Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

spud06 wrote: »
    Watched the Nats v Marlins game last night on a stream and to say some of the fielding from the Nats was bad would be an understatement. Although having said that Jose Fernandez was top class.

I think he had 1 or 2 bad starts early on but they were just blips. Fernandez is more often than not top class. A great pitcher to watch (unless he's playing against your own team course!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What's the story with all the offence? Obviously they won't score like this for the whole season but can we expect them to continue to hit well?

Fearless youth I reckon. Seems like a close group so a bit of the whole being better than the sum of their parts.

Having players like Jackie Bradley, Shaw, Betts and Boegarts in with the likes of Papi, Pedroia and Hanley is a good mix of youth and experience. Christian Vasquez looks a seriously good catcher also.

I don't expect the offensive to keep up all year but I do see the group as a whole really maturing this year - the experienced guys are the example for the younger guys and the younger guys are hitting without fear and motivating the experienced guys.

Big problem is going to be the pitching. You can't expect the run support, Buchholz is too inconsistent and Porcello and Wright are probably going to regress after a good start.

Kansas is a nice test this week. Hopefully the form keeps up and I'll hold my optimism until July when hopefully I tell you we're looking like a playoff team (with a new pitcher)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Absolutely riveting film on BT about the Cubs fan who went for the ball in the 6th game of the NL decider against the Marlins in 2003. Cubs were 3 - 0 and looked like closing the series. Count was 3 - 2 and Alou looked liked he was going to catch and put the hitter out. Marlins scored 8 times in the inning and brought the game to game seven, and the curse of the goat lived on ...

Almost led to serious crowd trouble. Can't wait to hear what happened to him in the next half!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Absolutely riveting film on BT about the Cubs fan who went for the ball in the 6th game of the NL decider against the Marlins in 2003. Cubs were 3 - 0 and looked like closing the series. Count was 3 - 2 and Alou looked liked he was going to catch and put the hitter out. Marlins scored 8 times in the inning and brought the game to game seven, and the curse of the goat lived on ...

Almost led to serious crowd trouble. Can't wait to hear what happened to him in the next half!

Steve Bartman..!!! Poor guy. Still can't show his face in Chicago.

Was that the ESPN film Catching Hell? It deals with Bill Buckner of the Red Sox too. Another man who suffered hell because of one split second mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Was that the ESPN film Catching Hell? It deals with Bill Buckner of the Red Sox too. Another man who suffered hell because of one split second mistake.

Don't mention that guy's name!!! Apparently he had to go into hiding for YEARS and his name is still a dirty word in parts of Chicago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

tallpaul wrote: »
    Don't mention that guy's name!!! Apparently he had to go into hiding for YEARS and his name is still a dirty word in parts of Chicago!

He needed a Buckner-style Curb Your Enthusiasm episode! A little bit of self-deprecation could have gone a long way for him.

Yes. Very good. I didn't see the Buckner part yet.

In fairness to Bartman, it was really an error by Gonzalez on the next hit that led to the Marlins comeback when he turned a possible double play into two runs. There was a somewhat similar incident in a Boston game last season although I think it was a clear foul ball. However, the security moved in straight away and evicted the culprit!

In fairness to Bartman, it was really an error by Gonzalez on the next hit that led to the Marlins comeback when he turned a possible double play into two runs.

Also, Chicago had a lead in game 7 that they couldn't hold so they had a number of opportunities to win the series after Bartman.

It was the same with the Buckner incident. Boston had a lead in game 7 of that series too after his mistake that cost them game 6.

I know this wasn't a 30 for 30 but just an ESPN Films thing but it's one of my favourite of all this type of stuff that they've done. That and the one about the spoofer who ended up buying the NY Islanders.

Also, Chicago had a lead in game 7 that they couldn't hold so they had a number of opportunities to win the series after Bartman.

It was the same with the Buckner incident. Boston had a lead in game 7 of that series too after his mistake that cost them game 6.

I know this wasn't a 30 for 30 but just an ESPN Films thing but it's one of my favourite of all this type of stuff that they've done. That and the one about the spoofer who ended up buying the NY Islanders.

