Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

With the Mets getting trounced in Washington, long may it continue! Need the Cards to keep losing.

Latos was god yesterday, thankfully just hamstrign tightness seen him come out of the game. Great to see a pitcher hit a home on his debut for a new club too! He'll be needed in the playoffs.

Jack, you guys going to keep Jose? I love how the guy plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jack, you guys going to keep Jose? I love how the guy plays.

They have an option on him for next year with Colorado picking up the tab so I'd say it's fairly safe to say he'll be back. He's not vintage Jose anymore but he has added some life and a bit of much needed speed on the bases so he has been a decent pick up (wife beating aside of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

They have an option on him for next year with Colorado picking up the tab so I'd say it's fairly safe to say he'll be back. He's not vintage Jose anymore but he has added some life and a bit of much needed speed on the bases so he has been a decent pick up (wife beating aside of course).

Yeah his production has been good for you guys though and he will be dangerous in the playoffs if you make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeah his production has been good for you guys though and he will be dangerous in the playoffs if you make it.

Next year Neil Walker'll be gone; he was on the way to a great season and is FA in 2017, but his serious back injury definitely derailed him.

Should've signed Murphy, though that probably would have meant not signing Cespedes. Should've signed both of them :)

Mets need both Reyes and Flores in the lineup as they both are good for the offense. I can see an infield of Flores/Reyes/Cabrera and either Loney, or Duda if he makes it back healthy. There aren't great options on the FA market on the infield. Loney's a FA and actually has the highest average of the 1b candidates, definitely provides solid defense. Memories of Duda's throw in the 2015 WS come to mind...

A lot does depend on David Wright's return. He's under contract for big bucks through 2020(!). They won't cut him, but back-to-back major surgeries on his back & neck, well, he might simply retire. If he can't produce at a high level he might, but I expect he'll make a go of it in the spring.

And of course the team must sign Cespedes. Must must must.

Last night's game was sad, but nothing happened viz. the WC positioning. Rafael Montero simply can't pitch at the ML level yet, perhaps never. Walked in 2 runs in the 1st and gave up a no-doubter to the opposing pitcher. I doubt we see him in a meaningful game again till Spring Training 2017.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Next year Neil Walker'll be gone; he was on the way to a great season and is FA in 2017, but his serious back injury definitely derailed him.

Should've signed Murphy, though that probably would have meant not signing Cespedes. Should've signed both of them :)

Mets need both Reyes and Flores in the lineup as they both are good for the offense. I can see an infield of Flores/Reyes/Cabrera and either Loney, or Duda if he makes it back healthy. There aren't great options on the FA market on the infield. Loney's a FA and actually has the highest average of the 1b candidates, definitely provides solid defense. Memories of Duda's throw in the 2015 WS come to mind...

A lot does depend on David Wright's return. He's under contract for big bucks through 2020(!). They won't cut him, but back-to-back major surgeries on his back & neck, well, he might simply retire. If he can't produce at a high level he might, but I expect he'll make a go of it in the spring.

And of course the team must sign Cespedes. Must must must.

Last night's game was sad, but nothing happened viz. the WC positioning. Rafael Montero simply can't pitch at the ML level yet, perhaps never. Walked in 2 runs in the 1st and gave up a no-doubter to the opposing pitcher. I doubt we see him in a meaningful game again till Spring Training 2017.

Terry getting ripped again for not pulling him after one. Timing not good with Wally Backman quitting yesterday as he was seen as there next man up and especially after the Flores incident on Saturday. Managers cant win in those situations though. But at least that's the end of Montego anyway.

I'd like to see David Wright retire. Like most players though he's stubborn and will want to go on but he can't play at the top level anymore so it would be nice if he could see that and accept some buy out that puts him on the coaching staff or something so he can still be involved with the club but they need his salary to pay for Cespedes. He cannot be allowed talk to other clubs and needs to be locked up.

• Advertisement

Following on from the Red Sox/Blue Jays 'let everyone pitch' game on Sunday...

https://twitter.com/buster_espn/status/775697626532544513

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Mariners have now won 7 in a row.

Taijuan Walker had a perfect game into 6th, a nono into 7th, ended up with a three hit shutout. Seth Smith hit his second grand slam of the season.

