If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Richersounds in Sterling with an Irish Card: Exchange Rate Info?

Options
  • 01-04-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I contacted my bank about using my Irish Visa Debit card to buy in Sterling with yourselves and they advised me that the actual Sterling to Euro conversion is done on the recipient's end and not with my bank.

So my question is: where can I find up to date info on how much I will be charged? Is there a way I can check with the bank that Richersounds use to find out their exchange rate at the time I make the payment? 

I'm not sure what way this works to be honest so I'd appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction here.

Regards

Austin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Austin1 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I contacted my bank about using my Irish Visa Debit card to buy in Sterling with yourselves and they advised me that the actual Sterling to Euro conversion is done on the recipient's end and not with my bank.

So my question is: where can I find up to date info on how much I will be charged? Is there a way I can check with the bank that Richersounds use to find out their exchange rate at the time I make the payment? 

I'm not sure what way this works to be honest so I'd appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction here.

Regards

Austin

If you use your Irish VISA card to pay in Sterling, the exchange rate will be that of VISA, with your bank's charges on top. The merchant's bank doesn't come into it.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Guys.

As far as I'm aware and as Hognef mentions it would be your bank or card issuer that would do the conversion to Euro if paying us in sterling.
    We would charge the amount in sterling and it would then be up to whoever at your end to convert to Euro.

I am a little confused by your bank saying its done at our end? Perhaps he meant it the other way around where if you pay us in Euro then our bank would convert that to Sterling for us but that would not affect the amount you would pay.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to pay in sterling as our Euro pricing on the website is fixed whereas at the moment the Euro and Pound are up and down every other day.

It really just depends what rate your bank/issuer will give you on sterling transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

Hey Guys.

As far as I'm aware and as Hognef mentions it would be your bank or card issuer that would do the conversion to Euro if paying us in sterling.
    We would charge the amount in sterling and it would then be up to whoever at your end to convert to Euro.

I am a little confused by your bank saying its done at our end? Perhaps he meant it the other way around where if you pay us in Euro then our bank would convert that to Sterling for us but that would not affect the amount you would pay.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to pay in sterling as our Euro pricing on the website is fixed whereas at the moment the Euro and Pound are up and down every other day.

It really just depends what rate your bank/issuer will give you on sterling transactions.
    OK thanks, I will double check with my bank. This wouldn't be the first time that someone in their call centre got their facts wrong!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Austin1 wrote: »
    Hey Guys.

OK thanks, I will double check with my bank. This wouldn't be the first time that someone in their call centre got their facts wrong!
    Hey Austin1.

No problem at all.

We are here to help in anyway we can :)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Austin,

juts to confirm the post above.

Our site www.richersounds.ie has 2 currency options - £ & € and we always advise Customers to check out whichever will work out better for them.

If you elect to pay in € your CC or Debit card statement will show exactly the € amount you confirmed on the site - the Euro price also always includes shipping ( whenever the product is available for shipping of course) - in effect we take the currency exchange risk.

If you elect to pay in £ Sterling and you have a Euro account - then we receive the sterling amount into OUR bank account :D - but we have no control over the actual € amount you will be charged - essentially you take the Currency exchange risk - it's up to your bank or the Company that has issued your Credit Card to do the conversion and add any charges - without 'Bank Bashing' lets say that Customers are rarely pleased with the conversion...

Our advice would always be to actually call you CC Company or Bank if you are making a large purchase and check the actual rates and charges when you are making the purchase - don't rely on sites like xe.com as whilst they are really accurate, they generally reflect mid-market currency trading rates and NOT what your nice bank charge..

BTW we also offer the same option in-store, we operate a euro CC terminal in-store and you can elect to pay in euro or Sterling.

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can ever assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.