Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Weird fun fact of the day: the Padres play in Toronto's dome tonite (under both Skydome and Rogers names) for the first time in franchise history!

And I'm just thinking now too - if Interleague play began after the Dome was built (and correct me if I'm wrong, it did) the Padres didn't play in Exhibition Centre either. So it's their first ever trip to Toronto.

Not though their first trip to Canada. They would have played the Expos many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mod9maple wrote: »
    And I'm just thinking now too - if Interleague play began after the Dome was built (and correct me if I'm wrong, it did) the Padres didn't play in Exhibition Centre either. So it's their first ever trip to Toronto.

Not though their first trip to Canada. They would have played the Expos many times.

That's mad. I wonder are there any teams who haven't played in every stadium yet.

That's mad. I wonder are there any teams who haven't played in every stadium yet.

I'd say Baseball Reference could tell you. I do know the Jays have visited every other team. I don't recall them ever going to Wrigley, and I've been following them since the late 70s, but they have I discovered. Once. A 3 game series in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

As far as I can tell Padres @ Blue Jays is the last one to be played, every other fixture has been covered. The recent increase in interleague play has seen a lot of the more obscure ones get scheduled. White Sox @ Mets was another one until very recently, Cubs @ Red Sox also!

On your specific question of having played in every stadium, I'm sure there's a few that haven't happened yet at the newer ballparks. Marlins Park would be the one to look at, or Minnesota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

8-10 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell Padres @ Blue Jays is the last one to be played, every other fixture has been covered. The recent increase in interleague play has seen a lot of the more obscure ones get scheduled. White Sox @ Mets was another one until very recently, Cubs @ Red Sox also!

On your specific question of having played in every stadium, I'm sure there's a few that haven't happened yet at the newer ballparks. Marlins Park would be the one to look at, or Minnesota.

IMHO they should end the inter-league games. It dilutes the schedule too much, and frankly I think outside of the big-time local matchups (Cubs/Sox, Mets/Yankees, Giants/Oakland), the games aren't better draws than the intra-league matchups; Seattle/Tampa won't do better than Red Sox/Padres.

And way past time to have the DH in both leagues, or neither. I think both leagues has a better chance to happen, the union won't object to that and the things been an 'experiment' since... 1977? Something like that.

Igotadose wrote: »
    IMHO they should end the inter-league games. It dilutes the schedule too much, and frankly I think outside of the big-time local matchups (Cubs/Sox, Mets/Yankees, Giants/Oakland), the games aren't better draws than the intra-league matchups; Seattle/Tampa won't do better than Red Sox/Padres.

And way past time to have the DH in both leagues, or neither. I think both leagues has a better chance to happen, the union won't object to that and the things been an 'experiment' since... 1977? Something like that.

Agree the DH should be in both leagues by now but if that happens I'd want the schedule to include all teams. No reason you can't play all 29 other teams in 162 game season. Play a 3 game series against each other team and there's still over 100 games left for all the additional division games and traditional rivalries. If the leagues stay as they are though I think the number of interleague games is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Blue Jay's are getting OF Melvin Upton Jr from the Padres for a prospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Some interesting rumours coming out that the nationals are about to trade for Wade Davis. That would be some move if it happens!

Blue Jay's are getting OF Melvin Upton Jr from the Padres for a prospect

I imagine the Padres will continue to pay part of his salary. Nice pick-up though for the run-in. A bullpen arm would be good too though.

• Advertisement

A 2-3 War player for a lottery prospect and 'Padres are paying all except $5M on Melvin Upton. He has $22M plus left.'

I'll take that! Nice.

Igotadose wrote:

Beats me why it hasn't happened already. It's a ridiculous situation. Get it done Mlb!

Some interesting rumours coming out that the nationals are about to trade for Wade Davis. That would be some move if it happens!

He'll cost a lot surely? More than what the Cubs gave the Yankees for Chapman I'd imagine anyway.

A 2-3 War player for a lottery prospect and 'Padres are paying all except $5M on Melvin Upton. He has $22M plus left.'

I'll take that! Nice.

I know it's been a while now but I still can't get used to calling him Melvin.

A good addition though, I agree.

8-10 wrote: »
    Agree the DH should be in both leagues by now but if that happens I'd want the schedule to include all teams. No reason you can't play all 29 other teams in 162 game season. Play a 3 game series against each other team and there's still over 100 games left for all the additional division games and traditional rivalries. If the leagues stay as they are though I think the number of interleague games is good

Maybe it's because I'm a fan of an NL team and see more games without the DH, but I love the pitcher hitting and hopefully the NL will keep it that way. I don't know, but is there any momentum for changing it in the NL at the moment? I haven't heard it anyway but it's always lurking and comes up every now and then.

I'm not a grumpy 'old traditionalist' baseball fan as I'm only a fan since 05/06 but I'd love to do away with the interleave games altogether and leave it for the WS. Never going to happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I actually hate the DH role. If a pitcher is on defence he should also be on offense. If someone is an incredible batter, he should have to be able to make a defence role his own, same as all the other positions.

Ichiro back in the line up for the Marlins tonight (leading off). 3,000 hits watch back on!

SantryRed wrote:
    I actually hate the DH role. If a pitcher is on defence he should also be on offense. If someone is an incredible batter, he should have to be able to make a defence role his own, same as all the other positions.

If a pitcher can hit, then DH him. Most can't though so it's an easy out. For the sake of parity the DH needs to be introduced in the NL, tradition be damned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Ichiro back in the line up for the Marlins tonight (leading off). 3,000 hits watch back on!

I absolutely love Ichiro. One of those players that I consider myself lucky to have seen play. He actually hit two home runs in the same game the night I saw him. Very unusual of him. The real hit king.

• Advertisement

What a finale there, Jays win on wild pitch in the 12th. Especially with Red Sox an O's losing. Crucial

Devon Travis 14 pitch at bad in the 12th too was beautiful

Although another just awful umpire display. The Jays got a couple of nice calls in that last inning and then there was a clear ball on Donaldson on a 3-1 count called a strike, horrible stuff, he was like that all game

Flirted with the idea of calling in sick for the lunch time game tomorrow but just have too much work to do at the moment unfortunately:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Most teams are going to run a mile unless he agrees to lower salary demand. I think he's due about $8 million this year which is crazy for a reliever having a bad a year as he is. Unless Blue Jays agree to pay part of his salary for moving him on, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Going to have to eat my words here:

Mariners acquire Storen in return for Benoit and cash considerations.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I absolutely love Ichiro. One of those players that I consider myself lucky to have seen play. He actually hit two home runs in the same game the night I saw him. Very unusual of him. The real hit king.

One more hit tonight. 3 to go. Had a HR pulled back by the outfielder. Might be over by tomorrow if he starts.

Agreed about the hit king, not the gambling thug. (Old time Met fans like me still remember the fight in the 1973 pennant playoffs that the thug started.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

One more hit tonight. 3 to go. Had a HR pulled back by the outfielder. Might be over by tomorrow if he starts.

Agreed about the hit king, not the gambling thug. (Old time Met fans like me still remember the fight in the 1973 pennant playoffs that the thug started.)

Sorry I'm calling absolute horse **** on this. Pete Rose is the hit king, the one and only. Its a pity Ichiro didn't start in the MLB he might have got close.

Going to have to eat my words here:

Mariners acquire Storen in return for Benoit and cash considerations.

His first outing:

1st inning: 3 groundouts
    2nd inning: loads up the bases before giving up a walk

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

His first outing:

Can't believe Seattle put him in tonight. 4 runs, 3 hits and a walk in the 7th and only had 1 out! Thank god he's gone from the Jays 'pen.

• Advertisement

His first outing:

How long did that outing take do you know?

Can't gloat too much with Familia as the Mets closer though, seems like he's the offspring of John Franco and Armando Benitez, sometimes lights out, sometimes escaping by the skin of his teeth. Some ridiculously bad statistics - lots of hits, lots of walks, lots of baserunners aloud. 36 saves, 51 in a row, but his reckoning will come, I am certain.

And last night was the night. Had to happen eventually. Can't keep walking the tightrope and not expect to fall off.

And last night was the night. Had to happen eventually. Can't keep walking the tightrope and not expect to fall off.

Not surprised. Still can't stand the sight of Wainwright throwing curveballs and the Mets flailing at them. At least they got the bats off the shoulders, unlike in 2006.

Some good signs from yesterday - Cespedes hitting a HR, Verrett not being a complete disaster for a change, d'Arnaud with a few hits. Good game, too bad it ended like it did. Familia just allows too damn many baserunners.

Not surprised. Still can't stand the sight of Wainwright throwing curveballs and the Mets flailing at them. At least they got the bats off the shoulders, unlike in 2006.

Some good signs from yesterday - Cespedes hitting a HR, Verrett not being a complete disaster for a change, d'Arnaud with a few hits. Good game, too bad it ended like it did. Familia just allows too damn many baserunners.

2nd blown save in a row today. It shouldn't have gotten to this though. As usual the Mets couldn't hit with RISP. In the seventh they had bases loaded and 0 out and came away with nothing.

Ans Sandy Alderson still says they don't need to trade for a bat? They're currently 53-47 (soon to be 48!) but I heard a stat yesterday that they're something like 35-5 when they score more than 4 runs so the pitching isn't the problem.

In the 110 ABs with RISP since the All Star break, they are batting .157!!! But, hey, let’s get a reliever,

Giants pick up INF Eduardo Nunez from the Twins for a minor leaguer

• Advertisement

2 hits for Ichiro to get now. Getting close!

Cashner of the Padres to the Fish. I'm also hearing Jays aggressively pursuing the A's Rich Hill.

2 hits for Ichiro to get now. Getting close!

He's in the line-up tonite playing LF. Has he ever played left before? Anyway he's there, batting third.

He's in the line-up tonite playing LF. Has he ever played left before? Anyway he's there, batting third.

He's played LF quite a bit this year

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=suzukic01&t=b&year=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I dunno if BT Sports chose there games in advance but they ain't showing the Marlins game tonight. I remember when Jeter was going for 3K hits, ESPN Europe had the Yankee games on day after day until he hit that homer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Actually I just checked the schedule and Cards V Marlins is on ESPN tomorrow night...with Ichiro 0 for 2 so far tonight maybe the TV towers know more than the fans...

Ichiro went 0-4 but made a great throw from deep left field to throw out Wong at the plate.

Benoit for Storen already looking like a good trade, Joaquin pitched a scoreless 7th inning. Still unconvinced by him, and don't think he should be pitching the day after an off day. I think when Sanchez goes down our bullpen could be good.

Big series in Toronto this weekend with the Orioles in town, Bautista, Eddie and Tulo all homered in the 1st inning and the Jays won 6-5. Now half a game back from Baltimore in the AL East. A sweep would be amazing.

And blew it again 2 nights ago, but the rest of 'em let the team down yesterday.

D'Arnaud is this year's rallykiller. He's been pretty bad since coming back. Trouble is, there's no replacement that's any better.

And, the dreaded 'team meeting' happened yesterday. Still, I am holding out hope, only July. Matz pitched well though a lot of hits given up last night in 6? 7? innings? I don't understand walking a batter to face Gonzalez with the lefty, Bastardo (well named... :P)

Nats acquire Closer Mark Melancon from the Pirates

JA Happ allows 2 hits through 7 innings against the Orioles today. Hard to believe our pitching has gotten considerably better after losing David Price.

• Advertisement

My comment on the Jays 3 months ago. They're currently 9-1 up on the O's, and about to win the first two of a three game series. With a win tonite they top the AL East. It's not quite August but still...

The Jays will make the playoffs, either as division winner or a WC.

mod9maple wrote:
    When everything starts clicking they'll start winning series, mark my words. Let's see where they're at in August.

My comment from 3 months ago; see above (quote disappeared when I edited!)

My comment from 3 months ago; see above (quote disappeared when I edited!)

If they complete the sweep tomorrow it'll be huge. Not going to get carried away yet though. Tough road trip at Houston and Kansas this week. If we're still top after that we should go on to win the AL East

Well you know what they say: after the Trade deadline they enter the 'dog days of August'. :)

Well you know what they say: after the Trade deadline they enter the 'dog days of August'. :)

Any final additions to the bullpen do you think? I still hope Sanchez doesn't go down. I loved Grilli's reaction last night. Pure passion. That man wants to pitch in October!

Padres trade OF Matt Kemp to the Braves for OF Hector Olivera

Indians going all in. First Lucroy (pending him waiving no clause) and now Miller. The best in the Al just got better!

TimRiggins wrote: »
    If they complete the sweep tomorrow it'll be huge. Not going to get carried away yet though. Tough road trip at Houston and Kansas this week. If we're still top after that we should go on to win the AL East

Even with a good week, it'll still be too early to say "should" go onto win. Still 50 something games to go. Anything can and probably will happen

Indians going all in. First Lucroy (pending him waiving no clause) and now Miller. The best in the Al just got better!

For some reason I went to Shelby first instead of Andrew and though that sounded a bit mad.

Yankees clearly given up completely

• Advertisement

2 of the Indian's top 3 prospects going to NY. After the haul they got from the Cubs and now this, the Yankees could be building something here. And they'll have a lot of dead wood gone in the next year or two too.

Advertisement