Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He stood up and leaned over. Had he sat where he was it would have landed in his lap!

Still only 1 - 0 top of fourth. His idiocy could cost his team the game yet.

Of course he deserved to be thrown out.

Deserved to be thrown out - sure. But banned for life - maybe not.

It's a natural human instinct to reach up for a ball that you see coming towards you - I doubt he even realised what he was doing until it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Okay, I take back the life ban!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It wasn't going over the barrier either. He very clearly reached over. Was never going out of the park.

I suggest you look at it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I looked at it a few times yesterday and I don't think it was going out either. The umpires have the authority to award a home run if the replay shows it would have been a home run. In this case they ruled it a double.

I have. Look at where it his his arms and look at where his arms are. He doesn't deviate the dip on the ball and it very clearly wasn't going over. The commentators on the game were all in agreement too, and they took the guts of 5 minutes in NY looking at it back. Everyone was in agreement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Painful watching the Mets offence at the moment. 2 runs in 3 games along with a million strike outs. You can tell by looking at the players that they've been drained of all confidence and everyone from top to bottom of the order looks lost at the plate. The only ones swinging the bats with any gusto are the pitchers!

9 losses on a row to the Pirates now apparently too.

On the bright side, great scrap between the Orioles and the Royals tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

8-10 wrote: »
    Starting pitching has been woeful bar Cole and bullpen has been worse. If they're serious about this season they have to look at promoting some of their young lads who are ripping up the minors - Glasnow/Kuhl/Taillon

Taillon the first up. Debut against Noah Syndergaard tonight!

Taillon the first up. Debut against Noah Syndergaard tonight!

Lucky for him he's facing a team that couldn't score against my 40mph fast ball.

If he can throw it anywhere near the strike zone he'll get 12 ground ball outs and around 8-9 strikeouts all by throwing about 75 pitches. That seems to be the M.O. for Mets hitting these days.

All the Pirates hitters have to do then is score 1-2 runs and he'll get a win too.

• Advertisement

Lucky for him he's facing a team that couldn't score against my 40mph fast ball.

If he can throw it anywhere near the strike zone he'll get 12 ground ball outs and around 8-9 strikeouts all by throwing about 75 pitches. That seems to be the M.O. for Mets hitting these days.

All the Pirates hitters have to do then is score 1-2 runs and he'll get a win too.

I wouldn't be so confident in the kid, he's had a lot of injuries and you just have to look at Julio Urias recently to show how over-hyping prospects doesn't always work out of the gate, even if they have been dominant at minor level. Urias is going to be a top pitcher and Taillon has top of the rotation upside but I'm not going to be backing the win tonight - especially against a 6-2 starter with sub 2-ERA!

In fact with Watson, Melancon and Neftali Feliz all pitching yesterday (the latter 2 pitching in both games), the Pirates bullpen won't be in great shape today. Even if Taillon pitches well, he'll likely be pulled early as it's his first start. He'll hardly go 7 or 8 innings. Could only be 2 or 3 if he starts getting hit. That's going to be a big strain on the 'pen, giving Mets a good shout.

I hope he pitches well and could see this being a 0-0 or 1-0 game after 5 innings with Mets pulling away late on.

I wouldn't be so confident in the kid, he's had a lot of injuries and you just have to look at Julio Urias recently to show how over-hyping prospects doesn't always work out of the gate, even if they have been dominant at minor level. Urias is going to be a top pitcher and Taillon has top of the rotation upside but I'm not going to be backing the win tonight - especially against a 6-2 starter with sub 2-ERA!

In fact with Watson, Melancon and Neftali Feliz all pitching yesterday (the latter 2 pitching in both games), the Pirates bullpen won't be in great shape today. Even if Taillon pitches well, he'll likely be pulled early as it's his first start. He'll hardly go 7 or 8 innings. Could only be 2 or 3 if he starts getting hit. That's going to be a big strain on the 'pen, giving Mets a good shout.

I hope he pitches well and could see this being a 0-0 or 1-0 game after 5 innings with Mets pulling away late on.

