Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Gigafactory progress.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

And looking at the world interest in them I'd say this car is going to be a massive sell .

Pull their finger out is right mad lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Biggest kickstarter ever :D

peposhi wrote: »
    232k, Mad Lad

232,000 reservations now ? F**K, that's mental. That's almost more than the total worldwide Leaf sales so far ?

There's going to me major delays, they are not going to be able to do this. I'd say it could well be late 2018 before it's available here or the U.K ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And looking at the world interest in them I'd say this car is going to be a massive sell .

Pull their finger out is right mad lad

That's if they can pull it off, orders for 200,000 at 35k each. They haven't mass produced cars to that extent, I really hope they can do it, but part of me is nervous for them.

The delivery date will probably baby be 2019 but by taking deposits they have effectively cock blocked the Chevy bolt of 200,000 who want an e car.

Now would be a really good time to sell, orders for 200,000+ That's 8.12billion worth of orders in 2 days.

• Advertisement

That's a lot of individuals.

If say this level of pre order will seriously rebound on tesla , leaving aside there will be considerable row back before punters pay for the car. Tesla will have an enormous job of managing customer expectation, especially as they tend to deliver late of build promises.

The numbers are close to 300k which is three times more cars then tesla has made in its whole history !

Spare a thought for the production engineers , I'd say they'll be snorting speed by the bucket and petitioning God for 10 hours a day extra. !!!

Over trading is actually worse and kills businesses then under trading

Why I think it's not possible for Tesla to meet demand is the fact Nissan have produced a few shy of 200,000 Leafs since 2011, Nissan is a major Auto company that is well established.

A lot of people could be waiting a very long time.

It's quiet possible that it could be after 2020 before it's available to buy by those who have not paid a deposit unless they can ramp up production fast, I can't see this happening. Elon already said pre orders are well past expectations.

Why I think it's not possible for Tesla to meet demand is the fact Nissan have produced a few shy of 200,000 Leafs since 2011, Nissan is a major Auto company that is well established.

A lot of people could be waiting a very long time.

It's quiet possible that it could be after 2020 before it's available to buy by those who have not paid a deposit unless they can ramp up production fast, I can't see this happening. Elon already said pre orders are well past expectations.

I wonder if they could out source production yo other manufacturers . And if so at what price and would it then be the battery supply that causes a bottle neck

I don't think they could do that for a cost of 35K USD.

• Advertisement

I don't think they could do that for a cost of 35K USD.

If the Dacia duster can be sold for 15k it may be possible

Dacia Duster is a completely different "yoke"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Elon Musk has done a lot of things that people said could not be done, I believe he will do more.

Comparing 3 and Leaf production numbers is not valid. Nissan could have produced as many Leafs as it wanted just that the demand is not there. The car is assembled with Juke Note etc. and they could make 500k a year in Sunderland alone if the demand was there. Nissan also has three battery factories and they are currently very underutilized.

Tesla has plenty of space in their current facility to build more production lines as S/X production only takes minuscule amount of available floor space. When it was GM/Toyota facility it produced hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year. Edit: Seemed to had produced up to 500k a year vehicles in the past.

Elon Musk has done a lot of things that people said could not be done, I believe he will do more.

Yes but he has produced cars that are up to 17 months late. And the latest consumer reports don't make good reading on reliability, even if seemingly the service in the USA has been excellent

Going from manufacturing 50,000 a year today to 500,000 will not be easy , not easy at all.

I worked on the design of engine assembly robots in the 80s , the worst thing a production design engineer can hear is " hold everything , I want to double production numbers "

It will be interesting to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ted1 wrote: »
    I really hope they can do it, but part of me is nervous for them.

Of all the stuff they've done, scaling up production isn't going to be the most daunting.

Zillah wrote: »
    Of all the stuff they've done, scaling up production isn't going to be the most daunting.

Actually it is , most likely. I hope the cash burn doesn't kill them.
    WsJ has another cynical article I see. What did musk do to them. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Fantastic ! IF anyone will get to Mars it will be Elon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think some people hope Elon takes a one way ticket there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement