Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

But on a serious note your prediction earlier for Schwarber MVP for next season actually looks like a great shout!

Ah that was me just having a laugh based on a tiny tiny sample but you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Ah that was me just having a laugh based on a tiny tiny sample but you never know!

He looks scary good though. I seriously hope the Indians win though as I think the Cubs are going to be there for 5 years. This Indians team needs it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It will be interesting to see how much Chapman will be able to pitch tonight, if at all. Of course if Arrieta is on his game then he is able to go the distance but he has done that very little this year compared to last.

Regarding the bullpen, I have my doubts about Edwards Jr. and Montgomery in the postseason and Rondon and Strop are downright liabilities. Chapman and Wood would seem to be the safer bets. Personally I would have brought in Jason Hammel, as the only one of the starters to not be included in the postseason roster, to pitch relief. Not sure why Maddon left him out completely.

tallpaul wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how much Chapman will be able to pitch tonight, if at all. Of course if Arrieta is on his game then he is able to go the distance but he has done that very little this year compared to last.

Regarding the bullpen, I have my doubts about Edwards Jr. and Montgomery in the postseason and Rondon and Strop are downright liabilities. Chapman and Wood would seem to be the safer bets. Personally I would have brought in Jason Hammel, as the only one of the starters to not be included in the postseason roster, to pitch relief. Not sure why Maddon left him out completely.

I read yesterday that they're looking at 30-35 pitches for Chapman this evening. Obviously if he pitches that many, you'd wonder how much he'll have left for tomorrow. Having said that, his last 3 pitches the last night were over 100 so adrenaline will probably take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I read yesterday that they're looking at 30-35 pitches for Chapman this evening. Obviously if he pitches that many, you'd wonder how much he'll have left for tomorrow. Having said that, his last 3 pitches the last night were over 100 so adrenaline will probably take over.

That's assuming it gets to Chapman tonight :P

Indians to win 6-2 tonight. :D:D:D:D

Still plenty to discuss here obviously but I've started up a thread for all the off season stuff

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057665741

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Cubs 3 up already? Oh yes! We want game 7! We want game 7! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

All that from 1 mix up in the outfield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

2 Outs, 2 strikes and then that happens. Wow. Tomlin was cruising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

mod9maple wrote: »
    Cubs 3 up already? Oh yes! We want game 7! We want game 7! :D
    Perfect start for that scenario :)

Even the homer was from a pitch he should not have been throwing to Bryant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

7-0. Will be game 7. Addison Russell grand slam & 6 rbi's

If the first inning was bad for the Indians that one was worse...think I'll go rest and save myself for game 7 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Arrieta gets out of a bases loaded situation. Lucky to only give up 1 run that inning. Looking good for the Cubbies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Game 7 here we come!

Game 7 here we come!

Pressure on Cleveland now?

All those memes and everything about the Warriors blowing a 3-1 lead against the Cavs in the NBA could well and truly come back to haunt the people of the City!

Would love to see tonight's game go to extra innings!

Its game 7 pressure on everyone tonight.

Either way this has been the best WS I can remember since Cardinals and Rangers, probably my favourite in recent memory.

Cubs have the swagger coming in after last night, but the Indians have Kluber, Miller and Allen waiting... enthrawling stuff!

With the Cav's winning the NBA I don't think anyone even in Cleveland would begrudge the Cubs winning it but maybe they'll need one more year?

TimRiggins wrote: »
    All those memes and everything about the Warriors blowing a 3-1 lead against the Cavs in the NBA could well and truly come back to haunt the people of the City!

Would love to see tonight's game go to extra innings!

It would be ironic if the Indians blew a 3-1 lead alright.

Extras would of be great tonight. I can't even imagine the tension there'd be if that was the case.

Its game 7 pressure on everyone tonight.

Either way this has been the best WS I can remember since Cardinals and Rangers, probably my favourite in recent memory.

Cubs have the swagger coming in after last night, but the Indians have Kluber, Miller and Allen waiting... enthrawling stuff!

With the Cav's winning the NBA I don't think anyone even in Cleveland would begrudge the Cubs winning it but maybe they'll need one more year?

Giants v Royals a couple of years back was great too but you're right, this one has been immense.

I just hope it's a tight game tonight and not one that goes lopsided early (like last night). And no goats either, I want to see a team win it as opposed to someone making a balls of something costing his side the game.

• Advertisement

Catastrophic error in the first :D:D set the Cubbies on their way. Arrieta pitched well if not stellar. Maddon earned his corn by putting Schwarber in at 2. Indians couldn't pitch round him and set up Russell nicely in the middle order. It is interesting that both teams are 1-2 at home after six games. The pressure and intensity of playing at home seems, paradoxically, to be hindering the home teams.

So on to the inevitable, pivotal Seventh Game. Hendricks for the Cubs on full rest with Kluber on slightly less. The corollary of this is that it is the reverse for the bullpens. I'm not sure why Chapman pitched when he did last night with a five run lead in the seventh? Although the game further convinced me of fragility of Pedro Strop. I would have sent Edwards Jr out then Wood, then Strop, then Montgomery and only then Chapman if needed. Although in saying all that, like Arrieta last night, Hendricks has no issue going deep into games having done so several times this year already.

As for extra innings...no thanks... don't think the nerves could take it. Although I find it funny in extras away from home that I can relax somewhat when the Cubs are batting as at least they can't lose...

Giants v Royals a couple of years back was great too but you're right, this one has been immense.

I just hope it's a tight game tonight and not one that goes lopsided early (like last night). And no goats either, I want to see a team win it as opposed to someone making a balls of something costing his side the game.

Yeah me too. I hope someone wins it rather than a mistake.

Going to be epic either way, kids are off to Granny's tonight and I've a bunch of mates coming over the missus is out buying ingredients for making a 7 layer dip and we're going to have a session watching it!

Looking forward to it now!

tallpaul wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Chapman pitched when he did last night with a five run lead in the seventh?

I was thinking that myself when I looked at the box score this morning but I read Madden's comments and he was saying that he didn't want to take any chances with the middle of the order coming up and wanted to kill the game there and then which is a fair point.

Chapman's a beast so it wouldn't surprise me if he comes in for 1+ innings tonight and still throws nearly every pitch over the ton.

I think out of the two Starters Kluber is the most likely to be got at, But that means Miller time. Cubs have the better hitters but its one game of baseball and anything can happen. Is it just me or has it seemed that teams have had their biggest performances on the road this postseason?

I think out of the two Starters Kluber is the most likely to be got at, But that means Miller time. Cubs have the better hitters but its one game of baseball and anything can happen. Is it just me or has it seemed that teams have had their biggest performances on the road this postseason?

Is it the 5 hits and 1 run Kluber gave up in 6 innings in game 4 or the 4 hits and 0 runs he gave up in 6 innings in game 1 that makes you think he can be got at?

Joking by the way ... sort of ... I don't think I would be basing my game plan on getting at Miller or Allen though so the Cubs better hope they can get to Kluber early.

Is it the 5 hits and 1 run Kluber gave up in 6 innings in game 4 or the 4 hits and 0 runs he gave up in 6 innings in game 1 that makes you think he can be got at?

Joking by the way ... sort of ... I don't think I would be basing my game plan on getting at Miller or Allen though so the Cubs better hope they can get to Kluber early.

Nah just because he's on short rest and their have been games this year where he has been hit around. Hendricks has seemed flawless and is on full rest. Kluber has also left a few men on base and the Cubs have clutch hitters

I'm not saying he's bad by any means he's amazing I'd rather Hendricks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Almost a little disappointed with how the Cubs opened up such an early lead so early, meaning Miller and Allen didn't even see the light of day.

Was also pretty shocked to see Chapman come to the mound! With a 5 run lead I would have been keeping him fresh for the game 7, with only bringing him in if the Indians had put a score or two up.

I do genuinely think that this series almost has a disadvantage for the team who plays at home. The pressure and tension in the grounds has been immense for both sides, such is the size of the droughts. Have been receiving snapchats and videos from friends in Chicago all week and the place is absolutely buzzing. I was there in 2013 when the Blackhawks won the Stanley with two late goals and that was insane, but I can't even imagine what Wrigley will be like if the Cubs finally do it!!

Short rest two starts in a row might make him vulnerable but I'm sure adrenaline will take over.

I'm amazed how the pitchers in this series (and the playoffs generally) don't seem to be affected by nerves.

Nah just because he's on short rest and their have been games this year where he has been hit around. Hendricks has seemed flawless and is on full rest. Kluber has also left a few men on base and the Cubs have clutch hitters

I'm not saying he's bad by any means he's amazing I'd rather Hendricks

That's cool, I get your reasoning 100%. But I'd rather have Kluber and I would also rather have the Cubs hitters. It's going to be epic either way I think. Probably the two best pitchers in either club going head to head for it all tonight, could well come down to who's bullpen has more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I'm so nervous.

Thing is, this is Kluber's 3rd time against the Cubs in about a week. Lights out the first few times obviously.

Surely the Cubs batters have learned something the last few outings...surely....

Interesting that Maddon is saying that Lester will pitch relief for Hendricks tonight if needed. I guess at this stage anything goes, given that days' rest for pitchers is now, finally, irrelevant!!! I am hoping that history helps the Cubs as no starting pitcher has ever won three games in the World Series. Kluber has a chance to do this...

Ha!! I see even RTE Sport on the Six One News is reporting on the Cubs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I badly need sleep but I just can't imagine missing this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm delighted that the Indians didn't win the series 4-1.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

8-10 wrote: »

Have my alarm set for 11:45 and recording it just in case. :) Watched the previous games the following day but want to catch this one live, fingers crossed it's a cracker. Will feel sorry for the loser considering the wait both have had.

On a side note, if anyone has a PS4 and doesn't already have them, MLB The Show 16 and Super Mega Baseball are both on sale on PSN at the minute. €20 and €8 respectively if you have PS+.

8-10 wrote: »
    Me neither...can work from home tomorrow so will :)

Anyone have any thoughts on who might get MVP if the Cubs win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

As a neutral I can't wait for this..

Best of luck to both teams and they're fans on here.. It's been some season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Something small but I really wish that BT were picking up the Fox feed and not the MLB International one.

What a start!

GAME ON!!!

What a bloody start.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Something small but I really wish that BT were picking up the Fox feed and not the MLB International one.

Was half tempted to watch it on MLB TV to get the Fox coverage.

(What a start!!!)

Every batter for the Cubs has gotten a decent bat on Kluber's pitches. Should give them some confidence for the next at bat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

listening to the espn radio call of the game tonight.

Only 17 pitches by my count for that entire inning. Maybe they'll be sound and fly through the remaining 7 while keeping it entertaining! :p

That was stupid to send Schwarber there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hopefully the Indians can get on the scoreboard now and calm the nerves a bit.

kmart6 wrote: »
    That was stupid to send Schwarber there.

No need for it. If Cubs get out of this inning without scoring I really fancy a home run by one of the Cubs next three up (Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist).

Baez having a bit of a mare on D tonight...

For all his heroics these errors by Baez could be costly.

This is a pivotal moment right now.

EDIT: holy **** what a take. That was two big outs there by Hendricks.

Got away with it in that inning.

• Advertisement

Davis lucky that hit him after it came off the wall, really could have got away from him and Contreras could have definitely got to 3rd, if not home.

Advertisement