Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square deal building

Options
  • 01-04-2016 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Few weeks ago, they put up a sign on the Square deal (furniture shop) building indicating it was for sale. It s the building in Washington St.
    I saw today that they removed the sign.
    Does anyone know what they plan to do there?
    It is a big building in a very good location. I hope they won't do offices again but appartments as it is currently a nightmare to rent a decent place in the city centre.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Deub wrote: »
    Hi All,

Few weeks ago, they put up a sign on the Square deal (furniture shop) building indicating it was for sale. It s the building in Washington St.
    I saw today that they removed the sign.
    Does anyone know what they plan to do there?
    It is a big building in a very good location. I hope they won't do offices again but appartments as it is currently a nightmare to rent a decent place in the city centre.
    Thanks

Heard talk of a hotel development but that was all without too much foundation. It would make a nice a hotel. Parking would be an issue. Unlikely to be suitable for basement parking I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

Heard talk of a hotel development but that was all without too much foundation. It would make a nice a hotel. Parking would be an issue. Unlikely to be suitable for basement parking I guess.

You may be right. Apparently it will be either accomodations (including for students) or an hotel:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/good-deal-just-got-better-at-cork-citys-prime-city-centre-site-at-square-deal-store-369453.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

It would make a cool hotel/higher end hostel (like some of the newer european ones )as some of the structure is protected. Otherwise develop the building for apartments. No better location for apartment rental..actually looking at the link posted the siteb would be big enough for both
    also the old petrol station up the rd anything earmarked for that site

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

There is so much talk about the shortage of accommodation provision that it would make more sense to have some sort of hostel / apartment / bedsit provision rather than a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

It would make a cool hotel/higher end hostel (like some of the newer european ones )as some of the structure is protected. Otherwise develop the building for apartments. No better location for apartment rental..actually looking at the link posted the siteb would be big enough for both

I heard recently that the petrol station site has been bought and is earmarked for student accommodation - not by UCC, by a private company.

• Advertisement

Hopefully that will get up and running soon badly needed by the sounds of things last sept

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Where is the petrol station site?

on western road just before the front gate of UCC use to be an esso station many a stop off at 3am on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

That was bought by the reardens owner about 7 or 8 years ago to be an apartment development but didnt go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

it used to be a shoe factory, and before that a school!
    St Joseph's (beside Pres on the mardye) started out there.

• Advertisement

Not much happening in the place right now. The city badly needs apartments. Fingers crossed, it is not a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I heard recently that the petrol station site has been bought and is earmarked for student accommodation - not by UCC, by a private company.

Planning permission granted according to the Echo.

Zig1-620x403.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Awful looking carbuncle.

O that looks terrible. Cant blame locals for objecting doesnt fit in with the area at all. Im all for apartments but not that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hmm, it's got a hint of croatian communist office block about it alright! The other photos make it look poorly positioned on the site, completely dark in the center area, and I hope to all things holy that is not the rotting timber cladding they are planning on the exterior finish. 
    But meh, better than an empty former petrol station, and it's not like I'm stumping up the millions to build anything better.

O that looks terrible. Cant blame locals for objecting doesnt fit in with the area at all. Im all for apartments but not that.

Likewise, we need apartments but that thing looks like a beached cruise liner and an ugly cruise liner at that.

opus wrote: »
    Planning permission granted according to the Echo.

Zig1-620x403.jpg

Doesn't look the best but should be a big improvement on the derelict site hopefully.

overmantle wrote: »
    Doesn't look the best but should be a big improvement on the derelict site hopefully.

I'm not sure if a building as fugly as that is a vast 'improvement'.

Useful, yes. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Heard on Red FM this morning that the Square Deal building has been sold and will be transformed into more student apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

How much more student apartments do we need? Not that they are not functional but why the explosion? Is there some sort of tax incentive going?
    Would have liked to see something a bit more high profile here.

• Advertisement

How much more student apartments do we need? Not that they are not functional but why the explosion? Is there some sort of tax incentive going?

It might have a knock on effect...student hovels can then be freed up for other renters.

It might have a knock on effect...student hovels can then be freed up for other renters.

Exactly there is a large number of students communting long distances every day and staying a night or two a week in hostels. I know of a couple of cases
    as for he square building i always thought it would make a cool upmarket hostel like what you get in parts of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Heard on Red FM this morning that the Square Deal building has been sold and will be transformed into more student apartments.

Yes examiner have an article on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Yup, they have pretty good tax incentives to build. Hence BAM building them on the event centre site as well.

High density housing is needed badly in the city, but the good sites are being hoovered up by student accommodation because it pays more.

High density housing is needed badly in the city, but the good sites are being hoovered up by student accommodation because it pays more.

Why am I not surprised?

Yup, they have pretty good tax incentives to build. Hence BAM building them on the event centre site as well.

It seems to be all about tax incentives.The only hope is that if more student accommodation complexes are built, it might free up some of the housing that might otherwise be rented out to students.

That it a lot of houses around glasheen wilton bishopstown currently rented to students would make good family homes

That it a lot of houses around glasheen wilton bishopstown currently rented to students would make good family homes
    I totally agree. That's the one major advantage of building student accommodation.

Here is an article about the former Square Deal building that should become student accommodations: http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/e5m-square-deal-student-flats/2612285/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Awful looking carbuncle.

Composes well with the Lancaster Gate/River Lee Hotel complex...

Advertisement