Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This Cleveland pitcher's been pretty good so far. Not bad for his 5th appearance or whatever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

This Cleveland pitcher's been pretty good so far. Not bad for his 5th appearance or whatever it is.

3 no-hit innings is good alright. Did anyone else read Bautista's quote? He said any pitcher Cleveland put on the mound would be terrified, or words to that effect. He doesn't look too scared to me Jose!

mod9maple wrote: »
    3 no-hit innings is good alright. Did anyone else read Bautista's quote? He said any pitcher Cleveland put on the mound would be terrified, or words to that effect. He doesn't look too scared to me Jose!

He looks about 12 too.

He looks about 12 too.

They now have 5 innings to keep the season alive. Tall order when your bats are freezing.

They now have 5 innings to keep the season alive. Tall order when your bats are freezing.

Miller will probably be pitching two of them too.

Miller will probably be pitching two of them too.

Yeah I think I'll head to bed. I'm on CET so it's half 11 here. This game's over as a contest I fear. Maybe they'll surprise me when I switch the Net on in the am.

Here comes the bullpen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Merrit leaves the game. What a display by him. Jose will keep his mouth shut in the future.

That looks to be that with Miller coming in.

Yeah I think I'll head to bed. I'm on CET so it's half 11 here. This game's over as a contest I fear. Maybe they'll surprise me when I switch the Net on in the am.

You never know. Stranger things have happened. I admit it doesn't look good though.

Miller, 1 pitch 2 outs. Inning over.

• Advertisement

As well as the pitching, I've been very impressed with Cleveland's defence tonight. Some very good plays.

Miller - 8 outs in about 21 pitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Good start to the 9th

In case anyone was disappointed they didn't show the moron on the field in the broadcast

http://deadspin.com/shirtless-idiot-on-the-field-attempts-to-inspire-a-blue-1787996228

Disappointed in the result but you have to be in awe at that pitching. It looked unfair at times.

First season following baseball, thoroughly enjoyed it. Great season from the Jays, really enjoyed watching most days and going to the Rogers Centre too. I don't think Jose will be offered a new deal but Edwin has to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Bautista has to be offered the qualifying offer though (if Blue Jays want compensation picks), which is ~$17 million this year. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cubs looking seriously good. Blue Jays shut out at home for the first time ever in the postseason.

Bautista has to be offered the qualifying offer though (if Blue Jays want compensation picks), which is ~$17 million this year. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Do they? I'm still not sure how the whole free agent thing works in baseball but everyone here is pretty sure that Bautista is leaving.

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Do they? I'm still not sure how the whole free agent thing works in baseball but everyone here is pretty sure that Bautista is leaving.

Yeah if a team is losing a player to free agency and they want a compensation pick in the first round of the draft, they have to offer the player a qualifying offer which is a one year contract for the average of the salary of the top 125 paid players from the previous season. This is $17.2 million for this year.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/3/7152673/mlb-qualifying-offers-rules-compensation-free-agency

Qualifying offers are still new (only around since 2011 I think) and only one has ever been accepted.

Yeah if a team is losing a player to free agency and they want a compensation pick in the first round of the draft, they have to offer the player a qualifying offer which is a one year contract for the average of the salary of the top 125 paid players from the previous season. This is $17.2 million for this year.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/3/7152673/mlb-qualifying-offers-rules-compensation-free-agency

Qualifying offers are still new (only around since 2011 I think) and only one has ever been accepted.

Ah I see I see, but it would be better for Bautista to leave so he'll get a longer contract elsewhere? Or he could gamble that he has a better year next year so teams will pay him more? Interesting.

If he is going anywhere his future lies as a DH so it'll have to be an AL team. He's a liability in LF now, where as Edwin is agood 1st baseman but he's not comfortable playing every day.

Will be following the offseason very closely anyway to see how everything works.

Also interesting that if a team signs a player who rejected a qualifying offer, they lose their pick in the draft (unless they were due to pick in the top 10) so some teams that value their draft picks are reluctant to go for these players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Fair play to Cleveland, beat 2 great teams to get to the WS. I think they match up well with either Dodgers or Cubs. Would love to see the Cubs and they have the edge with 2 games at home. But still...it's the Cubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

This.

Just about now is the time that some catastrophic piece of bad luck and misfortune is due to hit the Cubbies. You all know the drill: the contentious call, crazy play, weird fan interference, meteorite hitting Wrigley in the bottom of the ninth with a 3-0 count, bases loaded, no outs kind of thing.

Time yet.

In any event at least the Cubs bats have started to warm up again after what, 20-odd innings? Crucial for the Cubs to have Rizzo, Fowler and Bryant firing on all cylinders.

It also just struck me again: winning the Whole Thing is HARD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

If they handle Kershaw then it's their but if they don't tonight then you can expect, Hill, Janssen and Kershaw for game 7. Not a nice prospect!

• Advertisement

If they handle Kershaw then it's their but if they don't tonight then you can expect, Hill, Janssen and Kershaw for game 7. Not a nice prospect!

Apparently Maeda's going tonight and Kershaw in Game 6. The pressure's on the Cubs to win tonight because you don't want to be 3-2 down and facing Kershaw with your season on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Apparently Maeda's going tonight and Kershaw in Game 6. The pressure's on the Cubs to win tonight because you don't want to be 3-2 down and facing Kershaw with your season on the line.

I think that's a mistake by the Dodgers but perhaps Kershaw is tired after his exploits so far.

I think that's a mistake by the Dodgers but perhaps Kershaw is tired after his exploits so far.

Yeah it's a tough one. On one hand Kershaw on short rest tonight means he could probably throw an inning or two in any Game 7 but going on full rest tomorrow obviously increases their chances of winning that game but probably rules him out of pitching again the next day.

I suppose they believe that either Maeda or Hill will be able to stifle the Cubs in one of their games.

Yeah it's a tough one. On one hand Kershaw on short rest tonight means he could probably throw an inning or two in any Game 7 but going on full rest tomorrow obviously increases their chances of winning that game but probably rules him out of pitching again the next day.

I suppose they believe that either Maeda or Hill will be able to stifle the Cubs in one of their games.

Well Hill would be pitching game 7 anyway I think, so if Kershaw pitched today I would think he would have 3 days for game 7 and could potentially come out of the bullpen. But who knows I am sure the Dodgers are looking at doing whats best for the club and giving themselves the best chance. With he Cubs waking up last night though I wouldnt love Maeda's chances

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

People from Toronto must really hate Cleveland

• Advertisement

ESPN baseball commentators are a joke. Yesterday the Cubs were doomed because the bats were dead and there were in such a slump it would be too hard to get out of, today after one game with 10 runs they're rediscovered their mojo and there's nothing that can stop them from winning the world series.

He'll pitch game 6 and pitch from relief in Game 7. The man is a monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

He'll pitch game 6 and pitch from relief in Game 7. The man is a monster.

Hershisher did this in 1988. Randy Johnson when the Diamondbacks won the WS. There's no tomorrow, and the players know they may never get another chance at a WS ring. He earns crazy money for doing what he's trained all his life to do, I imagine he'd pitch every day if they asked him to.

Anyway, postseason is always dramatic. Baseball's great this way.

ESPN baseball commentators are a joke. Yesterday the Cubs were doomed because the bats were dead and there were in such a slump it would be too hard to get out of, today after one game with 10 runs they're rediscovered their mojo and there's nothing that can stop them from winning the world series.

Do ESPN have their own commentary or do they just syndicate the Fox Sports coverage?

Do ESPN have their own commentary or do they just syndicate the Fox Sports coverage?

Sorry I meant the talking heads on the radio today, not the actual game commentary. They do have radio rights but I don't know who shows up on that.

Cubs looking really good tonight though giving up more hits than they'd want to

8-10 wrote: »
    Cubs looking really good tonight though giving up more hits than they'd want to

Was surprised that Dodgers pitcher did well, It was their BP that lost it for them.

I hope the Cubs win though because I think them against the Indians would be an incredible World Series.

Was surprised that Dodgers pitcher did well, It was their BP that lost it for them.

I hope the Cubs win though because I think them against the Indians would be an incredible World Series.

Cubs Indians would be great but I would love a Game 7 so I hope we get a gem from Kershaw tomorrow night (and the bp doesn't blow it for him).

Cubs Indians would be great but I would love a Game 7 so I hope we get a gem from Kershaw tomorrow night (and the bp doesn't blow it for him).

I think we will get it too. A day of rest for the BP will be exactly what they need. However now that Russell is seeing the ball and hitting it , that Cubs line up is suddenly much scarier, Baez, Bryant and Rizzo connecting as well , yeah tough to stop this runaway train now but if anyone can it will be Kershaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Trying to stop myself getting excited. Thought the choke was coming after game 3 but the last two hitting performances have been outstanding.

Looking forward to staying up and watching the whole game on Saturday night and not just waking up for the 7th onwards! I have got my money's worth the last two nights though!

• Advertisement

:( Dodgers
    Nothing worse than waking up at 5 in the morning, checking the score, and having to go back to sleep disappointed.

Think our chance is gone now. Needed to take 2 from 3 at home.
    Kershaw tomorrow night needs a Madison Bumgarner type performance. 8IP, 3H, 0R, 10K, 1BB

If we can take it to Game 7, I'd be slightly confident, but realistically, the Cubs are a better team.

I do like the Red Sox story of a Cubs vs Indians WS.
    Theo vs Francona

Would be cheering on the Indians if they're playing the Cubs

:( Dodgers
    Nothing worse than waking up at 5 in the morning, checking the score, and having to go back to sleep disappointed.

Think our chance is gone now. Needed to take 2 from 3 at home.
    Kershaw tomorrow night needs a Madison Bumgarner type performance. 8IP, 3H, 0R, 10K, 1BB

If we can take it to Game 7, I'd be slightly confident, but realistically, the Cubs are a better team.

I do like the Red Sox story of a Cubs vs Indians WS.
    Theo vs Francona

Would be cheering on the Indians if they're playing the Cubs

Also would be the AL team with the longest world series drought v the NL team with the longest WS drought which I think is pretty cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'd be rooting for Cleveland in World Series mainly for Francona he ended Boston's drought and could end Cleveland's drought that would look pretty good on a resume.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I'd be rooting for Cleveland in World Series mainly for Francona he ended Boston's drought and could end Cleveland's drought that would look pretty good on a resume.

What did Theo Epstein do again? :pac:

Fascinating that they could be up against each other looking to end another drought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

SantryRed wrote: »
    McLoughlin wrote: »

What did Theo Epstein do again? :pac:

Fascinating that they could be up against each other looking to end another drought.

I know Theo was involved but I'm more used to Francona from interviews on TV and when he was on Baseball Tonight . I've always liked him

2 pitches into game 6, 1 hit, 2 outs.

What a start for the Cubs!

Wrigley is buzzing and I can only imagine what Wrigleyville and Chicago are like right now!

Cubs 4-0 up after 4 and cruising.

Only Steve Bartman can save LA now.

Kershaw getting lit up. Wow.

• Advertisement

Still wondering how we're gonna mess this one up. Hendricks is on fire.

Advertisement