I think it was initially supposed to be a 30 For 30 but didn't get finished in time

It was strange listening to the Chicago people discussing the impact the incident had on the seventh game which was the next day. Although they denied it - and of course there is a lot of hindsight involved - it was almost as though they had already psychologically accepted they were going to lose the series.

I doubt that pros are affected by such 'negative vibes', but if ever there was a club that might be susceptible to malign psychic energies - whatever about the poor goat being barred - it is the Cubs of Chicago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Braves just fired Manager Fredi Gonzalez

AAA Manager Brian Snitker will replace him

Braves just fired Manager Fredi Gonzalez

AAA Manager Brian Snitker will replace him

It was hardly his fault they are this bad. Look at the roster he had to deal with. They traded away everything they had.

This 30 for 30 doesn't exist but maybe it should....

Odor gets 8 games for the dig. Most players appeal so I wonder will it be reduced or is 8 fair? I think it's about right.

Interesting piece in Sports Illustrated on the rising % of runs coming from home runs. Highest since 2001 apparently when there was all the stuff about steroids. Now, they are not arguing that that is the reason - although the number of positive tests seems to be increasing. They do seem to be arguing for a change in rules, although not exactly sure what they are proposing.

Interesting piece in Sports Illustrated on the rising % of runs coming from home runs. Highest since 2001 apparently when there was all the stuff about steroids. Now, they are not arguing that that is the reason - although the number of positive tests seems to be increasing. They do seem to be arguing for a change in rules, although not exactly sure what they are proposing.

Home runs up, strike outs up. It seems to be boom or bust at the plate.

Simon having total nightmare against Cleveland. Although his catcher is proving to be able assistant!

This will be interesting test of the HR theory, as Reds have given up 66 so far - ten more than Milwaukee. But none so far and its 7 - 0 bottom of the 4th.

I'm predicting Cleveland win by 11 or more.

I'm predicting Cleveland win by 11 or more.

13-1. I hope you put money on that prediction!

Cubs being no hit through 7. I've probably jinxed it now but I'm off to bed so won't be able to see it through.

EDIT- Turns out the very next batter after I wrote that breaks it up. Typical.

• Advertisement

13-1. I hope you put money on that prediction!

I had a bet on Indians just to win, not the totals unfortunately. Simon's ERA must be in double figures today :)

In fairness though they were truly dreadful. Played like a team that had absolutely no interest in proceedings. Speaking of which, bet of night, at short odds, was on Pirates to beat a demoralised Atlanta. Missed it myself.

Also from last night, St. Louis continue to lose games that will cost them dearly in the end I think, even at this stage. Colorado do have a good hitting staff in fairness.

Not a happy Mets fan here. Not because they lost the series to the Nats (that happens) but because of what's happening to Harvey. Both on the mound and off it.

Something isn't right and maybe Boras was right all along about shutting him down at 200 innings last season but I don't like the way he got booed off the mound. I know he's been crap this season and he has a bit of history of being a diva but he gave everything he had last season and might have done himself damage in doing so, so to turn around and boo him off the mound is a bit weak I think. Bloody New Yorkers.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Not a happy Mets fan here. Not because they lost the series to the Nats (that happens) but because of what's happening to Harvey. Both on the mound and off it.

Something isn't right and maybe Boras was right all along about shutting him down at 200 innings last season but I don't like the way he got booed off the mound. I know he's been crap this season and he has a bit of history of being a diva but he gave everything he had last season and might have done himself damage in doing so, so to turn around and boo him off the mound is a bit weak I think. Bloody New Yorkers.......

Tough crowd! It's one thing to boo a player/team for perceived lack of effort, but booing when they're in a slump or low in confidence seems completely counter productive.

Terry was talking last night about skipping Harvey's next start, might be a good idea to allow him a bit of respite and chance to get his head together

Tough crowd! It's one thing to boo a player/team for perceived lack of effort, but booing when they're in a slump or low in confidence seems completely counter productive.

Terry was talking last night about skipping Harvey's next start, might be a good idea to allow him a bit of respite and chance to get his head together

Just looking at some of the back pages of the NY tabloids. They're not going easy on him either.

it's not just him though, Grandy, Duda and one or two others aren't hitting and they're still only 2.5 games back so it shouldn't be all doom and gloom yet. Although if they don't perform against the Brewers this weekend, that's another thing.

It was quite strange. Who decided it was good idea to give a walk and fill the bases when 2 - 1 down! They gave up another seven runs!

Felt sorry for Harvey because whatever about his pitching the instructions and the fielding were Keystone Cops stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It was quite strange. Who decided it was good idea to give a walk and fill the bases when 2 - 1 down! They gave up another seven runs!

Felt sorry for Harvey because whatever about his pitching the instructions and the fielding were Keystone Cops stuff.

Not happy with losing badly 2 out of 3 vs. the 'arch-rivals.' Got back on the right foot with Matz last night but not nearly enough scoring, still, which is kind of the problem. Other than Cespedes and a bit of Plawecki, none of the players are hitting well. Conforto had a big home run last night, opposite field, nice to see but he even admitted to being 'struggling' during the post game.

I just hope the pitching holds up; Matz and Thor scare me, both have had secret 'issues' in the last few and have been their best pitchers so far this season. Thor was amazing on Friday.

Harvey, well, we'll have to see about him. Might be worn out, might be a head case.

Big Sexy was ineffective, and has the tabloid distraction of the 2d family now, dunno, my great inspiration certainly has feet of clay.

Wheeler back in a few months, hopefully he'll be able to help.

Still just May, still beating up on weaker teams and competing with the better ones. Going to be a great year!

• Advertisement

Smaller strike zone and automatic intentional walks on the way.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15633876/mlb-competition-committee-agrees-changes-strike-zone-intentional-walks

I like the throwing for IBBs. I can't think of a time when it happened but there's always a very slight chance of either the pitcher or catcher messing it up. I have seen a couple of close calls though. All about pace of game though I suppose which is a big issue for Manfred it seems.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Not happy with losing badly 2 out of 3 vs. the 'arch-rivals.' Got back on the right foot with Matz last night but not nearly enough scoring, still, which is kind of the problem. Other than Cespedes and a bit of Plawecki, none of the players are hitting well. Conforto had a big home run last night, opposite field, nice to see but he even admitted to being 'struggling' during the post game.

I just hope the pitching holds up; Matz and Thor scare me, both have had secret 'issues' in the last few and have been their best pitchers so far this season. Thor was amazing on Friday.

Harvey, well, we'll have to see about him. Might be worn out, might be a head case.

Big Sexy was ineffective, and has the tabloid distraction of the 2d family now, dunno, my great inspiration certainly has feet of clay.

Wheeler back in a few months, hopefully he'll be able to help.

Still just May, still beating up on weaker teams and competing with the better ones. Going to be a great year!

Thor has Tommy John written all over him doesn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Rumours the Jays are going to go after a few big trades, Ive no idea who they could get any ideas from ye guys

astonaidan wrote: »
    Rumours the Jays are going to go after a few big trades, Ive no idea who they could get any ideas from ye guys

Bit early for teams to be dealing I would have thought. I'd imagine Toronto are after starting pitching. There are probably tonnes of secondary guys out there but I can't think of any guys that would come under the 'big trade' category.

Bartolo Colon giving us more reasons to smile. When he arrived at the plate for his first at-bat last night he told the Nat's catcher that his back was sore so "just throw it down the middle, I'm not swinging". Ramos didn't believe him of course but true to his word, he didn't swing at any pitch the whole night.

And check out Zimmerman's steal off him too. Easiest steal ever. He could have made it on his hands and knees.

• Advertisement

Bartolo Colon giving us more reasons to smile. When he arrived at the plate for his first at-bat last night he told the Nat's catcher that his back was sore so "just throw it down the middle, I'm not swinging". Ramos didn't believe him of course but true to his word, he didn't swing at any pitch the whole night.

And check out Zimmerman's steal off him too. Easiest steal ever. He could have made it on his hands and knees.

