Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

All Marlins to wear 16 in tonight's game.

I hadn't seen this before but thought it was quite funny.

https://twitter.com/giancarlo818/status/780476961667817473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

All Marlins to wear 16 in tonight's game.

Number 16 is to retired its the first Marlins number to be retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Number 16 is to retired its the first Marlins number to be retired.
    Just watched the pre-game there...so sad!

Fair play to the Marlins. Gutsy performance coming out and winning after all theyve been through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Dee Gordon who was very close friends with the Fernandez homered on the Marlins first AB of the game. One of the most emotional moments i've seen watching sports. Hard to believe those guys were able to play that quality of Baseball game after a rollercoaster 24 hours. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Dee Gordon who was very close friends with the Fernandez homered on the Marlins first AB of the game. One of the most emotional moments i've seen watching sports. Hard to believe those guys were able to play that quality of Baseball game after a rollercoaster 24 hours. Fair play to them.

Gordon took the first pitch of the AB from the opposite side of the plate in tribute before switching and hitting the HR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

8-10 wrote: »
    Gordon took the first pitch of the AB from the opposite side of the plate in tribute before switching and hitting the HR

And was also wearing Fernandez's helmet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Super sad hearing about Fernandez, he seems very popular in the baseball community. So young

Torn ACL for Ramos of the Nats. I know Murph and Harper have little niggling injuries but the they'll be fine for the playoffs but this is a big blow.

And he's a free agent at the end of the season so bad for him personally too.

• Advertisement

Seems like Fernandez may win the Cy Young award.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Seems like Fernandez may win the Cy Young award.

I don't know if I agree with that. I understand the sentiment but I don't think emotions should get in the way of who should rightly get the award. I'm not really an advanced stat nerd but I don't think he's up there this season with Scherzer or Lester

I heard the guys on ESPN today talking about creating an award in his name for a young player that evokes the spirit of the game and I think that might be a better idea.

I don't know if I agree with that. I understand the sentiment but I don't think emotions should get in the way of who should rightly get the award. I'm not really an advanced stat nerd but I don't think he's up there this season with Scherzer or Lester

I heard the guys on ESPN today talking about creating an award in his name for a young player that evokes the spirit of the game and I think that might be a better idea.

Yeah a CY Young award is really something a Pitcher works all their lives to achieve and I think it's better to create an award in his name.

Classy touch by the Mets pitcher last night to throw Gordon a ball he could homer too.

Classy touch by the Mets pitcher last night to throw Gordon a ball he could homer too.

I read that today and had to do a double check. Ok, it looked like he mailed it in there but the Mets are in a tight WC race. Do they really want to be giving away a game with only 6 left?

I know it was fitting that the Marlins won the game and it a defeat this season that didn't annoy me like all the others usually do but I think the whole moment was tough for the Mets too and I think it was more that than Bartolo leaving a pitch to be hit.

I read that today and had to do a double check. Ok, it looked like he mailed it in there but the Mets are in a tight WC race. Do they really want to be giving away a game with only 6 left?

I know it was fitting that the Marlins won the game and it a defeat this season that didn't annoy me like all the others usually do but I think the whole moment was tough for the Mets too and I think it was more that than Bartolo leaving a pitch to be hit.

I think some things are bigger then Baseball though. Tight WC race or not. I don't think they went out intentionally to lose the game, But let a team have a homer after that happens is fine imo.

Gordon hasn't even hit a HR all year until that!

I think some things are bigger then Baseball though. Tight WC race or not. I don't think they went out intentionally to lose the game, But let a team have a homer after that happens is fine imo.

Gordon hasn't even hit a HR all year until that!

Yeah maybe.

Yeah maybe.

I feel for the Mets in this abit too because it's difficult circumstances to be in a tight WC race. Giants are still bound to drop games against Colorado and the Dodgers though so I think you'll be fine.

I feel for the Mets in this abit too because it's difficult circumstances to be in a tight WC race. Giants are still bound to drop games against Colorado and the Dodgers though so I think you'll be fine.

It's going to be tight. I'd love the Reds and Rockies to do us a favour and take a game or two off the Cards/Giants as I can't see the Mets going 5-0 down the stretch.

Being greedy, I'd love if the Mets could sew it up before the last game so Noah can pitch in the WC game. Otherwise they'll be stuck with Seth Lugo pitching!