The thing with Urias is that he was only 19. This guy was drafted in the same year as Syndegaard and Harvey so in theory should be more mature and be able to handle the pressure a bit better. Of course he's going to be nervous, especially as it's a home game and he'll probably have tonnes of family there but he really couldn't have asked for a better opponent to make his debut.

The Mets are last in the league in every batting statistic, except HRs (where they're bizarrely near the top). The Mets hitters are almost trying too hard at the moment and swinging at everything so pitchers are getting through innings in 10-11 pitches and aren't driving up pitch counts so if he can keep it in or around the zone I'd expect him to do alright and go maybe 6 or so.

Mets only got 5 and 6 innings out of their starters yesterday too so their bullpen will be stretched today too. Although if Thor can go 7, Reed and Familla are fresh. Anything less and there'll be trouble.

The thing with Urias is that he was only 19. This guy was drafted in the same year as Syndegaard and Harvey so in theory should be more mature and be able to handle the pressure a bit better. Of course he's going to be nervous, especially as it's a home game and he'll probably have tonnes of family there but he really couldn't have asked for a better opponent to make his debut.

The Mets are last in the league in every batting statistic, except HRs (where they're bizarrely near the top). The Mets hitters are almost trying too hard at the moment and swinging at everything so pitchers are getting through innings in 10-11 pitches and aren't driving up pitch counts so if he can keep it in or around the zone I'd expect him to do alright and go maybe 6 or so.

Mets only got 5 and 6 innings out of their starters yesterday too so their bullpen will be stretched today too. Although if Thor can go 7, Reed and Familla are fresh. Anything less and there'll be trouble.

Well I'll happily have a friendly wager with you that Mets will win and you can have the Pirates?

I do hope you're right though since I'm starting Taillon in the keeper league :p

I actually think there's value in the Double Result bet: Pirates - Mets, meaning Pirates leading after 4.5 innings, Mets winning at the end. It's 9/1. I'm going to have a little on that and Tie - Mets Double Result @ 13/2

Well I'll happily have a friendly wager with you that Mets will win and you can have the Pirates?

I do hope you're right though since I'm starting Taillon in the keeper league :p

I actually think there's value in the Double Result bet: Pirates - Mets, meaning Pirates leading after 4.5 innings, Mets winning at the end. It's 9/1. I'm going to have a little on that and Tie - Mets Double Result @ 13/2

Ha ha, I'd never bet against my team!!!

No way I'm staying up until 3am again tonight to see who's right though. 18 innings and 2 runs yesterday was enough for me for a while!

Potential bad news today for Phillies fans and baseball fans in general. Vince Velasquez had to leave the game with a sore bicep after throwing 2 fastballs around 86mph.

Awful news if it is what we hope it isn't. I hate seeing young pitchers going down.

Overall I'd call it a decent if not perfect prediction. Taillon pitched well (apparently, haven't seen more than 2mins highlights) for a quality start, going 6 innings. But so did Thor ending in a no-decision with a tie game between the starters.

Then Pirates bullpen combined to lose the game. With Melancon and Feliz unavailable, each of Schugel, Luebke and Hughes gave up an earned run winning it in the end for the Mets

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/182934742/ty-kelly-michael-conforto-mets-beat-pirates?game_pk=447758

• Advertisement

Kershaw v Cueto tonight. 0-0?

Moneys on Hammel and the Cubs.

Just reading again about Sidd Finch Jack. Classic :-)

Anyone hear anything about Texas v Houston on Thursday? Night Perez started.

Texas won, but bookies are not paying out on it!

They just did. Must be reading boards.ie!

Very strange that they take so long, and give reason as "investigation" into match, which suggests some sort of shennagains!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Moneys on Hammel and the Cubs.

Just reading again about Sidd Finch Jack. Classic :-)

What did I say last week about the Cubs lineup giving the good pitchers no run support ?

1 run off 4 hits last night, Atlanta had 5 off 12 hits.

Arietta goes today and Chicago are a massive favourite, -265 on the money line, but backing them is worrying

What did I say last week about the Cubs lineup giving the good pitchers no run support ?

1 run off 4 hits last night, Atlanta had 5 off 12 hits.

Arietta goes today and Chicago are a massive favourite, -265 on the money line, but backing them is worrying

Their hitting has been atrocious of late. Atlanta ffs! They are going out tamely.

Not a team you could back with confidence even with Jake throwing.

• Advertisement

Mets teasing their fans with a warning that an announcement with bad news is on the way. So it's either another big injury or a PED suspension. Just tell us for God's sake.

EDIT - Turns out that it was news that Terry Collins was taken to hospital. I kind of feel ashamed of myself for feeling a bit relieved that it wasn't an injury or news of a suspension. Get well soon Terry!

Bloody hell, the Mets injury list is just getting ridiculous. Currently out:

1B - Duda
    2B - Walker
    3B - Wright
    LF - Conforto
    C - D'Arnaud

Triple A line up being put out at the moment.

EDIT - And Juan Lagares out tonight with a toothache!

Anyone else love the idea of a pitchers HR derby at the All-Star break? It'll never happen but I'd think it'd be great to see.

Nats go 2-1 up on Cubs in the 8th. 4 pitches of the ninth later and Bryant got to second and Rizzo crushes a home run to put them 3-2 up. Great scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So what have the Cubs got that the Yankees will want back for Miller or Chapman???

So what have the Cubs got that the Yankees will want back for Miller or Chapman???

There was a lot of talk yesterday in the media that they should explore trading for one or both of them. And that was before last night's blown saves.

Miller will be the more expensive as he has 2 years left (Kyle Schwarber?) but Chapman would be a lot cheaper as he'd only be a rental.

One of the Cubs fans here will know more than me obviously but isn't the farm system fairly well stocked and there are positions with log jams? So they probably have the pieces to do something.

They're a million games up and I know they wouldn't make any decision based on one game but is the back end of the bullpen a worry or was last night just a blip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Not so great second series against the Nats for the Cubs although they end the regular season (already!) 5-2. However their respective form would suggest that the NLCS will be between the two teams.

Starting pitchers for the Cubs I think are broadly fine but they will need to bolster Strop and Rondon if they are to go all the way. Cubs were good in the series with tough baseball played by both teams. Tbh I think these two are probably way ahead of any other team at present, AL included.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Not so great second series against the Nats for the Cubs although they end the regular season (already!) 5-2. However their respective form would suggest that the NLCS will be between the two teams.

Starting pitchers for the Cubs I think are broadly fine but they will need to bolster Strop and Rondon if they are to go all the way. Cubs were good in the series with tough baseball played by both teams. Tbh I think these two are probably way ahead of any other team at present, AL included.

I think the Giants are in the same group as those 2, behind the Cubs but up there with the Nats. But it's not about who's the best now. It's about getting to October. God knows how the teams will be playing then and what injuries teams have.

Look at last season, the Cubs beat the Mets 7-0 in regular season play but got swept in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Incidentally I see that MLB Premium TV has been reduced to half-price of $49. Tax is another $11.50 which works out around €55 for the rest of the season and the playoffs. I went for this last night and I have to say that the picture quality on an iPad is eye-poppingly good.

I had it last year (from later in the season) and is better than the TV broadcast as you can overlay pitch counts, box scores etc. over the broadcast while watching. Apparently if you have the latest Apple TV, you can even watch two games at the one time! Also the full version of the MLB At Bat apps are also unlocked.

Recommended.

Incidentally I see that MLB Premium TV has been reduced to half-price of $49. Tax is another $11.50 which works out around €55 for the rest of the season and the playoffs. I went for this last night and I have to say that the picture quality on an iPad is eye-poppingly good.

I had it last year (from later in the season) and is better than the TV broadcast as you can overlay pitch counts, box scores etc. over the broadcast while watching. Apparently if you have the latest Apple TV, you can even watch two games at the one time! Also the full version of the MLB At Bat apps are also unlocked.

Recommended.

That's a great price for what is a great product.The Apple TV app is pretty cool too.

• Advertisement

So would you make a trade for one of the Yankees relievers?

Colby Lewis in perfect game bid right now - free to watch on mlb.tv too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I think the Giants are in the same group as those 2, behind the Cubs but up there with the Nats. But it's not about who's the best now. It's about getting to October. God knows how the teams will be playing then and what injuries teams have.

