Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Winning in 5 would mean sweeping the Cubs at Wrigley and that'd be some achievement. I think all their starters from now until the end of the season are going on short rest too.

I haven't a clue who's going to win this thing but whoever does, I'd say it's going to won in Cleveland

It just seems their and incredibly well managed team. They're SP have really stepped their games up and they'll have no fear of Wrigley after winning last night and getting big wins in Toronto and Fenway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

TimRiggins wrote: »
    It just seems their and incredibly well managed team. They're SP have really stepped their games up and they'll have no fear of Wrigley after winning last night and getting big wins in Toronto and Fenway.

Yeah, they are. But Chicago are too and in theory have the better players and I can't see them losing 3 in a row at home. Too hard to call in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Anyone see Votto ending up at the Jays, be a massive commercial move for Toronto. Would I be right saying hes the best Canadian ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kal El wrote: »
    Anyone see Votto ending up at the Jays, be a massive commercial move for Toronto. Would I be right saying hes the best Canadian ever

Whoever comes in has to be a left-handed batter, that's the glaring issue in their lineup. Votto's probably the best available.

Reports are that we're going to aggressively go after him. Would love him.

Ah Jaysus, reports coming out that Jose Fernandez had cocaine in his system and his blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Reports are that we're going to aggressively go after him. Would love him.

Tim shouldnt you be in the American football or Alcohol section :pac:
    Im sorry :o
    Yeah it be cool to see him up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Ah Jaysus, reports coming out that Jose Fernandez had cocaine in his system and his blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit.
    Not the news we wanted to hear...between between himself and Oscar Tavares the baseball world has lost two great stars far too young from incidents that could have been avoided. One would hope a lesson can be learn't and this doesn't happen again...

On a lighter note, Bill Murray was in top form last night!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eItTJehqMIQ

It is slipping away from the Cubbies...

• Advertisement

Coeus wrote: »

Kluber for MVP?

8-10 wrote: »
    Kluber for MVP?
    Francona :)

...but seriously most likely it will go to Kluber...so far.

Lackey and the Cubbies bullpen weren't very good tonight.

Stat near the end of the game says last 10 teams with a 3-1 lead have gone on to win the WS...

Stat near the end of the game says last 10 teams with a 3-1 lead have gone on to win the WS...

'85 Royals the last?

Yep. Might have to take back m my "they won't get swept at home statement" from yesterday.

Tim shouldnt you be in the American football or Alcohol section :pac:
    Im sorry :o
    Yeah it be cool to see him up there

Texas forever Street! I'm sure coulda been a pitcher too if he wanted too haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yep. Might have to take back m my "they won't get swept at home statement" from yesterday.

Cleveland's actually making it look easy, didn't expect that, thought the Cub's depth would be the difference. Andrew Miller's ridiculously good this year.

My lifelong Indian's fan friend is still staying mum, doesn't want to jinx it, but I think it ends tonight in Chicago. Poor cubs fans, 71 years and now won't have won a WS home game.

Worst is there's no watchable sports till next year when the NFL playoffs start, though we're likely to go attend our first GAA football game today, An Gaeltacht abu!

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Cleveland's actually making it look easy, didn't expect that, thought the Cub's depth would be the difference. Andrew Miller's ridiculously good this year.

My lifelong Indian's fan friend is still staying mum, doesn't want to jinx it, but I think it ends tonight in Chicago. Poor cubs fans, 71 years and now won't have won a WS home game.

Worst is there's no watchable sports till next year when the NFL playoffs start, though we're likely to go attend our first GAA football game today, An Gaeltacht abu!

In fairness its a very favorable pitching match up tomorrow for the Cubs. I know I said yesterday that I thought Cleveland would win it in Wrigley but surely the Cubs will be out to get Bauer from the get go tomorrow.

Amazing whats happened in Cleveland. No major sports title for the City in 64 years, the night that ESPN bring out a 30 for 30 on it Stipe Miocic from Cleveland wins the UFC Heavyweight Title, and then the Cavs and now probably the Indians all in the space of 6 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

TimRiggins wrote:
    No major sports title - the UFC Heavyweight Title

Does not compute! :/

Cubbies really needed that (4th) inning there...they'll need a few more from Lester as they don't really want to be handing the ball to anyone else other than Chapman...

Cubbies really needed that (4th) inning there...they'll need a few more from Lester as they don't really want to be handing the ball to anyone else other than Chapman...

The tension in the stadium is incredible. Only down 2 runs but you feel Indians have to dig deep to come back. 4th inning gave the Cubs a lot of momentum

The tension in the stadium is incredible. Only down 2 runs but you feel Indians have to dig deep to come back. 4th inning gave the Cubs a lot of momentum
    Yes especially when the Indians bat...Baez showing his gold glove D there yet again!

• Advertisement

Chapman coming in with 7 outs to go...interesting

Edit, 8 outs sorry. Can't see him finishing the game

Chapman coming in with 7 outs to go...interesting

Edit, 8 outs sorry. Can't see him finishing the game
    Me neither but you got to think he will have to been in this early...I'd have left Lester in for 1 more to be honest but I ain't paid the big bucks :)

Me neither but you got to think he will have to been in this early...I'd have left Lester in for 1 more to be honest but I ain't paid the big bucks :)

Me too. It was nearly like they took him out just so Ross didn't have to bat again. Everywhere I look on both sides I keep seeing ex-Red Sox players, to be expected with Theo and Tito

Eddie Vedders voice is terrific

Me too. It was nearly like they took him out just so Ross didn't have to bat again. Everywhere I look on both sides I keep seeing ex-Red Sox players, to be expected with Theo and Tito

Eddie Vedders voice is terrific
    I thought they would roll out Jim Belushi tonight but yes Vedders did a great job!

Back on topic...Chapman did a great job getting out of that jam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

This is great viewing, so tense! The threat of stolen bases really affecting the Cubs...

What a game. Hope this goes to game 7 now

radharc wrote: »
    This is great viewing, so tense! The threat of stolen bases really affecting the Cubs...
    Yes but Chapman is not the best at holding runners on. He showed the value of having elite relievers on your roster. He was awesome and gives us another game :)

mod9maple wrote: »
    Does not compute! :/

Not going to get into it but to win it the night they brought out the documentary was pretty incredible.

Not going to get into it but to win it the night they brought out the documentary was pretty incredible.

Cubs were favourites to win last night.

Cubs were favourites to win last night.

I'm talking about Miocic winning the UFC title the night ESPN brought out the 30 for 30 about Cleveland not having a champion in 60+ years.

• Advertisement

What about Davis last night? Gotta love base stealing! I miss watching him do that in a Toronto uniform, who by the way, don't do it often enough.

The tension late in a game when everyone knows he's going is a joy to watch. Is the art under-utilised in baseball do you think?

I'm talking about Miocic winning the UFC title

You wha?

You wha?

On jesus never mind.

Didn't see any of last night's game but from what I'm reading here, it looks like it was the best one yet for excitement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Didn't see any of last night's game but from what I'm reading here, it looks like it was the best one yet for excitement anyway.

I would agree. The Cubs/Dodgers games were all really intense and engaging, but the first 4 games of Cubs/Indians have all seemed lopsided, and lacking in that gut knotting tension.

Last night was a roller-coaster though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thank God tonight is an off-night and I can get a decent night's sleep!!! Being a lifelong Cubs fan is very tiring at the minute! Thought Chapman was simply immense last night. Carried the whole team on his shoulders. Back to Cleveland and have to hope that the Cubs can keep things going. Arrieta to start and another 5 or 6 shutout innings would suit very well!!!

Just earlier today I was wondering if we had any Cubs or Indians fans on here. It's proving to be an intriguing series. As a neutral I'd love a game 7. Even better, xtra innings! Imagine. Ha!

