Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

A few photos from the weekend.

qq3761.jpg

346otav.jpg

t06au9.jpg

s5wjub.jpg

160eg05.jpg

2cfprfc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice! What a great way to spend a weekend, taking in the games at Citi.

Now to get a few guys healthy and start scoring more runs, especially without so much reliance on the home run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I know!!!

If they lose today (down by 1, top of the 6th) it'll be four in a row...

:mad:

EDIT: Phew, I think i'm okay... Mariners are up by 7 now. 9-2, bot 8th. (They're playing the padres at home, 1st game of 3).

Yep, and today's game looks pretty safe too. Why could they not have hit the Twins like this, even for one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yep, and today's game looks pretty safe too. Why could they not have hit the Twins like this, even for one game.

Good god, its at...16-0 now

Crazy that they were swept by the twins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Good god, its at...16-0 now

Crazy that they were swept by the twins.

James Shields game score today is -1

• Advertisement

A few photos from the weekend.

Nice pictures. Always liked Citi Field.

Looks like I'll be in NY in September. I guess by that stage it might be easier to get a ticket for a Yankees game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

At the last game of my trip to NY and the most disappointing thing is not that the Mets have lost the last two but that I just topped out at only 40mph on the pitching cage in the fun zone at Citi Field

Edit - should also add I was nowhere near the strike zone either.

Is your real name Matz?

Sorry, couldn't help it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Nice pictures. Always liked Citi Field.

Looks like I'll be in NY in September. I guess by that stage it might be easier to get a ticket for a Yankees game.

They began just a little harder to get this year: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/sports/baseball/some-yankees-tickets-require-a-long-walk.html?_r=0

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Is your real name Matz?

Sorry, couldn't help it :)

Weren't you sending him to the minors after he got knocked around in his first start of the season? Then he went on a 7-0 run with an ERA around 1.

3 runs in only 5.2 innings last night wasn't great but you're going to get a night like that every now and then but I'd still take him over a good percentage of the pitchers out there.

Weren't you sending him to the minors after he got knocked around in his first start of the season? Then he went on a 7-0 run with an ERA around 1.

3 runs in only 5.2 innings last night wasn't great but you're going to get a night like that every now and then but I'd still take him over a good percentage of the pitchers out there.

You may have noticed the :) !

• Advertisement

You may have noticed the :) !

Hey I'm old. I never know if they're a smirk or for sarcasm.

Hey I'm old. I never know if they're a smirk or for sarcasm.

I'm old too, so don't do sarcasm!

Pirates starting to get their act together of late. Same record as Mets coincidentally.

I'm old too, so don't do sarcasm!

Pirates starting to get their act together of late. Same record as Mets coincidentally.

Starting pitching has been woeful bar Cole and bullpen has been worse. If they're serious about this season they have to look at promoting some of their young lads who are ripping up the minors - Glasnow/Kuhl/Taillon

8-10 wrote: »
    Starting pitching has been woeful bar Cole and bullpen has been worse. If they're serious about this season they have to look at promoting some of their young lads who are ripping up the minors - Glasnow/Kuhl/Taillon

Might be a blip of course, but their stats have been steadily improving over last two weeks or so.

Might be a blip of course, but their stats have been steadily improving over last two weeks or so.

As a whole maybe but Nicasio and Liriano are getting no better recently. Liriano probably stays in the rotation all season but Nicasio surely drops at some stage so how long do you give him?

Fair point. This time last season, Nicasio had ERA of 1.57 with the Dodgers. And ended at 3.86. Okay, you have undermined my optimism!

What a crazy game in San Diego. Mariners were down 12-2 after 5 innings, but hit 5 runs in the 6th and 7 in the 7th and are now up 14-12. Padres pitching has just imploded.

What a crazy game in San Diego. Mariners were down 12-2 after 5 innings, but hit 5 runs in the 6th and 7 in the 7th and are now up 14-12. Padres pitching has just imploded.

The Padres owner isn't going be happy with that. He was calling them out on the radio after a bad loss a couple of days back. Can't wait to see what he says and does after another meltdown.

Igotadose wrote: »

Now to get a few guys healthy and start scoring more runs, especially without so much reliance on the home run.

