Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Cubs game was weird. Bour tied it 4 - 4 in bottom of first with grand slam. Cubs won with run in 7th. Hendricks ERA only took small hit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Did anyone else catch the fact that George Springer of the Astros the other night became the first player since 1900 (!) to hit a triple and a grand slam in the first inning? Wow. Gotta love baseball and it's stats.

Speaking of which I think Ichiro is down to 16 to go to reach 3000. Anyone hazard a guess when he'll do it? I see he's also hitting almost .350! I'm going to say August 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

mod9maple wrote: »
    Did anyone else catch the fact that George Springer of the Astros the other night became the first player since 1900 (!) to hit a triple and a grand slam in the first inning? Wow. Gotta love baseball and it's stats.

Speaking of which I think Ichiro is down to 16 to go to reach 3000. Anyone hazard a guess when he'll do it? I see he's also hitting almost .350! I'm going to say August 1 or 2.

Been a crazy few days. Did you see the Red Sox and the Rangers the other night? Mookie Betts hits a 2 run homer to tie it (they scored 4 in the 8th) and then they took the lead after a pitch went astray.

It's my first proper season following Baseball. Really enjoying it. BlueJays became only the third MLB team ever too concede 7 home runs and still win today too! Mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Cubs game was weird. Bour tied it 4 - 4 in bottom of first with grand slam. Cubs won with run in 7th. Hendricks ERA only took small hit!

Great match up today with the Cubs hitters going up against Jose Fernandez.

I'm a big fan of MLB.tv and the At-Bat app but today I've had an alert for a perfect game and one for a no hitter and in both cases the pitcher had only pitched 5 innings. Surely too early to be getting giddy at the prospect of it happening?

Great match up today with the Cubs hitters going up against Jose Fernandez.

hitting is letting them down. 4 - 1 up I think last night in Miami and got beaten? that will be their downfall I think.

good game at moment Dodgers and Pittsburgh.

good game at moment Dodgers and Pittsburgh.

What a special debut for Kuhl.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    What a special debut for Kuhl.

I think you're burying the lead here. Kershaw gave up 4 runs! And they all came in one inning. He is human after all.

hitting is letting them down. 4 - 1 up I think last night in Miami and got beaten? that will be their downfall I think.

Fernandez is that good though. Scoring only a run against him isn't unusual.

• Advertisement

Strange game between the Yankees and the Rangers last night with a rain delay of nearly 4 hours and the game finishing just before 3am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Strange game between the Yankees and the Rangers last night with a rain delay of nearly 4 hours and the game finishing just before 3am.

Why don't they have a limit on the delay allowed?? Sorry if they already have.. I just don't see who it benefits letting a game run that late with team schedules

Why don't they have a limit on the delay allowed?? Sorry if they already have.. I just don't see who it benefits letting a game run that late with team schedules

I don't know but would be interested in hearing from someone who does. I know that after they play 5 innings or 4.5 if the home team is ahead it's an official game so they couldn't just postpone it and continue today and once the inning started, i suppose they had to sit it out and see it through. It would have been interesting if it didn't stop.

What a day this must have been!

5 hours, 54 minutes, July 2, 1993, Philadelphia

The Padres and Phillies endured nearly six hours of rain delays in this game which was, get this, the first game of a doubleheader. The game was delayed at the start by an hour and 10 minutes, by nearly two hours after the third inning and by two hours and 48 minutes after the fifth. The game started at 4:35 pm and ended at 1:03 am. Then the two teams took a 25 minute break and started the second game at 1:28. The game had no delays, but it did go 10 innings and take more than three hours to complete, finally coming to an end on a walk-off single off Padres rookie Trevor Hoffman by Phillies closer Mitch Williams. When Pete Incaviglia crossed home plate with the winning run, it was 4:40 am in Philadelphia, making the second game the latest game in major league history.

Imagine only starting a game at 1:30 in the morning.

So the best pitching prospect in baseball, Giolito for the Nats starts tonight against Harvey and the Mets.. Hope he does well

Cubs hopefully grinding out another low scoring game.

And just as I typed that Hamilton homers!

So the best pitching prospect in baseball, Giolito for the Nats starts tonight against Harvey and the Mets.. Hope he does well

One hit and two walks in 4 innings before the rain came. A good start anyway. Might be the end of Gio when Strasburg comes back if he pitches well.

Cubs hopefully grinding out another low scoring game.

And just as I typed that Hamilton homers!

Didn't know about it till I heard them taking about it on the Baseball Tonight podcast but I love that Madden was thinking outside the box again when it went deep into extras and he'd probably ran out of players by having 2 pitchers on the field (one playing in left field) and switching between them to get the match ups he wanted. Genius!

I was praising Joe Madden yesterday, time to give Bruce Bochey some praise today.

The Giants are on the road in an AL park this evening but he's going with Bumgarner over using a DH. I love it.

• Advertisement

Kershaw to the DL.

The Dodgers are 14-2 when Kershaw pitches and 29-35 when someone else does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Giants are not using a DH when playing @ Oakland tonight with Bumgarner pitching - first time since 1976 that a team has not used a DH when one is available.

Honestly, when are robots going to be brought in, Ump had a bad call to call out Donaldson just there and then the next at bat he gets it all wrong with Encarnacion who gets thrown out of the game along with Gibbons, only the 1st inning, what a joke

Canada Day ruined:D

The umpire in Toronto must have something against having to work an early game on a Friday or just doesn't like Canadians celebrating their national day but he's off to a very dodgy start. Two very suspect called strike 3s in the the first inning then he throws out Encarnacion and Gibbons for arguing.

LOL at that "strike" 2 on Saunders there wtf like

f*ck this, honestly!!!

• Advertisement

f*ck this, honestly!!!

3 BJ's kick out now.

5hrs in now 15th Inning

5hrs in now 15th Inning

Have you sat through it all? I'm only checking in every now and then.

Nice escape out of a jam there in the top of the 16th

Have you sat through it all? I'm only checking in every now and then.

Nice escape out of a jam there in the top of the 16th

Yeah, had to work on call for the afternoon so just working away with the game on TV

this time... 1 out players on 1st and 3rd

nope...into the 17th we go

• Advertisement

nope...into the 17th we go

Thought that last pitch was slightly high.

Looks like Goins is coming into pitch!

This should be a laugh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Started watching this at the gym thought id catch the end at home

Continued watching it at dinner

Went out for a few drinks and turned it on and still going :D

Walked home and still going :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Goins did well to get out of that jam...

Unbelievable Goins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Unbelievable Goins!
    I'd have left him in there, he was as effective as a position player can be as a pitcher...Barney gives up the homer that probably loses them the game...

yeah seems like a waste of time really now

Makeup call in Toronto tonight do you think?

Makeup call in Toronto tonight do you think?

With the Carrera slide? Was very very close to see if he touched him or not. Was at the game yesterday, Think Goins got injured and thats why Barney came in. Crazy crazy game.

• Advertisement

Yankees send Eovaldi to the bull pen and Chad Green will now pitch on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Created this baby this week, each station a Yankees player past and present, took a while :)

il_570xN.1001024622_k8in.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice comeback yesterday in Mets/Marlins. Ichiro's up to 2990 hits, and the Mets win. All good. Harvey stunk up the place a bit, but the team bailed him out. Really having an off year, only 4 wins and 10 losses already. Something's wrong and they're not letting on, imho.

And Cespedes for MVP, no doubt. Game-winning hit yet again.

What happened to Giancarlo Stanton? Didn't he used to be good?

4 games back. Gonna be a very interesting July.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Nice comeback yesterday in Mets/Marlins. Ichiro's up to 2990 hits, and the Mets win. All good. Harvey stunk up the place a bit, but the team bailed him out. Really having an off year, only 4 wins and 10 losses already. Something's wrong and they're not letting on, imho.

And Cespedes for MVP, no doubt. Game-winning hit yet again.

What happened to Giancarlo Stanton? Didn't he used to be good?

4 games back. Gonna be a very interesting July.

Hey, where were you when they were dropping 5 out of 7 to the Braves and getting swept by the Nats?

It has been a good couple of days though and much needed. I don't know what they can do with Harvey though. He looks lost.

Stanton is a mystery too though. He has hit a couple of long balls recently but his average is still atrocious. Seems to strike out a lot too. The Marlins have one of the best batting averages in the league so if he was anyway able to contribute they'd be a dangerous team. Although Fernandez looked human last time out.

Ichiro only 10 hits away from 3,000 hits now too!

Hey, where were you when they were dropping 5 out of 7 to the Braves and getting swept by the Nats?

It has been a good couple of days though and much needed. I don't know what they can do with Harvey though. He looks lost.

Stanton is a mystery too though. He has hit a couple of long balls recently but his average is still atrocious. Seems to strike out a lot too. The Marlins have one of the best batting averages in the league so if he was anyway able to contribute they'd be a dangerous team. Although Fernandez looked human last time out.

Away in Scotland and the Orkneys, watching them Brexit. Since we've been back, it's been a winning streak by the Mets!

Marlins' really showed yesterday what good left-handed batting can do against right-handed pitching. Agreed about Stanton, have seen him hit so many ridiculously long home runs against the Mets, shame to see him scuffling. I have a feeling he'll come around (hopefully when playing against teams other than the Mets.)

Nimmo vs. Fernandez... announcers will have a bit of fun with that, one picked ahead of the other in the draft.

Ichiro only 10 hits away from 3,000 hits now too!

The national TV stations (ESPN) should be covering every one of his at-bats as he gets close. It's amazing to see, the guy seemingly stands wrong, swings wrong yet what a body of work and for so long. I wonder if he hangs it up after this season...

Igotadose wrote: »
    Away in Scotland and the Orkneys, watching them Brexit. Since we've been back, it's been a winning streak by the Mets!

No worries, I was only joking. Just making sure you weren't a fair weather supporter ha ha.

Gotta take the rough with the smooth and not only come on to talk about a 10 game win streak!

Doesn't look like Aaron Sanchez is going back to the bullpen anytime soon!

• Advertisement

Jays pinging it around early on against the Royals.

Donaldson 2 swings - 2 homers

Advertisement