Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tire Vandals Castletroy Area ...?

• 02-04-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Anybody heard of such thing.

It appears somebody screwed a long screw into one of my rear car tires Thursday night. I was down at nearby tyre centre this morning in Rhebogue, met a man from the same area getting the same thing fixed on his car. He lives near me...Could be a coincidence ....I dont know. The mechanic unscrewed the screw at it was 2 inches long, not something you would just drive over, sheer bad luck and slim chance for such a long screw to pierce a tire the way it did. Was same tyre and screw position for both cars. My screw had completely been inserted right into the tire, if I happen to drive over it, the top of the screw would of been flush or near to flush with edge of tire, not in it below the surface of the tire, its was screwed in with a cordless screwgun Im thinking.

Look out people with new cars in the area. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Unless the screw was in the sidewall then it sounds reasonable that both of you have screws in your tyres especially living near each other.

I drive about 100,000kms a year and have had all manner of screws nails and other crap in the tyres. They can really dig in deep like they were screwed in. Annoying they are but thankfully most places only charge €10 to fix.

Unless its the sidewall then it's a whole new tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

haha cheers !! hopefully so...Im a paranoid freak :)

Ya got it fixed for a fiver, gave the guy 10, was totally expecting to have to get a new tire...delighted with quick fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yeah I doubt anyone would go to the hassle of driving it into the road surface of the tyre rather than driving it into the side wall.

Have had big long nails, screws etc. Not so bad since the celtic tiger ran out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'd recommend anyone to buy a puncture repair kit, it'll pay for itself may times over. I've done my own for a couple of years now without any problems.

example - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAR-VAN-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-WITH-10-STRIPS-/141186354685?hash=item20df5ccdfd:g:aZwAAMXQWlFRw~xH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

The Cush wrote: »
    I'd recommend anyone to buy a puncture repair kit, it'll pay for itself may times over. I've done my own for a couple of years now without any problems.

example - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAR-VAN-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-WITH-10-STRIPS-/141186354685?hash=item20df5ccdfd:g:aZwAAMXQWlFRw~xH

I thought they weren't legal anymore ? ( actually maybe legal isn't the right word - up to standard maybe )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jonski wrote: »
    I thought they weren't legal anymore ? ( actually maybe legal isn't the right word - up to standard maybe )

Haven't had a problem with them to date, none have failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Maybe it's the tyre guy doing it

That's what I'd be doing if I owned a tyre shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

at €5 a fix?? he'd have to do a hell a lot of tyres to make it worth while :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Next time you're out and about have a look down at the area of the road between road and footpath, there's some amount of rubbish in there, road sweepers might even just collect it into 1 place, drive through that and your tyres will pick up all kind of rubbish. Add in stuff like debris from crashes, falling from vans, falling from skips and your tyres pick up an awful amount of stuff that can damage them.

Personally, I'd much prefer to give a professional setup €5/€10 to fix a tyre than to risk doing it myself and causing more damage, I've seen the damage a tyre blow out can do so I'm a bit paranoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^

yep, no point in having a blow out on a motorway at 100 kph

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^

yep, no point in having a blow out on a motorway at 100 kph

I was driving home on Friday evening and a VW Golf overtook me like I was standing still (I had cruise control set to 120km), about 4 miles up the road it was pulled in with the drivers wheel on the rim only, the tyre had completely seperated from the allow, I'd say he'll have to get a new rim as well as a tyre, he was lucky he was able to control it with the speed he was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

jonski wrote: »

I think the danger of these repair kits is if you drive on a flat tyre that was punctured by a nail/screw then you have no way of knowing if the nail damaged the interior side wall opposite where the nail punctured the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

phog wrote: »
    I think the danger of these repair kits is if you drive on a flat tyre that was punctured by a nail/screw then you have no way of knowing if the nail damaged the interior side wall opposite where the nail punctured the tyre.

if it's the side wall then the tyre is beyond repair in any case

have been using these kits for years, with no problems but common sense must prevail to what is repairable or no.

if in doubt leave it to the professionals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

orm0nd wrote: »
    if it's the side wall then the tyre is beyond repair in any case

have been using these kits for years, with no problems but common sense must prevail to what is repairable or no.

if in doubt leave it to the professionals

Using the repair kit doesn't afford you that opportunity to check the internal of the tyre for damage. Imho, there's a huge doubt unless you know you didn't drive on a flat or deflated tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

leakyboots wrote: »
    Maybe it's the tyre guy doing it

That's what I'd be doing if I owned a tyre shop

haha thats what he told me :-p
    fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

at €5 a fix?? he'd have to do a hell a lot of tyres to make it worth while :p

well there was me and enough fella the time I was there... so Im sure he does fine, I gave him a tenner anyway !! Was only delighted I didn't have to replace a tire for a low profile 20" rim :)

Parkway tires, Rhebogue, 5 bucks, can recommend them, nice guys, was done in 5 mins !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Very nice fella, usually get my tyres from him

Advertisement