Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation for oily, dehydrated skin

Options
  • 01-04-2016 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

So as the title says I'm looking for a foundation for oily skin that is dehydrated on my forehead and cheeks. I also have some acne so I need a foundation with good coverage but one that wont dry and go flaky..I know I'm not asking for much right?! :p I am sick of going to the likes of boots and debenhams and being given the wrong types of foundation so I thought someone here could give me a bit of advice? Any foundation I have right now goes on fine but after a few hours a lot of it melts off and what is left tends to stick into my skin..it's a nightmare. I have been told to use primer and I use smashbox but I don't really find it any use..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've got very similar skin to yours, and the only foundation I've found that lasts the day without disintegrating is Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24hr. The coverage is excellent, it doesn't break down during the day and it doesn't stick to dry patches either. The only reason I don't use it is because it breaks me out in rather sore spots. Definitely get hold of a sample though; if it works for your skin, then great.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Lancome-Teint-Idole-Ultra-24Hr-Foundation-30ml-Wear-Comfort-Re-Touch-Free-Divine-Perfection-SPF15_1250821/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Plus one on the Lancome foundation, I have quite dry sensitive skin on my forehead and around my nose with a little acne on my chin at times and I find that the lancome foundation gives me excellent coverage as i have a little redness and i don't even need concealer for my acne when i wear it. I never need more than one pump of the foundation, It does have a perfume scent when you pump it out but once its on you don't smell it at all.

I used to use the smashbox primer but i found it makes my skin dryer due to the silicone, I use Lancomes "La Base Pro Hydra Glow Primer" which is more suitable for drier skin so for oily skin they do another primer for oily skin which I can't remember the name of sorry! before foundation make sure you prep your skin, cleanse, tone and moisturize to ensure your foundation applies better. Lancome always have samples so try a few and see what works for you. I'm not sure about boots but debenhams will be able to apply the foundation in store (for free) and then give you a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MusSpo13

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I've got very similar skin to yours, and the only foundation I've found that lasts the day without disintegrating is Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24hr. The coverage is excellent, it doesn't break down during the day and it doesn't stick to dry patches either. The only reason I don't use it is because it breaks me out in rather sore spots. Definitely get hold of a sample though; if it works for your skin, then great.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Lancome-Teint-Idole-Ultra-24Hr-Foundation-30ml-Wear-Comfort-Re-Touch-Free-Divine-Perfection-SPF15_1250821/

That's good to hear, thanks! I'll get a sample of that and give it a go. Would you wear that foundation just for day or do you wear it also at night?

SingItOut wrote: »
    Plus one on the Lancome foundation, I have quite dry sensitive skin on my forehead and around my nose with a little acne on my chin at times and I find that the lancome foundation gives me excellent coverage as i have a little redness and i don't even need concealer for my acne when i wear it. I never need more than one pump of the foundation, It does have a perfume scent when you pump it out but once its on you don't smell it at all.

I used to use the smashbox primer but i found it makes my skin dryer due to the silicone, I use Lancomes "La Base Pro Hydra Glow Primer" which is more suitable for drier skin so for oily skin they do another primer for oily skin which I can't remember the name of sorry! before foundation make sure you prep your skin, cleanse, tone and moisturize to ensure your foundation applies better. Lancome always have samples so try a few and see what works for you. I'm not sure about boots but debenhams will be able to apply the foundation in store (for free) and then give you a sample.

Ok Lancôme seems a popular choice. Yea smash box doesn't nothing for me. I've never heard of that primer I'll give that a try though. Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

MusSpo13 wrote: »
    That's good to hear, thanks! I'll get a sample of that and give it a go. Would you wear that foundation just for day or do you wear it also at night?

Well it probably depends what level of 'made up' you're comfortable with, but I would happily wear it for both if it didn't break me out. The coverage is medium-full but it doesn't look cakey like Estee Lauder Double Wear can.

It does contain SPF15 though, which might be a concern if you want to avoid flashback in photos with flash.

• Advertisement

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Well it probably depends what level of 'made up' you're comfortable with, but I would happily wear it for both if it didn't break me out. The coverage is medium-full but it doesn't look cakey like Estee Lauder Double Wear can.

It does contain SPF15 though, which might be a concern if you want to avoid flashback in photos with flash.

I do like something a little heavier for night time.
    I will give the sample a try anyway and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I got on very well with Bobbi Brown Skin foundation.

fits wrote: »
    I got on very well with Bobbi Brown Skin foundation.
    I had never considered Bobbi Brown, ill give it a try. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

I would go with good old Boots #7 Stay Perfect but applied with a damp sponge. My skin is a little dry on my cheeks and most days I only wear Monsia day moisturiser, then the Boots #7 Stay Perfect foundation and no other makeup, no shine or caking.

LinF wrote: »
    I would go with good old Boots #7 Stay Perfect but applied with a damp sponge. My skin is a little dry on my cheeks and most days I only wear Monsia day moisturiser, then the Boots #7 Stay Perfect foundation and no other makeup, no shine or caking.
    I actually have tried this one but didn't find it much good for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Have you tried the loreal infallible 24hrs matte foundation? I have dry flakey skin and I find it wears very nicely!

Have you tried the loreal infallible 24hrs matte foundation? I have dry flakey skin and I find it wears very nicely!

No I haven't actually, might give it a try. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I normally use double wear but my skin is a little dry lately and it's getting caught in my dry skin. On the hunt for new foundation and got a sample of the Lancôme teint idole 24hr today put it on at 6pm and it's still perfect now 6 hours later. Think I'll purchase as I have a boots voucher and it's looks a lot more like "my skin" than the double wear.

Covered all my redness and breakouts. Very impressed!
    Thanks girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Get some blotting paper and blot your face throughout the day to get rid of the excess oil. That should prolong the make up breaking down on the oily areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Unz88

Since I've started using a really hydrating moisturiser, I haven't had anymore issues with foundation application onto dry/flaky skin. I use Eucerin as a primer about 20 minutes prior to foundation application (I use doublewear and it glides on)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 murphy01

I would say use an exfoliator once a week to help with the flakiness. I always find my foundation goes on better the next day. Also, different foundations work differently on people's skin. For example, I bought the Armani Lumionous Silk and while it looks lovely initially, after a couple of hours, it is shiny beside my nose and forehead. I generally wouldn't have very oily skin but I did with this. Tried a couple of primers with it, helped a little but still shiny after a while. Nothing works like Estee Lauder Double Wear Light...for me.

Advertisement