Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

SantryRed wrote: »
    Still wondering how we're gonna mess this one up. Hendricks is on fire.

Was just thinking that, if they blow this would this be the worst meltdown? 5-0 but not only on the score their cruising. In no danger whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Ohhhhhh Kershaw.. Feck me.. You've been the hero in the series and you pitch like that tonight.. Jaysus..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hendricks just made his way through the top of the order again.

21 up, 21 out for the Cubs. Hendricks has been incredible. Only one hit allowed.

Hendricks just made his way through the top of the order again.

21 up, 21 out for the Cubs. Hendricks has been incredible. Only one hit allowed.

Off the first pitch of the ballgame!

World Series :D

One of the two longest streaks will go!

• Advertisement

World Series :D

Congrats man. Enjoy the ride.

Gonna be a great WS. Really looking forward to it even though i'm still not over our loss after watching 4 days in October last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It was fun to watch. I was kind of rooting for the Dodgers but I'm happy to see the Cubs win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just watched on game delay now. As a spectacle (for the neutral) it was a bit disappointing but you have to be impressed with the way the Cubs played, especially Hendricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The apocalypse is upon us. Cubs/Indians for the WS. Good friend from Cleveland is saying everyone back home is freaked. But, I think it'll be the Cubs, they were loaded all season and are scary deep. I expect them to be in the NLCS next year, too, only injuries will matter (says this lifer Mets fan)

Personally rooting for Cleveland to make a go of it, good pitching beats good hitting and all that, but Cubs don't seem to have any weaknesses right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

mod9maple wrote: »
    It's nothing but a sheer guess (we all know anything can happen, it's a crap shoot between all really good teams) but I'm going Cleveland vs Chicago WS.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

tallpaul wrote: »
    Cubs as expected going with the same rotation as the Giants' series assuming Hendricks' arm is okay. I said the Cubs in four last time out. This time I think the Cubs in six with a series and pennant win at Wrigley!

Ahem!! ;)

The Cubs haven't even made an appearance in a WS since 1945, much less win one. Incredible. I'll not be rooting for either. I'll watch and enjoy it though. May the best team win and let's hope for a 7 game classic.

The Cubs haven't even made an appearance in a WS since 1945, much less win one. Incredible. I'll not be rooting for either. I'll watch and enjoy it though. May the best team win and let's hope for a 7 game classic.

I've no affiliation to either side either side really but I think I'm leaning towards wanting to see the Cubs end their drought.

But there's a small bit of evil in me thinks it would be funny for another calamity to land on them when they're close to winning but that feeing's getting suppressed at the moment.

I've no affiliation to either side either side really but I think I'm leaning towards wanting to see the Cubs end their drought.

But there's a small bit of evil in me thinks it would be funny for another calamity to land on them when they're close to winning but that feeing's getting suppressed at the moment.

Thats basically how I feel too.
    Saying that, the Indians are getting none of the press that the Cubs get, and probably had a more impressive post season
    Sweep the Red Box and Papi
    Beat the BJs in 5 games

Anyone staying up tonight? Disappointed i won't be able to do it myself as it's set up to be a great series.

Planning on staying up as I'm off tomorrow but knowing me I'll fall asleep

I fancy Cleveland tbh. While their starting pitching isn't the greatest, they've realy upped their game in October. Miller is lights out in the pen, and their such a fundamental great baseball team.

What a start

This is gonna be something special

Andrew Miller.... That is all

and again...

Nice to see him torment another team after watching him strangle the Jays

• Advertisement

9-0 now for Terry Francona in WS games now. The Cubs need to break that streak tonight.

9-0 now for Terry Francona in WS games now. The Cubs need to break that streak tonight.

Agreed!! Crucial inning was the seventh with the bases loaded and one out. Cleveland were only 3-0 up at that stage. A hit or two there would have heaped the pressure on Miller and dented his confidence a little.

The good news for us Irish viewers is that they have brought forward the starting time to 00.08am due to the risk of rain in Cleveland later.

Agreed!! Crucial inning was the seventh with the bases loaded and one out. Cleveland were only 3-0 up at that stage. A hit or two there would have heaped the pressure on Miller and dented his confidence a little.

The good news for us Irish viewers is that they have brought forward the starting time to 00.08am due to the risk of rain in Cleveland later.

Yeah that was a crucial spot. You have to score at least one with bases loaded and no one out. Good point about how it might have dented Miller's confidence a bit. Now the opposite has probably happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Arrieta hasn't allowed a hit yet going into the 6th inning. Really good opportunity for the Cubs here with a 5 run cushion. The bats are awake tonight!

8-10 wrote: »
    Arrieta hasn't allowed a hit yet going into the 6th inning. Really good opportunity for the Cubs here with a 5 run cushion. The bats are awake tonight!

It's set up for a good weekend now. 1-1, the neutral's dream.

Sigh. Media saying Cespedes will not re-sign with the Mets. Time to load up on the offseason antacids.
    Gag, the thought of a Bruce/Conforto/Granderson outfield's terrifying with the only right-handed power bat belonging to... Wright? Gag gag gag back to the bad old days.

Great win last night for the Cubs. After game 1, they really couldn't afford to go into game 3 0-2 down.

A great call by Maddon to bring in Arrieta who was lights out up until the 6th and then Montgomery was brilliant in the 7th and 8th.

One worry would be that only 5 runs were scored from at least 20 people getting on base. If we get that many opportunities, we really should be scoring more runs.

Hendricks up next now at home and in Wrigley, you'd got to feel confident. 3-2 is a must but I think there's a decent possibility of winning the next 3, Indians will be down a big hitter now with NL rules in play.

Great win last night for the Cubs. After game 1, they really couldn't afford to go into game 3 0-2 down.

A great call by Maddon to bring in Arrieta who was lights out up until the 6th and then Montgomery was brilliant in the 7th and 8th.

One worry would be that only 5 runs were scored from at least 20 people getting on base. If we get that many opportunities, we really should be scoring more runs.

Hendricks up next now at home and in Wrigley, you'd got to feel confident. 3-2 is a must but I think there's a decent possibility of winning the next 3, Indians will be down a big hitter now with NL rules in play.

I may look stupid at the end of this, but I can't see any way the Indians will lose the next 3. They really weren't themselves tonight and they have produced huge performances on the road all year.

Cubs did exactly what they needed to do tonight. Keep the Indians bullpen out of the game. Arrieta was fantastic.

It's such an intriguing series because it really is a battle of an unbelievable starting pitching against a lights out bullpen. Cubs need to take game 3 before Kluber gets the mount for game 4.

Fantastic series so far. This is my first year following baseball after following NBA/NFL over the last few years and their playoffs don't hold a candle to this. Drama at its finest.

Yes it was interesting last night. I mentioned the long seventh inning for Miller in another post in Game 1 and it must have had an effect. Apparently he threw forty-odd pitches in that game and thus was nowhere to be seen in Game 2 and Cleveland went deep into their bullpen to try turn things around.

I also think the ridiculous DH rule may hurt the Indians. Effectively they have only eight batters. All of the Cubs' pitchers have home runs and lots of RBI's to their names this season and this could be crucial. Of course if this was the old days, Kluber would probably get thunked hard sometime in the top of the third of Game 4...

As for Kyle Schwarber, awesome so far as a DH, I would not risk him in the outfield for a full game but use him as a pinch hitter (and then a fielder) at some stage.

I too think there is a sporting chance of a Cubs home sweep to take it all.

• Advertisement

Yes it was interesting last night. I mentioned the long seventh inning for Miller in another post in Game 1 and it must have had an effect. Apparently he threw forty-odd pitches in that game and thus was nowhere to be seen in Game 2 and Cleveland went deep into their bullpen to try turn things around.

The Indians were behind all game so we wouldn't have seen Miller anyway, even if he was fresh.

They only use him to protect leads, not in games where they are looking to catch up.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sigh. Media saying Cespedes will not re-sign with the Mets. Time to load up on the offseason antacids.
    Gag, the thought of a Bruce/Conforto/Granderson outfield's terrifying with the only right-handed power bat belonging to... Wright? Gag gag gag back to the bad old days.

It's all part of the process. He wants a bigger payday so opts out. Doesn't mean he's not coming back.