Happy Birthday, Bart! https://youtu.be/MLfh_ZPQnzY

Too bad you couldn't throw back-to-back games... Ugh.

Some game on later!

Arrieta against the red birds. Stats tell me not to bet on Cubs. Tempted I have to say!

Some game on later!

Arrieta against the red birds. Stats tell me not to bet on Cubs. Tempted I have to say!

Is that against a line or is it straight up? Can't see it being worth your while betting the Cubs with Arieta on the mound. What are the odds?

Cubs are around 2/5 I think. Cardinals have better OPs so not backing. Went for Kansas to beat minnesota, stupidly it would appear at present!, but Cubs/St. Louis should be good.

Only bet maybe in Chicago game is under 7 runs.

All good things come to an end perhaps?

some tribute to a pitcher that a hit - before they scored - get an ovation!!

Go on the Royals of Kansas City :-)

Only bet maybe in Chicago game is under 7 runs.

I hope you didn't take that

I didn't. Bad enough backing Kansas...

That was Arrieta's worst game in long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I dont even want to say anything... but the Mariners have been doing (really) well.

I've lost track of the number of seasons I've witnessed them crumble though...

fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I dont even want to say anything... but the Mariners have been doing (really) well.

fingers crossed.
    Before moving to West Kerry I lived near Seattle for 10 years. Followed the Mariners a lot, attended a few games at that beautiful stadium. Team had terrible luck with free agents - Adrian Beltre, Richie Sexson, that stiff from the Angels who did absolutely nothing for them, and with rare exceptions (King Felix) didn't develop much from the minors. Still, with the latest manager and Cano coming around, hopefully proving he's not yet another big time failure as a FA, they have a chance. They have Felix who is working on a Hall of Fame career and a few good pitchers around him. Hopefully they can keep it up in what does NOT seem to be a particularly strong division this year.

I did like watching Bucky Jacobson bat though. Feast or famine. And Ichiro is definitely first ballot HOF, what an amazing player. Still going too!

Jackie Bradley's hitting streak ends at 29 :(

Bogaerts still going though, he's going for his 20th game tomorrow

Travel 3000+ miles to watch a few games then turn away and miss one pitch and it's the one where Noah Syndegarrd throws behind Utley and gets tossed. And no replays on the big screen either.

Bloody hell though, last laugh definitely with Utley this weekend. 9 RBIs in 2 games and he still hasn't been hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

At last the Jays are a game over .500. Great comeback last night too.

Igotadose wrote: »
    I did like watching Bucky Jacobson bat though. Feast or famine. And Ichiro is definitely first ballot HOF, what an amazing player. Still going too!

I remember Bucky Jacobson!

Its been good to see Dan WIlson and Edgar Martinez back working for the Mariners too.

Cracker of a game in Toronto. Don't get to watch the Red Sox enough this season but was home early and had the tv to myself so just got over 4 hours of baseball!

Xander Bogaerts hit for the 22nd game in a row, longest streak in the majors currently and 2nd highest of the year after Jackie Bradley's 29. Mookie Betts is looking like he might hot up - really like this kid. And Blake Swihart looking good defensively as a left fielder.

Still punching above our weight but good to get the win for David Price who wasn't at his best but still pitched well on his first return to the SkyDome since leaving the Jays.

Still think it's Toronto's division but there is a hell of a fight on for 2nd place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Yankees get 1-hit and still manage to win. :)

This season doesn't look like going anywhere, but a pitchers dual like that is fantastic

At the last game of my trip to NY and the most disappointing thing is not that the Mets have lost the last two but that I just topped out at only 40mph on the pitching cage in the fun zone at Citi Field

Edit - should also add I was nowhere near the strike zone either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

InTheTrees wrote: »

fingers crossed.

You totally jinxed it.

• Advertisement

You totally jinxed it.

I know!!!

If they lose today (down by 1, top of the 6th) it'll be four in a row...

:mad:

EDIT: Phew, I think i'm okay... Mariners are up by 7 now. 9-2, bot 8th. (They're playing the padres at home, 1st game of 3).

Advertisement