Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifetime Community Rating - Gap In Cover

• 01-04-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all. I took out health insurance last year to beat the LCR (still not sure if worth it and if it was all a scaremongering exercise and the 'cover' I get is a scam, but anyway..) deadline. I read that you can have breaks in cover of up to 13 weeks without if affecting your ability to transfer insurer or policy and being subject to the age loading. Is it only one 13 week period that is ever allowed, or is it aggregate 13 week period in your life etc.? For example, if I have a 13 week period after end of first year with Laya (who I am with) and then took out a new policy with e,g, VHI, I assume I will not be penalised. Then after a year of this policy with VHI say I take another 13 week break from coverage and go back to Laya or get a second policy with VHI, am I penalised and deemed to have broken the coverage too much and subject to the age loading or am I still OK? Information on various websites not clear to me on this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As far as I know it's 13 weeks between policies/renewals so you could have a 13 week gap between this years and next and the same again next year with no penalty as regards ratings.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As far as I know it's 13 weeks between policies/renewals so you could have a 13 week gap between this years and next and the same again next year with no penalty as regards ratings.

Yep, I have on a few occasions taken a twelve week break between twelve month policy contracts to reduce the overall cost of my health cover. If something happens during that break that you suddenly require health cover for, you can sign up and are covered instantly. Even if you are lying on a hospital bed when you sign up!

Best to have your homework done so you know the new policy you intend to take out before your existing policy ends to allow you to sign up at a moment's notice if the need arises during this twelve week period.

Advertisement