Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Surprised to see Stanton back with the Marlins as well. I thought he was done for the year. They say he's only going to pinch hit for the time being though but still a quick recovery.
    Better baseball through chemistry :D

ugh watching the Jays has not been fun the last week. Hopefully somehow get back in form for the weekend series against the Red Sox or they could pull away a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ugh watching the Jays has not been fun the last week. Hopefully somehow get back in form for the weekend series against the Red Sox or they could pull away a bit

It just seems to be one tough series after the next in the ALE doesn't it?

Strasburg lifted in the third in his first game back off the DL. Do you reckon they are being ultra, ultra careful or is it something serious? As I said before, the 1-2-3 of Scherzer, Strasburg and Roark is a pretty good trio to have in the playoffs but thrown in Gonzalez or whoever and they won't be as feared as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Stras is done for the year from what I heard last night but thats probably just hysteria that came from the locker room heat of the moment stuff.

Either way our rotation needs him in the playoffs, going to struggle without him.

Yeesh. Why my team:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/773845725297774592

Tebow signs minor league deal with the Mets. I actually saw this clown play QB for the Jets in a game.

Always the Mets get bad publicity, always. Unbelievable. *headslap*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Igotadose wrote: »
    Yeesh. Why my team:

Tebow signs minor league deal with the Mets. I actually saw this clown play QB for the Jets in a game.

Its not a terrible move. He's the dedication to become a proficient outfielder with above average arm strength and good power to all parts of the field. If he can improve on the off speed stuff and pitch selection he could become decent.

Yeesh. Why my team:

FFS. That's all we need.

FFS. That's all we need.

Jesus jack, your going to make the playoffs and Tebow is a good story if it works out! Whats with all the negatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

When i heard this all i could think of was this extra publicity affecting
    the team making the playoffs

• Advertisement

Jesus jack, your going to make the playoffs and Tebow is a good story if it works out! Whats with all the negatives?

As Krusty says, It's all about him getting attention for himself (he mysteriously signed an endorsement deal the day after his workout last week) and it could be a distraction, not only this season but Spring Training is going to be a circus now. That;s the last thing we need.

If he was as keen on playing as he says he is, why did he leave it until the end of the season to work out? He could have easily joined an independent league and shown what he can do there. He could have signed up for winter ball in Venezuela or Mexico. But the media story wouldn't have been as dramatic so he wasn't going to do that.

He's an attention seeking drama queen and he has no chance of making it to the majors. He might sell a few tickets in Port St. Lucie or wherever it is they send him. I can also see a 'reality show' being announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

They'll snap out of it, don't worry. All teams go through slumps.

As Krusty says, It's all about him getting attention for himself (he mysteriously signed an endorsement deal the day after his workout last week) and it could be a distraction, not only this season but Spring Training is going to be a circus now. That;s the last thing we need.

If he was as keen on playing as he says he is, why did he leave it until the end of the season to work out? He could have easily joined an independent league and shown what he can do there. He could have signed up for winter ball in Venezuela or Mexico. But the media story wouldn't have been as dramatic so he wasn't going to do that.

He's an attention seeking drama queen and he has no chance of making it to the majors. He might sell a few tickets in Port St. Lucie or wherever it is they send him. I can also see a 'reality show' being announced.

I dont agree I think he genuinely is giving it a shot because he wants to be a professional athlete. I also think he will make it to the big leagues. His swing is good. Compact and powerful.

I dont agree I think he genuinely is giving it a shot because he wants to be a professional athlete. I also think he will make it to the big leagues. His swing is good. Compact and powerful.

To be fair, we all want to be professional athletes but the rest of us know when we're not good enough. I read some of the scouts reports from his workout and yeah he has power but apparently he couldn't hit the off speed stuff and was consistently chasing stuff out of the zone. If it takes the rest of professional players years and years of taking pitches to get to know when to awing and when to take, I doubt he'll be able to do it in the short time he's probably given himself. Michael Jordan hit around .200 in AA. I'd be surprised if Tebow did that good.

Good to see Tebow taking his new job seriously.....

https://twitter.com/nydnsports/status/773919566770630656

Good to see Tebow taking his new job seriously.....

https://twitter.com/nydnsports/status/773919566770630656

Wasn't enough I had to endure this gobsh1te on the Jets, the Mets are in a key stretch of the season and they're getting asked about this joke right now.

Well, hopefully it's not a distraction, Braves this weekend then Washington, win both series and the playoff chances go way up, but they're far from decided. Hence no wild card postings yet from me, heheh...

Stras is done for the year from what I heard last night but thats probably just hysteria that came from the locker room heat of the moment stuff.

Either way our rotation needs him in the playoffs, going to struggle without him.

No structural damage so it looks like he might have dodged the bullet there. They say he's not done for the year but probably another DL stint on the cards I'd say.

Strasburg lifted in the third in his first game back off the DL. Do you reckon they are being ultra, ultra careful or is it something serious? As I said before, the 1-2-3 of Scherzer, Strasburg and Roark is a pretty good trio to have in the playoffs but thrown in Gonzalez or whoever and they won't be as feared as much.

Seems serious per all the reports. Forearm strain, out indefinitely. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/200255990/stephen-strasburg-sidelined-by-forearm-injury/

Gonzalez used to be lights out, always tough on the Mets. I think he'll hold his own should they make the playoffs (Mets optimism leaking through there.)

Seems serious per all the reports. Forearm strain, out indefinitely. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/200255990/stephen-strasburg-sidelined-by-forearm-injury/

Gonzalez used to be lights out, always tough on the Mets. I think he'll hold his own should they make the playoffs (Mets optimism leaking through there.)

Should they? Nats 100% in the playoffs, just a matter of how long we stay there.

Jack - On Tebow, if he wants to make it he needs to be there all the time days off for SEC a joke. I think he has a much better more compact swing that Jordan. He is better suited to baseball physically than Jordan was, it was hard for Jordan's length to get through the zone quick enough apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Yankees getting hot at the right time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

MoyVilla9 wrote:
    Yankees getting hot at the right time!

Ssshhh..

Just got a pair of free tickets for Jays - Sox tomorrow:D

Wake up, Manchester Derby, go out for brunch, watch a high intensity baseball game in a packed stadium, get ****faced.

Great Saturday lineup!

Should they? Nats 100% in the playoffs, just a matter of how long we stay there.

Jack - On Tebow, if he wants to make it he needs to be there all the time days off for SEC a joke. I think he has a much better more compact swing that Jordan. He is better suited to baseball physically than Jordan was, it was hard for Jordan's length to get through the zone quick enough apparently.

Hey, I'm intimately familiar with teams blowing 7 game leads with 17 to go :) 8 with 21 is doable!

Of course the Nats are in; they don't go into long slumps and still have one of the top rotations in the MLB even with Gonzalez scuffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Wake up, Manchester Derby, go out for brunch, watch a high intensity baseball game in a packed stadium, get ****faced.

Great Saturday lineup!

I was just behind home plate for that sh!t show last night. Getting worried now. Need a W today.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I was just behind home plate for that sh!t show last night. Getting worried now. Need a W today.

I hate hyperbole but that has to rank as the one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Jays team in one game. The pitching was awful, they couldn't hit and the so-called defense? Yikes.

I don't know, they look dispirited, almost disinterested. They'd want to turn it around fast because if they're not careful they could miss the playoffs.

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    I don't know, they look dispirited, almost disinterested.

That's a bit worrying for a team in a playoff race. If you can't get up for meaningful games in September, there's something wrong.

Favourable matchup today I'll be interested to see how they get on.

That's a bit worrying for a team in a playoff race. If you can't get up for meaningful games in September, there's something wrong.

Uh oh, news coming out of the dreaded (by the fans) 'players-only' meeting. Oh to be a fly on the wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I'm on holidays in the Bay Area & will be heading to the A's game soon. Was going to go tomorrow but when I seen King Felix as the probable starter I decided today was the day. Will bring my camera, if I get some good shots I'll post them here. Have tickets for the Giants game on Monday night as well

Uh oh, news coming out of the dreaded (by the fans) 'players-only' meeting. Oh to be a fly on the wall!

Seems to have worked so far...!!! And they seem to have transferred the dodgy defence over to Boston.

Seems to have worked so far...!!! And they seem to have transferred the dodgy defence over to Boston.

It got tight in the end and was a decent watch for the neutral. Probably not a comfortable watch for Toronto fans towards the end but Osuna was pretty hyped up in the 9th.

WC races definitely tightening up now. I don't know if Miami and Pittsburgh at 5 games back are still realistically in it but stranger things have happened but it's more than likely 2 from the Mets/Cards/Giants in the NL.

The AL is a mess (in a good way). At least 5 and maybe even up to 7 teams still in with a shout.

