Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcharged by Hailo cab

Options
  • 01-04-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭

Ordered a taxi today to bring me to work. The meter read €11 and it was to be paid by card through the hailo app. I left the car and got the notification from hailo on the phone. When i glanced at it i saw €12.10 was charged. I went back and asked for a receipt, he threw mine to side and gave me an old one for €11.40. I was late for work and took receipt and went in.

I later had a receipt emailed to me from hailo. The fair was €11 and the driver added a €1.10 tip without my knowledge. I wrote on the app the story regarding the fair and phoned the company he works from, not going to name it as they are a good compnay. The receptionist took the details and wrote them in the complaints book. She dealt with the situation well tbf and said she would send the driver back to me.

Its not so much the 1.10, i mean its only a euro. It's the fact that the driver accessed my card without my permission. He could have put what he wanted on it. Its basically theft and i really want to report it further. I mean if he does this 10-20 times a day he's raking it in. Anyone have any thoughts.

The more i think of ut the angrier i get so want some inpartial advice i guess lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

There is a setting on the app for tips when using card, think this is automatically set at 10%, you will need to change this to 0% if you don't want a tip automatically taken.

To change this open Hailo, go to the menu and open wallet, you will see the option there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Sounds like OP jumped the gun....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Cheers lads. Had set it to 0 previously. Must have reset at some point. Rang vack the company to clear it up and explaibed it was on my side.

Cheers. I think it was that he gave me the wrong receipt that threw me. Had he goven mine i could have cleared it up there and then when i saw tip on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I've gotten over charged before. Booked a halio. Got the notification that the taxi had arrived that billing would begin in x minutes (think it was 5).

No taxi was there. Rang the drivers number. He told me he was a few mins away. Told him to cancel it as he had lied to get the meter running earlier. Was charged €5 2 mins later by him automatically from my card. Used the app to file a complaint never got a reply. Stopped the payment in the bank myself.

I love the handiness of the app with regards paying by card. But the ease at which the money can leave is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a Galway issue, moved to CI.

I use Hailo but always pay cash. That usually means I tip too much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

empacher wrote:
    I've gotten over charged before. Booked a halio. Got the notification that the taxi had arrived that billing would begin in x minutes (think it was 5).

No taxi was there. Rang the drivers number. He told me he was a few mins away. Told him to cancel it as he had lied to get the meter running earlier. Was charged €5 2 mins later by him automatically from my card. Used the app to file a complaint never got a reply. Stopped the payment in the bank myself.

Drivers are definitely circumventing the 5 minutes waiting time by hitting the "I've arrived" button well before they get to you, alright, and it's very annoying.

I am surprised that Hailo never responded to your complaint, though, in my experience they're very reactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Could they not track the taxis location versus your location to stop them hitting I have arrived. I've always paid by card and glance at the meter when I'm getting out. Haven't had a problem so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think they hit "arrived" early to give you time to get jackets on so they don't have to site waiting outside your house for 5 mins.

Pure speculation of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

I work in a taxi office in galway, we have an arrived button on our system but it will only work within 100 mtrs of the customers address, supprised hailo cant to this, being as there booking system is fully 100% location coordinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hailo's GPS has been way off for at least the last six months. I've been hoping an update will fix it. It finds my estate but by GPS it says I'm 20 doors to my left and when I change the house number to my actual house the map shows a road on the far side of the estate. Drivers say it's happening everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

athtrasna wrote: »
    Hailo's GPS has been way off for at least the last six months. I've been hoping an update will fix it. It finds my estate but by GPS it says I'm 20 doors to my left and when I change the house number to my actual house the map shows a road on the far side of the estate. Drivers say it's happening everywhere

That's not unique to Hailo's GPS. Many GPS systems, Garmin TomTom etc, are way off with the number sequences in some estates. An update won't fix it as it's a basic mapping error between site numbers mapped versus house number alignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's not unique to Hailo's GPS. Many GPS systems, Garmin TomTom etc, are way off with the number sequences in some estates. An update won't fix it as it's a basic mapping error between site numbers mapped versus house number alignment.

It used to be perfect though.

Advertisement