Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrow for renovation

Options
  • 02-04-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to borrow for renovations when getting a mortgage? Looking at a house well below budget that needs work. Only problem is with the deposit we won't have enough for renovation- we have enough to do the main stuff but ideally I'd like a small extension but I'd need more cash for that. Any chance the bank is flexible, or for a fixer upper do you need cash

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sala wrote: »
    Is it possible to borrow for renovations when getting a mortgage? Looking at a house well below budget that needs work. Only problem is with the deposit we won't have enough for renovation- we have enough to do the main stuff but ideally I'd like a small extension but I'd need more cash for that. Any chance the bank is flexible, or for a fixer upper do you need cash

Yes the banks will allow for extra with conditions.
    Some require a before and after valuation to ensure that you still fall within the CB rules.

You can also get home improvement loans but these are at a higher rate and usually 10 year term is the max, Ulster Bank for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

kceire wrote: »
    Yes the banks will allow for extra with conditions.
    Some require a before and after valuation to ensure that you still fall within the CB rules.

You can also get home improvement loans but these are at a higher rate and usually 10 year term is the max, Ulster Bank for example.

Thanks a mil. Yeah I saw the home improvement loans they are dear. We would be borrowing 120k less than approved for for the actual house so I was hoping they would thanks that into account

Edit- sorry how does that work??? Thinking about it- say I buy the
    House and put 100k work in. That increases market value by 70k.... Technically the MV means my deposit requirement is even higher? So I need MORE cash to fall within the rules ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The works you carry out would have to increase the value beyond what you borrow in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Sorry to hijack your thread op but I have a similar question. Does anyone know if you could buy a property with cash - let's say 200k and then get a mortgage of 200k after you've bought it to do it up? would you still need a deposit for the 200k mortgage or is it ok for your deposit to be spent on the original purchase?

Advertisement