It's going to be tight. I'd love the Reds and Rockies to do us a favour and take a game or two off the Cards/Giants as I can't see the Mets going 5-0 down the stretch.

Being greedy, I'd love if the Mets could sew it up before the last game so Noah can pitch in the WC game. Otherwise they'll be stuck with Seth Lugo pitching!

Atleast you're not playing the team below you in a 3 game series that could break your season! Would you rather a home game or Syndegaard pitching?

• Advertisement

Atleast you're not playing the team below you in a 3 game series that could break your season! Would you rather a home game or Syndegaard pitching?

I'd go with Noah I think. They'll probably be facing Bumgarner or Wainwright so I think going with your best pitcher supersedes having a home game. But let's wait until they get there before I start worrying about that...!!!

As for who they're playing, the Mets have a history of stinking it out when playing bad team down the stretch (including the Marlins in both '07 and '08). Team love being spoilers. Having said that I think the Pirates will be tough for the Cardinals and even though they'll probably be resting players and lining up their rotation for the playoffs, the Dodgers would probably love to see the back of the Giants so will probably do all they can to keep them out.

We'll see. Nervous few days ahead!

I'd go with Noah I think. They'll probably be facing Bumgarner or Wainwright so I think going with your best pitcher supersedes having a home game. But let's wait until they get there before I start worrying about that...!!!

As for who they're playing, the Mets have a history of stinking it out when playing bad team down the stretch (including the Marlins in both '07 and '08). Team love being spoilers. Having said that I think the Pirates will be tough for the Cardinals and even though they'll probably be resting players and lining up their rotation for the playoffs, the Dodgers would probably love to see the back of the Giants so will probably do all they can to keep them out.

We'll see. Nervous few days ahead!

Yeah same here man Jays/Orioles for the next 3 days. Series literally could go anyway. If the Orioles get hot they can really score runs but I expect the difference in the SP between them will let the Jays sneak 2 of 3.

Oh and Joaquin Beniot tore his calf muscle running out to the field during a brawl last night. Is likely out for the season. FFS.

Yeah same here man Jays/Orioles for the next 3 days. Series literally could go anyway. If the Orioles get hot they can really score runs but I expect the difference in the SP between them will let the Jays sneak 2 of 3.

I reckon both will get in but home field is still up for grabs.

I reckon both will get in but home field is still up for grabs.

Yeah they should, Unless either teams gets sweeped. If we're playing the O's I don't care really care where the game is. I may go if its in Toronto but we've played well at Camden Yards all year and probably better on the road in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Good win vs. Miami last night. Syndegaard pitched well. Bruce and Cespedes with no-doubters, lots of hitting this last week for the Mets, though not much pitching by either Phillies or Marlins. Lugo on the mound today, we'll see, just need him to keep it close for 5 innings.

Magic number vs. Cards is 4. Woot. Hopefully no worse than 3 tomorrow!

Feels like making the playoffs will be victory in itself after this absurd amount of injuries and underperformance vs. last year.

T. J. Rivera is postseason eligible. I have a feeling for at least the WC game Flores will be on the DL and Rivera on the team. When the Mets prevail in the WC game, then a somewhat tougher decision about the NLDS.

• Advertisement

Tim Tebow homers on the first pitch of his first professional AB.

Tim Tebow homers on the first pitch of his first professional AB.

This Tebow stuff is driving me mad already. I subscribe to a lot of Mets twitter news etc. and there's so much crap about him already and it's only the instructional league (where I learned yesterday that they don't even keep stats). Even yesterday my twitter feed was blowing up because he hit two single in an inter-squad game. An inter-squad game fro God's sake. Spring Training is going to be unbearable.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Good win vs. Miami last night. Syndegaard pitched well. Bruce and Cespedes with no-doubters, lots of hitting this last week for the Mets, though not much pitching by either Phillies or Marlins. Lugo on the mound today, we'll see, just need him to keep it close for 5 innings.

Magic number vs. Cards is 4. Woot. Hopefully no worse than 3 tomorrow!

Feels like making the playoffs will be victory in itself after this absurd amount of injuries and underperformance vs. last year.

T. J. Rivera is postseason eligible. I have a feeling for at least the WC game Flores will be on the DL and Rivera on the team. When the Mets prevail in the WC game, then a somewhat tougher decision about the NLDS.

I like Rivera. He was always overlooked for call ups as Reynolds, Campbell, Ty Kelly got called up before him yet he always seemed to have better stats. Apparently his defence was supposed to be a bit below par but I think he's done alright so far.

This Tebow stuff is driving me mad already. I subscribe to a lot of Mets twitter news etc. and there's so much crap about him already and it's only the instructional league (where I learned yesterday that they don't even keep stats). Even yesterday my twitter feed was blowing up because he hit two single in an inter-squad game. An inter-squad game fro God's sake. Spring Training is going to be unbearable.

You won't be complaining when he carries you to the World Series next year ;)

Another nice win vs. Marlins, magic number vs. STL is 2, might be 1 by the time the Mets play on Friday. Day off for travel, that's good too.
    Home field for the WC game is looking likely with a 1.5 game lead with 3 to play.

Jay Bruce is hitting a little. About time, but sluggers can go crazy for short periods, that'd be a huge plus, especially given how little he's contributed so far.

Bartolo Colon is apparently dealing with a tendon issue in his foot. Amazing. Every pitcher hurt to some degree.

• Advertisement

Red Sox clinch the division. And I'm off work for another few weeks. Got that playoff feeling!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Red Sox clinch the division. And I'm off work for another few weeks. Got that playoff feeling!

Do you think they have much chance of overhauling Texas for the best record? Or is home field advantage that big a deal in the playoffs?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you think they have much chance of overhauling Texas for the best record? Or is home field advantage that big a deal in the playoffs?

I don't know if home field is that important in the play offs. Obviously you'd prefer to play at home, of course you would but if in game one on the road you have your ace pitch like an ace is supposed to, that's a great way of swinging momentum your way.

I've a funny feeling that the Cubs will get knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs.
    No reasoning behind it, just think it might be the Cards representing the NL in the World Series

Andrew76 wrote: »

Lost 2 in a row but other than that we're in really good form and would be good to take that into the playoffs. I definitely put stock in home advantage so it would be nice to get.

Having said that Texas should see it out with a series v the Rays who are playing for nothing while Sox play a Toronto team looking to close out the Wildcard slot. And I would like to see Blue Jays do it.

Would be nice to end Yankees chances tonight, they were very much wildcard outsiders but still mathematically possible if they keep winning

I've a funny feeling that the Cubs will get knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs.
    No reasoning behind it, just think it might be the Cards representing the NL in the World Series

No chance. Cards'll be lucky to get into the postseason at all and survive the WC vs. the Mets.

Mets fans are looking forward to playing the Cubs again, got dissed last year by the Cub's owners and want some revenge.

Lost 2 in a row but other than that we're in really good form and would be good to take that into the playoffs. I definitely put stock in home advantage so it would be nice to get.

Having said that Texas should see it out with a series v the Rays who are playing for nothing while Sox play a Toronto team looking to close out the Wildcard slot. And I would like to see Blue Jays do it.

Would be nice to end Yankees chances tonight, they were very much wildcard outsiders but still mathematically possible if they keep winning

How do you feel about your pitching going into the Playoffs? I think it may hold ye back later on, Especially any games you have Price pitching in.

How do you feel about your pitching going into the Playoffs? I think it may hold ye back later on, Especially any games you have Price pitching in.

I think it's no worse than the 2013 pitching. The key thing will be out scoring the opposition and for that we need the bats of Betts, Ortiz, Pedroia, Bogaerts and Ramirez to be on point. You get your core batters hitting well and you'll have a chance. I'm bullish going into the games, I don't think there's a single AL team that you could say are significant favourites on paper v Red Sox. We're as good as the Rangers and the Indians.

I think unfortunately the strength right now is in the National League. Would absolutely love to see a Red Sox v Cubs WS as I presume most neutrals would want also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Tigers-Indians was called off due to rain, make up on Monday if needed. Interesting potential consequences for Tigers
    That includes the potential of playing at Atlanta on Sunday, heading back to Detroit for a makeup game on Monday, a potential Wild Card tiebreaker at Baltimore or Toronto on Tuesday, a Wild Card Game somewhere on Wednesday, then a Division Series opener somewhere on Thursday.