Look at last season, the Cubs beat the Mets 7-0 in regular season play but got swept in the playoffs.

Being great now means nothing as a long time Nats fan. What the Nats have right now though is strong at bats. Ramos, Werth, Rendon are the key guys and its not about Harper and Muprhy being good those guys will show up in the playoffs but we need Ramos, Rendon, Werth to keep being big in big spots and hopefully Zimmerman can also produce.

Right now I like our squad the depth is there and we have some guys who can come up and produce as well. Papelbon will need to be right if we are to go deep but otherwise it's hard not to like what this team is doing at the manager is clued in as well.

I'm genuinely optimistic but also wary. That Mets rotation could still come around and make the division a damn hard slog .. which is sort of what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Bluejays really starting to heat up, looking like legit World Series contenders again.

yup! Looking great, so enjoyable to watch again! God, I would give anything for the post season again this year, the city was absolutely electric last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Bluejays really starting to heat up, looking like legit World Series contenders again.

Its about time, we were starting to worry

Its about time, we were starting to worry

Offense seemed out of form at the same time and the bullpen was awful. With Grilli coming in and Sanchez being moved it should be okay now. Edwin is on fire, Saunders really coming into his own, Donaldson finding form again and Tulo and Joey Bats yet to show us what they can do yet.

Exciting times ahead. Hopefully they can keep it going.

Offense seemed out of form at the same time and the bullpen was awful. With Grilli coming in and Sanchez being moved it should be okay now. Edwin is on fire, Saunders really coming into his own, Donaldson finding form again and Tulo and Joey Bats yet to show us what they can do yet.

Exciting times ahead. Hopefully they can keep it going.

Gonna miss Batistuta for the next couple of weeks though.

QKiH9Ev.png

ndW0s1C.png

Hopefully take at least one more off the O's in this series and then its no AL East games until the end of July!

• Advertisement

Gonna miss Batistuta for the next couple of weeks though.

Yeah he did a good job as lead off man, got alot of walks, but as long as Donaldson, Edwin and Saunders stay in form we'll be fine. Guys at the bottom of the order, Martin, Travis, Smoak and Barney even are starting to heat up.

Yeah he did a good job as lead off man, got alot of walks, but as long as Donaldson, Edwin and Saunders stay in form we'll be fine. Guys at the bottom of the order, Martin, Travis, Smoak and Barney even are starting to heat up.

I like seeing Toronto doing well and hope they keep it up. That division is stacked though. Good that they have a break from it for a while. Time to beat up on the other divisions

Great to see Tim Lincecum back. Hope he's got something left in the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Its an interesting year thus far, a lot of talk the cubs and rightly so but what Texas have been doing is possibly more impressive. No one would have put them on that sort of mark at this point in the season.

AL East is really interesting with the Redsox, BlueJays and O's. Going to be at least one disappointed team in there I think but overall it's been an impressive season. I've really enjoyed it thus far and going to America this weekend looking forward to getting to a few live games while I am there.

Anyone any advice on where to see some triple A games in or around Washington, Pittsburgh or Cleveland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Well lads.. Just watched the new pitchers documentary "Fastball"

It's excellent.. Well worth a watch

Well lads.. Just watched the new pitchers documentary "Fastball"

It's excellent.. Well worth a watch

I wouldn't mind seeing that. Where did you see it?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind seeing that. Where did you see it?

Its available from Amazon later this month I think.

Should be a happy. Ireland win and into the last 16 and the Mets sweep a 2 game series against the Royals.

Then in the press conference afterwards Collins says that Syndegaard left the game with 'elbow discomfort'. We all know what that means. I dread reading the news when I wake up tomorrow.

(and Cespedes left the game with a wrist injury too)

Edit - no structural damage but that's 2 scares this season already so it's only a matter of time I think before he pays a visit to Mr. John.

Good start for Cubs in Miami. 6 hits, 4 runs, 2 homers, top of the first!

Looks like minor losing streak might be about to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Bad day at the office for the Royals Volquez. His line: 1 inning pitched, 8 hits (incl. a grand slam), 12 runs, 11 earned, 3 walks. Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I see Vladimir Guerrero's son hit his first professional homer. I feel old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement