Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Virgin media RIPOFF

Options
  • 01-04-2016 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

I am a UPC customer for years now. In order to open a bank account, needed a hard copy of the latest utility bill.
    Virgin media wants EUR 12.50 to post it to my address.

Went and asked Energia with whom I just took a contract couple of months back and they will send it over free.

What a company, does customer loyalty mean anything to them??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Why not print it out yourself?

https://www.virginmedia.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

F1ngers wrote: »
    Why not print it out yourself?

https://www.virginmedia.ie/

The bank is not accepting it...they want the hard copy from the company itself.
    I know, its crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A solicitor told me a UPC bill would not be suitable for the bank. Maybe your bank is different.

Said it was not a proper utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevemul

When they were digging up your driveway to lay their cables, they claimed you could not stop them because they are a Utility!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

stevemul wrote: »
    When they were digging up your driveway to lay their cables, they claimed you could not stop them because they are a Utility!

Actually you could. If you have a look at their service maps you often see them stopping in the middle of a street where a house has refused to allow them. My mother in law got free everything for a year when they asked could they put cables past her house.

She said she would have a think and come back and then asked for free broadband, TV and Phone.

A small cost to them but to her it was a huge saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

suave.4u wrote: »
    The bank is not accepting it...they want the hard copy from the company itself.
    I know, its crazy!!
    Were you taking a screenshot of the virgin site or did you send them the pdf version? The pdf version is the exact same as what they send you.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Were you taking a screenshot of the virgin site or did you send them the pdf version? The pdf version is the exact same as what they send you.

+1 I printed out the pdf of my phone bill and they were happy with that.

CramCycle wrote: »
    +1 I printed out the pdf of my phone bill and they were happy with that.

No I took the PDF.
    The bank wants the hard copy from UPC.

Anyways that is sorted cause Energia has sent a copy. UPC is charging 12.50 bucks for this

suave.4u wrote: »
    No I took the PDF.
    The bank wants the hard copy from UPC.

Anyways that is sorted cause Energia has sent a copy. UPC is charging 12.50 bucks for this

My point was, if you print out the PDF, there is technically no difference. There is no special marking etc. If you were to walk in and not say anything or state that they posted it out, you would have been fine.

It just has to have your address and name and be one of the accepted types of bill.

CramCycle wrote: »
    My point was, if you print out the PDF, there is technically no difference. There is no special marking etc. If you were to walk in and not say anything or state that they posted it out, you would have been fine.

It just has to have your address and name and be one of the accepted types of bill.

Yes, I got that.
    My point is the fact that sending ONE bill to a customer who is with them should not cost 12 Euros!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Wait til you try and get copy statements from your bank!

If you have opted for paperless billing and request a printed one to be posted there is a cost involved. If you have a soft copy and can print it yourself then there is no cost involved.

I get what you are saying but it's not that simple for a huge company to just print a copy of a statement and stick it in the post on their way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

sconhome wrote: »
    ...it's not that simple for a huge company to just print a copy of a statement and stick it in the post on their way home....

It pretty much is that easy, if it isn't then they've a major system issue, the reluctance of getting a call centre to write and send a letter is astounding, it has always annoyed me as a customer of anything the lengths needed to get a letter. Except for insurance companies, they love letters.

I've worked in call centres and found the red tape totally frustrating from that side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Back when I worked in BT, for a while I had all the envelopes and headed paper and was the only person allowed send letters. I hated writing the damn things and it meant they basically never got done. I imagine there's some lad/girl in Limerick for Virgin that has the same responsibility on top of their normal job too!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could opt out of ebilling and wait for the next bill to come, they don't charge for paper bills if you're opted out. Not ideal I know.

Advertisement