Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shunt motor/fan noise

Options
  • 01-04-2016 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't have thought a fan motor would be so noticeable, but my neighbour seems to have their downstairs toilet fan on constantly.

Would I be right in thinking this would be a shunt motor? Im wondering what the life expectancy of these is? and are they particularily noted for being noisy? Id have thought they'd last years, and possibly longer than expected if never switched off, which might expect to reduce the life expectancy of the motor with the repeated switching on and off.

I can hear this noise in the day, but its particularily noticeable at night as a constant humming which transmits through my house, and is right beside our connecting wall between the middle of the building, which happens to be where there seems to be an embedded lintel or some support across my hallway, the noise is particularly bad along this and my hotpress is above that, which I was suprised to notice the sound was louder and more noticeable in when I opened the hotpress door.

I dont come and go at the same time as them and have not seen the owners come and go to speak to them and didnt want to knock to speak to them, but as I havent seen them.

I suspect they have the original fan motors or bought cheap replacements, my own stopped working years ago, and despite good intentions, never got around to replacing them, having said that, there isn't many of us here, and Ive not noticed the fans were particularily effective at removing odours and generally since I came to the conclusion they were almost unnecessary.

Advertisement