Plenty of runs in the game Coeus was at yesterday. Hopefully, he got some good shots.

• Advertisement

Crazy stat of the day: 10 AL teams are now 5+ games over .500. Wow!

Speaking of crazy. The Giants had a reliever pitch to one batter, play LF for the following AB, then come back to the mound to pitch. The NL is a crazy league. As an almost exclusively AL follower it constantly makes me shake my head!

Crazy stat of the day: 10 AL teams are now 5+ games over .500. Wow!

Speaking of crazy. The Giants had a reliever pitch to one batter, play LF for the following AB, then come back to the mound to pitch. The NL is a crazy league. As an almost exclusively AL follower it constantly makes me shake my head!

Joe Madden did something similar in an extra innings game earlier in the season. He had 2 pitchers playing at the one time (one pitching and one in the outfield) and he switched between the two depending on who was batting.

I'd say 2/3 in the NL and 2/4 in the AL. 5.5 back with 20 odd games left is highly improbable for Pitts and Miami. I think even Hou and Sea have left it too late but stranger things have happened as you say.

Ball is flying out of the Rogers Centre right now 8-7 Jays in the 5th

Grand slam from Tulo, 2 homers for Edwin

Ball is flying out of the Rogers Centre right now 8-7 Jays in the 5th

Grand slam from Tulo, 2 homers for Edwin

Best game of baseball i've seen this year yet.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Best game of baseball i've seen this year yet.

I'm more of a fan of low scoring pitching duels but every now and then I do like a 'you score, we score' back and forth one.

Hard to keep up with everything this evening with the NFL being back in full swing.

I'm more of a fan of low scoring pitching duels.

Yeah I'm the same, I love fast pitching duels. I think this Jays-Sox game is awful. And so long. :(

13 relievers so far, top of the 8th, with no doubt more to come. Ridiculous.

13 relievers so far, top of the 8th, with no doubt more to come. Ridiculous.

What time did that game start at?

What time did that game start at?

• Advertisement

That's a long game. 19 pitchers in all. Crazy use of the bullpens. I heard some were giving out about the September rosters expanding. They have something to back up their argument after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Plenty of runs in the game Coeus was at yesterday. Hopefully, he got some good shots.
    Yes, King Felix was good not great but he didn't really need to be as the A's didn't really bat or pitch well. Had a really good seat in the nearly behind home plate which I got for less than half price on stubhub. During garbage time I was able to move to front row directly behind home plate :)

Hopefully some pics are attached with this post...

That's a long game. 19 pitchers in all. Crazy use of the bullpens. I heard some were giving out about the September rosters expanding. They have something to back up their argument after that.

Yeah it was a joke at one stage. Seemed to be changing pitchers after every AB.

Jays showed alot of heart though and the mood is far different then it was leaving the ballpark Friday night. A sweep of the Angels would be a nice platform to make the playoffs. Sox at Orioles and Yankees this week so a real chance to get 1st place back.

You say that like it's a foregone conclusion. They'd want to get their act together to even win the series. The way they're playing they'll be lucky if they're not swept themselves!

You say that like it's a foregone conclusion. They'd want to get their act together to even win the series 2-1. The way they're playing they'll be lucky if they're not swept themselves!

Never meant it to sound like a foregone conclusion. It's obviously fairly unlikely. I messed up, its the Rays first anyway who we've been awful against this year.

TimRiggins wrote:
    Never meant it to sound like a foregone conclusion. It's obviously fairly unlikely. I messed up, its the Rays first anyway who we've been awful against this year.

I messed up too, it's 4 games vs the Angels, not 3. I think a series win vs the Rays is paramount and it would be nice to take 4 or 5 out of 7 on the West coast swing while our division rivals beat eachother up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I messed up too, it's 4 games vs the Angels, not 3. I think a series win vs the Rays is paramount and it would be nice to take 4 or 5 out of 7 on the West coast swing while our division rivals beat eachother up.

Blue Jays @ Mariners is shaping up to be a big series for both teams.

Toronto obviously had enough yesterday so played a 2:15 game today!

Toronto obviously had enough yesterday so played a 2:15 game today!

It fair flew by alright. No-hitter going through 6 in the Cubs game if anyone wants to tune in.

• Advertisement

No-hitter going through 6 in the Cubs game if anyone wants to tune in.

With the Mets getting trounced in Washington, long may it continue! Need the Cards to keep losing.

Advertisement