Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conflict over communion

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My friend us a Baptist. Her ex is Catholic. Her little girl badly wanted to have the big day with the dress and felt left out among her classmates so my pal let her go along with it and they had a great day. Prob not the best reasons but her little girl was a princess for a day.. It doesn't have to mean you agree with all the churches teachings but if your child wants to do it and you feel uncomfortable with it all, you could try and see it as a personal thing between your little one and God- all religious beliefs aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Whether your religious or not why not let your child make her communion,she will more then likely want to anyway,it's a great day out for her and her class religion aside,I haven't a religious bone in my body,my little girl has her communion tomorrow,simply put what harm is it going to do her,she is all excited about her dress and being with her friends and the party after,no mention of religious side of it in our family anyway, ask her, if she wants to make it let her and just have a nice day out and watch your child lap up the attention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Whether your religious or not why not let your child make her communion,she will more then likely want to anyway,it's a great day out for her and her class religion aside,I haven't a religious bone in my body,my little girl has her communion tomorrow,simply put what harm is it going to do her,she is all excited about her dress and being with her friends and the party after,no mention of religious side of it in our family anyway, ask her, if she wants to make it let her and just have a nice day out and watch your child lap up the attention

As an adult, the communion did do me harm. I still remember the guilt around first confession, the scary thoughts of eating someone's body (remember, catholics are taught this is the flesh of a person you'll be eating, not a symbol) and the whole competition around dresses and who 'made' the most money.

I also don't have a religious bone in my body. That's why I won't be putting my children through a religious ceremony. If and when they are old enough to decide they believe a man who died 2,000 years ago was sent to earth by his father who was also himself and died shortly after telling his friends to eat his flesh and drink his blood so we can all go to heaven some day, they can then go through the sacrament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Ann22 wrote: »
    My friend us a Baptist. Her ex is Catholic. Her little girl badly wanted to have the big day with the dress and felt left out among her classmates so my pal let her go along with it and they had a great day. Prob not the best reasons but her little girl was a princess for a day.. It doesn't have to mean you agree with all the churches teachings but if your child wants to do it and you feel uncomfortable with it all, you could try and see it as a personal thing between your little one and God- all religious beliefs aside.
    This is what one of my colleagues did, neither parent are from Ireland and neither are catholic but their kid attends a catholic school. As there's so much prep for communion during classes the teacher asked the mom if the daughter could go along and she agreed so that she wouldn't feel left out. On the day she got to dress up and attend with her class but didn't have to make communion, I think she was a helper or something but she got to look like and feel like a princess for the day which was all that mattered to her.

Advertisement