That's not working out too well now. D'arnaud and Duda already out long term and now Wright gone for 4-6 weeks (which in Mets language means he's done for the year probably!).

So with Loney and Reynolds at the corners (with Flores platooning them both) I don't think we'll be seeing too much offence from the bottom half of the order.

Cespedes and Conforto struggling at the top too so they need to snap out of it soon!

The Padres owner isn't going be happy with that. He was calling them out on the radio after a bad loss a couple of days back. Can't wait to see what he says and does after another meltdown.

The whole series was crazy

jnfpgMa.jpg

• Advertisement

An astute gambler identified Mariners as team to bet on for overs about a month ago. I'd imagine the bookies have copped on to him by now!

Arizona and Cubs could be interesting. Arizona hitting stats are quite impressive for a team with a pretty dismal W - L. Due obviously to sometimes suicidal pitching!

Add dismal fielding to above! Have to say that the wall in Wrigley reminds me of when we used to play hurling in Fairview Park and the ball would get lost in the bushes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What is it with BT Sport these days.

No baseball at midnight, mind you they had Arizona v Chicago earlier.

Instead we have X Games and Women's NCAA World Series.

Sooner the NBA finals are over the better

What is it with BT Sport these days.

No baseball at midnight, mind you they had Arizona v Chicago earlier.

Instead we have X Games and Women's NCAA World Series.

Sooner the NBA finals are over the better

Wait until they start showing the little league World Series instead of MLB games. And that happens with about a month left in the season when races are heating up!

To be fair though, I think their contract might be to show a specific number of games throughout the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cubs have came out of their 1st stick patch of losing 8 in 12 by winning 9 of the next 10. When is it appropriate to actually get excited about this season? :)

SantryRed wrote: »
    Cubs have came out of their 1st stick patch of losing 8 in 12 by winning 9 of the next 10. When is it appropriate to actually get excited about this season? :)

When they're 3-0 up in the World Series and leading 7-0 in the 9th in game 4. It's the Cubs remember.

SantryRed wrote: »

When they clear the first five rows of nerdy types wearing head phones :)

They looked nervous last night until Arizona basically imploded on the field. Lackey was good in fairness, but so was Bradley until the fk ups. Ten strike outs I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Padres agree to trade SP James Shields to the White Sox

Padres agree to trade SP James Shields to the White Sox

Sums up the Padres week. They gave up a big prospect to get him and now they're paying a good chunk of his salary for the WS to take him away.

Edit - presuming they're eating some of his salary of course.

• Advertisement

Mets catcher Kevin Plaweki playing baseball tonight as if it's the first time he's ever played.

First not standing on home plate on a bases loaded force play so the run scores then getting picked off second base after falling for a trick id say you'd only see in little league.

1,000 strikeouts for Stephen Strasburg. First National to reach that total.

The joys of being a rookie. Apparently the Astros took the the keys from one of their rookies and parked his car in centre field for BP. Only hit once which isn't too bad I suppose.

Baseball really is played by kids isn't it?

Dropping like flies in Mets land. Already without Duda, D'Arnaud and Wight, Cespedas with a dodgy hip couldn't play today then Lagares goes over on his wrist so it's up to Jacob De Grom to pinch hit in the 9th. I would have put Thor in myself. He has 2 HRs this season.

Sums up the Padres week. They gave up a big prospect to get him and now they're paying a good chunk of his salary for the WS to take him away.

Edit - presuming they're eating some of his salary of course.

Eating 29 mill of the 56 he's owed. Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Dropping like flies in Mets land. Already without Duda, D'Arnaud and Wight, Cespedas with a dodgy hip couldn't play today then Lagares goes over on his wrist so it's up to Jacob De Grom to pinch hit in the 9th. I would have put Thor in myself. He has 2 HRs this season.

I hate it when Thor bats. He bats lefty! Ralph Kiner would be going nuts in the booth about protected that right elbow

Does seem like the injury bug's hitting hard, well, time will tell how well they recover. They should still be hungry after last year in the WS, so take some panadol, a shot of novocaine and get out there, lads.

• Advertisement

No baseball on TV here tonight :-(

Was hoping to see Arrieta again.

No baseball on TV here tonight :-(

Was hoping to see Arrieta again.

