Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agents letting electrics go off all the time

Options
  • 02-04-2016 1:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We had a fire in our apartment block a few months ago. All of us has to stay in a hotel for a few weeks, constantly being told we could move back in by the estate agents every few days. One time we checked out, moved all our stuff back and the place was still in bits, not even near ready.

So we move back in, give the estate agent receipts for expenses as was agreed (1000e between us to be paid by insurance company) - and our apartment block is powered by noisy generators and we have no hot water. We don't get hot water for over a month even though we are told constantly it will be a few days. we eventually get it back via installation of a noisy electric boiler - a new bill we didn't have before as hot water was free and available 24/7. Manual immersion with no timer now.

We still haven't gotten the 1000e expenses.

Meanwhile we have been living with these noisy generators outside our door for a couple months now. It's like being beside a car engine at all times. To make it worse the estate agents have not been paying for constant fuel deliveries at all, the electricity and water keeps going now, it was off twice last weekend, off during the week for a day, and it's off again now. Can't cook, wash, heat the place even.

The only reason it comes back on at all is the guy that supplies the generators is really nice and comes out to help, because the estate agents have no emergency contact. They don't answer any number at the weekend. The inbox for their voicemail is full, I imagine with complaints. They don't answer emails at all, been two months since they did. I have raised concerns about mould due to the no heating, the intercom not working for the building - so people knocking on our windows 24/7 trying to get into the apartment block. If you ring they say sorry, they will fix it - nothing happens.

So we are sat here with no electricity or water again, nobody to contact about it all weekend, they ignore emails, haven't paid expenses from the insurance company - what can we even do?

I know some people have stopped paying rent for some of the months - I felt that wasn't the way to do things as it legally puts us in the wrong, but it's getting mighty tempting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lodge a PRTB case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can only take a prtb case against the landlord themselves, who I doubt even knows this is happening. I asked for his details over the phone before and was told "we prefer to be the ones who will contact him, no" even though I now see they legally have to tell me

I've asked some other tenants to lodge cases too

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to hear this.

Assuming the property is registered, you can get the landlord's contact details from the PRTB.

You can lodge a noise complaint with the council, but you need to write to the party generating the noise first.

Has there been no progress on restoring mains supplied electricity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You can only take a prtb case against the landlord themselves, who I doubt even knows this is happening. I asked for his details over the phone before and was told "we prefer to be the ones who will contact him, no" even though I now see they legally have to tell me

I've asked some other tenants to lodge cases too

The agent would be obliged to pass on the landlords name and address to you. You can report them to the PSRA for not doing what they are supposed to do as agents for the property. You can also check that they are properly licensed as property agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

At this stage I would be going mad. You're paying rent to live there & having to put up with that?

I'd forget emails & phone calls. Go to the agent in person on Monday & don't leave until you get the landlord's number. Fill him in on exactly what the problems are & follow up with it in writing. Tell him you a lodging a case with the PRTB.

And in the meantime, if it were me, I'd be looking for a new place to live as my no. 1 priority.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Victor wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this.

Assuming the property is registered, you can get the landlord's contact details from the PRTB.

You can lodge a noise complaint with the council, but you need to write to the party generating the noise first.

Has there been no progress on restoring mains supplied electricity?

They have seemingly started work today as our electricity and water are off now, and there is lots of drilling etc.
    Don't even know if they are anything got to do with electricity though.

Surely we should be given some sort of warning?

Advertisement