Anyway enjoy the rest of the series. I remember 92 and 93, it's great when your team makes it to the final showdown. :)

tallpaul wrote: »
    Thank God tonight is an off-night and I can get a decent night's sleep!!! Being a lifelong Cubs fan is very tiring at the minute! Thought Chapman was simply immense last night. Carried the whole team on his shoulders. Back to Cleveland and have to hope that the Cubs can keep things going. Arrieta to start and another 5 or 6 shutout innings would suit very well!!!

Crazy that the All Star game decides which team gets Home Field advantage.

TimRiggins wrote:

Agreed. But then I also believe so-called unwritten rules are pathetic and childish, and it's crazy having different rules in each league. But hey, that's baseball and no-one gives a damn what I think! Just go with the flow. Nowt we can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I know what you are saying but it was done to give the game some meaning. Look at the Pro Bowl in football and see what a joke that has become/always was. Cubs' players must be a little annoyed as most of the team played in this year's All-Star game at some stage!!

Home field advantage should be based on the league with the better interleague record during the year.

All Star Game will never be interesting enough for me to watch, making the WS field decision based on it should make no difference to the viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Disagree, it makes the All star game actually mean something.

Going to be interesting tonight, I actually think Arrieta is going to blow up under pressure. I don't have any sane reason to back this up just one of those feelings. Going to be some atmosphere tonight in Cleveland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Whilst it probably is a bit crazy that the All Star game decides the home field advantage, I'm not really sure there's another way other than a good aul fashioned coin flip!

I think being away from Wrigley may actually suit the Cubs, purely as it removes the nervous tension which has been evident in Wrigley throughout that 3 game stretch.

Note to every watching that the game starts an hour earlier tonight due to the American clocks not going back for another couple of weeks!

I don't like the ASG deciding home field either but if it is going to be what decides it, at least play it like a real game.

In other words, have the best players playing and manage it like you're managing any other game. Get rid of the rule that every team has to be represented. It's ridiculous that in theory a pitcher from the worst team in the AL going up against a hitter from the worst team in the NL can decide the home field advantage for the WS in a game neither player will be involved in.

And leave the players in too. The Cubs position players in this year's game probably had 2 at bats at most and maybe 3 innings in the field. Let the best players play the full game!

SantryRed wrote: »
    Whilst it probably is a bit crazy that the All Star game decides the home field advantage, I'm not really sure there's another way other than a good aul fashioned coin flip!
    Home field advantage should be based on the league with the better interleague record during the year.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I don't like the ASG deciding home field either but if it is going to be what decides it, at least play it like a real game.

In other words, have the best players playing and manage it like you're managing any other game. Get rid of the rule that every team has to be represented. It's ridiculous that in theory a pitcher from the worst team in the AL going up against a hitter from the worst team in the NL can decide the home field advantage for the WS in a game neither player will be involved in.

And leave the players in too. The Cubs position players in this year's game probably had 2 at bats at most and maybe 3 innings in the field. Let the best players play the full game!

There is no other really fair way to decide it though. And I agree yeah if the All star game is going to decide it then it should be the best team for both leagues for the entire game.

The NL have a distinct advantage having to face pitchers in every game and while I personally actually really like that pitchers hit there is no doubt that it's an advantage most of the time.

If the rules were the same across the board then simply the best record has home advantage the same as the rest of the playoffs.

The funny thing is I think the Cubs are going to benefit more than the Indians by having the DH back in play for the next two games as Schwarber will be in the lineup.

The funny thing is I think the Cubs are going to benefit more than the Indians by having the DH back in play for the next two games as Schwarber will be in the lineup.

Optimistic!

Probably right they have more hitters but I am not sure they have better base hitters or runners and running is going to win this IMO.

But on a serious note your prediction earlier for Schwarber MVP for next season actually looks like a great shout!

Optimistic!

Ha ha, yeah maybe I was getting ahead of myself a little.

• Advertisement
Advertisement