The question is though, do you want to give him a long deal? Another ageing player in 3-4 years with diminished output earning $25m a year!

(As an aside, probably time for an offseason thread)

The Indians were behind all game so we wouldn't have seen Miller anyway, even if he was fresh.

They only use him to protect leads, not in games where they are looking to catch up.

In theory if the Cubs were to jump in front for the remainder, then they have seen the last of Miller already? Seems bizarre but I'll take your word for it.

In theory if the Cubs were to jump in front for the remainder, then they have seen the last of Miller already? Seems bizarre but I'll take your word for it.

It's the old "don't want to waste your bullets" thing.

Obviously in an elimination game the rules change and Francona isn't a tranditional manager so anything could happen but that's the way closers and pitchers like Miller are usually used.

If their a 1-2 run down its a different story but when you're 5-0 down in the second game of the series theres no point in bringing him in.

I saw a quote somewhere that a series doesn't start till someone wins an away game. Well, they're there now. Wrigley hosting its 1st WS game in 71 years. Suddenly being a Mets fan doesn't feel so bad.

• Advertisement

Ridiculously early prediction for next season. Kyle Schwarber for MVP?

What do you reckon?

Ridiculously early prediction for next season. Kyle Schwarber for MVP?

What do you reckon?

I reckon it'll be Encarnacion after a 50HR season to bring Red Sox to the WS

8-10 wrote: »
    I reckon it'll be Encarnacion after a 50HR season to bring Red Sox to the WS

I puked after reading this

It's got to be advantage Cubs tonight with Hendricks going against Tomlin wouldn't you think?

I've given up on the "with all the expectation, pressure will get to the Cubs" line. They just don't seem to give a sh*t and keep playing great baseball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

It's got to be advantage Cubs tonight with Hendricks going against Tomlin wouldn't you think?

I've given up on the "with all the expectation, pressure will get to the Cubs" line. They just don't seem to give a sh*t and keep playing great baseball.

I wouldn't give up on Cleveland yet, Tomlin has never faced the Cubs, so they've never seen him pitch. He could get through 5 tonight and if he does and turns it over to the bullpen in touch then they have a chance.

I do agree with you on the Cubs attitude though they really look the part and have done all season.

• Advertisement

Andrew Miller strikes out the side to end the 6th inning. No big deal. He's been great all year.

Have no idea which way this game is going to go. 0-0 and only 8 hits total

Indians ended up winning 1-0. Cubs had runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 9th. Shutout again.

5 shutouts in 11 postseason games for the Indians. Nobody has ever had 5 postseason shutouts before. Impressive.

Those billy-goat sausages they served in Chicago today didn't work!

Me and my big mouth!

Did the Yankees have both Miller and Chapman in their BPs at the start of the year?

TimRiggins wrote:
    Did the Yankees have both Miller and Chapman in their BPs at the start of the year?

Yes they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Indians have some resiliance still the Cubs have the squad to turn this around but it won't be won in Chicago now anyway, possibly a good thing for the Cubs. Going back to Cleveland leading 3-2 might be perfect for the Cubs

Yes they did.

Crazy that they let them both go no?

As for the WS, The Indians pitching is seriously something special. Their route to the WS was incredible difficult and they seem to show no signs on slowing down. I think they'll win this in 5.

In saying that, while Kluber is their ace, he can be hit around.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Crazy that they let them both go no?

Chapman's a free agent at the end of the year and the Yankees weren't going to make the playoffs so it made sense to deal him and get a couple of prospects in return. They could re-sign him at the end of the season too!

Miller's a bit different in that he has at least one (maybe 2?) years left on his contract but they decided to sell high and apparently the haul they got was great so it made sense there too.

TimRiggins wrote: »

As for the WS, The Indians pitching is seriously something special. Their route to the WS was incredible difficult and they seem to show no signs on slowing down. I think they'll win this in 5.

In saying that, while Kluber is their ace, he can be hit around.

Winning in 5 would mean sweeping the Cubs at Wrigley and that'd be some achievement. I think all their starters from now until the end of the season are going on short rest too.

I haven't a clue who's going to win this thing but whoever does, I'd say it's going to won in Cleveland

• Advertisement
Advertisement