2.5 games out of the wild card now.

Mariners have now won 7 in a row.

Taijuan Walker had a perfect game into 6th, a nono into 7th, ended up with a three hit shutout. Seth Smith hit his second grand slam of the season.

2.5 games out of the wild card now.

They've sneaked into the race alright. Some great games this afternoon involving teams in the playoff race.

They've sneaked into the race alright. Some great games this afternoon involving teams in the playoff race.

Thanks for the heads up, Jack! Cubs/Cards at 5:30 Ireland, Mets/Nats at 9p.m., Yankees/Dodgers...

• Advertisement

A win tonight would leave the Nats needing just 8 more to guarantee the Division title :)

2017 schedules released today if anyone's planning a trip.

Probably won't be doing one myself as I have a big family trip planned but if that falls through a mid May trip to NY would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Bluejays lose to the Rays 8-1, drop 4 series in a row and fall to 3-9 in September. Worrying form.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Bluejays lose to the Rays 8-1, drop 4 series in a row and fall to 3-9 in September. Worrying form.

Josh Donaldson going for an MRI for his wonky hip is worrying too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

TimRiggins wrote:

They're in a serious tailspin with little time to level out and start climbing. They either figure it out fast or they'll miss out on the playoffs.

As for JD - no team is a one-man band.

Josh Donaldson going for an MRI for his wonky hip is worrying too.

He was on a major slump anyway - 0 for 23.

mod9maple wrote: »
    They're in a serious tailspin with little time to level out and start climbing. They either figure it out fast or they'll miss out on the playoffs.

They are in danger of being caught by the Yankees now - if Yankees win today, they'll only be one game behind.

Yeah I think we missed Martin more at the minute as he's probably been or best hitter over the last month or so.

They just seem incapable to play short ball at the minute.

No one wants to win the NL WC. 3 teams, 3 defeats today, 1 run scored between them.

How long do you reckon this guy would last in the majors before he got drilled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

His 1st at Bat... Hop off him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

2017 schedules released today if anyone's planning a trip.

Probably won't be doing one myself as I have a big family trip planned but if that falls through a mid May trip to NY would be nice.
    After my recent trip I know I'm out already...the US is not so cheap anymore and then there is exchange rate.

I was shocked the concession prices at the Coliseum and AT&T...$10 dollars for a local beer. Closer to $12 for a craft brew and at AT&T they were served in smallish glasses. Even a small soft drink was $5 odd...such things were definitely cheaper 5 years ago when I was last over.

Coeus wrote: »
    After my recent trip I know I'm out already...the US is not so cheap anymore and then there is exchange rate.

I was shocked the concession prices at the Coliseum and AT&T...$10 dollars for a local beer. Closer to $12 for a craft brew and at AT&T they were served in smallish glasses. Even a small soft drink was $5 odd...such things were definitely cheaper 5 years ago when I was last over.

Yeah, I found it very dear when I was there in May. I was paying the same $10-12 a beer at CitiField. You put up with paying that when the exchange rate is $1.30 or whatever it was a few years back but it's a killer at the moment.

Betances showed again last night why I don't rate him.. He just hasn't got the right stuff to be a closer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yeah, I found it very dear when I was there in May. I was paying the same $10-12 a beer at CitiField. You put up with paying that when the exchange rate is $1.30 or whatever it was a few years back but it's a killer at the moment.

I remember paying something like $18 for a famed 'Dodger Dog', chips, and water. The Dodger Dog is probably the most disappointing hot dog I ever had.

Also had to leave the stadium early that day and missed a walk off grand slam :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

So the Cubs are the first over the finish line and into October. I'm not really sure who I would want to face in the Playoffs: Mets won in a sweep last year, the Cards because well... it's the Cards and it's an even year so the Giants have to be contenders.

It's likely the Dodgers in the NL West who I'm sure would like to sign off Vin Scully's career with a World Series and then the Nats who are looking very strong this year.

Going to be a tough October!

tallpaul wrote: »
    So the Cubs are the first over the finish line and into October. I'm not really sure who I would want to face in the Playoffs: Mets won in a sweep last year, the Cards because well... it's the Cards and it's an even year so the Giants have to be contenders.

It's likely the Dodgers in the NL West who I'm sure would like to sign off Vin Scully's career with a World Series and then the Nats who are looking very strong this year.

Going to be a tough October!

Exciting times ahead indeed. At least the Cubs can start resting players and setting up their rotation to the way they want. No matter who they face in the first round, it'll tough. As you said, the Giants and Cardinals have pedigree and the Mets swept them last season (albeit with a much better squad - and Daniel Murphy!) and there'll be all the pressure that comes with the 100+ years and talk of the curse etc. Joe Madden seems like the guy who'll be able to deflect most of the crap though and it wouldn't surprise me if he did something outrageous to get the focus on him and off the players.

I'm really looking forward to the Dodgers/Nats series though. Kershaw has struggled in the playoffs and the Nats as a team have done so too so there's pressure to perform on both of them too. Whether Strasburg is back and effective will be a big factor in that series. I know it's September and we haven't seen it since April/May but surely Harper will start to do Harper things again...???

Cubs fans better hope for a Dodgers victory as Murph killed the Cubs almost single handily last season. He sees to like Wrigley!

Don't know what to make of the AL. Are Texas favourites? Cleveland? Whoever comes out of the ALE will be battle tested anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Betances showed again last night why I don't rate him.. He just hasn't got the right stuff to be a closer..

Big Papi and Ramirez were excellent at the end of the game. Monster hits from the players you rely on in big games.

Such a competitive division but hoping for a playoff spot as this team has a great blend of youth and experience and Ortiz deserves another pennant.

Terrific and fitting having the Yankees give Ortiz an honourable recognition on-field before he goes and passes Micky Mantle on the all-time HR list in the 8th inning with his (joint) longest bomb of the year!

David Ortiz - Yankee Killer

• Advertisement

Yeah he was very shaky against the Jays last week and nearly blew the save after was caught at the wall for a 3 run shot IIRC.

A Red Sox Cubs WS would be fantastic. Boston's pitching may let them down in the postseason though. They have 3 guys over 100 RBIs already though to go along with a deep batting lineup.

Mariners were well beaten by Astros. Hernandez had a bad outing (again) and is look less like the King this year. If Mariners were to make it the wildcard, based on current form, I'd sooner give the ball to Iwakuma (or maybe Walker depending on his next couple of starts).

Love to watch Bartolo Colon pitch, yet another fine start the guy's arguably the ace in terms of consistency. Not electric like Syndegaard, but Syndegaard goes into funks and hasn't learned to hold runners on. Plus he's got an arm issue he's working through.

Bart's a FA next year, I hope the Mets pick him up. Says he wants career win #246 to come with the Mets (he's now 14 away from that.) Possible if he's re-signed and pitches well next year. Got a few starts left this year, too. That'd put him as the all time leader for Latin American pitchers.

He's the current MLB wins leader with 232. If he passes 245, HOF is going to be in the discussion when his time comes.

Love to watch Bartolo Colon pitch, yet another fine start the guy's arguably the ace in terms of consistency. Not electric like Syndegaard, but Syndegaard goes into funks and hasn't learned to hold runners on. Plus he's got an arm issue he's working through.

Bart's a FA next year, I hope the Mets pick him up. Says he wants career win #246 to come with the Mets (he's now 14 away from that.) Possible if he's re-signed and pitches well next year. Got a few starts left this year, too. That'd put him as the all time leader for Latin American pitchers.

He's the current MLB wins leader with 232. If he passes 245, HOF is going to be in the discussion when his time comes.

He made a couple of nice plays in the field last night too! He's more athletic than a man of his size should be. I'd love him to stay for next year too and I think he's keen on coming back too. As this year has shown, you can never have enough starting pitching and with Harvey uncertain and God only knows where Wheeler will be, it's a no brainier to resign him in my opinion. He's been the Mets MVP this season.

I think his PED suspension will rule him out of HOF discussion though.

Mariners were well beaten by Astros. Hernandez had a bad outing (again) and is look less like the King this year. If Mariners were to make it the wildcard, based on current form, I'd sooner give the ball to Iwakuma (or maybe Walker depending on his next couple of starts).

A bit of daylight in the AL WC standings now. Is this the first time there's been a 3 game lead in a while? The ALE teams will continue to take games off each other though so Detroit and Seattle (and less so Houston) are still in it.

theScore app has a great article called '10 statistical oddities of 2016' I'd recommend. Some pretty mind blowing stuff.

• Advertisement

Bizarrely Colon has been the healthiest pitcher they've had all season. Especially with the breaking news that Jacob deGrom is heading for surgery and done for the year. I don't understand the Mets medical staff. Only yesterday they announced he was coming back and pitching tomorrow. Now they're shutting him down and sending him for surgery.

Yankees trying their best to throw away another victory.

And they did.. I know we all agreed that they weren't gonna make the playoffs but yet it's so frustrating when they've played so well to be competitive and throw it away on silly mistakes..

I can't wait to see the team next season because the potential is there..

Watch them sweep the Bluejays and the Orioles now.

Boston keep finding a way to win. They'll be hard stopped for the AL if they keep it going. Big Papi is bound to have a great postseason too.

Bumgarner v Kershaw definitely the match up of the day today but Toronto @ Seattle is probably the most intriguing series.

• Advertisement

Toronto @ Seattle is probably the most intriguing series.

The Jays are sinking fast. I fear they could lose out on a WC spot. They're not playing at all well. After Seattle, they have the Yankees and Os at home and then the Red Sox at Fenway.

Pitchers heating up over the years

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/777943798269808644

Pitchers heating up over the years

That's quite the leap. I wonder is there a rational explanation for it or should we suspect something more sinister?

That's quite the leap. I wonder is there a rational explanation for it or should we suspect something more sinister?

It really is. Over a tenfold increase in 8 years is something alright.

More evidence of the real reason for Tebow wanting to try his hand at baseball.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17586582/new-york-mets-sell-tim-tebow-jerseys-former-qb-begins-pro-baseball-career

It really is. Over a tenfold increase in 8 years is something alright.

I wonder what the Tommy John surgery increase is; I bet it tracks! Not 10x but it seems every pitcher's had it within the last 5 years.

Sigh. Thank goodness the Giants bullpen's blown 30 (!) saves. Syndegaard didn't have it last night, freakin' Freddie Freeman 3 hits, 2d coming of Larry Jones.

I wonder what the Tommy John surgery increase is; I bet it tracks! Not 10x but it seems every pitcher's had it within the last 5 years.

Sigh. Thank goodness the Giants bullpen's blown 30 (!) saves. Syndegaard didn't have it last night, freakin' Freddie Freeman 3 hits, 2d coming of Larry Jones.

You also have the handiest run in with Atlanta and Philly on the schedule. If the Mets don't make the playoffs it's entirely their own fault.

You also have the handiest run in with Atlanta and Philly on the schedule. If the Mets don't make the playoffs it's entirely their own fault.

For some reason (Freddie Freeman - the new Mets killer along with Daniel Murphy), the Mets have struggled all year against the Braves. They're 9-8 against them with 2 games left. There's no way they should have lost last night. Noah up against a guy who was 0-6 with an ERA around 8....!!! Hopefully just a blip and they get back on track tonight.

As igotadose says, thank God the SF bullpen is awful. If they had any relievers who could pitch, they'd probably be clear of the Dodgers, not scrapping it out for a WC spot.

A bit of daylight for Toronto too. Seattle needs to take the next 2 or that could be them done.

For some reason (Freddie Freeman - the new Mets killer along with Daniel Murphy), the Mets have struggled all year against the Braves. They're 9-8 against them with 2 games left. There's no way they should have lost last night. Noah up against a guy who was 0-6 with an ERA around 8....!!! Hopefully just a blip and they get back on track tonight.

As igotadose says, thank God the SF bullpen is awful. If they had any relievers who could pitch, they'd probably be clear of the Dodgers, not scrapping it out for a WC spot.

A bit of daylight for Toronto too. Seattle needs to take the next 2 or that could be them done.

I have a feeling the Royals could spin off 10 in a row and if they do then the plummeting Blue Jays or choking Orioles could come under pressure.

If the mets continue to struggle they could be under pressure because the Giants have San Diego and Colorado up next and finish with the Dodgers at home .. interesting times ahead.

.. interesting times ahead.

For you with your feet up nice and relaxed with a playoff spot secure....maybe. For the rest of us it's panic city!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement