Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this wear & tear or damage?

Options
  • 01-04-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

We're moving out of rented property soon enough and there's 2 stools at the breakfast bar in the kitchen.

They're identical to this.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/venus-faux-leather-bar-stool/391-6663.prd

From the kids putting them in and out from under the breakfast bar the leather has now partially torn and the sponge is exposed underneath. It is quite bad where one side of one of the stools where the sponge is exposed. Our landlord is selling the house and wants to inspect it before releasing our deposit. We've been renting for 3 years and they were abroad. My husbands reckons and that we replace the stools before he comes back to avoid any agro but I think that might be considered wear and tear to the furniture. The landlord has 4 young children himself and they were slightly worn when we moved in. Plus he's selling the house so probably doesn't even really care too much!

I want to do the right thing but at the same time not spend unnecessary money.

What would you do? I'm tempted to just see if he says anything at all but my husband disagrees!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I doubt "optional" furniture like barstools would be too big an issue, and like you said there was already some wear on them, so you've probably done nothing more than his kids would do if they were living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

3 years would probably be wear and tear it they were already used. Furniture is written off over 8 years in rental properties for tax purposes so this is borderline.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

highly1111 wrote: »
    Hi

We're moving out of rented property soon enough and there's 2 stools at the breakfast bar in the kitchen.

They're identical to this.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/venus-faux-leather-bar-stool/391-6663.prd

From the kids putting them in and out from under the breakfast bar the leather has now partially torn and the sponge is exposed underneath. It is quite bad where one side of one of the stools where the sponge is exposed. Our landlord is selling the house and wants to inspect it before releasing our deposit. We've been renting for 3 years and they were abroad. My husbands reckons and that we replace the stools before he comes back to avoid any agro but I think that might be considered wear and tear to the furniture. The landlord has 4 young children himself and they were slightly worn when we moved in. Plus he's selling the house so probably doesn't even really care too much!

I want to do the right thing but at the same time not spend unnecessary money.

What would you do? I'm tempted to just see if he says anything at all but my husband disagrees!!

Thanks

It depends on where they are damaged but if the damaged area is from them impacting the island then I wouldn't consider it normal wear and tear as it's due to a lack of care.

Advertisement