I think it's no worse than the 2013 pitching. The key thing will be out scoring the opposition and for that we need the bats of Betts, Ortiz, Pedroia, Bogaerts and Ramirez to be on point. You get your core batters hitting well and you'll have a chance. I'm bullish going into the games, I don't think there's a single AL team that you could say are significant favourites on paper v Red Sox. We're as good as the Rangers and the Indians.

I think unfortunately the strength right now is in the National League. Would absolutely love to see a Red Sox v Cubs WS as I presume most neutrals would want also

Watching Baseball Tonight it seems every wants a Cubs Sox World Series. Still be interesting to see Terry Francona come to Fenway in the Play Offs and Browns also play Patriots around then aswell. So a Cleveland Boston unless Sox get number one spot

I didn't think the Sox would top Al East maybe a wild card spot but past few weeks they have been playing well but its nice to have them in the playoffs after the past couple of years.

• Advertisement

Yeah you guys have nothing to fear in the AL anyway, while anything can happen, I do fancy you guys to win it. Would certainly be fitting for Ortiz to play his final game in the WS.

As for the Bluejays. Crowd of bottlers.

Cubs and Pirates tie a game for the first time in MLB since 2005. Going to be a couple of anomalies in the end of year tables as the Marlins/Braves game probably won't be made up either.

On the field, hopefully the Mets don't do a Mets and I hope they give me a stress free weekend and take care go business without any drama. Could have done without that dodgy call gifting St. Louis the win last night though!

The AL WC certainly got interesting with the rain out in Detroit last night. The Indians will probably mail that one in on Monday as they've lost a day's rest for their first playoff game. Will cause chaos if there's a game 163 needed.

Cubs and Pirates tie a game for the first time in MLB since 2005. Going to be a couple of anomalies in the end of year tables as the Marlins/Braves game probably won't be made up either.

On the field, hopefully the Mets don't do a Mets and I hope they give me a stress free weekend and take care go business without any drama. Could have done without that dodgy call gifting St. Louis the win last night though!

The AL WC certainly got interesting with the rain out in Detroit last night. The Indians will probably mail that one in on Monday as they've lost a day's rest for their first playoff game. Will cause chaos if there's a game 163 needed.

Mrs. Igotadose gave me this years first reminder today: "They do it to break your heart."

First playoffs start today - win this series vs. Philadelphia and they're in the WC game. Very clear goal, Phillies were dreadful last week but probably will be up for eliminating the Mets. Philly fans at home are bad news. So, the pressure is really on the Mets. I think they take care of business today at least, but you never know. Clinch by Saturday and that enables rest for Syndegaard for the WC start.

Will cause chaos if there's a game 163 needed.

Probably a long shot but there's a chance that Detroit could end up playing 6 games in 6 cities against 6 different teams.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/detroit-tigers-postseason-scheduling-doomsday-scenario-omg-what-miggy-mlb

Worth rooting for though.

A list of all the gifts given to David Ortiz. I think Baltimore's is the cleverest.

https://twitter.com/timbritton/status/781894472820936704

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

MLB.TV is free all weekend!

Ortiz can go f**k himself after that home run tonight as far as i'm concerned. Heartbreaker. Strong chance Jays don't make the Wildcard game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

TimRiggins wrote:
    Ortiz can go f**k himself after that home run tonight as far as i'm concerned. Heartbreaker. Strong chance Jays don't make the Wildcard game.

Bit extreme no harm to you. He's just doing his job, trying to win. Looks like Tigers and Orioles if Toronto dont stop this slide.

Woot! Mets magic number 1! Guaranteed at least a playoff game next week.

Stat that really impressed me about the Mets making the playoffs this year: Mets record in games started by Harvey, DeGrom and Matz, 3 of 4 of their big named pitchers this year (all are on the DL and back next year) is 29-34! Currently 12 games over .500 with 2 left to play.
    And Wheeler was due back (now not till next year) to replace Colon, who is 14-8.

Exciting as he makes the 9th, Familia will win the MLB saves title, might be the 1st Met to do that.

• Advertisement

Yep if they don't get it it's Big Papi's fault not their own.

Blue Jays had 13 batters left on base in the game, disgraceful that Ortiz contributed to that that from his DH position.

Then using his superpowers to make Russell Martin throw a routine throw to first out of play instead was just not fair. That error changed the game and was all Ortiz's fault.

He owes the whole city an apology

Advertisement