Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Dodgers just broke up a no hitter with 2 outs in the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Dodgers just broke up a no hitter with 2 outs in the 9th.

A blooping single too. If it had hung up just a little further the left fielder might have gotten to it too. A shame, but shouldn't spoil what was an amazing performance from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

TimRiggins wrote:
    A blooping single too.

Seems to always be that way, doesn't it? Never a homer, always a bloop.

Meanwhile in the AL East everyone is scuffling. No one seems to want to run away with it. Could go right to the wire.

I don't really follow the Dodgers closely but their trade with Phillies with Ruis and Ellis swapping teams seems to have baffled a lot of people.

Ellis was Kershaw's catcher and apparently he wasn't too happy with the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Seems like every year that this time comes around when the play off chase heats up, ESPN want to show the Little League World Series! No games on at all tonight to watch.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Seems to always be that way, doesn't it? Never a homer, always a bloop.

Meanwhile in the AL East everyone is scuffling. No one seems to want to run away with it. Could go right to the wire.

Yeah Jays were frustrating this week. Red Sox 5-0 down after the 1st inning against Kansas tonight. Big series with the Jays at Baltimore Monday.

Dioneer Navarro (back) to the Jays from the White Sox for a AA minor leaguer. Apparently he was elated. The feeling, I imagine, will be reciprocated in the clubhouse. Nice pick-up if you ask me.

Their GM mentioned tonite they want to find a premier left-handed bat before Sept 1. Joey Votto?! Hmmm. That'd be good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So.... Gary Sanchez

He's going to be good.. Very good

Dioneer Navarro (back) to the Jays from the White Sox for a AA minor leaguer. Apparently he was elated. The feeling, I imagine, will be reciprocated in the clubhouse. Nice pick-up if you ask me.

Their GM mentioned tonite they want to find a premier left-handed bat before Sept 1. Joey Votto?! Hmmm. That'd be good. :)

Didn't realise Votto was born in Toronto, would be a great addition. Navarro should give Estrada confidence after his shaky last few outings and chipped in with some big hits last year. Good addition.

Justin Smoak goes 0 for 30 with RISP before tonight and ends up with 5 RBIs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Bartolo Colon had 2 hits last night. The ball's gotta be juiced this year. These home runs look like pop flys on replay that just carry. During the St. Louis/Mets series there were at least 2 HR's hit off the end of the bat, or with the top hand flying off the handle as the ball was hit.

Just seems like either pitchers have regressed badly, or the balls juiced, the players on something undetectable, or some combo of all three.

Still, Mets winning is good. Got to keep it up to have any kind of chance at the postseason. And yet another outfielder hurt, and Jay Bruce striking out 4 times looking bad on all of them.

So.... Gary Sanchez

He's going to be good.. Very good

He's at it again today.

Nice Laurel & Hardy inside the park home run for the Blue Jays there.

I knew there was a reason I don't like that proposed automatic intentional walk. One time in a million you get something like this. Ended up costing them the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

And this...

• Advertisement

That's brilliant. I'd never seen that before.

Donaldson hits a hat trick of homers in Toronto and the hats come raining down onto the field. How Canadian. :)

Donaldson hits a hat trick of homers in Toronto and the hats come raining down onto the field. How Canadian. :)

Encarnacion hit 3 homers almost a year to the day ago too(29th August 2015)

I can't believe I'm actually following the Tim Tebow workout on Twitter. I need to get a life.

Hold on now... He hit a HR??

REALLY???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Apparently Puig has been claimed off waivers by an unknown team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

*Please don't be Red Sox please don't be Red Sox please don't be Red Sox*

:o

Betcha it's the marlins

Betcha it's the marlins

I imagine it's a NL team alright. They all have first dibs of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Hold on now... He hit a HR??

REALLY???

He's a really well built guy with a short compact swing. There is no doubt if he gets fastballs he will put them over the wall.

No deal done so it looks like he's staying a Dodger (for now anyway)

TimRiggins wrote: »

If only they'd won the WS last year. That would have been beyond spooky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

No deal done so it looks like he's staying a Dodger (for now anyway)

Yeah looks way. All very shrouded in mystery though.

In other news, the A's have sent Coco Crisp to the Indians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Whats the story with Puig, thought he was a star :confused:

Charizard wrote: »
    Whats the story with Puig, thought he was a star :confused:

He's back on the major league roster now anyway so he has a chance to redeem himself anyway.

Yoan Moncada called up. Big prospect this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

He's back on the major league roster now anyway so he has a chance to redeem himself anyway.
    Did he throw a huff or something, I checked on google all I read was he was being disruptive

Charizard wrote: »
    Did he throw a huff or something, I checked on google all I read was he was being disruptive

He wasn't playing well that's the main thing. Teams will put up with divas if they're hitting.

Bumgarner v Kershaw will be the pitching match up on Friday if Rotation remains unchanged. Tasty.

Bumgarner v Kershaw will be the pitching match up on Friday if Rotation remains unchanged. Tasty.

Dodgers are playing Miami on Friday. Did you mean Fernandez?

Dodgers are playing Miami on Friday. Did you mean Fernandez?

No misread this tweet

https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/772498054486167552

Hopefully it happens twice.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it happens twice.

Bumgarner always seems to go long against Kershaw too which is strange.

Just watching the Mets v Reds and Wilmer Flores is going for the wrong kind of cycle. Thrown out at second trying to turn a single into a double in the first and now thrown out at third trying to turn a double into a triple with his second at bat. I wonder has anyone ever been thrown out at all 4 bases in the one game...???

EDIT - Now he has a 'thrown out a first' too although it was as a baserunner on a line drive hit straight to Joey Votto so not really his fault this time. So just the one at home now for the cycle!

I think RA Dickey should call it quits. His starts are now almost a guaranteed loss. And he has the luxury of a personal catcher who can't hit snow off a rope. So infuriating.

I think RA Dickey should call it quits. His starts are now almost a guaranteed loss. And he has the luxury of a personal catcher who can't hit snow off a rope. So infuriating.

It's a shame though. There's nothing better than watching batters looking totally lost when the knuckleball is on. I haven't watched too many of his starts this year but from what you're saying, it's not on much anymore is it?

He's seems like a nice bloke too. How many years left on the contract?

It's a shame though. There's nothing better than watching batters looking totally lost when the knuckleball is on. I haven't watched too many of his starts this year but from what you're saying, it's not on much anymore is it?

He's seems like a nice bloke too. How many years left on the contract?

Think it's finished this year AFAIK, but yeah, earlier in the season he didn't get much run support though. But yeah he has been poor. He does keep good control of the diamond though, something Stroman is seriously lacking.

How many years left on the contract?

This is it for him. There's a team option for next year but they definitely won't pick it up. He didn't make last year's playoff roster and if the Jays make it this year he won't be on it again.

His knuckleball doesn't dance anymore, at all. He's given up so many homers this year it's like BP for the hitters. Isn't he near 40 now? Time to retire.

This is it for him. There's a team option for next year but they definitely won't pick it up. He didn't make last year's playoff roster and if the Jays make it this year he won't be on it again.

His knuckleball doesn't dance anymore, at all. He's given up so many homers this year it's like BP for the hitters. Isn't he near 40 now? Time to retire.

Sorry to see that, but it's sports, this is how they go out. Dickey really persevered in life and baseball. And was part of one of the best trades ever for the Mets, though I know I was hugely against it when it happened, liked Dickey a lot, followed him from Seattle to NYC when we moved (and thence on to west Kerry).

Jack, spot on about Flores, the 'out' cycle. He's not really that fast. Still, with SF losing 3 teams are within a game of the wild card in the NL, woo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Whats up with the Giants? They have completely imploded since the All Star break, but they have that team that I wouldn't want to meet in the playoffs, if they turn it around they could yet win it all but at the moment they don't look like they can string two wins together.

Loved watching the knuckleball dance but he has struggled this year. To be fair to him though the bats didn't help him much this year and he was facing a red hot Yankee line up in this weeks loss.

Whats up with the Giants? They have completely imploded since the All Star break, but they have that team that I wouldn't want to meet in the playoffs, if they turn it around they could yet win it all but at the moment they don't look like they can string two wins together.

Batting .099 in September, 16/161 :eek:

8-10 wrote:
    Batting .099 in September, 16/161

Ouch! And I thought Toronto's hitters were scuffling of late. That puts it in perspective. Wow.

Over 3000 hits for Ichiro and he just hit his first pinch hit HR. Strange how there's still a 'first time' for a guy with so many hits.

Surprised to see Stanton back with the Marlins as well. I thought he was done for the year. They say he's only going to pinch hit for the time being though but still a quick recovery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement