Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about the army

• 01-04-2016 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm considering joining the army(general enlistment) but i obviously have quite a few questions about the lifestyle.
    What would be a good fitness plan to become fit enough to pass the army fitness tests?
    Would having no leaving cert affect my chances of joining?
    What would a soldier do in the irish army from day to day?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

NLost0048 wrote: »
    I'm considering joining the army(general enlistment) but i obviously have quite a few questions about the lifestyle.
    What would be a good fitness plan to become fit enough to pass the army fitness tests?
    Would having no leaving cert affect my chances of joining?
    What would a soldier do in the irish army from day to day?
    Thanks,
    Nick

1; Run, and when you're finished run some more. Basically as a recruit you're going to do a lot of running, a LOT.

If you do a search here (and the search engine here is crap, try google instead) you'll find some discussion on the fitness test to gain entry into the DF. Its NOT an easy test, if you don't train for it the odds are stacked against you.

2. Re the leaving cert. It would be to your advantage, but not essential. Don't let it put you off applying.

3. Day to day.. Well initially as a recruit you'll do lots of classroom work, arms and foot drill on the square (a large area in all army barracks), and lots of RUNNING (yes that word again).

As a trained soldier rarely will two days ever be the same.

I can't even give you an example of a typical day because if you had 50 serving members reply to this thread chances are we'll all have had a completely different day/week to each other.

I hope you like running :pac:

Advertisement