There's always a free game on mlb.tv. It was the mets v Marlins today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What is it with aces, or even detect to good starters,and the lack of run support.

Twice now in his last two starts Arrieta has got no run support, deGrom was the same for the Mets last week.

Some lad with an ERA in the 6s and they would be ripping the cover off the ball, but the ace, no, let's sit back and he will do the work.

Frustrating.

What is it with aces, or even detect to good starters,and the lack of run support.

Twice now in his last two starts Arrieta has got no run support, deGrom was the same for the Mets last week.

Some lad with an ERA in the 6s and they would be ripping the cover off the ball, but the ace, no, let's sit back and he will do the work.

Frustrating.

Will be the Cubs downfall one suspects in Autumn. Too many of them going out easily even to mediocre pitching staffs like Arizona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Man, what does Marco Estrada have to do to get that no-hitter? Two 'almosts' last year and now another this, break your heart.

Jays starting to put it together now, 5 series wins in a row. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

And that vaunted Yankees back end of the bullpen is looking mighty shaky! :pac:

mod9maple wrote: »
    And that vaunted Yankees back end of the bullpen is looking mighty shaky! :pac:

Sssshhhhh..

Wheels are coming off a bit for Mariners - starting pitching has been pretty weak with Felix on the DL and the rest having subpar outings. Iwakuma did the bullpen a big favour by going 7 innings yesterday but the ERA for the starters is up around 8 for the last couple of weeks. They've also had injuries to Leonys Martin and Katel Marte just as they were starting to play well.

Of course, all this would happen when they have to play 17 days in a row.

Wheels are coming off a bit for Mariners - starting pitching has been pretty weak with Felix on the DL and the rest having subpar outings. Iwakuma did the bullpen a big favour by going 7 innings yesterday but the ERA for the starters is up around 8 for the last couple of weeks. They've also had injuries to Leonys Martin and Katel Marte just as they were starting to play well.

Of course, all this would happen when they have to play 17 days in a row.

You're going to get ups and downs during a season. Even the best teams will go through stages when either as a group they don't perform or one part, either the offence, starters or bullpen will struggle.

The Cubs are in a bit of a lull at the moment but that won't last and I'm sure there'll be a stage sometime when the Red Sox won't score a million runs a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Cubs are in a bit of a lull at the moment but that won't last and I'm sure there'll be a stage sometime when the Red Sox won't score a million runs a game.

Ahem!!! 39-16 with the best record in baseball going 8-2 in their last ten. I think that's a lull a lot of teams would wish for!!

tallpaul wrote: »
    Ahem!!! 39-16 with the best record in baseball going 8-2 in their last ten. I think that's a lull a lot of teams would wish for!!

Yeah, sorry. I'm wrong there. There was a patch a week or so ago when they lost a few wasn't there or am I imagining that too?

Or maybe I'm just looking forward to October.....!!!

Yeah, sorry. I'm wrong there. There was a patch a week or so ago when they lost a few wasn't there or am I imagining that too?

Or maybe I'm just looking forward to October.....!!!

The point I was trying to make though was that every team slumps at some point and I'm sure there will be a stage when the Cubs go 3-7 or 2-8 or something.

You could not make this up!

Idiot of a Cubs fan stopped a two run Byrant homer by stopping ball going over barrier.

Fkn clown is sitting there laughing with his idiot girlfriend as I type.

Two of them have just been thrown out by security.

Proper order. Should be banned for life.

You could not make this up!

Idiot of a Cubs fan stopped a two run Byrant homer by stopping ball going over barrier.

Fkn clown is sitting there laughing with his idiot girlfriend as I type.

Two of them have just been thrown out by security.

Proper order. Should be banned for life.

Bit harsh no? I think all of us would be reaching for that ball, in the heat of the moment.

https://twitter.com/FightinPhillies/status/739964544055922688

He stood up and leaned over. Had he sat where he was it would have landed in his lap!

Still only 1 - 0 top of fourth. His idiocy could cost his team the game yet.

Of course he deserved to be thrown out.

In fact right on cue Heyward homers into same zone and ball lands at feet of Phillies fan in front row!

3 - 0

• Advertisement
Advertisement