Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think the A's rotation will let them down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

8-10 wrote: »
    I think the A's rotation will let them down

I think their rotation will be good enough to get to their bullpen, and their bullpen is looking good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Have MLB.tv fixed the clickable linescore giving away if the game went to extra innings or not, yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Mets were dreadful last night. Pitching staff no better than last year, and hitting is abysmal again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Have MLB.tv fixed the clickable linescore giving away if the game went to extra innings or not, yet?

As far as I know they haven't and when asked on the support forum, the reps just say that the feedback will be passed on. But nothing ever happens.

It's my biggest complaint about it. There might be a couple of other small issues but if they sorted this, it really would be the best sports streaming package out there in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Pablo Sandoval's rough start to the season continues...

https://vine.co/v/iTZPrgt5rmZ
    im pretty new to baseball. my Qustion is , Is this Guy Just alot of Hype? he hasnt been that impressive anytime i have seen him play.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mets were dreadful last night. Pitching staff no better than last year, and hitting is abysmal again.

Too small a sample size to be comparing last year's pitching with this year's but up until last night the pitching staff had the second lowest ERA in the league. Of course Matz' outing last night fecked that up but that's just one night. Even the bullpen has been pretty solid (again excluding last night) so no conclusions can be made at this stage in the season.

And yes, the hitting is awful (29th or 30th in most batting categories) but again way too early to be jumping off the ledge. Obviously 2-4 is not where I hoped they'd be a week into the season but wait until the end of April at least before giving up.

Hopefully Thor can settle down the ship tonight. He might need to pitch a shutout though!

im pretty new to baseball. my Qustion is , Is this Guy alot Just alot of Hype? he hasnt been that impressive anytime i have seen him play.

I wouldn't call it hype. It's just that he has a $90m contract and to date hasn't lived up to it. His weight's a big issue so there's a lot of media buzz about that and the fact that he lost his starting position but I don't think he's hyped too much.

Too small a sample size to be comparing last year's pitching with this year's but up until last night the pitching staff had the second lowest ERA in the league. Of course Matz' outing last night fecked that up but that's just one night. Even the bullpen has been pretty solid (again excluding last night) so no conclusions can be made at this stage in the season.

And yes, the hitting is awful (29th or 30th in most batting categories) but again way too early to be jumping off the ledge. Obviously 2-4 is not where I hoped they'd be a week into the season but wait until the end of April at least before giving up.

Hopefully Thor can settle down the ship tonight. He might need to pitch a shutout though!

They have the strangest stats!

Leading in team and individual ERA, or close to, and as you say down in the bunker for hitting. But they still managed to survive to October on that last year. Too many weak links to do the same again imho.

• Advertisement

They have the strangest stats!

Leading in team and individual ERA, or close to, and as you say down in the bunker for hitting. But they still managed to survive to October on that last year. Too many weak links to do the same again imho.

I have to disagree with you there. Managed to survive to October? They had the hottest offence in the league the past 2 months of the season and into October. Well beaten by a better team in the WS but winning the division by 7-8 games and sweeping the NLCS is hardly managing to survive.

What are the weak links do you think? Hitting so far obviously but that'll correct itself hopefully sooner rather than later. Last year they had awful offence until July as well remember. As long as players don't regress too much (Granderson for example) the offence should be as good as it was in the latter half of last season. Walker should hit as good as Murph too.

The one worry I have is David Wright. I think he's done but Wilmer should be able to slit in there and be an adequate replacement.

Zach Wheeler comes back in June/July too.

I still think the Nats will win the division but even after the bad start, there's no reason to think they won't be contending in September.

Well, last night was a bit of an eye opener. How often can they afford to start Matz? Thought there was a huge element of luck in his getting to throw in WS. Last night was more his real level possibly.

Well, last night was a bit of an eye opener. How often can they afford to start Matz? Thought there was a huge element of luck in his getting to throw in WS. Last night was more his real level possibly.

Ah come on, you're getting ridiculous now. You're writing off a guy who has made 7-8 starts in his career based on one performance? And it was his first start of the year. He was very good last season and there's no reason to believe he won't be again this year.

Ah come on, you're getting ridiculous now. You're writing off a guy who has made 7-8 starts in his career based on one performance? And it was his first start of the year. He was very good last season and there's no reason to believe he won't be again this year.

Fewest starts of any pitcher to throw in WS? Near enough I think.

It is dog eat dog, and he could be back in As pretty quickly. Their pitching was top class last year. Don't think Matz is any where near De Grom or Syndergard or Harvey.

Fewest starts of any pitcher to throw in WS? Near enough I think.

It is dog eat dog, and he could be back in As pretty quickly. Their pitching was top class last year. Don't think Matz is any where near De Grom or Syndergard or Harvey.

The fact that he started in the WS is irrelevant. He was the no 4 starter and his spot came up so he pitched. No big deal.

Of course he's not as good as the other 3 pitchers. But that's asking a lot. I bet a lot of other teams would love to have him as their no. 4 starter. He has more upside to downside definitely.

I wouldn't be sending him to Las Vegas yet! Who would you replace him with in the rotation? Gilmartin, Montero? Give me a break.

Fair enough.

Long time to go yet. Anyway, hitting remains the big problem. Not sure they can sort that one!

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Long time to go yet. Anyway, hitting remains the big problem. Not sure they can sort that one!

Yeah, hitting's the issue at the moment but as you say, there's a long time to go yet. People here are probably sick of me saying it at this stage but a week, even two is too short of time to be either panicking or proclaiming yourself the next '27 Yankees.

I think they will sort it out. I just hope we don't have to wait until May for them to do so.

Only new to forum so not au fait with peoples affiliations!

Soft spot for the Pirates myself.

I like this bashing of pitchers after 1 week. Let me join in!

The following pitchers should be demoted to Triple-A based on this season's performance:

Zack Grienke
    Adam Wainwright
    Chris Archer
    Cory Kluber
    Matt Harvey
    Gerrit Cole
    Jose Fernandez
    Carlos Carrasco

Oh and Craig Kimbrel needs to be relieved of his closing duties. :p

Only new to forum so not au fait with peoples affiliations!

Soft spot for the Pirates myself.

Welcome!

There's a good mix of teams supported here. I'm Mets as you can probably tell and there's another one of us here too. And he does think they're as good as the '27 Yankees....!!!!!

I'm probably missing a few but as far as I'm aware there are Yankees, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Cubs, Nats, Reds, Giants and Mariners fans that regularly post here. Sorry if I've missed anyone. There are also a few regular posters that even after a few years I've no idea who they follow.

The following pitchers should be demoted to Triple-A based on this season's performance:

Zack Grienke
    Adam Wainwright
    Chris Archer
    Cory Kluber
    Matt Harvey
    Gerrit Cole
    Jose Fernandez
    Carlos Carrasco

Can we give out the CY Young this week too?

David Phelps. NL CY Young 2016.

• Advertisement

Zack Grienke
    Adam Wainwright
    Chris Archer
    Cory Kluber
    Matt Harvey
    Gerrit Cole
    Jose Fernandez
    Carlos Carrasco

Yeah, point taken :mad:

Yeah, point taken :mad:

Was just having a bit of fun :)

It's that time of year for small sample sizes and overreactions - did it myself already with my fantasy team, dumped Shelby Miller and JT Realmuto yesterday after very poor first weeks. Miller is definitely not going to be that bad all through the rest of the year and Realmuto already punished me with a few hits last night after dropping him.

And I have Steven Matz in 2 teams so I'm definitely hoping his best is yet to come.

What's the fancies for tonight?

BP write up on Nicasio is one of cruellest. Pirates have the hitters though.

BP called that one right.

Early days but flaws showing in every pitching except, dareisayit, the Cubs of Chicago town. Get the goat :-)

Another bad night for Mets pending.

Another bad night for Mets pending.

Indeed it was. Can't keep wasting good pitching performances like that.

Hitters just look lost at the plate. Swinging at pitches in the dirt and then taking called strike threes down the middle of the plate.

Great to kick off the Yankees-Blue Jays games with a win this year. I'm quietly confident about a decent run this year for the Yanks. Castro over Stephen Drew is an improvement that is hard to quantify, and that bullpen....

Indeed it was. Can't keep wasting good pitching performances like that.

Hitters just look lost at the plate. Swinging at pitches in the dirt and then taking called strike threes down the middle of the plate.

Must be hugely frustrating for the pitchers. This time last year when they were struggling Granderson was doing enough to keep them up there. Not happening at moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not but.... (The Blink)

Betances and Miller have struck out 18 of the 25 Batters they've faced so far...

Really happy with how the Yankees have started overall

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not but.... (The Blink)

Betances and Miller have struck out 18 of the 25 Batters they've faced so far...

Really happy with how the Yankees have started overall

Very impressive but I would worry about the number of pitches being thrown in them cases. A few one-pitch pop ups would be nice. Especially since pitchers like Tanaka and Sabathia will only give you 5 or 6 innings.

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Very impressive but I would worry about the number of pitches being thrown in them cases. A few one-pitch pop ups would be nice. Especially since pitchers like Tanaka and Sabathia will only give you 5 or 6 innings.

Like everything in baseball it is about staying healthy but they'll have Chapman back to lessen the load in a couple of weeks time though so the 9th will be taken care of anyway.

Like everything in baseball it is about staying healthy but they'll have Chapman back to lessen the load in a couple of weeks time though so the 9th will be taken care of anyway.

I'm interested to see how the 6/7/8th innings are split up when Chapman is available

Must be hugely frustrating for the pitchers. This time last year when they were struggling Granderson was doing enough to keep them up there. Not happening at moment.

The problem is now that they're pushing it. They just got their first man on base today (woo hoo!!!) but he tried to push it into a double and got thrown out by miles.

They should score now.

No.

No.

They're never going to score again ha ha.....

They're never going to score again ha ha.....

:)

That Marlins pitcher obviously can't bunt so why they don't just let him swing the bat when he gets to two strikes. Blind squirrels finding the nut and all that.

• Advertisement

Cespedes....

13 innings by the starting pitchers over the past 2 games giving up one run and going to come away with nothing.

EDIT - I think my eyes are deceiving me. The Mets have scored a run. I repeat the Mets have scored a run.

Cespedes....

Rough afternoon for him alright. 3 strikeouts, then he nearly killed himself trying (and failing) to catch a ball by diving into the stands and to top it off he then gets drilled in the back.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/04/13/toronto-blue-jays-recall-pat-venditte

I can't remember much about his pitching the last time he was up but I remember being excited about the whole concept of an ambidextrous pitcher so it'll be interesting to see him again.

Whoooo! Dug it out.

There's still a second team in NYC :-)

Vogelsong for the Pirates!

Looks strange, but one of things that will win it for them.

• Advertisement

Get in!

100 win season for the Pirates of Pittsurgh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I can't remember much about his pitching the last time he was up but I remember being excited about the whole concept of an ambidextrous pitcher so it'll be interesting to see him again.

Came in during the 9th and got two outs with his right and one with his left. Very nice work. I hope he sticks with the big club, makes for a great option in the bullpen.

Pirates have had bases loaded, one out, twice already and not scored. Zimmerman.

Anyone else think they're going a bit ott with the amount of 'special jerseys' they're having this year?

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/04/13/mlb-jerseys-mothers-fathers-day-fourth-july-home-run-derby

Although I do love the retro HR Derby ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement