Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

tallpaul wrote: »
    I would think that there will be a lot of people in the Yankees organisation happy to see A-Rod finished playing. The end of the €275m ten year contract, the strops, hysterics and the whole doping thing.

It is a shame though as he is only 4 short of 700 HR's and the Babe's total of 714 should have been in reach also.

Even with all he has achieved in the game, I believe the Hall of Fame will elude him, as it will Bonds, Sosa, Clemens and McGwire.

yeah it's not really the end of the contract though the yankees will still have to pay him.

The HOF is really a bit of a joke though when you consider Pete Rose, Bonds, Clemens and McGwire wont be in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The HOF is really a bit of a joke though when you consider Pete Rose, Bonds, Clemens and McGwire wont be in it.

Always has been.

Having said that, I'd still go visit it if I had the chance, anyone been? Also I really enjoyed the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where they parodied it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

8-10 wrote: »
    Always has been.

Having said that, I'd still go visit it if I had the chance, anyone been? Also I really enjoyed the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where they parodied it.

I haven't been, it's on the to do list but it's really out of the way from what I can remember when looking it up two years ago.

To be honest though the glaring ommisions kinda put me off going and yet at the same time I understand the PED guys not being in. I don't for the life of me understand Rose not being in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I reckon when you have some of the older writers voters retire and newer writer voters come up you might see a change in attitude and opinions depending if some people are still on the ballot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Guys please, go to MLB videos and find one called 'The curious case of Ichiro.' It's mind blowing. They show career highlights and then read out quirky facts. But at the end? A spray chart of all 3000 hits. Unreal. The vid is funny too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I saw that chart somewhere else today. 1 opposite field HR! The 200ft triple down the 1B is something I'd like to see too! Amazing how it's literally impossible to get a hit that lands on the grass passed the second baseman too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

How is the HOF a joke by excluding McGwire, Bonds etc?? They cheated by taking performance enhancing drugs!!! To admit the likes of them would do a great disservice to all those who played the game properly in the previous hundred years! What sort of message would it send out? Work away kids on the auld drugs there, you can still end up a Hall of Famer regardless!!

As for Pete Rose, a shoe-in for the Hall except for the minor hiccup of betting on his own games!! Besides he has come across extremely churlish recently regarding Ichiro's hitting feat which lowers him in my book.

zuutroy wrote:
    I saw that chart somewhere else today. 1 opposite field HR! The 200ft triple down the 1B is something I'd like to see too! Amazing how it's literally impossible to get a hit that lands on the grass passed the second baseman too

We all remember Vlad Guerrero's hit off the ball bounced in front of the plate but I didn't know Ichiro did it too, in Japan. Great hand eye coordination! And the ninja slide at home plate round Wieters. Wow. I'd forgotten that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

How is the HOF a joke by excluding McGwire, Bonds etc?? They cheated by taking performance enhancing drugs!!! To admit the likes of them would do a great disservice to all those who played the game properly in the previous hundred years! What sort of message would it send out? Work away kids on the auld drugs there, you can still end up a Hall of Famer regardless!!

As for Pete Rose, a shoe-in for the Hall except for the minor hiccup of betting on his own games!! Besides he has come across extremely churlish recently regarding Ichiro's hitting feat which lowers him in my book.

Minor hiccup? I'd have to disagree on that one.

Churlish or not Rose has the most hits in Baseball ever, what has betting on games got to do with that? Seriously? It's a ridiculous reason for keeping him out of the hall of fame.

And Bonds .. if he isn't in the hall of fame then he shouldn't be in the record books. You cant have your cake and eat it. Either none of his records should stand, expunge him from the history of the game or put him in the hall, where he deserves to be as one of the greatest hitters of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Churlish or not Rose has the most hits in Baseball ever, what has betting on games got to do with that? Seriously? It's a ridiculous reason for keeping him out of the hall of fame.

Rule 5 is the issue here. It's not just about how good a player was. The voters are supposed to take "integrity, sportsmanship and character" into consideration too. So Rose is in big trouble here. Also I think if you're banned, you can't be considered either.

And Bonds .. if he isn't in the hall of fame then he shouldn't be in the record books. You cant have your cake and eat it. Either none of his records should stand, expunge him from the history of the game or put him in the hall, where he deserves to be as one of the greatest hitters of all time.

The HoF and MLB are two separate organisations so those two aren't related.

The HoF is a just museum remember that supposedly records the greats of baseball. It is kind of weird that it pretends the steroid era didn't exist (or Pete Rose) but it is what it is.

Probably because I didn't grow up loving and identifying with Halls of Fame, I'm not too bothered to be honest. I'd probably get lynched by any American reading this for saying that but we all know who the great players are/were and I think looking at records and achievements (including asterisks) is better than whether a player is in Cooperstown or Canton etc.

Tim Tebow as an outfielder. Didn't realise it was April Fool's Day already. This can't be serious

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/report-tim-tebow-is-pursuing-a-career-in-a-professional-baseball-080916

The HoF is a just museum remember that supposedly records the greats of baseball. It is kind of weird that it pretends the steroid era didn't exist (or Pete Rose) but it is what it is.

Probably because I didn't grow up loving and identifying with Halls of Fame, I'm not too bothered to be honest. I'd probably get lynched by any American reading this for saying that but we all know who the great players are/were and I think looking at records and achievements (including asterisks) is better than whether a player is in Cooperstown or Canton etc.

The record books indicate that Rose has the most hits and he's not in the hof for betting on games for me its ridiculous but that's just my opinion. Also it makes it easier for the MLB to sweep the entire steroid era under the carpet when in fact there are probably just as many, if not more , players juicing now.

Steroids are rife in all American sports but the NFL and baseball are absolutely full of juicers. Steroid or no steroids I couldn't do what Bonds did and neither could 99% of people. The fact that there were probably people juicing in the 50's, 60's and 70's as well also gets swept aside and maybe even earlier.

Wholesome America wants its athletes squeaky clean the reality is that most are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Prince Fielder just announced he's gonna retire

Edit: He's been officially declared "medically disabled" so he'll get the full amount owed to him.. Around $100 m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Prince Fielder just announced he's gonna retire

Edit: He's been officially declared "medically disabled" so he'll get the full amount owed to him.. Around $100 m
    Just reading there if he never plays again he will finish with same number of career homers (319) as his father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They ban players because of betting on games due to the Black Sox scandal. It's a message to the players, really. Shoeless Joe Jackson would be in, otherwise, I think he's the only player to bat .400 in a season that isn't in the HOF and it seems pretty clear he didn't participate in the game fixing with his teammates.

Rose bet on games that he was managing.

His behavior since probably has no impact on anything, its what he did while a player.

Bonds, well, that's another message to the players. Cheat and you won't get in. So be it, every sport has to cope with cheating. A-Rod won't get in with his 700 homers. The greatest hitting catcher in history, Mike Piazza, took several ballots due to 'rumors' of steroid use, though he did just get in.

The HOF is a cool place to visit, is about it. Totally agree we know who the great players were/are, I'm envious of the younger fans who now have easily accessible videos and audios of them in action. Imagine youtube full of Clemente's great plays, Bob Gibson's amazing year, Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Willie Mays, ....

Igotadose wrote: »
    The HOF is a cool place to visit, is about it. Totally agree we know who the great players were/are, I'm envious of the younger fans who now have easily accessible videos and audios of them in action. Imagine youtube full of Clemente's great plays, Bob Gibson's amazing year, Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Willie Mays, ....

You've been?

• Advertisement

You've been?

NYC born and raised, lifelong baseball fan. Visited with my brother in 2002 prior to move to west coast and thence to Kerry.

Cute little town. Hall actually was smaller than I expected.

I was being facetious about the minor hiccup on Rose's betting.

Regarding the Hall, most players would admit that being admitted to the HoF is the ultimate accolade in baseball. It is a vindication by others that you are one of the greatest players of all time on the field AND OFF IT TOO.

By refusing to admit those that cheat, bet or otherwise diminish the values of the game, it ensures that those that play and act right are worthy.

So what that Rose had 4800 hits and his other records, what sticks in his craw is that he couldn't get into the Hall. Its the the principle of actually being acknowledged as the best rather than the widely held perception, that has had him repeatedly lobby to try get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

So Tim Tebow....................

Charizard wrote:

In the Bigs? Never happen.

Charizard wrote: »

Not a chance. Some Minor League team will sign him for the publicity but given he hasn't swung at a ball in more than ten years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Joey Bats placed on 15 day DL with sprained left knee. Bluejays outfield gone from Saunders/Pillar/Bautista to Saunders/Upton/Lake. Need a win tonight.

• Advertisement

Not a chance. Some Minor League team will sign him for the publicity but given he hasn't swung at a ball in more than ten years...

Haha I know still fair play to the man, a guy with very limited football ability really making the most of his fame

No A-Rod in the line up tonight again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Charizard wrote: »
    Haha I know still fair play to the man, a guy with very limited football ability really making the most of his fame

He did win the Heisman trophy so not sure about the "limited football ability" part.

Girardi said his job description does not entail farewell tours

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/girardi-on-sitting-a-rod-my-job-description-does-not-entail-a-farewell-tour/

Ouch.

Something is brewing for Mariners again - they've just won 6 in a row including sweeping the Tigers.

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Joey Bats placed on 15 day DL with sprained left knee. Bluejays outfield gone from Saunders/Pillar/Bautista to Saunders/Upton/Lake. Need a win tonight.

Happ is having a great season

Cubs post their ninth in a row and now have a three game set against the Cardinals. I think a series win would all but bury St. Louis for this year.

Ahhh i fell asleep after the 6th inning last in the Yankees v Sox game...

Missed the comeback...

Cubs post their ninth in a row and now have a three game set against the Cardinals. I think a series win would all but bury St. Louis for this year.

I'm on wild card watch so the more the Cubs can beat up on the Cards and the Pirates the better.

Sure is. Would be madness to suggest he'd be the first MLB Pitcher in games won in August before the year. Overcame a runner on third and second in the first inning and never looked back.

He did win the Heisman trophy so not sure about the "limited football ability" part.

Look at winners of this trophy among qb they are suited to the college game where the athleticism dominates. Watch his college tape its a whole lot scrambling

8-10 wrote:

Yep, amazing. Estrada too but he's being hampered by a bad back.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Yep, amazing. Estrada too but he's being hampered by a bad back.

Sanchez is arguably a Cy Young contender too! What did we ever do with Devon Travis? He's been on fire lately.

He's in there tonight and still getting his usual Fenway welcome. Apparently he asked to play 3rd but Joe said No! Batting cleanup though...

Collins' rant was fun! After 3 1/2 mins, barely taking a breath, he said "that's all I have to say, I'm done" and stood up and left. :D

• Advertisement

Collins' rant was fun! After 3 1/2 mins, barely taking a breath, he said "that's all I have to say, I'm done" and stood up and left. :D

He's been close to cracking for a while now but yesterday sent him over the edge. While I agree with what he said about players needing to be accountable, he's not blameless for what's happened this season. I know they've been riddled with injuries all season he's an awful in-game manager and his use of the bullpen can be baffling at times.

Coeus wrote: »
    He's in there tonight and still getting his usual Fenway welcome. Apparently he asked to play 3rd but Joe said No! Batting cleanup though...

0-4 but he had an rbi groundout.

0-4 but he had an rbi groundout.
    After watching the first at bat I was fairly confident he wasn't going to hit a homer so I wasn't surprised this morning when I checked the box score.

Interesting article about A-Rod's time as a Mariner. I didn't realise how much they hate him in Seattle (still)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/alex-rodriguez-leaves-behind-complicated-legacy-in-seattle-161153513.html
    His accomplishments with the club are incredible. Rodriguez was a prodigy. He reached the majors at 18, and made his first All-Star team at 20. Two years later, he became the third player ever to join the 40/40 club. He led the league in batting average, doubles, hits and runs during his tenure in Seattle. He won four Silver Sluggers and made four All-Star teams and finished second and third in MVP voting.

Sounds like he could have been a legend (for the right reasons) if he stayed off the steroids.

Sounds like he could have been a legend (for the right reasons) if he stayed off the steroids.

It will always baffle me what would drive someone, with so much natural ability, playing a sport he loves and already being paid millions, to cheat? Why do it?

A-Rod plays DH and bats 3rd in his last game tonight

It will always baffle me what would drive someone, with so much natural ability, playing a sport he loves and already being paid millions, to cheat? Why do it?

It is a strange one alright. He obviously wasn't content with potentially being one of the best baseball players ever and wanted to be the best.

I'd love it if one day he comes clean and admits the whole truth about his drug taking. For all we know he could have been on something his whole career. I seriously doubt it was just those 3 years in Texas that he admitted to and the Biogenesis stuff.

A-Rod plays DH and bats 3rd in his last game tonight

I would have thought they'd let him play the field in his last game.

Yankees-Rays is free game of the day on MLB TV and looks like they are showing the pregame ceremony.

• Advertisement

And its pouring down in the Bronx

Advertisement