Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did landlord/Agent break the law?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

beauf wrote: »
    This

That's a quote from earlier. What I quoted was after that where the OP admits withholding rent. Intentionally.
    Op's rent was due on Friday the 1st, he admitted he hasn't paid it and has not updated us since if he has or not. Last we know, OP's is in arrears.
    Are you reading this thread selectively or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It was all posted the same time about 10 mins apart.

They said they were paid up. The post after that is referring (IMO) to withholding rent before they paid all rent outstanding, within the 14 days notice.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong.

Posted all this previously.
    This story makes little sense. A LL giving notice a month into a lease. A tenant who wants to make a case for illegal eviction. If you have been there for 6 months how can you not know when when your rent is due and by what date. Saying amounts & dates suggested this has happened more than once. Perhaps that just a typo.

Otherwise thus far it would seem nothing has actually happened. The LL has given invalid notice originally. Now you've been late with rent, but paid it within the 14 days notice. That sounds like there is no rent due, no outstanding notices, and no outstanding issue.

The only issue is at the end of the year the LL might still intend to sell the house.

I suspect its not the only time rent with withheld, but I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

It was all posted the same time about 10 mins apart.

They said they were paid up. The post after that is referring (IMO) to withholding rent before they paid all rent outstanding, within the 14 days notice.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong.

And maybe I am interpreting it wrong. It just all seems suspicious to me. The whole point about the OP looking to 'have something' on the LL yet admitting to being in arrears sounds more like a problem tenant than a problem LL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not clear- and was not clarified by the OP........

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but sort of related.

If a tenant is continually being late with rent but paying it inside the 14 days notice of rent arrears is there any mechanism for eviction or does a LL just have to tolerate a tenant being all over the place with the day they are paying the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Slightly off topic but sort of related.

If a tenant is continually being late with rent but paying it inside the 14 days notice of rent arrears is there any mechanism for eviction or does a LL just have to tolerate a tenant being all over the place with the day they are paying the rent.

There's no cumulative method of being late with rent adding up to a more serious breach, unless it's not paid within the 14 days notice.

Compounded at the end of a tenancy if they are both late and use deposit as rent.

Advertisement