.
    “The Nazis didn’t teach the German people to kill Jewish people; the Nazis taught them to first hate the Jews.”
    Al-Qadri urged the government to establish a governing body to regulate and control what is taught to young Muslims as a matter of urgency.

IMPIC last week launched a programme aimed at tackling Islamic preachers who support extremism at a conference on radicalisation held at Trinity College Dublin. The council is asking that all visiting Muslim speakers abide by the norms of peaceful and respectful discussion and denounce extremism and religious intolerance.
    Garda declined to comment on the case as it involves a child but security sources say they are liaising with Muslim representatives. Sources at Garda HQ said there were legal difficulties in proving that what is being taught to children goes beyond religious teaching and falls within the realm of hate crime.
    The force has appointed officers to liaise with all Ireland’s 23 mosques.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement