Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with buying a PC

Options
  • 01-04-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

So I've been looking into buying a new pc for weeks now, I'd rather not build it myself but if it comes to it I wouldn't turn down the challenge, I found a cheap-ish pc over on dabs already pre-built, I went to various sites trying to source the parts by themselves to build it myself but couldn't come to anything cheaper, The thing that throws me off a bit, Is there is no info on the PSU, Motherboard etc.. Thoughts?

*(Can't post a link because I'm a new user, But just type in Zoostorm mana white in on dabs, It's the one for 926)*

Thanks for reading -Kraz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It'd be about €800 to build yourself.

For €950/1000 you can get a newer Skylake build, which I'd recommend. You'd have a larger SSD and know the quality of all the parts in the PC. And get whatever case tickles your fancy.

There's a template in the first sticky on the forum, could you fill it out please?

Machine in question is an i5 4460 with a 970. Its a fairly high end gaming machine, will handle almost all current games at Ultra 1080p60fps so its not a crap machine by any shout.

Building a PC is really easy OP

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kraz

Can't edit my post for some reason, But here is the template I believe you're talking about.

1. What is your budget? [€900 - 950]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)
    Gaming, Any triple A titles, The division etc,

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080 @144hz] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [14 or so

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Mayo]

Can't edit my post for some reason, But here is the template I believe you're talking about.

1. What is your budget? [€900 - 950]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)
    Gaming, Any triple A titles, The division etc,

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080 @144hz] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [14 days or so]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Mayo]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you'd rather not build it is a very good deal. You couldn't build it yourself for €800 considering it comes with a full, legit and reliable Windows 10 license. You're paying about a €50-70 euro premium at most I would say for an already built machine which is far from criminal.

It'd be about €800 to build yourself.

For €950/1000 you can get a newer Skylake build, which I'd recommend. You'd have a larger SSD and know the quality of all the parts in the PC. And get whatever case tickles your fancy.

There's a template in the first sticky on the forum, could you fill it out please?

Machine in question is an i5 4460 with a 970. Its a fairly high end gaming machine, will handle almost all current games at Ultra 1080p60fps so its not a crap machine by any shout.

Building a PC is really easy OP

I've somehow broken my thread, :p but hopefully you got the details

• Advertisement

I always forget the Windows keys, it was quickly added up anyways

i5 6500 €200
    Z170 board €80
    8gb RAM €40
    1tb HDD €50
    500w PSU €60
    240gb SSD €65
    R9 390 €350
    Case €100
    Total €945

Cheaper case will fit a Windows licence if needed. Most of the items will be a few euro cheaper than here.

I always forget the Windows keys, it was quickly added up anyways

i5 6500 €200
    Z170 board €80
    8gb RAM €40
    1tb HDD €50
    500w PSU €60
    240gb SSD €65
    R9 390 €350
    Case €100
    Total €945

Cheaper case will fit a Windows licence if needed. Most of the items will be a few euro cheaper than here.

Thanks for the reply, Seems pretty decent, Were would you recommend buying parts from?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Similar specced build will cost €880 without the licence. That's most likely a Windows 10 OEM key, but then again, it's good value.
    I'd buy it, just be wary of how loud it might be. The case doesn't look to bad, but the noise dampening of it doesn't look promising.
    The PSU might be a bit....skimpy. Watch out for when you upgrade next. Your next build might require to toss out that PSU if it's something small like a 400-500w, or depending on how many connectors it has.
    But overall, it's not a bad purchase.

It is a good buy, I wasn't stating it wasn't don't think I came off right.

The two PC's will have very similar performance, the Skylake one will have an edge in some games and is newer but they're pretty much tit for tat performance wise.

Mindfactory.do is pretty cheap to buy from, but your call if there's need in building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The PSU is an FSP, so it's decent, wattage though I'm not sure. But if it's enough to power a GTX970 it will be fine going forward, as power requirements are only going to decrease (particularly with Nvidia) - to get the GTX970's equivalent in a few years will not even need as much power, so I wouldn't worry.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies fellas, Looks like I have some thinking to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Check out 'pc part picker' no Irish version but the German links to parts I found the cheapest when building my setup. You could end up saving €200-400 when building yourself compared to some pre built machines and it is really easy to do once you get over the fear off breaking something.

Advertisement