Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pegida ireland on tv last night

• 01-04-2016 11:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭

Seemed like decent guys with genuine concerns, it was a shame to see them assaulted by "anti fascists" it was inevitable that pegida ireland wasn't going to have much of a following since we for 1 don't really have a problem with islamic extremism here in ireland (and for those that don't know islamic extremism comes in many different forms not just bombings and murders) and 2 that immigration is only a new thing in ireland and is much more controlled than other countries in Europe. I don't see how anyone could call these guys racist, it seems if you express concern about islam that you are automatically racist. I will be happy to debate anyone on here if you have any valid arguments to how these guys are racist or In the wrong I will gladly listen.

I will just give a quick example of bad immigration, I have a great auntie who is living in England the last 50 years who about 15 years ago had to flee her home because of people predominantly Pakistani being gradually moved into an area over time who were very anti western which caused english people to move out gradually until it was basically a ghetto. Just a quick example to how immigration can be a very bad thing to a country.

And also the fact that being an immigrant in Sweden makes you 17 times more likely to be a rapist.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭jack923

jack923 wrote: »
    Seemed like decent guys with genuine concerns, it was a shame to see them assaulted by "anti fascists" it was inevitable that pegida ireland wasn't going to have much of a following since we for 1 don't really have a problem with islamic extremism here in ireland (and for those that don't know islamic extremism comes in many different forms not just bombings and murders) and 2 that immigration is only a new thing in ireland and is much more controlled than other countries in Europe. I don't see how anyone could call these guys racist, it seems if you express concern about islam that you are automatically racist. I will be happy to debate anyone on here if you have any valid arguments to how these guys are racist or In the wrong I will gladly listen.

I will just give a quick example of bad immigration, I have a great auntie who is living in England the last 50 years who about 15 years ago had to flee her home because of people predominantly Pakistani being gradually moved into an area over time who were very anti western which caused english people to move out gradually until it was basically a ghetto. Just a quick example to how immigration can be a very bad thing to a country.

And also the fact that being an immigrant in Sweden makes you 17 times more likely to be a rapist.

Plenty more examples if anyone needs to hear more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Fast runners will give them that.
    Excellent documentary on immigration, the pediga guy ran in the election in Cork didn't get many votes indicating not much interest in what they are selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I work in office where it's mainly immigrants, plenty of Muslims as well as other creeds or none for that matter. From all over the world. They're an absolute joy to work with tbh... I suppose this doesn't suit your narrative though.

You'll get tonnes of people that aren't very nice people, stereotyping Muslims/immigrants based on bad experiences is idiotic...

B_Wayne wrote: »
    I work in office where it's mainly immigrants, plenty of Muslims as well as other creeds or none for that matter. From all over the world. They're an absolute joy to work with tbh... I suppose this doesn't suit your narrative though.

You'll get tonnes of people that aren't very nice people, stereotyping Muslims/immigrants based on bad experiences is idiotic...

Nobody says there are no good muslims just that mass immigration from 3rd world countries brings lots of new problems to your countries. It seems that if you express concerns about immigration people think you are attacking all immigrants. And by the way your colleagues are probably students who came from Turkey not that it matters but in general people who come as students in general contribute much more to society.

jack923 wrote: »
    Nobody says there are no good muslims just that mass immigration from 3rd world countries brings lots of new problems to your countries. It seems that if you express concerns about immigration people think you are attacking all immigrants. And by the way your colleagues are probably students who came from Turkey not that it matters but in general people who come as students in general contribute much more to society.
    Nope, not students. Pakistan, Nigeria, South Africa and Ivory Coast. Tonnes of other countries. Also have known a fair few people that came as refugees.

O Loughlin on the other hand was using the EDL's Tommy Robinson to launch his campaign. A horrified hooligan/criminal. Think it was the Pegida march in Prague that resulted in the firebombings of a refugee center... But yep, fierce classy. I am grateful that Pegida have pretty much zero support in Ireland.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    Fast runners will give them that.
    Excellent documentary on immigration, the pediga guy ran in the election in Cork didn't get many votes indicating not much interest in what they are selling.

Yeah I agree but also as he said pegida in Germany started with just 40 people and it ended up with having demonstrations of 40,000 people

Nope, not students. Pakistan, Nigeria, South Africa and Ivory Coast. Tonnes of other countries. Also have known a fair few people that came as refugees.

O Loughlin on the other hand was using the EDL's Tommy Robinson to launch his campaign. A horrified hooligan/criminal. Think it was the Pegida march in Prague that resulted in the firebombings of a refugee center... But yep, fierce classy. I am grateful that Pegida have pretty much zero support in Ireland.

I don't believe that your working with every type of person I mentioned not that I'm saying all people from those countries don't contribute to society but just that your saying that just to promote your argument. I wouldn't call tommy Robinson a hooligan he is actually a successful businessman but whatever. Anyway listen what I'm saying is that immigration can be a very bad thing if not controlled in the right way, your clearly oblivious to this seeing that you know a Pakistani lad so you think we should freely let loads come in from these countries because he's a good lad. Not to mention the money it would cost the tax payer on anti terrorism since obviously if you bring in tons of people from countries like Pakistan you are going to get a different breed of bad apple than say Mexico.
    And yeah of course pegida ireland doesn't have much support in Ireland since ireland has no real problem yet. I do though think that the irish government are learning from the mistakes of other EU countries since they are very cautious of immigration from 3rd world countries. Although you obviously think there are no problems caused by immigration in other EU countries it's all just a big conspiracy to be racist

I agree, anecdotes are terrible, although you opened with a negative anecdote so I considered it a fair follow up. The thing is, you ignored much of the point about stereotyping. You're stereotyping a community of 1.6 billion people, that is idiotic and without reason.

Let's be realistic, you probably couldn't care less about Christian refugees fleeing terror. But the fact is, Muslim refugees are fleeing the same terror. Start viewing Muslims as a bunch of potential terrorists, you will isolate groups and create far more radical problems.

I agree, anecdotes are terrible, although you opened with a negative anecdote so I considered it a fair follow up. The thing is, you ignored much of the point about stereotyping. You're stereotyping a community of 1.6 billion people, that is idiotic and without reason.

Let's be realistic, you probably couldn't care less about Christian refugees fleeing terror. But the fact is, Muslim refugees are fleeing the same terror. Start viewing Muslims as a bunch of potential terrorists, you will isolate groups and create far more radical problems.

I don't seeing that most of these refugees are grown men I think they should stay and fight. We should take the women with children but not the grown men. I guess I kind of am stereotyping but it's not a completely incorrect stereotype. Bring a million Syrians into this country or a million Chinese which would you rather bring in? See the problem is if you bring in tons of Pakistanis some of which will be imams the big problem is that you have these imams bring their version of islam that they learned in Pakistan and then teaching it over here. So we then have that version of islam spreading around ireland

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

OP, threads need a little bit more substance than that a group appear to be nice guys on tv or that its not racism to have a view on immigration policy.

And simply throwing out a 17x more likely to be a rapist made up statistic is also below the standards. Im aware that a few studies have suggested a higher rate of beibg charged with rape for persons born outside Sweden, but thats not the same thing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement