Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight issue

Options
  • 02-04-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi
    I would be interested in any views on the following
    My wife booked a flight to Canada with connecting flight to London, when booking she had the option of an early flight or an afternoon flight from London to Calgary, she booked the afternoon flight at a significantly higher cost ( almost €200 extra) as it suited better with kids childminders etc. She has now been informed by default from Aer Lingus that her connecting flight is now 3 hours earlier from Dublin , when she logged into her booking with Air Canada her original flight has been cancelled for whatever reason and she had been rescheduled on the earlier flight that she was trying to avoid.
    While I understand these things happen ( maybe both flights were combined or whatever), she has not actually been notified by Air Canada yet via email. So not only does she have to arrange childminders etc, she also paid the extra expense of booking a later flight which she no longer has. We only found this out this morning and when we went to contact Air Canada via their website they say they will contact people back within 30 days( flight is in 10 days). We will ring them on Monday morning , the problem is we have no way of proving that her now cancelled fight was significantly more expensive than her " new" earlier flight as flights constantly change prices.
    Sorry for long rant but interested in views before conversation with them
    (1) Can they just cancel your flight and put you on a different one without paying back the difference of the 2 flights on the day of booking( I'm sure their records must have data on daily prices)
    (2) Is it not odd for an Airline to change your flight without notifying you, I know from experience Irish airlines always do it, as said this was only discovered by default when Aer Lingus informed us of change to London flight

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

scanner wrote: »
    Hi
    I would be interested in any views on the following
    My wife booked a flight to Canada with connecting flight to London, when booking she had the option of an early flight or an afternoon flight from London to Calgary, she booked the afternoon flight at a significantly higher cost ( almost €200 extra) as it suited better with kids childminders etc. She has now been informed by default from Aer Lingus that her connecting flight is now 3 hours earlier from Dublin , when she logged into her booking with Air Canada her original flight has been cancelled for whatever reason and she had been rescheduled on the earlier flight that she was trying to avoid.
    While I understand these things happen ( maybe both flights were combined or whatever), she has not actually been notified by Air Canada yet via email. So not only does she have to arrange childminders etc, she also paid the extra expense of booking a later flight which she no longer has. We only found this out this morning and when we went to contact Air Canada via their website they say they will contact people back within 30 days( flight is in 10 days). We will ring them on Monday morning , the problem is we have no way of proving that her now cancelled fight was significantly more expensive than her " new" earlier flight as flights constantly change prices.
    Sorry for long rant but interested in views before conversation with them
    (1) Can they just cancel your flight and put you on a different one without paying back the difference of the 2 flights on the day of booking( I'm sure their records must have data on daily prices)
    (2) Is it not odd for an Airline to change your flight without notifying you, I know from experience Irish airlines always do it, as said this was only discovered by default when Aer Lingus informed us of change to London flight

Thanks

Hi Scanner,

I am assuming the flights were booked as a through fare (booked on a single site and in a single transaction and not 2 seperate bookings)
    Who did your wife book the flights with Aer Lingus or air canada?
    If Aer lingus then you need to deal with them.

If it was a through booking then the airlines will accomodate you and there should be not increase in cost to you otherwise you have the option of a full refund (as fred said)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭scanner

Thanks for your input , yes the flight was booked as one with Air Canada with Aer Lingus providing the Dublin to London part of the journey , but as said the whole contract was undertaken with Air Canada ,
    It is not a major deal now as we have made alternative plans for kids , but I still feel aggrieved that she could have originally booked this exact flight for a lower price , after all the money is better off in our pockets than the airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

See if you can still rebook at the lower rate. If you can, ask for a refund rather than the changed flight, and rebook.

Did you manage to contact air Canada about the difference in fare? What was their response?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Hi need help!!! I book a holiday and got airline e ticket via email.. My daughters passport reads first name my surname and my husbands surname (double barrel) but on the airline ticket her name read " first name and husbands surname " anyone know if this will be a problem ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Lulucas wrote: »
    Hi need help!!! I book a holiday and got airline e ticket via email.. My daughters passport reads first name my surname and my husbands surname (double barrel) but on the airline ticket her name read " first name and husbands surname " anyone know if this will be a problem ???

You need to ask the airline, as they're the only ones that can give you the correct answer to that. In general, any difference, no matter how small, in name on a ticket and name on a Passport will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lulucas wrote: »

What did you enter at the time of booking and in to what boxes?

Some airlines have very strange name processing, e.g. United looking for the full name from the passport but encode mine as "firstname+initial of middle" with no space.

Also, where are you travelling and with who? Certain airlines and certain immigration regimes are more of a problem.

Advertisement